Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-16-2005, 03:03 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Survival Kit for Cancer

I need to find some idea's for a kit. My FIL just found out he has CANCER again!!! He is so sad and has a hard time even looking at his Family, he is just heart broken, anyways does anyone know where I can find some ideas or items to put into a kit?
Any help would be so cooooool.

Thanks for your help
Dee
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2005, 03:37 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

From dragonfly dream...

"The contents of the baskets depend upon what has been donated at any particular time. We always make sure that the general feel of the baskets is one of warmth and caring. We've had donations from people across the US, even internationally. People have donated beautiful handmade cards, journals, eyeglass holders, as well as hand knit and/or crocheted pieces. A typical basket might include:

� A candle as a symbol of hope

� A humorous card to elicit a laugh

� A stuffed animal to comfort

� Poetry to stimulate introspection

� A milagro to inspire miracles

� Luxury bath items to soothe

� Art pieces to symbolize creativity

� A scarf or hat to provide warmth

� Messages of hope by cancer survivors, creating a bond.

The lesson from Charlie Brown: The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2005, 04:46 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

My friends did a "hat shower" for me. I know a guy might not like this, but I did.
I can send you a letter of inspiration if you want. I am an almost 5 year survivor of stage 4 ovarian cancer!!! YEAH!!
The above list is great. All those things would have lifted me up. Support from friends & family helped me through along with my faith. The faith really brought me through.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2005, 05:04 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I had cancer 10 years ago and my treatments made me so nauseous that I all I wanted to do was sit around and watch tv. We rented so many movies...so if he is a movie watcher, how about a blockbuster card?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2005, 05:19 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

[QUOTE=barryswife]
I can send you a letter of inspiration if you want. I am an almost 5 year survivor of stage 4 ovarian cancer!!! YEAH!!
QUOTE]

WOW! Stage 4??? Amazing!
How long did you do chemo? A dear friend of mine started chemo for stage 2 in Jan. and I'm wondering when she will be finished but don't want to sound like I'm saying "Are you done yet?" or something.

For the care package I'd agree with the movie card (or buy him a set of dvds for a favorite TV show). If he's a reader I'd throw in some books as well.

www.rachelhamilton.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2005, 05:36 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

[QUOTE=Ariel]
Quote:

Originally Posted by barryswife
QUOTE]

WOW! Stage 4??? Amazing!
How long did you do chemo? A dear friend of mine started chemo for stage 2 in Jan. and I'm wondering when she will be finished but don't want to sound like I'm saying "Are you done yet?" or something.

For the care package I'd agree with the movie card (or buy him a set of dvds for a favorite TV show). If he's a reader I'd throw in some books as well.
I had very extensive surgery, then 6 cycles of chemo...every 3 weeks. I had carboplatin & taxol. It took about 6 - 8 hours each time.
Go ahead & ask your friend about what's going on. If she is on the same regimen, it will probably be about the same amount of time.
As far a getting nauseous, (sp?) I was given lots of drugs to combat that & never did throw up. I was not even nauseous till my last 2 chemos. But I was terribly sore after my first & second. The taxol affects your joints.
But as I said before, attitude, family & friends are what get you through this along with most importantly, the Lord!
I thank God every day for waking up each morning. And I especially thank Him for allowing me to be here to see my new grandbaby!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2005, 09:07 AM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

In response to Barryswife (Jeanne), I too was diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer just about a year ago and went through the same initial surgery and chemotherapy regimen as you with about the same reactions. No nausea or other ill effects. I didn't feel the soreness you described. I am now doing 12 months of maintenance therapy (Taxol only once every four weeks). So far minimal neurapathy which is my biggest fear (it might interfere with my stamping!). It�s so inspiring to hear of your approach to 5 years of survival!! Thanks for sharing. People hear such awful things about the effects of chemo that its good for them to hear of experiences like ours.

A friend (herself a breast cancer survivor) had sent this to me when I was first diagnosed. Perhaps others will benefit from reading it and may like to pass it on.

Comforters

When I was Diagnosed with Cancer

My first friend came and expressed his shock by
Saying, "I can�t believe that you have cancer.
I always thought you were so active and healthy."
He left and I felt alienated and somehow
Very "different."

My second friend came and brought me
information about different treatments being
used for cancer. He said, Whatever you do, don�t
take chemotherapy. It�s poison."
He left and I felt scared and confused.

My third friend came and tried to answer my
"why?� with the statement, Perhaps God is
disciplining you for some sin in your life?"
He left and I felt guilty.

My fourth friend came and told me, "If your faith
Is great enough God will heal you."
He left and I felt my faith must be inadequate.

My fifth friend came and told me to remember
That "All things work for good."
He left and I felt angry.

My sixth friend never came at all.
I felt sad and alone.

My seventh friend came and held my hand
And said, "I care, I�m here, I want to help you
Through this."
He left and I felt loved!

Reprinted my permission of Linda Mae Richardson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2005, 02:12 PM   #8  
Watercolor Wizard

The bestest thing ever is a cool compress. We took an gel eyepatch that you can put in the fridge and froze it. Then sewed up a piece of terry cloth like a headband but with a placeyou can insert the eyepatch. Works wonders!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2005, 02:18 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

Default Suelee, that was just beautiful

Thank you for sharing it. It is amazing the things some people say to you at a time like that, and actually think they are helping. I am a soon to be 10 year survivor of stage 3 breast cancer. Congratulations to ALL the survivors here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2005, 05:19 PM   #10  
Glitter Queen

Wow, Thank you ALL for the great words, understanding and ideas.
The cancer is a stage 4 and it's in the glands.
For ALL you ladies who have gone though this, my heart goes out to you, I cannot imagine going through it, your very strong and your strengh inspires me greatly.

Dee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2005, 05:45 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by suelee
In response to Barryswife (Jeanne), I too was diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer just about a year ago and went through the same initial surgery and chemotherapy regimen as you with about the same reactions.
When I was Diagnosed with Cancer

My first friend came and expressed his shock by
Saying, "I can�t believe that you have cancer.
I always thought you were so active and healthy."
He left and I felt alienated and somehow
Very "different."

My second friend came and brought me
information about different treatments being
used for cancer. He said, Whatever you do, don�t
take chemotherapy. It�s poison."
He left and I felt scared and confused.

My third friend came and tried to answer my
"why?� with the statement, Perhaps God is
disciplining you for some sin in your life?"
He left and I felt guilty.

My fourth friend came and told me, "If your faith
Is great enough God will heal you."
He left and I felt my faith must be inadequate.

My fifth friend came and told me to remember
That "All things work for good."
He left and I felt angry.

My sixth friend never came at all.
I felt sad and alone.

My seventh friend came and held my hand
And said, "I care, I�m here, I want to help you
Through this."
He left and I felt loved!

Reprinted my permission of Linda Mae Richardson
Wow. I cried when I read the above. It is so true. My Hubby has cancer and there are times when being very ill is so very lonely. Also for the spouse.

Our friend, who also had breast cancer, brought over a beautiful basket with The cancer survivors cookbook, a pretty card, magazines for me for when he was in surgery, fresh fruit and candy bars (again for me), a candle, a teddy bear with a band aid on him and other little things. Also a copy of "Hope is" that I framed. Our friend lost her battle at the age of 35, but she lives on in us and we try to pass on that courage and love.

I wish all of you who have cancer the best of health and a warm hug from me - a stranger - who cares.

What people need most is to know that you care and that you will be there through their journey no matter what.

When you get in a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn. -- Harriet Beecher Stowe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2005, 05:56 PM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

I just relapsed for my 3rd time and the only thing distracting me these days is reading or being busy around the house.
How about a few good books for him. Nothing directed at his health but something to take his mind to a place that isn't where he is.
For me mentally going someplace that I read about in a book is a good escape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2005, 06:02 PM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

My DH is a 6 year survivor of stage 4 throat cancer, with 3 positive lymph nodes. I teach stamping, scrapbooking and journalling classes at the local Wellness Community for cancer patients, survivors, caregivers and family. I really love that prose about the friends in the post above, it is just so true. Love, humor, support and comfort are so treasured by cancer patients, or anyone who is ill. You've had some great suggestions so far.

If you live nearby, pick up books on tape at the local library - during treatment people often don't have the strength or concentration to read a book, but they can listen to a book on tape (if they fall asleep during the tape, they can rewind and re-listen). If you are not nearby, you might want to send some books on tape through Amazon, Borders or Barnes & Noble online. They even have comedians on tape too.

Buy a subscription to Netflix (if someone in the household is computer literate) - the movies can stay at home as long as they need/want them, mail them out when they are viewed and Netflix automatically sends out your next requested movies. If they are not computer savvy you could help them out by making their list of favorite movies, comedies etc. online for them, that way the movies will just automatically ship.

Eye gel-packs are good for resting and restoring.

Buckwheat or other natural microwaveable heat packs are great for sore spots and warming comfort.

A lap rug is great - they can use it in the living room, the car or in bed - all cancer patients seem to feel the cold more than the rest of us.

Some warm socks or slippers, hat, scarf, comfortable sweatshirt or jacket - again to combat the chills.

Lavender sachet - combats nausea and soothes troubles.

Mint capsules - get these from the health food store, they combat nausea and soothe the whole digestive tract.

A bookmark with an inspiring quote and/or bible verse.

A photo album with pictures of good times, family and friends, favorite vacations, etc - good memories make bad days feel better.

CDs of favorite music - this is all good. Choose some soothing classical assortments too, it's restful and good to fall asleep to (studies have shown that it has a healing effect!).

Sometimes a doctor's appointment for depression and anxiety screening is a great idea, your FIL is facing his worst fear right now and perhaps needs some help with that. Local support groups can be really helpful too, for patients AND for caregivers. They usually have other activities (exercise, art, meditation, journalling, etc) that can help to cope with the stresses of diagnosis and treatment.

Hope that helps a little. Bless you for looking for ways to cheer him up.

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2005, 06:15 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Way to go...ALL of you,
Keep you head up and fight....

D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2005, 07:25 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Find a Relay near you

Go to www.cancer.org and find a Relay For Life near you. You'll see that you're not alone and there are many people supporting the fight against cancer. If you can, participate in the survivors' lap and go to the luminaria ceremony. I guarantee that once you go, you'll go back year after year. It's just amazing to see all the people that are there for the same reason that you are: to raise money to find a cure for cancer.
I'm not a survivor, but both my parents battled cancer at the same time. Unfortunately my dad passed away almost 7 years ago. My mom is a 7 year survivor.
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2005, 07:37 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Thumbs up

Good for you Sara and the Relay for Life. I was the capatain for my husband's teams for 6 years. When the survivlors make the first walk around the track, we stand and cheer them all on and cry at their determiniation. One year, my hubby was the last to come accross the line, but he was, still and is a "winner".

Every person attending is there beause they want a cure and the sheer excitement will never be forgotten.

Thanks for the reminder.

When you get in a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn. -- Harriet Beecher Stowe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2005, 02:10 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

My mom is a cancer nurse in Colorado and besides losing many relatives to cancer, I had a scare of my own a couple of years ago. Those of you who have to deal with this on a daily basis are simply amazing. You all give me such hope. Be strong!

As for what you can put in your survival kit for your father-in-law, here is something that has been invaluable to my mother's patients:

Lemon drops and jelly beans

These two things helps one from feeling too nauseated. You can also try peppermint.

Good luck - you are all in my prayers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2005, 02:59 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Keep stong all of you...and know you're all in SCS'ers hearts everywhere!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2005, 07:55 AM   #19  
Kookie Creator

lip balm
'cause sometimes its hard to smile....but even harder when your mouth is dry.

Michelle Z.
Reply With Quote Likes