Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-15-2005, 08:12 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU Markers, do I need them?

I know this sounds like a silly question, but I need to ask it. I have been a demo for almost a year, and have not had a reason to buy any markers, have been using chalks and watercolor pencils. Am I missing out without the markers? Do I need these? I know I want them, but talk me into the pros of having them!!

Chrissi
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 08:32 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

I wasn't sure I'd use them either and just bought four of my favorite colors and I love them. Now I just can't decide if I should get the whole set or just order the colors I'd use the most.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 09:08 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

This question falls under my need vs. want category. I may not NEED all the markers, but I really WANT them, so I ordered them last week. I also have the pencils and pastels, but I like the multi-tone effect you can get by colouring the different shades onto the stamp before stamping. HTH.
Ronda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 09:16 PM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

My DH got them for me as a gift last summer. I wanted them, but didn't really think I needed them. I use them ALL THE TIME!!! They are wonderful for coloring in images on US White as well as glossy! I don't know how I got along without them!

Since I got them I now have customers wanting them too. In fact 4 customers just started a 4 month marker club!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 09:34 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Default consider...

I love love love my markers. In fact, I had the old style and recently sold those to my mom and purchased the new style. So of course I'd say YES you have to have them. However, for the budget conscious stamper (or if I had it to do over again) I recommend working on building stamp pad collection first, and investing 9.95 in blender pens. Then you can use blender pens and ink pooled in the top of your inkpad to color your images.

The only drawback to this is you would not have the fine tip for journaling.

Many demonstrators offer a Marker Club option that for a flat fee per month you and 3 other friends can stretch the cost of the markers over 4 months time.

Need vs. Want..a constant battle for us stampers!

Chris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 09:40 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

OK, its late..I re read the original message..you are a demo. In this case, given that you are regularly holding workshops, keep in mind that if you show it you'll sell it. Maybe just do a 12 pack at a time gradually? I don't know, with the blender pens and inkpad thing you'll sell more inkpads which is more $$$ in the long term..Ack! Decisions!

By the way..I'm so excited! I just noticed I'm no longer a cardstock collector, but a glitter queeen. I guess you get credit for posting in the gallery as well as on the boards. I think this is my first post to the boards..hmmm.

Good night!
Chris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 10:22 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Default To Marker or To Not

I started out by purchasing all of the markers and am glad I did. I too use them all the time.

If you do not want to bite the bullet and buy all at once, we had a group of 4 gals to commit to buying the entire set of markers each month as part of their 10-10-15 group and each month they got a different set of markers. This way it only cost them approx $30 a month and they got their markers in 4 months.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 11:06 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

YES!!!! I have to borrow a friend's markers all the time. I am in the process of organizing a More than Markers Club for $50 a month and I am going to be one of the participants so I can get the entire set. Now, I just hope my few customers will go for it. I love the markers - there is so much you can do with them, especially if you don't have all the Classic Pads or you don't want to bring your pads with you everywhere.

But, that's just my 2 cents.

Dana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2005, 11:30 PM   #9  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

Are you asking if you should bother getting any markers, or if you should get the SU! markers?

Either way, I'd say: Yes, get the markers. Even if you have to space it out. (The only way to get the case is to get them all at once. My friend keeps hoping SU! will sell it as an accessory!)

That said, when I first started, not a demo, I decided I could just buy a pack of nice markers at Michael's with a 40% off coupon. The colors didn't exactly match the SU! stuff I had, of course.

The problem is, when one color runs out, you have to buy the whole pack of markers again. With SU!, you can replace just one pen.

Interesting question - do the new markers fit in the old container???? They better!!! :shock:

So - by then I had more SU! stuff and colors, and decided that I might as well get their markers.

There are so many ways to apply color to stamps and paper, basically that's what we do. Markers is just another way. There are many ways to use them, coloring back side of vellum, just plain old "coloring" of an image, coloring directly on the stamp to get a two-color image.... many ways.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2005, 02:11 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default markers

I use my markers all the time and just love them. I too have the whole set and I'm glad that I invested the money into it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2005, 03:36 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Honey, you will never regret it. I am on my final month of a 4 month
marker club and Im so happy that I did it. It split the cost up and it gave me all the colors that i dont have with the ink pads (YET )

SO GO FOR IT!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2005, 05:07 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

I love the markers and use them all the time. Most of my customers have bought them because I show them all the time. I use them for coloring in images, omitting by using the markers to just ink a particular part of an image, to make an image multiple colors by coloring in with different markers before you stamp, and of course it's nice to color coordinate journaling and a message inside a card with the smaller tip on the marker.

I would suggest having a flyer for a marker club already and printed out the first time you demo the full set of markers. Customers fall in love with them but are sometimes turned off by the price, so if you can offer a marker club it usually gives them a way to get them!

Visit AmbersCraftyCorner

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2005, 05:20 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Yes! I held off for a while, but finally had to get them after I saw a demo of "thumping" (bouncing the markers on the stamp). Now I use them to color in stamps, esp. word stamps (make vowels a different color, stuff like that).

Plus they look so nice in their case on my shelf!
Michelle C., #12400
www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/hookandstamp
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2005, 05:43 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

I bought myself the markers in December with the free shipping, I have sold two complete sets since! They were so beatiful they couldn't resisit. Customers want what they see and play with. Even if I hadn't sold any I still love love love my markers, My scrapbook journalling and signing of cards matches! What a rush!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2005, 06:07 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Gee, are they in the catalog? Well, then , I'd have to say, yes, you need them!
Seriously, the markers are great. I love the way they match the SU colors, love being able to color sections of a stamp, love using them to make a 'palette' on a stamp box for the Aquapainter, and love being able to write and sign in matching colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2005, 06:12 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

I absolutely love my markers. I take them camping with me because it gives me the whole range of SU colors.

Right now they are sitting next to my recliner in the family room, because I use them to create while I watch TV - again because I have the whole range of colors. I add the finishing touches on my cards while watching TV. (I have one of those boards that fits over the arm of my chair as a flat surface to work on.) I find I can get more cards done this way. My daughter thought she too could get by with just a set of markers from Wally World. But the kids now have those and she invested in a complete set from SU.

We both ordered the complete set all at once - each at our own Sell-A-Bration workshops last year. Then used our benefits to get stamp sets. Worked for both of us :lol: Boosted our sales and gave us two free sets in addition to the other freebies.

Work in progress - 27lbs gone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2005, 06:39 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

I have been stamping with SU for 5 years and just got the markers for xmas. I LOVE THEM! It's the range of colors, the ability to CASE something easily, and that I can write with matching colors that I really love. It really has changed how much I enjoy stamping. I'm trying new stuff again!

Also, I had the ones from Micheals, and all of the tips dried out, and the colors didn't match. So in the end, I wish I'd just gotten these years ago!

However you do it, all at once or a little at at time, you won't go wrong!
mj
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2005, 07:06 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

The su markers are great for putting more than one color directly onto a stamp. I only own 3 markers but they have come in very handy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2005, 07:39 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to trburgi

If $ is a problem if you can get 3 other people that want the whole set you can each pay $25(it may be a little more) for 4 months and each month you get one color set. Also each month some one gets the case. When you get everyone’s money together you can buy a whole set each month and then wall la you have the whole set!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2005, 11:38 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you all for posting an answer....I have been debating whether or not to buy these. This has been a want not a need, but I am finally caving in and buying them!

Thanks for all the tips and uses for the markers. You all are great!

Chrissi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2005, 12:55 PM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Another tip to go along with the markers. If your image doesn't stamp completely, you can sometimes fill in the gap with the matching marker. Something that can not be done with another company's markers. I've had mine for a long time, after much debate DH helped me pay for half and it's a great investment. When I've want to show people the various stamp pad color choices, I bring the markers. Then they can compare this blue with that blue for example. End result, they pick their ink pad color choice, then decide they need the matching pen. This way their verses match their hand writing, which leads to the sale of more pads and eventually the markers.
Have fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2005, 01:23 PM   #22  
Kookie Creator

Wow, you ladies sold me. Oh wait... I already have and LOVE them! :lol:

"Would you not like to be sitting on top of the world with
your legs hanging free" -Dave Matthews Band
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2005, 01:43 PM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

I love the markers!!! I started with ZIG markers - they went dry quickly. So, I broke down and got the SS markers! And, I love them! My customers also love them! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2005, 02:11 PM   #24  
Watercolor Wizard

Love my markers! Use them for cards and for my Bible study (They don't bleed through the pages of my Bible). They're great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2005, 05:13 PM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Default YES!!

YES!!! yes, yes, yes yes, yes, yes, yse, yes ,Y-E-S!!!

these are one of the most versitile things we sell... am I getting a bit tooo excited?? I love my markers. Can you tell???

Shellie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2005, 05:39 PM   #26  
Compulsive Stamper

I HIGHLY recommend them! I got the whole set as a gift before I became a demo and I use them ALL the time! They're great for coloring in pictures, using blender pens, running along straight and torn edges, adding dots/dashes/etc. along edges and borders. I come up with uses for them all the time. And when I've brought them to workshops, they are a hit. I've sold several sets (in one family) jst by using them in workshops. They're great too for people who want a lot of colors but don't want to go for the full-size pads. And even though the spots are cheaper, the markers are more verstile because you can write with them too. Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2005, 05:49 PM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

I love my markers. I use them alot. Before I bought mine I borrowed a set from a friend to use at a ws. At that ws I had 4 customers fall in love with the markers and wanted to do the marker club. Since I'm a hobby demo, I saw this as a way to get my markers for "free" and ordered them that weekend. (The instant income for the 4 months of marker club was more than enough to pay for my set)
Reply With Quote Likes