Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-20-2018, 11:03 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Take Your Pick Tool

For those who have used it how do you like the new StampinUp Take Your Pick tool? Does it work well?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2018, 12:26 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hm, while I haven't tried this particular tool, I'm not fond of 'multi-tools with changeable parts' in general unless they're all built-in. Changing tips tends to be more fiddly than just having the correct tool at hand ready to go, and small tips like to escape under paper scraps or off the table and then you spend frustrating minutes trying to find the darn things again!

That said, I have a standard version of that mini-spatula and it's my absolute favourite craft tool. If you work with any kind of adhesive, sticker, or glue, it's a real gem. 10/10 would not craft without a palette knife/mini-spatula. So if you don't have one of those, I can see it being a worthwhile pickup. Odds are we all have multiple embossing tools already anyways, so you could just leave that tip in the storage bin for good.

I'm guessing the 'putty' is nothing more than poster tack, so you could also save yourself a ton of money on wasteful plastic refills by buying a package of it at the dollar store. Enough in one of those it'd probably last you for life if you're only using it for this tool. If you only want the sequin/piece picker-upper part, check out diamond painting tools, as they're pretty much the same thing without the twistable end. Heck you could probably make one easily enough out of an old pen and some poster tack.

In fact the Stampin' Up tool putty part looks suspiciously similar to the Pick Me Up Pen from this video...

Last edited by Embri; 09-20-2018 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbAhTyit4Xk
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2018, 12:27 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Forgot to put 'to' between 'like' and 'escape', added for clarity.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2018, 03:03 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Thank you so much for the helpful information. Will look around for some other options.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2018, 05:33 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmbriView Post
Hm, while I haven't tried this particular tool, I'm not fond of 'multi-tools with changeable parts' in general unless they're all built-in. Changing tips tends to be more fiddly than just having the correct tool at hand ready to go, and small tips like to escape under paper scraps or off the table and then you spend frustrating minutes trying to find the darn things again!

That said, I have a standard version of that mini-spatula and it's my absolute favourite craft tool. If you work with any kind of adhesive, sticker, or glue, it's a real gem. 10/10 would not craft without a palette knife/mini-spatula. So if you don't have one of those, I can see it being a worthwhile pickup. Odds are we all have multiple embossing tools already anyways, so you could just leave that tip in the storage bin for good.

I'm guessing the 'putty' is nothing more than poster tack, so you could also save yourself a ton of money on wasteful plastic refills by buying a package of it at the dollar store. Enough in one of those it'd probably last you for life if you're only using it for this tool. If you only want the sequin/piece picker-upper part, check out diamond painting tools, as they're pretty much the same thing without the twistable end. Heck you could probably make one easily enough out of an old pen and some poster tack.

In fact the Stampin' Up tool putty part looks suspiciously similar to the Pick Me Up Pen from this video...
OT That�s intriguing. I use a variety of liquid and dry adhesives, but have only used a palette knife for applying something like embossing paste, or gesso for texture before painting over it, nothing else that comes to mind.

The SU putty tool also looks like another brand I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2018, 05:43 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

It is like the Silhouette tool but with other pieces/options added to it. If I were newer to crafting and didn’t have several of the tools already or just wanted a multi-purpose tool (handy for crafting on the go) I would seriously consider this one. That said, I have read a few reviews from people who do not care for the putty end of the tool as it can leak out sometimes. I never experienced that with my silhouette tool but thought I would mention it just in case.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2018, 09:09 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
OT That�s intriguing. I use a variety of liquid and dry adhesives, but have only used a palette knife for applying something like embossing paste, or gesso for texture before painting over it, nothing else that comes to mind.

The SU putty tool also looks like another brand I have.

I use my mini-spatula pretty much anytime I'm using liquid glue. It's ideal for getting that bit of extra PVA underneath something that's already partially stuck down, spreading glue, or wrangling paper pieces with glue on the back. I'll stamp the glue onto the piece with my glue dauber, then use the palette knife to pick it up, flip it over, and position on the card. Or use it to pry up stickers, or scrape away extra adhesive. (Silicone paint shapers are also good for that, FYI.)

But I'd agree if you have most or all of these tools already, the SU one doesn't bring much to the table. Having to change tips and then store them somewhere while not in use isn't conducive to a good workflow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2018, 02:30 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

I use my mini-spatula pretty much anytime I'm using liquid glue. It's ideal for getting that bit of extra PVA underneath something that's already partially stuck down, spreading glue, or wrangling paper pieces with glue on the back. I'll stamp the glue onto the piece with my glue dauber, then use the palette knife to pick it up, flip it over, and position on the card. Or use it to pry up stickers, or scrape away extra adhesive. (Silicone paint shapers are also good for that, FYI.)

But I'd agree if you have most or all of these tools already, the SU one doesn't bring much to the table. Having to change tips and then store them somewhere while not in use isn't conducive to a good workflow.

OT I�m not tip-changer either - it�s enough keeping track of tops to bottles/jars/etc., and have plenty of tools (translation: too many). I use a needle tip on my main adhesive bottles, so that scoots glue under tiny edges or bits. It also works even if using a different type of adhesive, liquid or dry. I use reverse tweezers a lot. Being a tool junky, I was curious how you used the spatula, and will be eyeing it a bit more down the road, thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2018, 04:53 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

Thanks Embri for the spatula tips. I have one but never thought about using it with glue. The positioning of a glued up piece seems really helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2018, 07:20 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

OT - Positioning's the primary thing that makes a spatula MVT at my craft table - you can sort of float the glued or sticky piece over whatever you're attaching to, and get it exactly where you want it without that smear of glue that happens when you try the same thing with fingers. I hate those smears; they make your piece look like a grade school craft project. >:C Yeah you can just use tape, but I find adhesive just doesn't hold as well as good old PVA glue for most materials.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2018, 12:41 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I think the Take Your Pick tool looks well made from the other similar tools on the market. The construction seems to match the price. I am comparing it to my pick it up tool that is made out of plastic and cost $6, lol. I prefer metal over plastic. I didn't pay $6 for mine. ;) It was a gift.

I agree with Embri about the palette knife. I have a thin palette knife that I love. I power use it.

My pick up stick I would never use it unless I could refill it. I really detest expensive consumable tools. I refill mine with poster tack. I do power use my pick up stick. I do a lot of paper piecing. That thing is a game changer for me when picking up tiny little pieces. I also use it to pick up small items in my home. A couple of weeks ago I put my needle threader in the wrong compartment of my sewing basket. I couldn't get it out. No problem with the pick up tool. Of course I could have also just used poster tack on a toothpick. ;)

I agree about switching out tools. My pick up stick I have it set up for paper piecing. I tend to forget there is another part on that tool. I prefer to have all my tools separate.

With all that being said I do think this one is a better value if you are in the market for this kind of tool. I am not an SU demo or anything. I buy all of my SU off of Ebay. I have always liked how well made their tools are. I like that it has metal pieces instead of plastic.

I know a lot of you are SU girl's and do the classes and meet ups. You need a filler in your orders sometimes. I think it would be a good filler. I think it would be easier to travel with for those of you who attend classes, meetups & events.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2018, 10:53 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
My pick up stick I would never use it unless I could refill it. I really detest expensive consumable tools. I refill mine with poster tack.

This would be my primary complaint for the Take your Pick tool; there's no reason you wouldn't make a refillable version of this except greed. What a waste to throw out 1/4 of the tool each time you use up the putty. Why? :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2018, 11:07 AM   #13  

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

Quote:

This would be my primary complaint for the Take your Pick tool; there's no reason you wouldn't make a refillable version of this except greed. What a waste to throw out 1/4 of the tool each time you use up the putty. Why? :confused:

The SU! tool is refillable. SU! sells refills for the putty part of the tool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2018, 11:24 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnsteeleView Post
The SU! tool is refillable. SU! sells refills for the putty part of the tool.
It's 'refillable' by throwing away 1/4 of the plastic tool for 0.02� of poster putty. I wouldn't call that 'refillable', and definitely not a good value or environmentally friendly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2018, 04:26 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm totally, decidedly low-tech on this topic. I use beeswax on a toothpick...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2018, 07:45 PM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I'm totally, decidedly low-tech on this topic. I use beeswax on a toothpick...

I like this idea, thanks for sharing it! I am betting that you can get a pretty tiny piece of beeswax on the end of a toothpick. Which would be ideal for my needs.
One of my pet peeves with the pickup sticks that have the putty tip is the oddly massive size of the putty unit. It makes one end of the pick up stick heavier than the other end, and I consciously have to compensate for the imbalance. Also, whenever I do use the putty end of the stick, I always feel like I am trying to see around that big apparatus that holds the putty supply. The only plus in my mind of having the stick with the putty pot on the end is that it makes it easy to spot in my stand of supplies - that sucker is so large there is no hiding it!

For clarification, I�m a petite lady with small hands. If the pick up stick was offered in a scaled down version I would be all over it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2018, 03:55 AM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

I don't know about the SU putty tool, but my silhouette tool has been a pain since day one. The tip keeps coming unscrewed and the putty "leaks" out after you quit turning the knob. I have a jewelry picker tool I use now. Nothing needs refilled. If it loses its sticky, you just roll it on tape to clean. Its by marvy uchida and Walmart online has one for less than $4.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2018, 10:12 AM   #18  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
I don't know about the SU putty tool, but my silhouette tool has been a pain since day one. The tip keeps coming unscrewed and the putty "leaks" out after you quit turning the knob. I have a jewelry picker tool I use now. Nothing needs refilled. If it loses its sticky, you just roll it on tape to clean. Its by marvy uchida and Walmart online has one for less than $4.
Exactly my take on the putty tool and the jewel picker. Also the putty tip won�t release well. It�s hard to get just the right pressure and I either end up prying stuff off or having it drop off in the wrong place. I got a jewel picker that looks like a white prismacolor pencil. I think they are used to pick up jewels added to manicures. It picks up the little stuff. When it loses its stick I sharpen it. It cost 1.50 at Daiso. I also have the Marvy one. It works well too.

I am going to try the beeswax/toothpick. That sounds like a really great idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2018, 10:39 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Well I bought it, hoping it would help as my fingers can't pick up super tiny items and depending on my if I have blurry eyes while crafting I thought it would help me.

I had no idea that there were other tools out there to help with tiny items for crafting.

I will let you know how I like the SU pickup tool when I receive it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2018, 07:22 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
I don't know about the SU putty tool, but my silhouette tool has been a pain since day one. The tip keeps coming unscrewed and the putty "leaks" out after you quit turning the knob. ... ...
Ditto! Plus the leaked putty once practically "locked" the lid on tight to the point of utter frustration.
Reply With Quote Likes