Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-25-2011, 07:27 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swap question

This is my first time swapping and I'm not getting how you mail the swap. Sorry if I'm being really dumb, but I don't get how you put the same size envie in another envie...especially if you use a bubble mailer or flat rate envie. I'm thinking the $4.95 flat rate envie might be the cheapest way to go (I could be wrong) which is when I started thinking about this. First and foremost, I don't get how one will fit in the other. Then I'm unsure how you get the stamps for it because I didn't even know those got stamps...never used them before. As you can tell, I'm clueless! I tried emailing the swap hostess to ask her all this a couple of days ago but haven't heard back from her. I need to get this in the mail in the next few days! Help!
Thanks.

I want to buy everything!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2011, 07:52 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the Wonderfu; World of Swapping! I usually just fold my SASE and put it inside the outer envelope. Sometimes, depending on what I'm swapping and how full the envelope is, I'll use an envelope one size smaller for for SASE and just put it inside the outer envelope. If I'm mailing a little late and need to send the package by Priority Mail, I'll just use Priority for the outgoing package and use regular postage on my SASE. Hope this helps a little!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2011, 08:23 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

This is what I do:

1. I address a SASE bubble envelope that will fit my swap cards.
2. I then address another bubble envelope to the hostess that will fit my SASE envelope and my swap cards. (Often, I end up following the SASE bubble envelope in half rather than using the outer that is too much larger).
3. Take everything to the post office and have it weighed.
4. First I give them the SASE envelope with the swap cards and ask them how much it costs and ask for the stamps to cover that cost (not metered) and put on the SASE envelope.
5. Then I put the SASE envelope and the swap cards in the envelope addressed to the hostess and pay to mail it.

Couple things:
1. You may want to use a flat rate priority mail envelope to the hostess if you are trying to meet a deadline or if it is a swap where you are sending lots of cards and may be cheaper.
2. Don't forget to include the extra stamps (not metered) with your cards that the hostess normally requires. She may need these extra stamps if the cards you are receiving back weigh more than the cards you send. If she does not need these stamps, she sends them back to you.
3. I have never participated in 3-D type swaps only card swaps. I can't give you any suggestions on those.

HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2011, 10:10 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it! Anyone else have any suggestions or tips?

I want to buy everything!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2011, 10:22 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Make sure you put your cards in a zip-lock type baggie because sometimes mail gets soaked and your cards would be ruined.

Also put a small index card or piece of paper inside that baggie with the name and address of the person to whom it's going. I have actually had an envelope being sent to me rip open, but the post office delivered the contents because they knew where to send it.

And, like previous posters have said, do NOT use metered strips on the return envelope because those are dated when printed and the post office goes nuts when the date is more than 24 hours wrong from the date you actually mailed it. Use actual stamps instead and include either more stamps or cash just in case the return envelope costs more to get back to you than it did to get to the hostess.

Good luck and have fun!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamper for funView Post
This is what I do:

1. I address a SASE bubble envelope that will fit my swap cards.
2. I then address another bubble envelope to the hostess that will fit my SASE envelope and my swap cards. (Often, I end up following the SASE bubble envelope in half rather than using the outer that is too much larger).
3. Take everything to the post office and have it weighed.
4. First I give them the SASE envelope with the swap cards and ask them how much it costs and ask for the stamps to cover that cost (not metered) and put on the SASE envelope.
5. Then I put the SASE envelope and the swap cards in the envelope addressed to the hostess and pay to mail it.

Couple things:
1. You may want to use a flat rate priority mail envelope to the hostess if you are trying to meet a deadline or if it is a swap where you are sending lots of cards and may be cheaper.
2. Don't forget to include the extra stamps (not metered) with your cards that the hostess normally requires. She may need these extra stamps if the cards you are receiving back weigh more than the cards you send. If she does not need these stamps, she sends them back to you.
3. I have never participated in 3-D type swaps only card swaps. I can't give you any suggestions on those.

HTH.
Oh, one last thing, follow any other hostess shipping instructions listed for the swap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS RAK Coordinator
Swapper of the Month December 2012

Received 3,292 Likes on 2,479 Posts

This is what I do---I put each set of cards in a ziploc bag and put the couple of extra stamps in one of the ziploc bags. I address the bubble envie that comes back to me and put my cards in that. I do have a postal scale at home, so I weigh teh bubble envie with the cards in it and put on the needed postage. I then put that bubble envie inside of a manilla envie that is the next size up--like 6x9 bubble inside of a 8x10 non bubble manilla envie. That way I save money on only using one bubble envie, but my cards are protected in the bubble envie going to the hostess and then back home again to me. Depending on the weight--less than 13 ounces--I will then weigh at home and put in the mailbox. Or, if I am heading to town, I do go to the post office.

Hope this helps--Barb

Join Our Challenge Your Stash Group--click Here!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2011, 06:55 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

On the envelope thing, you don't need to include a Priority Mail envelope unless the hostess wants you to, because they're free at the Post Office. Just include the Priority Mail stamp (you can get that at the Post Office) or a check to cover the cost of postage.

If you want to use first class mail, just put your stamps on the SASE, then fold it in half.

Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2011, 06:57 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

If you are doing more than one swap- like a feminine birthday card and a masculine birthday card, label each ziplock bag, even if it seems obvious. Putting your splitcoast id and "feminine birthday" helps a lot- swap hostesses might get 300 cards at a time, and it is hard to keep them all straight.
Reply With Quote Likes