Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-01-2009, 03:33 PM   #121
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen B Barber View Post
I think you have to compare apples to apples and realize that all direct sales companies have boundaries like the ones SU is laying down. All they are asking us not to do is directly link our design work to a store to buy what we just designed. To me, it's all part and parcel to what I signed in the first place when I said I would not sell for the competition. If you ask me, this too shall pass. We may lose a few in the wake, and that's sad, and I sympathize with those who have difficult decisions to make, but in the long run, Stampin' Up! has changed my life, and I am forever grateful to a company that I have found, does listen. Just my 2 cents worth.
So, do you only link to other SU demo's? What if someone was a demo, they are your best stamping friend and you have them linked on your blog because you just love them that much, and you met them 10 years ago at convention and they have now branched out - are you cutting them out of your blogging and facebook and email life because "that's business"? What if a childhood friend of yours gets in touch on Facebook and you friend them and don't realize they work for the "opposition" are you not going to be their friend in public?

There is business and there is pettiness.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-01-2009, 03:40 PM   #122
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikimom View Post
This got me to thinking of the flip side of this issue - SU wants to have a "One Way Only" communication by not having links that would suggest other companies. But what about all the blogs for other products that link to SU blog info? I'm sure they love that. That is what's great about two-way or multiple lines of communication - it benefits everyone.

So, do bloggers who are not SU demos but use and mention their products in their posts stop giving them free advertising? Where does this end? Yikes!
I've decided that anything I post after today when I use a SU product, I will only mention it in generic terms. "colored cardstock" "corner punch" "1/4 inch grosgrain ribbon" etc. It is just awful what they're doing to my friends who have to make the decision to stay with SU or stay with being CREATIVE.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:40 PM   #123
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothermars View Post
Part of the point of this thread is that many of us speaking out are former SU demonstrators who are frustrated and disappointed with the changes we are seeing in a company we once loved, lived, and breathed. We were good at what we did. We followed every corporate policy to the letter. We promoted SU products and only SU products through SU-approved avenues at a time when we knew we were the best on the market, when the only place to get stamping and scrapbooking supplies for many people was through a SU demonstrator. That has changed.

Yes, SU still has some of the best products on the stamping market, but they do not have the best products on the scrapbooking market, and they certainly are not the only source for stamping and scrapbooking. Yet SU is still requiring its demonstrators to behave as if SU is the only company, to continue to ignore comments customers make in classes about a new product SU doesn't carry or about a product SU carries at a higher price than every craft store. SU is not reacting to the current market, economy, nor online community as quickly nor as well as other companies.
Well said, and I agree!!!

The joy of the LORD is my strength.

Right Brain Madness --My blog
Proud member of the redDivas
KSS certified multi-step stamper
Fan Club member since 2004
Old 09-01-2009, 03:46 PM   #124
Watercolor Wizard

I used to be a hobby demo and enjoyed having the demonstrator discount. I never have had nor do I think I ever will have a blog or make any money by being part of a design team for any company. My card making is a hobby that I love and gives me a great deal of creative satisfaction - it's one of the few things I'm "good" at (and I say good - not the absolute best or the fanciest but good).

As far as SU making demos sign and agreement to only promote their products I don't see anything wrong with it. I work for Walmart. I don't send my friends and family to Target or Kmart to go shopping. Walmart isn't perfect but they are the ones who sign my paycheck and I support them.

I do LOVE SU products. Their coordinating papers, inks, markers, etc. are the core of what I use to make my cards. As far as their stamp sets go - I was dissapointed in what's in the newest catalog and found very little that I'd want to buy. As far as their accessories, I can get the same products at my LSS without a wait and without directly paying shipping (I'm sure shipping is figured into the pricing at stores but since it's "hidden" I don't resent paying it).

America is free enterprise and SU has the right to make the rules for their demos.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:04 PM   #125
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm seeing it this way:

The really serious business demos were probably SU-only most of the time anyway. They can upload whatever they want and just label non-SU as such. Linking to only SUO blogs . . . well, that's a shame. They still have all the other means of selling the product -- classes, workshops, etc.

The hobby demos aren't all bloggers so they can still go along having home parties and selling to friends and family and themselves, getting benefits and discounts.

But I'm thinking there are some who are in the middle ~ taking advantage of newer avenues of electronic communication to improve their "hobby business."

And ... well, telling people what they can do on a personal blog is a bit over the top.

It all just seems like going backwards to me. The internet has changed business. Get over it.

When the dust settles, everyone will get used to it. But my opinion of SU is lessened and I'm not sure it was a wise move.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:09 PM   #126
Mad Swapper

I just went to Shelli's website.. the link she has for her challenges. I clicked on a few of the winners' links and lo-and-behold, all of the winners that I checked had other cards on their blogs that were not Stampin Up.

So, when Shelli chooses winners that just happen to be Demos, does she have to forfeit the ones that don't have blogs with exclusively Stampin Up products? Otherwise she'd be violating her own rules..
Old 09-01-2009, 04:10 PM   #127
Crimping Master

I agree, with one exception...if you work for Tupperware, there is unlikely to be a very different product from another company...but with stamping and scrapping companies, there are often very different products and styles from company to company. This makes it harder to stick to just one.

I'm not a demo, although I considered signing up as a hobby demo, and now for sure I won't become one. I'd have to remove all my Whiff of Joy stuff from my blog, and just couldn't do that!

Am enjoying reading the responses, glad they've been civil so far!
Old 09-01-2009, 04:19 PM   #128
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by akstampmama View Post
Is she on a design team? Would you really ask your daughter to give up her business because she can't have your blog link on her blog? Seems like you may be overeacting a bit. I think people are getting a little worked up about this - especially those who are not demos. If this directy affects you and your business maybe you should be discussing it over on the demo side. Otherwise I'm not sure what point there is to this thread.
I think SU customers need to know this, Me as an SU cutomers needs to know this. Especially people thinking of becoming an SU demo needs to know this.

Keeping this quite I see no point in it.

"The quickest way for a parent to get a child's attention is to sit down and look comfortable.

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.
For Sale
Old 09-01-2009, 04:22 PM   #129
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

According to what I read, you can have other products on your blog, but you just can't link those items to the manufacturer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikiBee View Post
I just went to Shelli's website.. the link she has for her challenges. I clicked on a few of the winners' links and lo-and-behold, all of the winners that I checked had other cards on their blogs that were not Stampin Up.

So, when Shelli chooses winners that just happen to be Demos, does she have to forfeit the ones that don't have blogs with exclusively Stampin Up products? Otherwise she'd be violating her own rules..

My Gallery
Old 09-01-2009, 04:23 PM   #130
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by steubner View Post
Here's the thing. If I sell your product, great, it's in my best interest to only promote it. Otherwise I'm sending dollars to someone else. But to tell me what I can and can't say on Facebook? or Twitter? Or I can't link to my friend, when I say I went to visit her, because she's on a design team? That's totally ridiculous. If SU wants to pay for demos blogs or reimburse them for their time spent doing their PERSONAL HOBBY, then great, they can govern what you say and link to. But until then, it just rubs me the wrong way that they're trying. I'm a former demo, been gone for over a year. But I would resign today if I were still one.
This is exactly how I feel. I was thinking about quiting SU and this just pushed into my final decision. I will be done in the next couple of weeks for good.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:31 PM   #131
Glitter Guru

As a customer and as a knowledgeable consumer, it is imperative that I know what the agreement is. I will not support what I think is not fair. If is has to be hidden from the consumer then something is very, very wrong.

My husband is a manufacturer's rep and this is not something that is done across the board in business. He would be lacking in his business if he did not give the consumer choices, say... in fabric. If you were bent on using a certain fabric then his company would not make your church pews??? I think not! They won't guarantee the fabric but they will the pew for 25 years. Use their fabric, the warranty is for 25 years.

What I am saying is, to get the exact same results for your project from the Stampin' Up catalog, yes, you have to use their product. But to limit my creativity by not letting people share theirs--something is wrong with that. And, if Stampin Up is limiting my demo, they are limiting me.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:31 PM   #132
Pearl-ExPert

I couldn't agree with you more Deborah! I am no longer a SU demo (was one for 4 years) and sure sold quite a bit. I was also one to send customers other places for better deals (one similar SU products) and was appreciated more because of it. It actually brought about more sales for SU because they would save at Michael's and spend more with SU...

This is all quite sad and I have quite a few dear friends going to be in quite a quandary! I sure feel for them. I like being an equal opportunity stamper...SU gave me a wonderful start, but I feel I have grown more as a paper crafter since I dropped from SU (JMHO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzi333 View Post
I think that is just sad. First prices in the Canadian SU catty's rose up to 25 % - and our dollar at about 93 cents on the US dollar. That turned me off SU as a Canadian buyer.

I know my demo has had some misgivings with SU. This just smacks of Big Brother. They are going to lose more and more of my business. It's nice to deal with an ethical company. And SU is getting less and less that way. I like how most of the SCS member companies here are not exclusive to one another - they are happy to have challenges where you use other's products. I wonder why SU is so afraid ? I respect companies like Stamping Bella, Gina K, MFT , Crafty Secrets and many others who are kind to each other and run challenges here on SCS where on can use any product. Those are the kind of companies that I want to deal with.
As for SU having some of the best products - I would question that!
Old 09-01-2009, 04:37 PM   #133
Stazon Splitcoast

My biggest thing about this whole issue is that demos cannot list where the NON SU items come from - we are suppose to say "a big box store' as saying Michaels for a box to alter is against policy!
I also have an issue with how they are trying to control PERSONAL blogs/facebook/twitter/myspace - you CANNOT link to anything that has other companies - NOT EVEN SCS!
If they want that control then they need to give every demo with a blog a monthly allowance to help pay for it.
Demos are not allowed to talk in forum (like the general side of SCS) about anything not SU.
Like I stated earlier I am one that is quitting as I am NOT strictly SU. I love SU carstock and some stamps but there are way to many other companies that I like and buy from. I will never limit myself.

This really feels like they need to start telling when we can go potty as it may be against policy if we go at the wrong time.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:38 PM   #134
Glitter Guru

I think the restrictions on personal blogs is over the top. I could never agree to something like that. I'd have to quit being a demo. And relying on demos to turn in other demos that break the rules? That just seems creepy.

I buy alot of SU product. I just placed an order in August and was planning on placing an order in Sept or October, guess I'll have to see if my demo is sticking around. then decide how I feel about SU.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
― Spider Robinson
Old 09-01-2009, 04:39 PM   #135
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Just for the record - On the conference call someone asked about mentioning Michaels or other stores when SU doesn't carry the product anyway, and the answer was, hey, if you want to mention you got your flower pot or whatever at Michaels, fine, but better yet would be to say, you got it at an area craft store- I really think this whole thread has gotten ridiculous mentioning outlandish possibilities of silly scenarios - bottom line - SU did what all direct sales companies do, they do NOT plan to police blogs and they are giving us sensible guidelines to follow to keep our businesses profitable. Too much nit picking about something that will all be water under the bridge soon enough and those who wish to comply will comply and those who wish to move on will move on. Use your energy to say a prayer for the fine demonstrators who this truly affects, that they will make the right decision and the one in their best interest. That's where my heart is right now.....it's a waste of time to sit around bashing the company and coming up with far fetched scenarios. They never said we could not link to people who use other stamps or products - they said we could not link to people who are selling other products on their blogs - way different. Let's all try to at least get the facts straight before we criticize. Two more cents worth.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:40 PM   #136
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceramicat1 View Post
I think the restrictions on personal blogs is over the top. I could never agree to something like that. I'd have to quit being a demo. And relying on demos to turn in other demos that break the rules? That just seems creepy.

I buy alot of SU product. I just placed an order in August and was planning on placing an order in Sept or October, guess I'll have to see if my demo is sticking around. then decide how I feel about SU.
I totally agree on that!
Old 09-01-2009, 04:43 PM   #137
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Just for the record - On the conference call someone asked about mentioning Michaels or other stores when SU doesn't carry the product anyway, and the answer was, hey, if you want to mention you got your flower pot or whatever at Michaels, fine, but better yet would be to say, you got it at an area craft store- I really think this whole thread has gotten ridiculous mentioning outlandish possibilities of silly scenarios - bottom line - SU did what all direct sales companies do, they do NOT plan to police blogs and they are giving us sensible guidelines to follow to keep our businesses profitable. Too much nit picking about something that will all be water under the bridge soon enough and those who wish to comply will comply and those who wish to move on will move on. Use your energy to say a prayer for the fine demonstrators who this truly affects, that they will make the right decision and the one in their best interest. That's where my heart is right now.....it's a waste of time to sit around bashing the company and coming up with far fetched scenarios. They never said we could not link to people who use other stamps or products - they said we could not link to people who are selling other products on their blogs - way different. Let's all try to at least get the facts straight before we criticize. Two more cents worth.

I would say most of us can read and understand what they are saying. It is a concern to me as a consumer.

I wish you well in your loyalty. That is not for me as a consumer in America. If this is the case, then the royalties must be way more awesome than I heard. I would not stay in it for less than 60% that is for sure!
Old 09-01-2009, 04:54 PM   #138
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Wow - so does that mean you won't answer my questions on whether friendship or SU comes first that I asked in post #121? As has been said SU is a business, but when the chips are down its friends people will rely on, and to cut them off for the sake of business is an interesting choice some will be forced to make.

I don't think many people actually sell product on their blogs - most promote their favorite products from whatever company unless there is censorship, so not different at all.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:00 PM   #139
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

"The changes restrict you from providing purchasing information, referrals to catalogs or publications, links to blogs or other web sites, or other similar material meant to promote, market, or sell competitive products. "

You know, discussing our opinions isnt necessarily "bashing." I really get annoyed when any criticism is considered "bashing." It's not.

And if this is all so reasonable, then why is everyone required to sign a new IDA? They use words like restricted and prohibited an awful lot in this announcement. Yes... "guidelines" is used. Then why not issue some formal, official guidelines rather than make people sign this sort of document?

If I were being asked to sign something like this, holy cow I'd be nitpicking!! I wouldn't sign something I didn't feel I could comply with - and I'd be thinking of scenarios, too.

I think all of the discussion on this thread has been pertinent and reasonable. Thank goodness there are plenty of people that don't just nod and move along with whatever they are asked to do.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:09 PM   #140
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Linda - Facts are - there have been a lot of misquotes and misunderstandings flying everywhere today concerning the changes, so maybe most folks read and understand but there are definetley things being taken out of context and misunderstood - thus my comments. They are not aimed at anyone in particular - I don't even know who said what, I just read the thread from start to finish.

SU has changed my life, along with thousands of others I know who would tell you the same. I know this is a difficult pill for many to swallow and my heart goes out to them. I have worked for many a company in my day,and have never seen any listen like SU does. You can't put a percentage of income on that. I thank you for your well wishes. But my loyalty needs no boost~ it just comes from watching for 12+ years and seeing a class act on a consistent basis.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:11 PM   #141
Compulsive Stamper

I disagree with Karen. The post that I got from SU today ,said that we could not give the name of the company that we got a non SU product from, and we could not give the price of it. They also said that if we didn't sign the agreement by Sept 30th, they would no longer sell to us (demonstrators) Well I say, I hope that all of the gals that say
they are going to quit SU, do. Like so many others have said, SU in not the only company out there.
Sharon
Old 09-01-2009, 05:14 PM   #142
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vz5dzh View Post
Yes, it doesn't say we can't come to SCS or even post our cards on SCS. It just says we can't link to SCS from our blogs, emails, etc.

Which totally sucks! i often link to tutorials here on SCS...why reinvent the wheel when it's already written out with pics here!
Old 09-01-2009, 05:17 PM   #143
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
We are not bashing - but voicing our opinions! This is not 'nit picking' but factual.
I have read - watched the video and TALKED TO DS - AND YES in the video Shellie states we need to say "acrylic paint" instead of Delta paint - 'BigBox store' instead of Michaels.
DS also said that we cannot comment on public forums like SCS about any crafting item that is not SU.
THIS is what has alot of people upset. We are being told what we can and cannot even say.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:19 PM   #144
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharono View Post
I disagree with Karen. The post that I got from SU today ,said that we could not give the name of the company that we got a non SU product from, and we could not give the price of it. They also said that if we didn't sign the agreement by Sept 30th, they would no longer sell to us (demonstrators) Well I say, I hope that all of the gals that say
they are going to quit SU, do. Like so many others have said, SU in not the only company out there.
Sharon
I am with you as In the video Shellie also says this.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:20 PM   #145
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsjllove View Post
I've decided that anything I post after today when I use a SU product, I will only mention it in generic terms. "colored cardstock" "corner punch" "1/4 inch grosgrain ribbon" etc. It is just awful what they're doing to my friends who have to make the decision to stay with SU or stay with being CREATIVE.
AHHHHH...that's interesting and HILARIOUS! If and when I DO leave (which I think I probably will), I love this idea... an eye for an eye, so to speak.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:30 PM   #146
Stampin' Fool

Just one quick thought...how on earth is SU going to police this? With all of the demos/blogs/websites---there must be thousands upon thousands!--how are they going to find an "infraction"? Are they going to employ "X" number of people whose sole job is to check every stamping related website to enforce this policy?
I am thinking this just seems unenforceable in practical terms.
I'm not a demo, just a customer who is appalled by this action.

Joy
Old 09-01-2009, 05:36 PM   #147
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by isewquilts2 View Post
Just one quick thought...how on earth is SU going to police this? With all of the demos/blogs/websites---there must be thousands upon thousands!--how are they going to find an "infraction"? Are they going to employ "X" number of people whose sole job is to check every stamping related website to enforce this policy?

Joy
I believe someone here said that they will rely on other demos to inform them of infractions.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:37 PM   #148
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by isewquilts2 View Post

Joy
They will most probably rely on the honor system and other people informing them of infractions.

I don't think it sets the right tone for a hobby business for their demos to be policing each other as well. The upline should be the ones enforcing reasonable rules. And I don't see why if my BFF is an SU demo she can't be my friend and we can't talk about all stamping products electronically. Its hardly a matter of National Security what my favorite scoring tool is and where I got it and if I used a coupon.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:40 PM   #149
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsjllove View Post
Well, I can say that my final SU order was placed a few months ago. I won't be buying anymore SU products now that they've done this to their most loyal fans.

Now I'll be on the lookout to find a good source of dimensionals. :P
Sorry, small hijack:
I've been using the 1/16 thick roll for dimensionals.
http://stampinktons.home.att.net/Foa...foam_tape.html
$7.50 a roll, and $4.25 shipping for up to two rolls. Each roll is 36 yards.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:40 PM   #150
Compulsive Stamper

I think it's pretty sad if they're relying on other SU! demos to police their friends!! One would have to be rather "hateful" to do something like that!
Old 09-01-2009, 05:42 PM   #151
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelCarol View Post
I think it's pretty sad if they're relying on other SU! demos to police their friends!! One would have to be rather "hateful" to do something like that!
Well, that's a little strong. Some demos are convinced that these steps are necessary for their business to succeed. And if they are following the rules, that others should also. I couldn't do it myself though.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:44 PM   #152
Gallery Gazer

No flames, please. Just stating my opinion...

To me, SU is becoming more and more like a religious cult. They're teaming up with other companies to sell this and that and continually expand their line of products (I was personally turned off with the variety of "stuff" that was brought out in the Mini). They're limiting what people can put on their personal blogs. They're limiting what demos can use in workshops. They're getting us hooked and then hiking their prices. Soon enough, they're going to want demos to ONLY hang out with other SU people, alienating them from all their friends and family. (Kay, maybe that's a bit far-fetched, but you get where I'm going with this) They've become very controlling, which is their right to do, but I for one want absolutely no part in it. I will never purchase from SU again.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:45 PM   #153
Rubber Obsessor

What business would promote other companies ? Well what about magazines. Like Stampers Sampler ,they have their own line of Stamps (Stampington) yet they freely post card after card using lots of competators stamps and supplies! Its called Free Enterprise!! What a shame it will be for demo's to not be allowed to submit their work for publication if they include anything non-Stampin up! or because the magazine promotes other companies as well. How much business will they lose just due to that????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minders View Post
First of all, I personally don't think this should be being discussed on the general side, it's a demo issue...flame me for it if you want, whatever...

Second, it doesn't really surprise me, SU! is a business and it's goal is to make money. What business would be ok with employees promoting competing merchandise, etc. I work at a hospital, there are two in town...I can't go to work wearing a t-shirt with the other hospitals logo on it. I know it's not the SAME thing exactly but you get the gist. While it does kind of suck, it's not the worst thing ever, people will cope and adjust.

Finally I don't see what all the doom and gloom about SCS coming to an end is. From what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) we can still post our cards here, we just can't link them to our blog or send people here from our blog (or FB or whatever it may be). And speaking of my blog, I have NO idea why I or anyone else would ever promote non-SU projects anyway...I want people to BUY IT ALL from me Personally I use only SU products anyway, it's just easier for me to match everything together and I don't waste money on stuff that I'm not sure what to do with or what to match it with.

So flame me for my comments if you want...I can take it. I'm sticking with SU!
Old 09-01-2009, 05:46 PM   #154
Stazon Splitcoast

I do think that we may be missing something here - that it could be the business strategy of SU! to not have so many demos who get discounts. Say 25% of their demos leave then if those people are replaced by full paying customers SU! is in profit.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #155
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidiculouslyAddicted View Post
No flames, please. Just stating my opinion...

To me, SU is becoming more and more like a religious cult. They're teaming up with other companies to sell this and that and continually expand their line of products (I was personally turned off with the variety of "stuff" that was brought out in the Mini). They're limiting what people can put on their personal blogs. They're limiting what demos can use in workshops. They're getting us hooked and then hiking their prices. Soon enough, they're going to want demos to ONLY hang out with other SU people, alienating them from all their friends and family. (Kay, maybe that's a bit far-fetched, but you get where I'm going with this) They've become very controlling, which is their right to do, but I for one want absolutely no part in it. I will never purchase from SU again.
Not far fetched at all - isn't that pretty much exactly what they have said. You certainly aren't allowed to hang out with them if they promote a competitors product.

Guess SU people won't be going to the newly established retail CHA and telling us about it either...
Old 09-01-2009, 05:52 PM   #156
Compulsive Stamper

What I said may be a little strong but that's the way I interpreted it. I could never "rat" on a friend like that and I would hope that my friend would never "rat" on me! I would do my best to follow procedure if that was the way I wanted to run my business (and who knows, we may someday be in the same boat) but I would not, nor could I, treat fellow demos and friends that way.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:01 PM   #157
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
So, do you only link to other SU demo's? What if someone was a demo, they are your best stamping friend and you have them linked on your blog because you just love them that much, and you met them 10 years ago at convention and they have now branched out - are you cutting them out of your blogging and facebook and email life because "that's business"? What if a childhood friend of yours gets in touch on Facebook and you friend them and don't realize they work for the "opposition" are you not going to be their friend in public?

There is business and there is pettiness.
Never thought of it like that. Good point.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:12 PM   #158
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
I do think that we may be missing something here - that it could be the business strategy of SU! to not have so many demos who get discounts. Say 25% of their demos leave then if those people are replaced by full paying customers SU! is in profit.
Maybe, but I don't think most of those demos who leave will still buy at full price...sure some of them will, but I have a BFF who doesn't blog and only uses her demoship for herself and her Mom to buy... I'll just buy from her if and when I can't live without soemthing. I think SU will end up losing a lot of business over this.

I'm going to wait a few days tho before making a final decision as I'm sure there will be more announcements and clafifications to come.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:29 PM   #159
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGMommyof2 View Post
Just makes me feel that they no longer think their products are good enough to stand up to the competition! It's not like this is going to make people have money to spend! I liked buying SU cause I felt they offered some really good quality items ~ now um, makes me question that....
I had the same thought when I read this. I can understand not wanting demos to directly sell other products but the restrictions are beyond ridiculous. Evidently SU! feels that any consumer who is presented with other stamp options will chose them over SU! products. If they are expecting stampers to use only their products they are living in a fantasy world. Provide a good product at a reasonable price with designs that are trendy and up to date and you will keep business. Try to put your demos and the rest of the stampers in a bubble where we pretend that no other products exist is foolish. I have liked the value of buying SU! woodmount stamps as a set, rather than individual wood stamps. But I have to say that I love the clear acrylic stamps because they are so competitively priced and easy to use. I haven't asked my demo how she feels about this policy and I enjoy working with her but I will have to rethink my support for a company that embraces these policies.

My Blog

Visit My Garden
Old 09-01-2009, 06:29 PM   #160
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiding in My Craft Room View Post
I think this thread is in the interest of all of us, demos, customers, future customers, and especially those who can't get onto the demo threads but are thinking about becoming a demo. I think it is funny that some have posted it is wrong to post or comment here and even start your post that way then continue to comment. Which is it?

My previous demo had to quit b/c she has a pretty big vinyl business but now that Stampin UP has introduced vinyl she can't do both even though she had been selling vinyl years before SU. I do continue to buy SU products but I find that they are getting ridiculousin some of their policies. I can understand stamps, papers, but their are soooo many products that can be used to enhance or embellish that SU doesn't sell. I just don't get it!!!

Another thing, demos who post here only make me want to go out and buy more SU. Especially when they are posting preorder items. I don't think SU has thought this all the way through.

Sorry, one more thing, how do they or will they keep up with it? Well, they can't keep up with it all obviously; however, their will be mad demos who abide all policies and will turn others in. SU will then can the wrong doers as demos. NO second chances.
Yeah, you called me on it...I got on a roll and got confused on which thread (the demo side one or the general) I was posting to...big whoop. I'm outta here, tired of all the SU! bashing if you don't like it fine but plenty of people still do like SU! and I'm one of em...GO SU!

Peace out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member