Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 02:24 PM   #81
Pearl-ExPert

To all Demo's-
Let's all go read Camsmom "note to self".
Had that on my mind which is why I didn't post my opionins on this subject.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:34 PM   #82
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks JulieHRR. Your explanation for personal is right on as well as your other comments! You and JanTink are right on... as are many others.
I was not going to comment on this thread, but after wading through this far...... why not.
I can understand being unhappy with shp rates. I just had an experience yesterday with a local store which was very similar to JanTink and it got my horns up! But both Julie and Jan state the case very well. I do a lot of shipping in my own business and I don't have a special rate with UPS as SU. But with the price of fuel UPS has a fuel surcharge on top of their base shpg rates and that has been for the last two years or more. Most of the consumer public is unaware because they just see the total amount. And SU has not raised their s/h rates in quite some time.
Shpg rates are just a part of life........oh well.
Marcie

ADD: billsbrowneyedgirl- my thinking too!!!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-19-2005, 02:43 PM   #83
Mad Swapper

dot2dot wrote:
Quote:

Don't get me wrong--I DO love SU, but I bristle at the suggestions that their prices are "very good" when you have to mount and assemble them yourselves! By the time I am done with that I could buy stamps cheaper in almost any store. Additionally, I can find any other brand at a discount on the internet. When you tack on that 10% and then assemble yourself I think you are kidding yourself that these are bargain stamps in any manner.

Sadie wrote:
Quote:

If you do not like the fee that Stampin' Up! charges for shipping and handling, then simply don't purchase from that company! I just can not understand how something like this can go on and on as a thread (and yes, I realize I am guilty of adding to this thread!)

My sentiments exactly! I love being a seasoned adult and making my own choices.
SCS member #549
My Gallery
"Let your little light shine...."
Old 03-19-2005, 02:45 PM   #84
Pearl-ExPert

You are sadly mistaken - NOTHING is ever FREE! Someone is always paying for it. I agree with Angela & Belinda.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:04 PM   #85
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by dot2dot
The very same way other companies charge actual shipping. Every item is pre-weighed and is listed in the catalog with weight. You pay so much per ounce. It takes seconds to figure.
Okay, I've got to "PIPE" in here. I want you to think about what you just said. You have a $750 order that you said had "mulitiple" items on it. Do you think that would take "seconds" to figure out????? Really???? Wow, if I had to do that at every workshop I did, I would never leave their house!! Good thing we don't!
Old 03-19-2005, 03:06 PM   #86
Rubber Obsessor

I love SU because:
1. They have way more variety than anyone else.
2. The stamps coordinate.
3. They provide fab. ideas in their catalog.
4. I always get a ton of stuff free as a hostess
5. They offer free sets every year
6. They offer 50% off sets usually once a year.
7. They allow demos to be their own persons and have low quotos
8. Their products are superior in quality.
9. Their shipping is fast and efficent and I keep in mind they use UPS which has outragous prices.
10. I CHOSE TO!

I'm sorry but the negativity in the post really had me down. I am not a demo., but truley love this company. I chose to spend my money here, and I will not gripe about something I can change. If I didn't like their policies or shippinig or whatever, I would speak with them or stop using them.

Thank You to everyone for their creative ideas thier passion and talents that I take inspiration from everyday. I chose to be on this site and I chose to enjoy it.

Sorry this is so long, but hey it took me a long time to read all of those posts.

Stephanie
Old 03-19-2005, 03:09 PM   #87
Polyshrink Goddess

Just remember that for every customer that is unhappy over this issue and is vocal, there are dozens who just silently quit buying or switch to another company. It seems that being protective of SU is the highest theme here and not the customer's concerns. If you keep shushing people here you will lose touch with your consumers. I have been to several other stamping chatboards today where this topic is being discussed. This is the only board that repeatedly gives the message of 100% loyalty to SU or go away. Hmmm!
Old 03-19-2005, 03:10 PM   #88
Glitter Queen

Default SU needs to lower shipping

SU has the slowest shipping! It takes 2 weeks to get an order! Adding +10% for two week delivery is ridiculous!
Old 03-19-2005, 03:11 PM   #89
Matboard Maniac

When I went to my first Stampin Up party (first stamp experience of any kind) 9 years ago I was aghast at the prices. I ordered the foam stamps to save money. They were junk and have almost never been used. That is most likely why SU stopped selling them. My next party I thought ok I will order the wood sets but I really hate the thought of having to put them together myself. Now I am glad that 99% of my stamps are Stampin Up. I could do without the shipping cost on everything I order, but I know I will pay for it somewhere else.
I just ordered 3 unmounted stamps from another company. They didn't come with foam or wood. The 3 stamps cost $15.62 and the shipping was $3.85. The actual postage on the envelope (not box) they came in was $.83 I had to mount them on some foam I purchased at a stamp show last year, then my DH dug around in the garage and found some wood to put them on for me. I purchased them for a gift I am making for my sister. If Stampin Up had anything close to this design I would have gladly purchased from Stampin Up instead.
I am not a demo, and don't plan on becoming one, at least not for several years. Until my kids are outta the house.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:13 PM   #90
Pearl-ExPert

Edited because what I said, although true, wasn't very nice.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:15 PM   #91
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Just remember that for every customer that is unhappy over this issue and is vocal, there are dozens who just silently quit buying or switch to another company.
And for every Negative Nelly, there are THOUSANDS of happy customers who love and support SU! and the demos that work their tushies off. If there weren't, SU! wouldn't be as successful as it is.

Quote:

It seemsThis is the only board that repeatedly gives the message of 100% loyalty to SU or go away.
And what is wrong with that? SCS was started by a SU! demo and her husband. I think most of us, demos and customers alike, prefer to think positively about SU! When I have a problem with a company, I contact the company.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:17 PM   #92
Glitter Queen

Default SU needs to lower shipping

Don't get me wrong I love SU, but waiting 2 weeks seems a little long, for a stamp set. Everyone keeps telling me it should only take a week. I don't know why I am still waiting. Love my stamps and love the product. Haven't bought anything from another co.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:18 PM   #93
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Re: SU needs to lower shipping

Quote:

Originally Posted by twonew
SU has the slowest shipping! It takes 2 weeks to get an order! Adding +10% for two week delivery is ridiculous!
Funny -- my turnaround for the last month has been 1 week, from the moment I order to the day Brown drops it on my doorstep.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:21 PM   #94
Polyshrink Goddess

My orders take an average of 11 to 15 days.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:23 PM   #95
Polyshrink Goddess

Wow! StampinMelis I am surprised at your attitude that anyone who has a legitimate complaint is out of line.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:24 PM   #96
Stampin' Fool

If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. The End.

The Blog

The Gallery
Old 03-19-2005, 03:27 PM   #97
Polyshrink Goddess

prhansen-Demos can put their fingers in their ears, sing lalalala, and smile, but that is no way to do business. People will go away.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:29 PM   #98
Watercolor Wizard

ALRIGHT LISTEN UP NOW!
I refer you all to our Terms Of Service.
http://forums.splitcoaststampers.com...ic.php?t=17976
It all basically boils down to common curtesy. Please lets all just take a step back and decide if this issue is worth "calling others to the carpet" on. When threads go back and forth and begin quoting back and forth it is not a good sign. Please go read the terms of service and if you feel you can't comply in regards to this topic, click the "stop watching this topic" link at the bottom left of the screen
Thank you
Old 03-19-2005, 03:29 PM   #99
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Wow! StampinMelis I am surprised at your attitude that anyone who has a legitimate complaint is out of line.
What attitude?? Do you really expect to post all of this negativity and not have people counter you? You said it yourself, your agenda here is to get people to jump on your bandwagon. Well, I'm jumping on the I LOVE STAMPIN' UP! bandwagon. Sounds like a lot of other are, too.

I'm bagging on this thread now. I choose to not surround myself with negativity.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:30 PM   #100
Insane Embellisher

edited becaus I left out one of hte really funny parts

see next post...

My work and the card sketches
Old 03-19-2005, 03:33 PM   #101
Insane Embellisher

I love my husband BUT.....

My husband has a great body BUT....
he can't pick out clothes that show it off.

My husband can be so romantic BUT....
He ONLY sends flowers to me at work 4 times a year.

I love my husband because he has a great smile BUT...
he really should whiten his teeth because they are 2 shades off.

My husband is so funny BUT...
sometimes his laugh can just be too loud.

I love that my husband helps around the house BUT...
He ONLY washes the dishes 5 nights a week

I called his mother and she couldn't help me with this problem. So now I think I will send a letter to every one of his relatives asking them to help me inform my husband that he can be so much better and that he should work on these things (teeth not white enough, not enough dishes done, etc.) or I will find someone who will send my flowers 8 times a year and has perfectly white teeth and a quiet laugh.

I love Kraft macaroni and cheese BUT....

I love Kraft macaroni and cheese's blue box BUT...
the yellow on it is just not the right shade.

I love how they use animals to advertise their products BUT...
I don't know what their mascot is. Is it a little cheesy dinosaur? That is kind of a frightening symbol, don't you think? How can they use such a frightening symbol, think of the children!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love the shape of the noodles BUT...
I wish that they were 1/16 of an inch longer. That would make them truely perfect, don't you think?

I love that they always make sure they have plenty of mac and cheese in stores BUT...
they put it on the third shelf down, instead of the fourth, which makes me have to *gasp* stand ever so slightly on my tiptoes to get to it.

I love that Kraft mac and cheese always has some kind of contest or prize to win BUT...
the give aways MUST be some kind of marketing ploy to brainwash children into buying kraft mac and cheese.

I love that Kraft always puts the nutritional contents on the box BUT..
why do they need to put "in box" and "prepared"? Like you are really going to eat it straight from the box, so why put that on there????

I love Kraft mac and cheese because they have reasonable prices BUT...
now that I think about it I am SURE that they could quit paying thier employees a living wage and bump them down to minumum wage so that they could shave $.03 off the price of each box. I mean come on, those employees don't need gas money, right????

I have emailed Kraft to let them know what I think of only paying every employee minimum wage and that their product will not be "perfect" until they make those noodles 1/16 of an inch longer. They sent me some form email back, which I didn't like. So now I think I will gather my friends and stand around in the mac and cheese aisle with signs that say "Krafts a penny pinch-er, make the noodles 1/16 inch big-ger" (can you hear our upset chants too????)

My work and the card sketches
Old 03-19-2005, 03:43 PM   #102
Compulsive Stamper

Default Shipping

Okay, I am going to vent as this is my one big gripe about SU. Whoever really thinks that SU is losing money on shipping needs to investigate. I have a friend who sells CM. An $800 order or higher is free shipping, and the average cost comes out to about 4 -5 percent when the order is lower than $800. Additionally, the boxes are much better quality and arrive much faster than my orders from SU do! These companies negotiate and get good prices. Tell me how it takes 7 days from the time I get an email from SU saying they scanned to be shipped at the warehouse till it arrives at my house. Any UPS across the country should arrive in an average 3 days. I'm sorry; there is a breakdown somewhere and we are paying for it!

I have received broken DD lately and SU told me that they used to place them in little baggies and tape them. THen proceeded to tell me that due to the move and high cost of stuff they process and handle, they could no longer do that and were trying to get the vender to put them in baggies. Basically, we are paying for the "hand package' and they are trying to pass the buck to the vendor! Don't get too big to stop practicing high quality packaging when you are charging for it! 10% is a lot, girls, don't think we shouldn't receive fast, quality packaging for it! I've had several packaging errors since the move and I'm getting tired of it! Don't get me wrong - they are nice when you call and replace things - but I've already delivered stuff and now have to make a second trip or make excuses. It's hard to qualify excuses at 10% shipping and handling.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:47 PM   #103
Stazon Splitcoast

The only time I have ever had "slow" shipping in my 5 years of stamping using SU product was recently when they were switching warehouse locations. It is currently back to 7 days to get it here to Wisconsin. I don't think 10% is a bad deal due to the great way things are packed and the quality product we get. Considering that regular unlead gas in my area is at $2.15 and they have to pay people to box up our precious orders and pay UPS to deliver them to us - I think we get a decent deal. Had to give my two cents worth.

LaurieR
Old 03-19-2005, 04:10 PM   #104
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

I often buy a set just to get 1/2 the stamps and the others go in my yard sale.
If I buy them, can I get free shipping?
Old 03-19-2005, 04:18 PM   #105
Crimping Master

I have been AMAZED at SU's SPEEDY shipping!! I had a party during sel-a-brations. My demo placed the order online late Tues night and she had the shipment on her doorstep Thursday morning and to me Thursday afternoon!! (YES, 1.5 days later!!!) I whole heartily support this company! (I am not a demo but have had quite a few very successful parties due to my amazing demo and the wonderful incentives SU gives me as a host and my guests with their specials or free sets.)
THANK YOU SU!!

If someone has been waiting for 2 weeks for their shipment, I would check w/your demo. She can look on her demo website as to the status of your order.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:29 PM   #106
Polyshrink Goddess

rubadubdub, you may buy them and you will pay ACTUAL shipping. I won't make a dime either off the shipping or off the stamps (just recoup my loss straight across).
Old 03-19-2005, 04:31 PM   #107
Polyshrink Goddess

My demo gives us the number to track our own. Last order took 9 days from SU to my house. Must be they pay the very lowest bulk rate possible. When I order from ATRS I have my orders in 48 hours. The warehouses are not that far apart.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:37 PM   #108
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via Skype™ to TheRedHairedStamper

There is nothing going to be redtified here on this Forum... write to SU with your concerns if you have issues...they do listen...they really care about their customers and demos. If they can do something they certainly will.

I am now departing this thread ... not to return.

See you on other positive topics! See Ya!

Sue
Photo-a-Day Blog: http://stampingandscrappin.typepad.com/photoaday_2009/
Old 03-19-2005, 04:46 PM   #109
Insane Embellisher

I love Stampin Up products and order LOTS of them - - - and I agree that the shipping is high.

My suggestion to SU has been a cap on shipping prices once you get to a certain dollar amount.

Part of the reason why the shipping seems too high is because I often place very large orders. It's not uncommon for my group of stampers to order $100-$300 each.

When SU had the free shipping in December, our demo didn't tell us about it when we ordered at the end of November. Had we known, we would have held off for a few days to take advantage of the savings. My guess is that other demos would have handled that differently.

Since then we have switched demos.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:50 PM   #110
Polyshrink Goddess

What would make me happy?

Either actual shipping charges or a reduce percent on shipping of larger orders, and a cap on shipping altogether. Many companies give free shipping over a certain amount in appreciation for large orders and also to encourage large orders.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:52 PM   #111
Insane Embellisher

[quote="dot2dot"]SU is a big company making HUGE profits. I promise you they are not losing money. They make things up on the backs of the consumers.]

Gees why aren't you getting the hostess benefits on this order? Those would be some great free merchandise amounts. My Demo always turns in any order over $150 as a party so that you can get the hostess plan.

And I hate to point this out but SU! is a company so yes they have to make a profit, that is how business works. Do you also behove your Demo for making her 20% commission on your oders. Do you behove UPS for making a profit. Profits are used to keep a business running, if the company didn't make any profits they wouldn't be able to stay in business. And don't forget the profits also pay the workers that make the stamps, pack the stamps and run the warehouse. If you have a job or your DH's job remember he/your pay comes from somewhere, profits the company makes from the companys running. Commerce!

K
Old 03-19-2005, 04:56 PM   #112
Polyshrink Goddess

I have no problem with legitimate profit. I do have a big problem with profit made off things like shipping.

My demo does not make 20%. She told me that after all her demo supplies for workshops, order forms, catalogs for workshops etc. She thinks that after 4 years she is now actually clearing 5%. She also said this does not count her time or her bookkeeping or the wear and tear on her home (she holds all workshops there due to a chronically ill child). I wish SU would give the demos MORE for their hard work. She makes a pittance for lots of really hard work.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:14 PM   #113
Pearl-ExPert

I just got my order and my pack of Rich Regals was missing 3 sheets. My demo called to get the missing ones replaced and they replaced the whole pack - they didn't ask me to send back what I had and they didn't charge me shipping, so I got paper for FREE! Yay for me!
Old 03-19-2005, 05:18 PM   #114
Mad Swapper

First of all I'd like to thank JulieHRH and JanTINK for the economics lesson!
It reminds me of Walter Williams , an Economic Professor at George Mason University in Virginia. ( I think) You should hear his story about what it costs to bring bananas to your local Supermarket. Then you just might understand all about shipping. Shipping is how my husband is able to provide a living for his family. (No he is not the man in brown.) He ships things all over the world. If you think shipping to the US and Canada is bad you ought to try Kuwait!! Sometimes my husband does take a loss on his shipping costs, but is usually evens out.
I am thankful for fact I can get the things I want and need. If gas keeps going up watch what happens to the prices in the grocery store.

Ladies--- no matter how much it is expained to dot2dot she's not going to get it! She doesn't want to understand and just wants to make the rest of us mad too!

So lets just go back to our happy little stamping lives and let her be angry!
I have better things to do, but I still appreciated the economics lesson!!
Old 03-19-2005, 05:25 PM   #115
Polyshrink Goddess

I am so surprised that ad hominem responding is allowed here.

I guess "Whistle A Happy Tune" is what you want. Oh, well! Keep those fingers in the ears!
Old 03-19-2005, 05:29 PM   #116
Hot Mess

I just read through this whole thread. MYEYESMYEYES!

It just seems to me that there are a few too many pot stirrers on here lately.

If you don't like to pay the shipping, QUIT ORDERING THE STUFF!

Geez.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:32 PM   #117
Embossing Fanatic

Food For Thought: I bought a stamp from inky antics that cost $7.30 and the s/h was $3.50. That was for one small stamp! I still love inky antics!!
Old 03-19-2005, 05:33 PM   #118
Embossing Fanatic

Food For Thought: I bought a stamp from inky antics that cost $7.30 and the s/h was $3.50. That was for one small stamp! I still love inky antics!!
Old 03-19-2005, 05:34 PM   #119
Embossing Fanatic

I just want to chime in here to say that shipping seems to be a strange and mysterious issue because EVERY company does it differently. I don't know if some companies are just able to negotiate better prices or what, but doesn't it seem like there ought to be more consistency out there?

I am a CM consultant, and I've had several discussions with other consultants over shipping because CM does not automatically add shipping to customer orders. It is left up to the discretion of the consultant. The consultant is charged a flat $15 on any order up to $799, and any order of $800 or more is shipped FREE. The consultant can decide to eat this cost or pass it on however they see fit. Personally, I only order the minimum I need to stay active, so I'm never able to take advantage of the free shipping, and I have to pass this cost on to my customers. I feel bad for having to do this, especially since I know some consultants don't charge any shipping, but I just can't afford not to.

I don't know what the situation is with SU and why their shipping costs are so much more than CM, but there's nothing wrong with a healthy discussion of the issue.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:36 PM   #120
Hot Mess

Not to be snarky but this discussion became unhealthy a few pages ago.
Closed Thread