Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-21-2014, 12:55 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Default Su - what is or has been the largest set?

I'm getting ready to unmount my SU sets. I want to laminate cardstock and use page protectors. I want the smallest piece of CS that still would allow for whatever has been the stamp set with the most or largest stamps. I'd like to make all of my sheets the same size so that it's uniform, but the smallest I can. I sure hope this makes sense. Would you do it this way? Or, would you choose, say, three different sizes and go that route?

My thanks,
karen
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-21-2014, 01:15 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

I use 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" for all of mine (I have them in page protectors that size, as well). If it's a small set, you can fit multiples on one sheet. I have my sets broken up, so it doesn't matter to me what size the set is, and I like uniformity. I didn't stamp the sheets before I laminated them because I wanted to be able to rearrange/add/subtract if needed, but I did stamp a reference sheet to put in each page protector with the corresponding laminated sheet. I have my photopolymer happily co-mingling with my unmounted rubber

Old 06-21-2014, 06:14 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks Sue, That's all very helpful. I was wondering about mixing rubber and clear. I will keep my sets together, at this point, but I think your size is a good one for most of the sets. You put yours in a page protector, right? Which one do you use?

Thanks again!
K
Old 06-22-2014, 02:07 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

I use these: Staples 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" Clear Sheet Protectors. I used to have all of my sets on sheets as sets, and found that most pages had two - or even three - sets on them (rubber). Photopolymer sets tend to be larger, it seems...

Old 06-22-2014, 06:33 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)

I uses 8 1/2 by 11. I stamp the images in the cardstock before laminating them. I have my pages by company and theme. I have alot of the AI stamps and I keep them together.
My other stamps I arrange by theme. I keep them all in loose leaf binders. I haven't unmounted my 100+ sets of SU. Seems like an overwhelming task...Spent too may hours cutting and mounting them to begin with.
I like having the images directly on the page to I can tell immediately if one is missing. That helps alot especially with clear stamps.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:54 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

With the reference sheet stamped but not laminated, just tucked into the protector with an un-stamped laminated sheet of cardstock loaded with stamps, it serves the same purpose but allows for more flexibility. I am currently re-vamping my entire stamp organization and indexing because I've purged sets and acquired sets and all of the previous, accurate stamped and laminated sheets became obsolete. It's way less expensive (and time-consuming) to re-do index sheets only, and not the laminating, as well. I realize everyone has to do what works for them, but I wish that I had paid better attention to how Diane (fionna51, whose system mine is largely based on) did that part - I could've saved myself a lot of headache and wasted laminating pouches, so I'm passing along a hard-learned lesson, just in case...

Old 06-22-2014, 02:00 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I wish I would get busy and finish all my index sheets!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:20 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Oh, Diane, you silly girl - you know that the word "finished" used with ANY organizing project term is an oxymoron!

Old 06-22-2014, 03:21 PM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Just wanted to throw out there, as well, that I found the full-size sheets were a bit unwieldy for me, which is why I went to the half-sheet size...

Old 06-23-2014, 03:38 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I'm still thinking this over. I really want to get it right. I have a huge amount of stamps already in cd cases. Thinking whether I should convert them too (they are all indexed and done) just to make them uniform, or start with whatever is new and also my SU, which I haven't put in cds at this point.
K
Old 06-23-2014, 02:38 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)

I have stamps in CD cases too... My thought is I spent alot of time Indexing and putting the stamps I have organized in CD Cases into the CD cases. I plan to leave them organized that way because they are already organized. I don't plan to Re-do anything I have already done. I plan to continue with the page protectors and laminated sheets...But if I find another new way to organize my stamps that I think will work better, I will go forward with that method and leave the ones I've already done the way they are. The more time I spend organiozing my stamps the less time I am using them. As long as my room is clean and I know where to find things I won't be redoing my storage.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:52 PM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

You make a very valid point and it is certainly true for me - I spend WAAAAAAY too much time organizing and not enough creating. My rationalization (yes, I can recognize) is that I'll be hauling everything across the country in a few months and I'm trying to consolidate as much as possible to make it easier and less expensive. Even so, I think that "organizing" should be classified as a disease or shortened to a four-letter word...

Old 06-23-2014, 05:38 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
You make a very valid point and it is certainly true for me - I spend WAAAAAAY too much time organizing and not enough creating. My rationalization (yes, I can recognize) is that I'll be hauling everything across the country in a few months and I'm trying to consolidate as much as possible to make it easier and less expensive. Even so, I think that "organizing" should be classified as a disease or shortened to a four-letter word...

Old 06-24-2014, 02:39 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

You guys are always so helpful. I just wanted to say thank you very much for all of your input. I am going to keep my stamp sets together (at this point) and just keep a detailed index a la evernote for these SU sets. At least, that is my plan for today. :0)
K
Old 06-25-2014, 08:43 AM   #15  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I feel that way sometimes too! There always seems to be some motivation for me to reorganize things! I'd much rather spend my time crafting.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:26 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't know if this helps, but if you have SU stamp sets going WAY back, some of them were BIG!! Like some had 30+ stamps (albeit small stamps!). I have a set called "Decorator Shelf" and it has TONS of stamps in it! I don't remember what year it's from, but it predated my SU start (2003) by quite a few years.

I agree that the organizing of stamps and supplies is an integral part of this hobby. Years ago I started doing an "index" of all my stamp sets. Part of the reason was to see where all my "thank you" stamps were, etc. I gave that up, and that was probably 500 stamp sets ago. I'm thinking that taking out every stamp and stamping it on cardstock is too time intensive (I've been a demo 10 years, I buy a lot and don't sell my retired stamps). I'm thinking about tearing up some catalogs (I have duplicates of most of them) and using the pages from the catalog to show the images, if that makes sense.

I'm not separating my retired sets in general, but I AM consolidating, combining smaller sets into the biggest SU clamshell boxes - I fit 4-5 of the smallest hostess and SAB sets in one box. And for some of the most commonly used/well loved sentiments, I'm separating them from their stamp sets and putting them together in the big clamshells. So I have a couple of boxes of just thank yous, some of baby, birthday, etc. I put these out at Stamp Camp and people love having a choice of a size/style of the sentiment they're looking for.

The organization of a craft room is an ever-changing, ever-evolving thing and it goes on as long as new products are added (or new ideas are read about on SCS). It's part and parcel of this wonderful hobby of ours!
Old 06-26-2014, 02:27 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Well I have unmounted about 50 sets so far, and nothing has been bigger than the 51/2 x 81/2. I'm doing one set per envelope, but I should have probably thought about that a bit more, because I'm wasting tons of space. I could have either made different sizes, but then it wouldn't have looked uniform, or I could put several sets on one card. I can still do this, but so far I haven't. I'm just trying to get it done, done, done!
Old 06-26-2014, 06:44 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

As far as the largest number of stamps, looking at my unfinished SU index, The largest set I have is Everyday Flexible Phrases which has 56 stamps. Tree Sampler has 29 including the rather large tree stamp and then I have 15 more that have 28 stamps in a set. Everyday Flexible Phrases is a double mounted set. but if taken off the blocks, it would take up the space of the entire 52 small stamps.

Just the 502 stamps in those 17 sets above are enough to discourage me from even considering unmounting my collection. LOL
Old 06-26-2014, 07:48 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Well it's actually taken me a lot less time than I anticipated. I had a system, and I had my children helping me intermittently. Arrange blocks from a set on a cookie sheet, take pix using evernote, pull off rubber and lay it on top of case, then do this with multiple cases. Then go down the line and apply watered down tack it over and over. While drying, cut cs and laminate. then put dried stamps on cs and insert into sleeves. Then put tags onto evernote, and as do, put each set away. I didn't do this last step, because I first have to figure out how to number or label the sets. I think I will be numbering them though.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:25 PM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

If you label the sets and put them in alphabetical order, it might be a quick way to find them again...

Old 06-26-2014, 03:47 PM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Sue, the only thing I dislike about that is every time I add too many sets, alphabetically, to a storage container, I eventually outgrow it and have to reorganize. If I just go with numbering, then I can just keep adding to, and not have to change the storage containers. It's not the way I usually roll (ok, ever) but I see the value in it so I think I"m going to give it a whirl. :0)
K
Old 06-27-2014, 03:22 AM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

I hear you - been there, done that (over and over and over). I just know how my brain works and it's worth the hassle to make my Odd Brain happy. Everyone has to do what works for them, ya know? Are you feeling some satisfaction on the progress you're making? Sounds like you have a pretty good assembly line going...

Old 06-27-2014, 03:50 AM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

Oh YES! All my SU stamps are unmounted and on laminated sheets. Waiting to be numbered (?) or somehow labeled and put away. Now I"m debating taking the foam off and doing the same thing with my Cling mounted stamps. Getting rid of the dvd cases would save a ton of room! Have you done that too?
K
Old 06-27-2014, 06:26 AM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

Yes - every stamp I own is bare rubber with 2-way glue on the back (except the photopolymer, of course). They're all happily co-mingling in binders (44 of them so far, I'm somewhat embarrassed to confess).