Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-03-2005, 06:45 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Are there disadvantages to acrylic stamps?

I've been hearing a lot about CTMH's acrylic stamps. I understand some of the advantages of seeing exactly where you are stamping, being able to stamp entire words/phrases at one time, and less storage space. Are there any disadvantages? What about the actual acrylic material as opposed to the rubber? Or other things about it? I'd like to hear both sides in order to make an informed decision.

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/spedabstbit
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 07:01 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have only a couple. I do like the idea of being able to see where I stamped. Some things that I don't like is that the rubber is different. So if you stamp too hard it looks smeared. Also sometimes when you are cleaning them on a stamp pad they "roll" off the block. Not really a big deal just minor thing. Sometimes it takes more time to stamp b/c of having to assembe the stamp unless you have a bunch of blocks put that would defeat their purpose of it though. I do like them. I just don't use them as much as i thought. I guess I am lazy since I can't just grap and stamp. I like the alphabet though b/c I can make any word i want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 07:05 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

A friend of mine sells them & I've tried to like them, but I don't. I just can't get a clear image with them. I prefer wood & rubber.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 07:10 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

My best Friend is a CTMH demo. I also like the clear acrylic clock, but I do not think the acrylic gives a crisp clear image.
I am thinking about trying the Easymount system. Best of both worlds....Clear blocks and rubber!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 09:31 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

I've really, really tried to love my clear stamps. One thing I'm finding is that they eventually lose their stick. In cleaning or using pigment ink or something, they just seem to get less sticky over time and then they fall off the block. Also, I lost the small w out of one of the alphabets. This made me CRAZY!!!!

But I'm forging forward and looking into EZ mount. I think very small stamps aren't the best for this system, but anything bigger than a dime would be great. I think the rubber holds up better and is easier to clean. But I like using the EZ mount system for mounting and the cost effectiveness and storage options for acrilic block systems.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2005, 10:02 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I had a CTMH demo show me the acrylic stamps one time. She lost one while she was showing them to me!!! :shock: Other than that, they seemed okay, but I was too afraid I'd lose them to spend the money on them!

Dejah (janz)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 12:19 AM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

Default acrylic block vs wooden block

My next door neighbor is a CTMH demenstrator and I like the idea of seeing where I am stamping but there are drawback's that I have found. One, the constant pulling off the block or the storage card, can tear the smaller images. Two, the price of purchasing just one complete set of blocks is over $200 dollars (Canadian). Do you know how many SU sets I can buy for $200 dollars!!!!!

I do like the sayings for tital pages and if I can get my husband to cut me some acrylic block to leave them on then the investment would be worth it. I just can't get past the investment of the blocks, for now I will just have to deal with my one set and 2 blocks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 01:57 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

I just finished converting 40 SU! sets to EZ mount..and this week a friend showed me her acrylics...she says they don't give as clear an image as rubber, and they get covered with lint, and you need a different type of cleaner....

So far no problems with EZ mount...Sunday international gave a discount for demos, and i ordered two sets of acrylic blocks, and three packs of cd cases, and two packs of folders, and 10 sheets of the smaller foam.....I am really pleased...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 03:24 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I haven't found any disadvantages yet. I did find that one of my small stamps looked smudged if I pushed too hard but I also find the same to be true with some wood mounted stamps.

I love being able to take a long block and using an alphabet set on it to spell out a word. I can position it EXACTLY where I want it before I stamp and it comes out perfect I think being able to mount more than one piece of rubber on a block is one of the things that I really like the most. If I'm stamping in one color it saves times ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 03:38 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I "think" therefore I am LOL :oops: (Sorry super corny) It seems that the people who have CTMH acrylix the biggest problem seems to be the stamps themselves. Other people who use rubber and acrylic seem pretty happy even those with alphabets. (They just try to be vigilant about keeping track)

I am seriously going to unmount my SU! stamps one day, simply for the space. I won't be selling them, I have to keep them ALL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 03:54 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

I haven't tried CTMH but I ordered from TAC about a month or so ago and I really like those stamps...

Now that being said I didn't buy stamp sets that have a lot of pieces and I don't have an over abundance of stamp sets so I have been keeping the sets in the little conatiner it came in...

I got a set of blocks from TAC for less than $6 and they were more than adequate for what I needed...I do like the idea that I could "see" exactly where the stamp was mounted on the block and see where I was putting the image.

I know I will be buying more from TAC - they have some super cute stamp sets (and cheap if you get unmounted) that SU doesn't have anything similar to...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 04:03 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

It would be nice if SU! would offer both wood mounted and unmounted as TAC does. Maybe some day.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 04:10 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Default The EZ mount system is the way to go!

I have been using TAC stamps for 2 years now and I love the ease of storing them (no more questions from DH...how many stamps do you have???), I like being able to see where I am stamping, and they rinse off easily under water. I never have them slip and they are still sticking without problems.

I am biased though! :lol:

http://allamericanstampers.tripod.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 04:21 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Losing stamps...

I don't know if this is true with CTMH stamps, but I make the clear acrylic stamps at home and I used to sometimes lose the smaller ones. But now, as soon as I make them, I stamp them with permanent black ink. They stain and, althought they're not as pretty, I don't lose them! And you can still see to get perfect placement.

As far as storage, I just stick them in between the pages of plastic page protectors. I then stamp a piece of paper with the designs so I can thumb through my binder and easily see which ones I have. If mine become un-sticky, I wash them with dish soap and water and they regain their tackiness.

Finally, I'm no expert, but I just use windex on my stamp cleaner pad and they clean great. They haven't degraded at all over time.

If you have any original designs you want made into stamps, or fonts that you want made into stamps, email me and I'll give you more info!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 04:41 AM   #15  
Total Quack

It is my understanding that you can't use bleach for the bleaching technique on the acrylic stamps.

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 04:43 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

I have to say, I'm a HUGE fan of the CTMH acrylic blocks. Yes, they're more expensive, but they're a lot more comfortable to stamp with (imho) if you're doing a lot of stamping or something that takes fine control (where you'll be gripping the block hard). I bought the set of blocks from TAC thinking I'd save some $ and I've been re-buying them from CTMH slowly, because those corners on the cheaper ones are SHARP!

I do wish SU offered the unmounted w/EZ mount. I haven't unmounted yet, but storage is an issue.

Kate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 04:55 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Here is some helpful info regarding the CTMH line of Acrylic stamps:

My Acrylix™ Care and Cleaning

As part of our My Acrylix durability studies we’ve done extensive research on the best ways to clean and care for our new stamps and mounting blocks. For best results, we recommend the following:

1. Clean your stamps (and the block if needed) immediately after use. The longer ink remains, the more difficult it will be to remove. (Pigment inks such as Close To My Heart Archival Ink and Staz On will permanently discolor the stamp image. As was the case with rubber, you will also notice that over time darker inks like reds and purples will also cause some discoloration.)

2. Use My Acrylix Spritz or Stamp Cleaner and the Double Scrubber for regular cleaning. These products are the most effective at removing residual ink, and will not damage My Acrylix regardless of use. We recommend cleaning the stamps while still on the blocks. (Wash your Double Scrubber pads in the dishwasher to remove excess fibers.)

3. Use soap and water to restore tack. Dust, dirt, and oils may cause your stamps to become less sticky over time. If you find they seem less adhesive, simply wash the stamps with dish soap and water to restore their original “stick.�? (Continual use of soap and water will eventually cause a build-up. We recommend using this method occasionally, only as needed.)

4. Use alcohol to remove residue. If you notice a residue on the back of your stamps, rub them with alcohol using a non-abrasive, fiber free cloth. DO NOT USE ALCOHOL ON MY ACRYLIX BLOCKS. (Extensive use of alcohol is not recommended. Use this method occasionally, only as needed.)

The following are answers to several Frequently Asked Questions in regards to the care of My Acrylix.

Q. Will Staz On ink or cleaner damage My Acrylix?

A. Staz On ink was designed for permanently decorating non-porous surfaces such as glass, metal, and ceramic, not for use in albums or with paper crafts. The ink has no effect on the stamp or block, other than discoloration. We recommend cleaning your stamps with the Spritz or Stamp Cleaner as outlined above, immediately after use for best results.

Staz On Cleaner was designed to erase mistakes or residual ink on your stamped surface before the ink dries. Although it is safe to use on your stamps, we do not recommend using Staz On cleaner (or any oil based cleaner) on My Acrylix blocks.

Q. Will alcohol damage My Acrylix?

A. As discussed above, alcohol is okay for the occasional cleaning of stamps only. We do not recommend cleaning My Acrylix blocks with alcohol-based products, as the alcohol may cause hairline fractures in the material.

Q. Is the My Acrylix Spritz Cleaner different from the Spritz Cleaner previously available?

A. No. Although we changed the name and packaging to reflect the My Acrylix brand, the product is the same. This cleaner is the preferred method of regular cleaning.

Q. Can I use baby wipes to clean my stamps?

A. Baby wipes will leave a fibrous residue on both the stamps and blocks. Although they will not damage My Acrylix, we do not recommend their use.

Q. Can I use dish soap and water instead of the Spritz or Stamp Cleaner to clean My Acrylix?

A. As mentioned, soap and water is very effective at removing the dust and dirt that can reduce “stickiness�? over time. Continual use however, will cause a build up on your stamps. To remove ink, we recommend using the Spritz or Stamp Cleaner and the Double Scrubber as outlined.

Q. Can I use acetone to clean My Acrylix?

A. We do not recommend the use of acetone on any stamping product.

Q. I often use the bleaching technique. Will this harm my stamps?

A. Using the bleaching technique will not harm your stamps. We recommend that you use bleach with caution however, and immediately remove it from your stamps with the Spritz or Stamp Cleaner.

Q. I sometimes get ink on my block when stamping. What’s the best way to clean it?

A. Clean My Acrylix blocks immediately after use with the Spritz or Stamp Cleaner as needed. Do not use alcohol or oil based cleaners.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 05:16 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Default Acrylic Stamps

I have some CTMH and Stampendous acrylic stamps, and the only disadvantage I have found is that I don't like to take the time to peel and stick, unpeel and stick. Yes, the storage is great, and yes the ability to line up words and letters is great, but SU's wood and rubber will always be my preference. BTW, I think CTMH's quality of acrylic is better than Stampendous.
Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 05:42 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

I have several sets and I just cannot get a good quality image out of them. It's very frustrating! I do like the flexibility of the alphabets though, I will probably buy more of those because you can just build your word on your acrylic block and know ahead of time if your letters are lined up well. I will not buy anything other than alphabets or sayings from CTMH again, I'm that unhappy with the quality of the images I've gotten.

I bought some acrylic blocks for cheap off of ebay, knowing they wouldn't be as nice as the CTMH, but also that they wouldn't be as expensive. The edges were all rough, so I had my husband fetch me the drimmel tool and I smoothed all the edges...it worked like a champ!
Reply With Quote Likes