Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-01-2009, 06:33 PM   #161
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minders View Post
Yeah, you called me on it...I got on a roll and got confused on which thread (the demo side one or the general) I was posting to...big whoop. I'm outta here, tired of all the SU! bashing if you don't like it fine but plenty of people still do like SU! and I'm one of em...GO SU!

Peace out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There is no SU! bashing - there is some policies discussion and its ramifications.

Why do SU! demos keep proclaiming they are being bashed when there isn't any evidence of such in this thread?

Honestly if I had a demo that thought I was bashing her because I felt free to discuss policies of other companies including her own it wouldn't put her in a favorable position for my continued custom.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-01-2009, 06:35 PM   #162
Hardware Hotshot

I'm a hobby SU, and tonight I placed my last order.
I'm new to the blogging world, but I'm not going to be restricted to what I say on my blog. If I want to say i got something at Target or Gina K or Wal-Mart, I'm not going to let SU or anyone else dictate that to me.
If I still want SU stuff, my DIL sells it.
Thats my 2 cents!
Old 09-01-2009, 06:35 PM   #163
Die Cut Diva

I am also kind of curious what all this means for SCS.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:36 PM   #164
Inking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikiBee View Post
I just went to Shelli's website.. the link she has for her challenges. I clicked on a few of the winners' links and lo-and-behold, all of the winners that I checked had other cards on their blogs that were not Stampin Up.

So, when Shelli chooses winners that just happen to be Demos, does she have to forfeit the ones that don't have blogs with exclusively Stampin Up products? Otherwise she'd be violating her own rules..
I just have to say: You are brilliant!!! I would bet that most of the top SU stampers/bloggers also have some none SU 'stuff' on their blogs. I am a new hobby demo, and have to say that I am very troubled by the new policy. I am going to take a couple of days to digest before I make a decision, but....
Old 09-01-2009, 06:37 PM   #165
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagleg View Post
I was thinking the same thing...

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
― Spider Robinson
Old 09-01-2009, 06:37 PM   #166
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stctrent View Post
I just have to say: You are brilliant!!! I would bet that most of the top SU stampers/bloggers also have some none SU 'stuff' on their blogs. I am a new hobby demo, and have to say that I am very troubled by the new policy. I am going to take a couple of days to digest before I make a decision, but....
But it's not retroactive . . .there's stuff out there - it just can't be at some point (I forget - when they sign/by a certain date).
Old 09-01-2009, 06:41 PM   #167
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I thought about putting a link to the thread in the Site forum, but I didn't want to put anyone on the spot. I don't know that it will really affect them at all as an entity. It will seem odd to see SU ads on SCS.

It may affect team members or moderators who are also demos and I believe they are probably looking into whether that is a conflict of interest to SU.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:42 PM   #168
Insane Embellisher

I would also like to know how this effects Splitcoast.
you made them feel!
Old 09-01-2009, 06:43 PM   #169
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
well technically as the board provides for all vendors and some are even investors then does that mean that demos who have signed the agreement can't post on SCS? can't post in the general section of SCS?

Personally if I ran this site I would be tempted to pull the plug on the demo side with immediate effect and let the chips fall where the may as SU! have stated they can't play with the rest of us.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:49 PM   #170
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciesfloozies View Post
I'm a hobby SU, and tonight I placed my last order.
I'm new to the blogging world, but I'm not going to be restricted to what I say on my blog. If I want to say i got something at Target or Gina K or Wal-Mart, I'm not going to let SU or anyone else dictate that to me.
If I still want SU stuff, my DIL sells it.
Thats my 2 cents!
I'm in the same boat. Is there any reason I need to place my order today or do I have until the end of the month?

This is dumb. I'm irritated. I want to be a hobby demo. I want to use whichever stamp I choose. I want to blog about powwows and new kitchens and whatever I want. I guess I want too much.

Sorry. That was my rant. I just need to know if I should place my last order tonight or if I can wait a week or so.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:50 PM   #171
Stazon Splitcoast

Demos can post here, they can't link SCS to their blogs:

".....Consider the web site or online community you choose to participate in. Does it actively promote or market other craft companies? Does it provide information on products or catalogs for other stamping, scrapbooking, or home decorating products or companies? If you directed your customers to the web site, would they have the opportunity to learn about and purchase similar products from other companies, and not from you? If the answer is yes, under the new IDA guidelines, you should refrain from linking to the site in your other personal electronic communications, regardless of your personal activity on that forum or web site."
Old 09-01-2009, 06:50 PM   #172
Stazon Splitcoast

Ok..a friend just sent me here to read this..in a nutshell..what is up with SU..I am a demo...but maybe not for much longer
Old 09-01-2009, 06:52 PM   #173
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherthosestamps View Post
Ok..a friend just sent me here to read this..in a nutshell..what is up with SU..I am a demo...but maybe not for much longer
If you have demo forum access, head over there.....lots to digest. Of course, reading the new IDA and listening to the video is also recommended.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:52 PM   #174
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkadot View Post
And... who wants to read a blog that's all about Stampin Up? I like a blog with variety... with all the new products, trends, & ideas that are out there.
Me too.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:00 PM   #175
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Valerie11 View Post
If you have demo forum access, head over there.....lots to digest. Of course, reading the new IDA and listening to the video is also recommended.
I'm not SU! but I totally agree that SU! demos need to sort through the facts and exactly what it means and realize that just because a non-demo asks a hard question that it isn't bashing a product.

Considering you are ALL signing a new contract the only stupid questions are the ones you didn't ask.

Personally if SU don't change their stance I can change mine and double check that my blog links don't promote their product. I'm only one person but if any company tells people they can't be my friend and link me I would be doing them a disservice to not reciprocate and inform others why I have made such a decision.

ATM I couldn't tell you if I link to SU demo blogs or not because it just wasn't as important to me as sending people toward others that inspire me. If SU! stand by their policy I certainly have every right to re-evaluate mine.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:01 PM   #176
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
headed to demo area now...thanks
Old 09-01-2009, 07:05 PM   #177
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Demos can post here, they can't link SCS to their blogs:

".....Consider the web site or online community you choose to participate in. Does it actively promote or market other craft companies? Does it provide information on products or catalogs for other stamping, scrapbooking, or home decorating products or companies? If you directed your customers to the web site, would they have the opportunity to learn about and purchase similar products from other companies, and not from you? If the answer is yes, under the new IDA guidelines, you should refrain from linking to the site in your other personal electronic communications, regardless of your personal activity on that forum or web site."
Thanks, I'm still getting my head around this.

So SU! don't want their demos to promote SCS because SCS has other vendors. But they will be happy for their demos to participate in order to promote their own business.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:07 PM   #178
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post

Personally if SU don't change their stance I can change mine and double check that my blog links don't promote their product. I'm only one person but if any company tells people they can't be my friend and link me I would be doing them a disservice to not reciprocate and inform others why I have made such a decision.
Exactly and I've already seen evidence of this type of posting - just a general reference to product. i.e. blue card stock, or 1/4" grosgrain, etc.

Maybe their bottom line will see just how much they benefited from all the free advertising they have gotten over the years from sites like this or more recently from the blog world when the sales start plummeting even more than they already have.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:08 PM   #179
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
I do think that we may be missing something here - that it could be the business strategy of SU! to not have so many demos who get discounts. Say 25% of their demos leave then if those people are replaced by full paying customers SU! is in profit.
Then good luck to the remaining demos in trying to find 10,000 people, each willing to spend $1,200 every year in SU only products
Old 09-01-2009, 07:09 PM   #180
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahmegan View Post
I'm in the same boat. Is there any reason I need to place my order today or do I have until the end of the month?

This is dumb. I'm irritated. I want to be a hobby demo. I want to use whichever stamp I choose. I want to blog about powwows and new kitchens and whatever I want. I guess I want too much.

Sorry. That was my rant. I just need to know if I should place my last order tonight or if I can wait a week or so.
Hey Meagan - I'm in the boat with you. Very upset with all of this. I've been a demo for 4 years and WILL NOT let anyone tell me what I can post on my personal blog. That is ridiculous! Funny but their punches are manufactured by EK Success! Anyway, you have until the end of the month to sign the IDA before they CUT you off! And not only do they cut you off they will cut off your customers from ordering as well! Can you tell I'm just a wee bit upset! Anywho...
Old 09-01-2009, 07:12 PM   #181
Stazon Splitcoast

Personally, I wouldn't sign anything or not until the last day of September (or at least last week) you are in a better position to negotiate with a contract on the table. If they want you to act like businesspeople then act like it and start negotiations.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #182
Stazon Splitcoast

I haven't been to the demo side in some time - not a demo anymore. I am curious what the "feel" is over there. Someone said it was a "train wreck" earlier.

From what I remember, even if there were valid complaints about SU they were usually rapidly overtaken by the cheerleaders. Personally, I'm all for loyalty but not blind loyalty.

So... can anyone satisfy the curiosity? Train wreck? or Cheerleading? or none of my non-demo business? (really, that's an okay answer, too!)
Old 09-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #183
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Personally if I ran this site I would be tempted to pull the plug on the demo side with immediate effect and let the chips fall where the may as SU! have stated they can't play with the rest of us.
Agreed. Let SU!'s Stampin' Discuss be the place for demo information.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:15 PM   #184
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
So... can anyone satisfy the curiosity? Train wreck? or Cheerleading? or none of my non-demo business? (really, that's an okay answer, too!)
All of the above, well, except none of your business.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:15 PM   #185
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherthosestamps View Post
If you are a demo then you need to go to the SU website and read for yourself what it says and watch Shelli"s video.

Before you jump off the cliff with the rest of the panic stricken, take a look at this...... A poll taken on the demo side

Has no effect on me and I'll stay a demo 340 65.76%
I'll change my online activities and stay a demo. 60 11.61%
I'll drop DT work, change my online activities, and stay a demo 6 1.16%
I will no longer stay a demo 80 15.47%
I will no longer stay a demo or a customer 31 6.00%

I think the percentages pretty much show what the majority of demos feel about this new ruling.
I have a feeling that the person who started this survey thought the results were going to be a little different than what they are.

No one, meaning SU, is going to censor your email, no one is asking the demos to give up using non SU product even. What they are asking is that we don't promote or advertise, (by any means on the internet) or give info that could be construed as advertising or leading someone to this non SU product by posting links to that product.

Have you ever been on a blog that says, "Hi, I'm a Demo for Stampin'Up! and then goes on to show all kinds of artwork done that has no SU products on them?

As for the design team demos, I do really feel for them because they did this in all good standing with SU and with the blessings of SU. I know that some of them will choose their design team work for various reason and I don't blame them.
But because of our changing world and because so many people are buying from what they see on the web, SU has felt it is time to make changes in that area. I feel bad that it is going to be difficult for some demos, but, those are the rules and it looks like (from the poll above) that the majority understand where SU is coming from.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:15 PM   #186
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelCarol View Post
I think it's pretty sad if they're relying on other SU! demos to police their friends!! One would have to be rather "hateful" to do something like that!
I agree with this whole heartedly! I think it would be very hateful though.

My Gallery
Old 09-01-2009, 07:16 PM   #187
Die Cut Diva

I called to cancel my SU web site today and waited over 30 minutes to speak to a rep. I'm sure that LOTS of people are ending their relationships with SU. NO more free advertising from me. I removed all links on my blog relating to SU and their products. I'm not sure what they are thinking. I will certainly miss my paper once it runs out!
Old 09-01-2009, 07:16 PM   #188
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaniels View Post
Hey Meagan - I'm in the boat with you. Very upset with all of this. I've been a demo for 4 years and WILL NOT let anyone tell me what I can post on my personal blog. That is ridiculous! Funny but their punches are manufactured by EK Success! Anyway, you have until the end of the month to sign the IDA before they CUT you off! And not only do they cut you off they will cut off your customers from ordering as well! Can you tell I'm just a wee bit upset! Anywho...
You and me both, friend. By the way, I was going to PM you. I'm soooooo excited to see you in Austin soon!!!! I thought you were so much fun at dinner that one night. I'm an overnighter and I think we'll have a blast. I'm so looking forward to it.

As for SU, I just have to shrug my shoulders. They're not interested enough in my hobby demo status, so I'll be a very limited customer. I love their stuff, but there's too much to choose from. Good thing PTI has superior cs...just have to wait for a few more colors, then all will be good!
Old 09-01-2009, 07:16 PM   #189
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
I haven't been to the demo side in some time - not a demo anymore. I am curious what the "feel" is over there. Someone said it was a "train wreck" earlier.

From what I remember, even if there were valid complaints about SU they were usually rapidly overtaken by the cheerleaders. Personally, I'm all for loyalty but not blind loyalty.

IMO, it's about the same as it is here. I don't see any bashing here, just questions and trying to understand as much as possible. Same on the other side.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:17 PM   #190
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Oh Nancy I wish I had thought to check that out before I removed myself from the demo group! dang!
Old 09-01-2009, 07:18 PM   #191
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

It's a mix. There's some that are all for it and some that are against it. There's a poll. 300+ it isn't going to affect them at all. 60+ will quit being demos and a handful will quit being demos AND customers. There were some other specifics, but that's the gist. Check out Joan B's blog for more info. She's got some info posted there.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:19 PM   #192
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapom View Post
I know you are being very serious here, but I honestly cannot read any of your posts without laughing. What IS that on your cat's head?!! Oh... how could you.. the un-dignity of it LOL!!
Old 09-01-2009, 07:20 PM   #193
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evalou View Post
A poll taken on the demo side

I think the percentages pretty much show what the majority of demos feel about this new ruling.
I have a feeling that the person who started this survey thought the results were going to be a little different than what they are.
Polls don't mean a lot, especially ones that aren't public and can be voted on more than once. I don't have much faith in this poll, just like in most polls that abound.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:21 PM   #194
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Valerie - since you are a SU demo and also work with other companies, what do you personally plan to do on your blog? You are a very inspirational stamper/designer for so many people, it would be sad if you had to give that up.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:21 PM   #195
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaniels View Post
I called to cancel my SU web site today and waited over 30 minutes to speak to a rep. I'm sure that LOTS of people are ending their relationships with SU. NO more free advertising from me. I removed all links on my blog relating to SU and their products. I'm not sure what they are thinking. I will certainly miss my paper once it runs out!
PTI's stuff is fantastic. Plus, it's affordable AND they have free shipping. SU looks like a rip off in comparison. It really does. They've got the market share due to being the old guy on the block. They have awesome designs and other things I'm going to miss, but that's how it goes. In short, you won't miss that paper too much.

I waited less than 10 minutes and she was quite apathetic. I was very friendly and politely told her that I was sad about the changes. She really didn't care, so we amicably hung up. Oh well.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:21 PM   #196
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapom View Post
Lemme tell ya, a LOT of the demos on this site consider themselves SU! cops. I would venture to say that a good 30% of the posts in the Demo Business Talk forum are about how Susie SU is breaking the rules by using stickles at a workshop! Or how Donna Demo saw a current item on Ebay! Most of them end with a resounding chorus of "Call Demo Support!!!" Honestly, it's the most ridiculous thing ever. If these gals worked their business with the skill and frequency that they tattle on each other they would be millionaires.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:22 PM   #197
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Agreed. Let SU!'s Stampin' Discuss be the place for demo information.
TRAIN WRECK, that is hilarious, believe it or not, there are several posts going and I think everyone is stating their feelings and their opinions in a very kind and adult manner. To be sure, there are disagreements, but certainly not to the magnitude of being a train wreck.

Quite honestly, even the demos who are upset and angry have been nicer about their comments of SU (and those they disagree with) than they have been here in the general forum.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:23 PM   #198
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evalou View Post
If you are a demo then you need to go to the SU website and read for yourself what it says and watch Shelli"s video.

Before you jump off the cliff with the rest of the panic stricken, take a look at this...... A poll taken on the demo side

Your sample is about 500 out of how many demos and not randomized.

I don't know how many demos there are in the world but this poll is neither statistically significant nor scientifically sound so the generalization "the majority of demos" can not be made in this instance.

And I do agree that if your blog says you are a Stampin Up demo then it should at least showcase SU the majority of the time.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:23 PM   #199
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by plkelley View Post
Lemme tell ya, a LOT of the demos on this site consider themselves SU! cops. I would venture to say that a good 30% of the posts in the Demo Business Talk forum are about how Susie SU is breaking the rules by using stickles at a workshop! Or how Donna Demo saw a current item on Ebay! Most of them end with a resounding chorus of "Call Demo Support!!!" Honestly, it's the most ridiculous thing ever. If these gals worked their business with the skill and frequency that they tattle on each other they would be millionaires.
Susie SU and Donna Demo = HILARIOUS!!!!
Old 09-01-2009, 07:23 PM   #200
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikimom View Post
Valerie - since you are a SU demo and also work with other companies, what do you personally plan to do on your blog? You are a very inspirational stamper/designer for so many people, it would be sad if you had to give that up.
I emailed my small base of SU! customers today alerting them that I will no longer be a demonstrator. I have no plans to eliminate anything that I put on my blog, it is mine and mine alone to post what I want, link who I want and all, not be dictated to by SU! on what they feel is appropriate.