Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-04-2009, 03:06 PM   #41
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbapp View Post
This is true, however if you order from a company that has no office or base in the state you live in, they do not charge you sales tax at all, so that might be why she was never charged shipping from a company in Utah, they may have not charged any sales tax on anything she ordered.

Hope this makes sense!
Actually a new law went into affect recently in many states that changes this. Sales tax is now supposed to be charged based on where the product is delivered regardless of where the business is located. The reason, of course, is that the states know they are losing out on a lot of income because of internet sales, and they want it! How they are going to enforce it though is another matter.

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-04-2009, 03:08 PM   #42
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrampShopper View Post
I was told by some people that states do not tax shipping, they tax shipping and handling. This issue came up for me when I ordered stuff from my own state and paid sales tax on the purchase price and not the shipping price because it wasn't listed as S & H.
This may be true - it depends on the state. The state is completely in charge of if and how they charge sales tax, and each one can do it differently if they like.

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Old 03-04-2009, 03:10 PM   #43
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjw2855 View Post
Ladies....I don't think using a new computer system and glitches with it is anything that can be used as an excuse for slow service. In my case and opinion, their packing and and shipping time has been slow since the very first order I placed 3 years ago.

I've never dealt with a company that takes multiple days before they ship an order.

To ask for expidited shipping is not the answer either. Why pay even more to get your order?

I like some of their products, but it has made me cut back on how much I order from them anymore.
Heck to the yes for all of this. I've been ordering from SU for several years, I was a demo for over a year, and I never got an order in fewer than 10 days.

SU has always had "facts" as to why the shipping is slow (since we're not allowed to call them "excuses"). It's SAB, it's the holidays, it's the catty changeover, it's a new mini, it's a move from Riverton, it's demo preorder time... yadda yadda yadda.

One of the main reasons I'm no longer a demo is the slow shipping. I'll echo others that there are very, very few companies out there anymore with such slow shipping.

Creative cases for your tech gadgets!
Old 03-04-2009, 03:17 PM   #44
Insane Embellisher

I have only been caught up in the delayed shipping a couple of times when I, just like many other people, placed new catty orders on the same day. My normal pace in Illinois is order placed each Sunday night, shipped on Monday, and on my front porch Thursday when I get home. I have no complaints about shipping at all. If I avoid those 3-4 days per year, I am happy and so are my customers!
Old 03-04-2009, 03:20 PM   #45
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by row4d View Post
Again, SU! does NOT decide on sales tax for shipping. That's an individual state law, so if you are unhappy you need to contact your state legislature. If you've never encountered it before, it's because you've never done the mail-order thing from a company with a business presence in your state. That's why when you see those infomercials, they only list residents of the state where they're located as having to pay sales tax. Since SU! operates through individual demos in all 50 states, all orders are subject to the tax laws of the state where the merchandise is being shipped.

I've been using SU! product for over seven years now, and have been a demo for going on four years this summer. For the duration of that time, with the exception of "peak" times like SAB or the unveiling of a new catalog, I've always gotten my goodies in a very timely manner -- even when I lived in Georgia and my demo (now upline) was here in Virginia, the norm was for the order to pick and ship within 24 hours of the end of the three-day right-to-cancel period that I was entitled to by law. At the end of those three days she'd place the order, and I'd have it in my hot little hands exactly seven calendar days (six while in GA) after the box left Utah. Sure I'm always impatient for my stuff to get here, but I have to wait for UPS to drive it across the country. I've never thought SU! shipping was especially slow.
Great answer. Yes it does vary state to state. In WI we pay 5.5% tax on everything except food from a grocery store. We pay tax on our products we order and on top of that We also pay tax on shipping & shipping & handling.
We have customers that us at work also as they get charged tax on shipping and it is set up by state laws for where the customer lives.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:47 PM   #46
Rubber Obsessor

All the states and the Federal Government are in deep financial trouble so they are all looking for any way to increase tax revenue.
Businesses that close no longer pay taxes
I am sure we are in for more "creative' taxes and there is nothing we can do short of another Boston Tea Party. If you recall the tax on tea soared and that was the start of the Revolution
Barbara
Old 03-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #47
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I have to admit that even I have been frustrated with the Stampin' Up! shipping delays lately, BUT I'm willing to give them a chance to fix the problem and I have every confidence that they will.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:54 PM   #48
Mad Swapper

You gals should be happy. In Ontario we pay 10% for shipping and handling and the 13% tax on the whole thing.....items + shipping. As for wait time...it's always been between 9 and 14 days for me to get product from SU and then my demo.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:22 PM   #49
Gallery Gazer

I've been an SU! customer for 9 years and my orders have always taken 8 days to get here. My workshop last month took 2 weeks to arrive. Not sure why it took so much longer this time, but all who ordered were disappointed. It was frustrating b/c I made a huge effort to close the show down quickly for the customers, but the stuff still wasn't here any faster.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:45 AM   #50
Full of Malarky

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftygirl04 View Post
You gals should be happy. In Ontario we pay 10% for shipping and handling and the 13% tax on the whole thing.....items + shipping. As for wait time...it's always been between 9 and 14 days for me to get product from SU and then my demo.
As a BC resident - I hear you!! We too pay 10% for shipping and to honest - the taxes I think stand at 13 or 14 % - who can keep track ...

Anyway, my order which got placed to SU by my demo as Feb 4 is expected later today, that being March 5th. Oh well.

Sucker that I am - I ordered up a couple more sets - but I must admit after this long wait - I will be less inclined to purchase from SU! in the future. I don't blame my demo at all... but I do blame the SU!..

Old 03-05-2009, 03:47 AM   #51
Full of Malarky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbee View Post
I have to admit that even I have been frustrated with the Stampin' Up! shipping delays lately, BUT I'm willing to give them a chance to fix the problem and I have every confidence that they will.

Let us hope you are correct -and thanks for the smile.. Right back at ya!! Oh life -this is a frustration - but I guess nothing to dwell on.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:40 AM   #52
Crimping Master

Send a message via Skype™ to dorothyjane

I really do not have trouble with the SU shipping times. Like the other poster said, if I order during "peak" times, it seems to take longer to pick the order, but the order I just place arrived quicker then past orders have arrived.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:45 AM   #53
Stazon Splitcoast

Waiting a month for anything is not acceptable. Personally, I'd offer to refund your shipping cost if I were SU. An email to customer service at SU couldn't hurt. Remember, vendors need us more than we need them.

Price, service, product, they all count.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:04 AM   #54
Mad Swapper

My demo closed my workshop order last Saturday. On Monday I had a notice that they have charged my cc for my order but have not received a shipping notice yet. I really do not like when companies process your card so far in advance of shipping.

On a positive note craftdoc in post #6 said SU employees are working up to 60 hours to get everything caught up. In this economy it is nice to see some companies getting over-time and not having to do a layoff. Guess it is up to us stampers to keep this economy stimulated.

My Gallery
Old 03-05-2009, 08:26 AM   #55
Mad Swapper

For me it used to take about 8-10 days for my order to arrive. My last order took 5 weeks to arrive(ordered it the second week of december and got it the first week of Feb). We shall see how long my latest order takes to get to me. I don't understand the long shipping times but I am willing to give them a chance. I know that I used to work for a company that had a 400+ page catalog with over 100K products. We had orders out the door within 24 hours on most days. The longest amount of time we were allowed to have a order sitting was 72 hours and that was barring backorders which we almost never had.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:34 AM   #56
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter 4 Life View Post
Also, I guess it's just me but I didn't realize that SU taxed us on the shipping charges. I was trying to figure out why the tax amount was so high on my order total-almost 9%. I asked my demo and she explained it to me. I live in Calif and have ordered from other places in Utah and none of them tax the shipping.
I think it's all Direct Sales businesses that work that way. I pay tax on top of my shipping for my orders from The Body Shop and from Tastefully Simple too. I'm sure others are the same, but those are the ones I know work that way.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:24 PM   #57
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I havn't really had a problem. My stuff is usually here in 1-2 weeks (and that's with me emailing my demo my order, and I don't think she always gets it in right away). I just placed an order late last week and it's supposed to arrive at her house on Monday, so that's not even a week and I ordered a LOT. Only one item was backordered...and any time that I've had a backorder (seems like there is always one thing) it's on a couple of days behind. So I wonder why some people are having these slow ship times and others are not. That being said, I'm moving this weekend and I sure hope I get my craft room set up before I get my stuff from my demo on Tuesday...and I hope I don't have anything to do on Tuesday so I can play, it's my morning off!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Old 03-05-2009, 02:16 PM   #58
Polyshrink Goddess

My orders usually get to me about 9 days after I place the order (in Canada). However, the one I placed in February, took MUCH longer (I am guessing it was because of Sell-A-Bration). I ordered it on Feb. 15, and have received it.

I think big promotion times get very back-logged.

I'm a Bella Babe!