Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-10-2008, 03:35 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU textured cardstock pros and cons

I have really tried to search for this info as certain it must have been discussed but in vain.

I'm keen to try this-on offer in Uk at the moment but a few concerns. I am new to SU so still building up basics and haven't got every colour family in card yet. I wondered whether to try the textured but not sure how easy it is to stamp on-backgrounds and wheels primarilly.

Also embossing? Does that word-if I embossed a background for example or would the texture spoil the effect?

Is the other side smooth?

The catalogue doesn't seem to show many cards with the texture so hard to know what it's like-I'm in a 10 month club and no local demo to see samples hence my questions!

Is it nice but hard to use or just as good-must be nice for boxes etc? Thanks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 04:43 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Hi. I LOVE SU textured cs. It is wonderful quality and adds just the right look to many projects that just need that "little something extra". The back side is not completely smooth, but it is not as "rough" as the right side of the cs is. To be honest, I don't usually stamp images on it. I use it mostly as a card base or mat and I use it A LOT as the base to my scrapbook pages. I think stamping backgrounds on it is okay and gives a cool effect, but if you stamp words, I don't think they show up as nicely. The textured does interrupt the image. I would suggest, trying a pack, I think you will like it, but it does not replace the smooth cs.IMHO.
Here's a card I used the textured Choc. chip on. It is hard to see the texture in the photo, but it is there.
cc189-friendship circles by lisahenke at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 04:49 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm with Lisa. I tried some for the first time this weekend at a shoe box swap and I DO like it it, but like Lisa, I think I would limit it to bases and mats. My personal feeling is that it works best with simple layouts where you get to see a larger portion of the base overall.

Maybe try an assortment of your favorite color family. We can only get it it 12x12 assortments, not sure if you have other options.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 04:56 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by blank canvasView Post
I have really tried to search for this info as certain it must have been discussed but in vain.

I'm keen to try this-on offer in Uk at the moment but a few concerns. I am new to SU so still building up basics and haven't got every colour family in card yet. I wondered whether to try the textured but not sure how easy it is to stamp on-backgrounds and wheels primarilly.

Also embossing? Does that word-if I embossed a background for example or would the texture spoil the effect?

Is the other side smooth?

The catalogue doesn't seem to show many cards with the texture so hard to know what it's like-I'm in a 10 month club and no local demo to see samples hence my questions!

Is it nice but hard to use or just as good-must be nice for boxes etc? Thanks.
This part makes me ask...... You are in a club without a demo? Or do you mean the demo is not close to you? Ask her to send you a small sample before you place an order. Since she can't show you in person she should be willing to send you a piece. JMHO, I would send you one as a demo if you were ordering from me every month.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 02:52 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks everyone-it sounds interesting! We can only get it in 12" x 12" colour family packs too and never cut up 12" x 12" to make cards so feel a bit nervy especially as haven't got Very Vanilla card nor Rich regals and Bold brights in plain card yet! Really am starting out-only about 4 ink pads too! No paper, punchs-every purchase counts as trying to get a base together but expensive (especially in UK) so bit at a time.

I've decided not to get Christmas sets as have some non SU and a good few SU stamp sets so mainly trying to get card, inks etc.

I belong to a 10 month club but demo about 100miles away-all done over internet/phone and post! My demo is an absolute delight but (getting into dangerous territory here!) I know she would say the textured stuff is great. It's not that i don't believe her, but is it great for me, at this time? I need versitility as very little card stock and I find i can get honest, all round answers on here-just what I need!

Thanks so much. I'm still uncertain but seem to feel that if you asked 10 people all would have different answers so maybe just should go for it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 06:24 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Textured cardstock is not great for stamping on because it is not smooth. For example you will have a linen-like pattern on your solid images because the surface is uneven.
I personally love textured cardstock, and use it for layering and for bases. It can add some interest to simply designed cards. Also you might like to know that the SU textured cardstocks are not quite as thick as the standard cardstock that SU carries. (And it's thinner than Bazzil, but thicker than DCWV brand from J's) But it is very nice quality, and has it's place in my collection of papers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 06:33 PM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

One thing you can do with the 12 X 12 textured paper - each sheet will make 4 3 X6 card bases. That's pretty neat, I think. . .

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 01:28 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Hi there,
I'm in the UK and I have some textured 12"x12" CS and I will happily send you a piece so you can see for yourself. I'll PM you for your address.

I really LOVE it - but I've used it for card bases and added my stamping in layers over the top - I've not stamped directly onto the CS. See my Hello Card here

Cheery Hello for Jackie by FubsyRuth at Splitcoaststampers

to see what I mean LOL!

I've got the Earth Elements pack and I will definitely add another pack or two with our UK SU! offer this month!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 05:16 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have and love Textured cardstock. I mainly also use it for mattes. But I have stamps backgrounds ond then embossed in cleap embossing powder and it turned out great. I also stamp on it and it does work great for verses or line art.
Here are some of my samples using the textured cardstock

BOOKMARK -TEXTURED

SOFT SKY TEXTURED

VERSE STAMPED ON TEXTURED

It is hard to see but this is actually Soft Sky textured that I embossed the background snow flurries on.

EMBOSSED Background on TEXTURED
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 08:40 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

I love it, but won't be buying much. I have stacks feet tall of Bazzill that I need to use up first.

Textured CS IMHO adds just a little something extra without being over the top. Think of it as a really subtle embossing folder. Would you use something like that? If not, skip it now as you have other basics to buy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 09:34 AM   #11  
CraZy Cat Lady
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it fairly well, and like others I haven't really stamped on it...but you could. If you used the "wrong" side it seems it would defeat the purpose of having the texture. I like to use it for layering. I just used some in a mini album posted on my blog yesterday!
http://stampinsally.blogspot.com/200...lop-album
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2008, 11:14 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I think the answer you are looking for is NO. This cs is not what you want to buy right now. Wait until you have more ink colors and regular card stock before you start buying specialty cs like this. As others have said it makes a nice background mat (stamped on or not) but it is not the best for regular stamping and most likely will not offer you the versatility you are looking for. More ink colors and cs color options will allow you so many more options for making cards.
Reply With Quote Likes