Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-04-2009, 04:59 AM   #841
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctab View Post
Just so you know no demo is being asked to choose between SCS and SU. We are allowed to link to splitcoast.
.....and that's the biggest joke of all because where in the world can you find more information about competing products than SCS? Where can you find more linkable links to shopping carts, find out about great deals in big box stores or internet stores than right here on SCS?

It sounds to me that SU grossly misinterpreted the loyalty to this site, never once considering that forcing a choice between them and SCS might result in SCS winning and have backtracked quickly.

I was an SU demo myself for 5 years until I found unmounted stamps (through SCS). Had there been no SCS, there are many things I would never have found and my bank balance would be a lot higher. Allowing demos to participate in, and link back to, this site makes no sense when coupled with their new policy.

And IMHO it's very hypocritical of them to say demos can participate here but don't send your customers here.

And lastly, ITA that it's time to remove the demo only forum and rearrange the gallery. Why on earth would SCS continue to make special arrangements for a company that just slapped them so soundly in the face?
Old 09-04-2009, 05:04 AM   #842
Stampin' Fool

Regarding policing compliance:
I know 2 Creative Memories Consultants who started scrapbooking meetup groups. Somehow CM Corp found out, wrote them a letter stating shut the meetup down or no longer be a consultant. They both chose to stay consultants.
Karen S
Old 09-04-2009, 06:06 AM   #843
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayInFL View Post
.....and that's the biggest joke of all because where in the world can you find more information about competing products than SCS? Where can you find more linkable links to shopping carts, find out about great deals in big box stores or internet stores than right here on SCS?

It sounds to me that SU grossly misinterpreted the loyalty to this site, never once considering that forcing a choice between them and SCS might result in SCS winning and have backtracked quickly.

I was an SU demo myself for 5 years until I found unmounted stamps (through SCS). Had there been no SCS, there are many things I would never have found and my bank balance would be a lot higher. Allowing demos to participate in, and link back to, this site makes no sense when coupled with their new policy.

And IMHO it's very hypocritical of them to say demos can participate here but don't send your customers here.

And lastly, ITA that it's time to remove the demo only forum and rearrange the gallery. Why on earth would SCS continue to make special arrangements for a company that just slapped them so soundly in the face?
Except SU has NOT said this at all! There is absoluately no problem with demos coming and participating at SCS nor does the new IDA prevent demonstrators from sending their clients/customers here. SU has specifically said that demonstrator CAN add links to SCS from their blogs, etc.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:07 AM   #844
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:
Just so you know no demo is being asked to choose between SCS and SU. We are allowed to link to splitcoast.
ONLY after they revised the new IDA.

Stampin' Up! Only Challenges Design Team
Proud Fan Club Member Since 2007
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-04-2009, 06:15 AM   #845
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhine01 View Post
May I introduce you to the First Amendment?
As Belinda pointed out several pages earlier, the First Amendment states that "CONGRESS shall make no laws...abriding the freedom of speech...."

Stampin Up is not Congress.

Further, companies across America have rules governing the speech of their employees and independent contractor outside of the business setting. For example the law firm where I work has a policy that states if I have a private (non-work related) issue with a company that is a company of the firm (we happen to represent several large retailers) we cannot write a letter of complaint to that company without first having it approved by management. They don't want employees of the company flaming clients of the firm. Does this abridge my right of free speech? Of course, does it make sense for a business point of view? Yes. Likewise I recently read an article in the local newspaper that discussed the firing of several employees for their conduct (that was otherwise lawful) on their off time that was then posted on You Tube. They tried to sue to get their jobs back saying that their employer had no right to govern their lawful conduct once they left the office and the court rejected thier case, saying that the emplyer did have the ability to fire the employees for the conduct.

Everyday, citizens must make choices. Some of them will abridge on one form of freedom or another. For me, however, it all comes down to choices and consequences and each of us must make the choices that are right for us and be willing to accept the consequences of those choices.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:16 AM   #846

[QUOTE=stampingout;15048333][QUOTE=Kyandy;15048304][I]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evalou View Post

Has no effect on me and I'll stay a demo 340 65.76%
I'll change my online activities and stay a demo. 60 11.61%
I'll drop DT work, change my online activities, and stay a demo 6 1.16%
I will no longer stay a demo 80 15.47%
I will no longer stay a demo or a customer 31 6.00%

I think the percentages pretty much show what the majority of demos feel about this new ruling.
I have a feeling that the person who started this survey thought the results were going to be a little different than what they are.

You also have to keep in mind that this was started in the demo forum where there are die hard use only SU demos, and lots of them! I am not really surprised by these results, but in the real world, I think SU will be shocked at how many demos drop. This poll is very lopsided because it was taken by mostly women who only use SU supplies so it will not effect them at all.
I respectfully disagree. I think people are going to be surprised by how many DON'T drop. There is a whole sea of demos out there that aren't posting their opinions. I know that I have sat on my hands many a time in the past few days as to not respond to some of the nastier posts.

I understand why some are upset and, to be perfectly honest, I didn't like some of the more far-reaching points in the new IDA, but I see them as having been clarified. Is it perfect? No. Will they work on it, as my esteemed colleague, Madame Tink has predicted? I believe it 100%.

SU has never treated it's demos with anything but respect and caring. They are making decisions to protect the company. In my eyes, this can only be seen as a positive as I am trying to run my business in partnership with them. Business decisions will never be seen as completely popular with everyone.

I'm sad that it has come to this.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:17 AM   #847

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayInFL View Post

I've been wondering about that myself and maybe some things are in the works about that, and I certainly wouldn't blame SCS if they turned around and slapped SU back. Like I said yesterday, SCS started because of SU and has done nothing but benefit them tremendously. It's disheartening to see how they're being treated. This place has helped me tremendously in networking and learning, and I've made some great friends.

A lot of people have been asking about SCS doing galleries for other companies and I don't know their thoughts or plans on that, but I can tell you in that owning a PhotoPost site myself, setting this up is actually easy enough. Where the real work comes in would be maintaining it and then having to move every single PAST upload to the right category. I know there's volunteers here that spend their time looking at every single picture and then moving it to the right category if it's accidentally keyworded wrong or other issues, so that when you keyword something, it will come up. That's a lot of hard work and extremely time consuming. Now imagine doing this for the other 50+ stamp companies out there besides SU. SCS would need a lot more volunteers. There's just so much behind the scenes that must happen in order for this place to run as smoothly as it does and the majority don't recognize this. I only know because my little gallery has about 2000 pictures right now and that's a chore in and of itself, not to mention the posting software. I could go on but don't want to hijack the thread.

I just wish that SU would reconsider all the way around what they're doing. Things were actually okay before.

Last edited by KY Southern Belle; 09-04-2009 at 06:27 AM..
Old 09-04-2009, 06:24 AM   #848

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY Southern Belle View Post
I've been wondering about that myself and maybe some things are in the works about that, and I certainly wouldn't blame SCS if they turned around and slapped SU back. Like I said yesterday, SCS started because of SU and has done nothing but benefit them tremendously. It's disheartening to see how they're being treated. This place has helped me tremendously in networking and learning, and I've made some great friends.

A lot of people have been asking about SCS doing galleries for other companies and I don't know their thoughts or plans on that, but I can tell you in that owning a PhotoPost site myself, setting this up is actually easy enough. Where the real work comes in would be maintaining it and then having to move every single upload to the right category. I know there's volunteers here that spend their time looking at every single picture and then moving it to the right category if it's accidentally keyworded wrong or other issues, so that when you keyword something, it will come up. That's a lot of hard work and extremely time consuming. Now imagine doing this for the other 50+ stamp companies out there besides SU. SCS would need a lot more volunteers. There's just so much behind the scenes that must happen in order for this place to run as smoothly as it does and the majority don't recognize this. I only know because my little gallery has about 2000 pictures right now and that's a chore in and of itself, not to mention the posting software. I could go on but don't want to hijack the thread.

I just wish that SU would reconsider all the way around what they're doing. Things were actually okay before.
OK for who, though? SU is trying to protect their company and, in turn, the demos business.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:40 AM   #849

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedubya View Post
OK for who, though? SU is trying to protect their company and, in turn, the demos business.
Everybody, you, me, everybody. Demos had the freedom to run their business in a manner that was beneficial for SU and them.

I wrote the below yesterday:

I am going way out on a limb here, but if you really think about this, in this economy and with their layoffs a few months ago, you could almost consider this a very carefully calculated and brilliantly strategic move on their behalf to reduce their overall overhead and demonstrator(s) benefits and perks. By placing these restrictions, they knew they would lose demos by pushing them to the very edge of IC status and the customers are casualties. It's risky and they know this, but it's also the perfect way for them to scale back, yet remain viable at the same time.

I also think that's the real reason behind all of this cleverly covered up in smoke and playing the emotion card, which in and of itself is pretty mean. You don't choke-chain investments.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:47 AM   #850
Compulsive Stamper

Everything was going along smoothly so I have to say "If it's not broke, don't fix it" By the looks of the SU building, the huge trips for the big demo, the many companies that Sheli and her husband own, I have to say that they are not hurting at all. On the other hand, many of us demos are living week to week on one pay cheque, or a pension, or even mothers help. This stinks of greed to me, and I am soooooo sorry to see that. I always felt that this company was based on love of fellow man and a deep love for God, but now I feel that I was deeply wrong. "I will not sign the agreement"
Good luck to those of you who stay, but I have to warn you "watch your back"
Sharon
Old 09-04-2009, 06:55 AM   #851
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:
Everybody, you, me, everybody. Demos had the freedom to run their business in a manner that was beneficial for SU and them.

I wrote the below yesterday:

I am going way out on a limb here, but if you really think about this, in this economy and with their layoffs a few months ago, you could almost consider this a very carefully calculated and brilliantly strategic move on their behalf to reduce their overall overhead and demonstrator(s) benefits and perks. By placing these restrictions, they knew they would lose demos by pushing them to the very edge of IC status and the customers are casualties. It's risky and they know this, but it's also the perfect way for them to scale back, yet remain viable at the same time.

I also think that's the real reason behind all of this cleverly covered up in smoke and playing the emotion card, which in and of itself is pretty mean. You don't choke-chain investments.
I for one will not sign. Looking at the huge building SU has, knowing the amount of money they spend on convention, huge trips for the big demo, and the fact that Sheli and her husband own several business's . I have to say they are not hurting. On the other hand, many demos are living week to week on one salary, or a pension cheque, or even mothers help. This whole thing stinks of greed. I always felt that SU was based on love of fellow man, and the love of God, but that just does not seem the case any more.
I wish all of you who are going to sign, all of the best, but I will not be stifled
Good luck...Sharon
Old 09-04-2009, 06:56 AM   #852
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharono View Post
Everything was going along smoothly so I have to say "If it's not broke, don't fix it" By the looks of the SU building, the huge trips for the big demo, the many companies that Sheli and her husband own, I have to say that they are not hurting at all. On the other hand, many of us demos are living week to week on one pay cheque, or a pension, or even mothers help. This stinks of greed to me, and I am soooooo sorry to see that. I always felt that this company was based on love of fellow man and a deep love for God, but now I feel that I was deeply wrong. "I will not sign the agreement"
Sharon

They may still love their fellow man and have a deep love of God... but running a company takes money. That's not greed, that's fact. They have employees to pay, product to produce, overhead, etc............. and the size of the building does not mean they're not hurting for cash right now. I'm sure they are.. competition is fierce, hence the new IDA.

You may not agree with it but telling people to watch their back is a little harsh, don't you think? I don't agree with everything they're doing but it's getting a little tiring seeing Shelli personally attacked again and again...
Old 09-04-2009, 07:01 AM   #853

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamp Happy Susie View Post
They may still love their fellow man and have a deep love of God... but running a company takes money. That's not greed, that's fact. They have employees to pay, product to produce, overhead, etc............. and the size of the building does not mean they're not hurting for cash right now. I'm sure they are.. competition is fierce, hence the new IDA.

You may not agree with it but telling people to watch their back is a little harsh, don't you think? I don't agree with everything they're doing but it's getting a little tiring seeing Shelli personally attacked again and again...
I understand about the overhead, etc., but it has to be spent wisely. Look at the auto industry and AIG, etc., lately where the gov't has had to bail them out because of CEO perks. SU is privately owned and so it's a different playing field, but again, I think that this is their way of reducing that overhead in demo perks with this new IDA. Competition is fierce but what they're doing is sending a lot of people to the competition. Customers are more loyal to their demos, not the company.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:02 AM   #854
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharono View Post
Sharon
You know, you are right. Every company is cutting back on the bonuses and maybe that is where they need to start. The problem is that most businesses make the mistake of 'living large' in the good times and then when the economy get rough--whoa! They can't pay the bills and still live large! I have talked to too many business owners lately about this subject. They have given up on the business end because they can't seem to 'get it' that it is time to cut back on some of the extravagances. Sell that big house (or rent it out) sell the boat, cut out the trips...there are ways to cut back, save your bottom line and still be good to you employees. However, the big dog has to suffer some too!
Old 09-04-2009, 07:11 AM   #855
Polyshrink Goddess

There are a couple of SU only blogs that I visit and each one of these ladies has a non SU product that they sell on their blogs. One is templates (which I love) and the other is a foam gizzy for your paper piercer. I am pretty sure one of these ladies is a "top seller", if not both of them for SU.

My ?? is: Will they have to remove these products from their "personal" blogs under the new agreement?
Old 09-04-2009, 07:20 AM   #856
Insane Embellisher

SU stating that we are an SU demo, representing their company 24/7 - hence they can limit what we say and do every minute of every day - really upsets me. I think they need to be paying me minimum wage for 168 hours a week. Next they will be telling me how to raise my children? since others will observe me, and it will reflect on SU's image?
Old 09-04-2009, 07:22 AM   #857
Insane Embellisher

where is the survey of reactions to SU's new policy? I would like to vote, but can't find it.

thanks
Old 09-04-2009, 07:24 AM   #858
Glitter Guru

Quote:

A lot of people have been asking about SCS doing galleries for other companies and I don't know their thoughts or plans on that, but I can tell you in that owning a PhotoPost site myself, setting this up is actually easy enough. Where the real work comes in would be maintaining it and then having to move every single PAST upload to the right category. I know there's volunteers here that spend their time looking at every single picture and then moving it to the right category if it's accidentally keyworded wrong or other issues, so that when you keyword something, it will come up. That's a lot of hard work and extremely time consuming. Now imagine doing this for the other 50+ stamp companies out there besides SU. SCS would need a lot more volunteers. There's just so much behind the scenes that must happen in order for this place to run as smoothly as it does and the majority don't recognize this. I only know because my little gallery has about 2000 pictures right now and that's a chore in and of itself, not to mention the posting software. I could go on but don't want to hijack the thread.

I don't see the need for them to do a revamp for every stamp company ~ but I would 'GREATLY' appreciate it if SCS would extent the same consideration of gallery excellence to their 'paying' member companies! I'd love to see all the cards by stamp set from Unity, GinaK, MFT, Flourishes, etc... As I said earlier ~ when I do a search (or even click on the gallery of each of them), I am limited by the past 6000 submissions. Yes, that is a lot ~ but I have a lot of 'older' sets/stamps lots of times those don't make the latest 6k... Of course, it could be that the Member Companies are interested anyway...
Old 09-04-2009, 07:25 AM   #859
Kookie Creator

Quote:
I understand about the overhead, etc., but it has to be spent wisely. Look at the auto industry and AIG, etc., lately where the gov't has had to bail them out because of CEO perks. SU is privately owned and so it's a different playing field, but again, I think that this is their way of reducing that overhead in demo perks with this new IDA. Competition is fierce but what they're doing is sending a lot of people to the competition. Customers are more loyal to their demos, not the company.
I completely agree with you.... a few pages back I posted and said that while I understand SU is doing what it feels is right, I think they're going about it in the wrong way and eventually it'll backfire. I feel bad for all involved, demos, bloggers and customers alike.

What I don't agree with is calling Shelli greedy when I think this is just a desperate attempt to save her company from the ever growing competition. Instead they should be focusing on changing with the times, going clear and unmounted, and other things that are dragging them down IMO.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:31 AM   #860
Glitter Guru

Quote:
I completely agree with you.... a few pages back I posted and said that while I understand SU is doing what it feels is right, I think they're going about it in the wrong way and eventually it'll backfire. I feel bad for all involved, demos, bloggers and customers alike.

What I don't agree with is calling Shelli greedy when I think this is just a desperate attempt to save her company from the ever growing competition. Instead they should be focusing on changing with the times, going clear and unmounted, and other things that are dragging them down IMO.
IMO ~ better more innovative must-have higher-quality environmentally friendly products would have been a more "GoodWill" attempt to 'save her company' ~ at least in the eyes of the consumers... again thou just my opinion...
Old 09-04-2009, 07:33 AM   #861

I wish the best for everybody in this situation.

Personally, I'd really like to see Bobby Ewing step out of that shower right now.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:34 AM   #862
Glitter Guru

There was a comment earlier regarding the SU Demo side of SCS ~ something to the effect that if that was dissolved then all the 'special groups' should be dissolved as well ~ but maybe SU demo shouldn't be the only ones who can have a 'special' group ~ let TAC & CTMH & even CM (since there is a growing love of scrapping) have their 'special' groups as well...
Old 09-04-2009, 07:35 AM   #863
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Personally, I'd really like to see Bobby Ewing step out of that shower right now.
Thanks for the chuckle this morning!!!
Old 09-04-2009, 07:36 AM   #864
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Instead they should be focusing on changing with the times, going clear and unmounted, and other things that are dragging them down IMO.
And, this is just one reason many demos only spend time in the demo forum. They are sick of every SU discussion leading to how they should go clear and/or unmounted.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:37 AM   #865
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGMommyof2 View Post
There was a comment earlier regarding the SU Demo side of SCS ~ something to the effect that if that was dissolved then all the 'special groups' should be dissolved as well ~ but maybe SU demo shouldn't be the only ones who can have a 'special' group ~ let TAC & CTMH & even CM (since there is a growing love of scrapping) have their 'special' groups as well...
I'd be perfectly fine with this. Though I consider it as much as a favor to the general forum as it is to SU demos. Do you really want this forum clogged up with every business question and thought that demos have about their business?
Old 09-04-2009, 07:38 AM   #866
Cardstock Collector

i became a member to post in this thread.
i am a su demo and will proudly stay one.

what most of you do not take into consideration is that su is demo based company. 75% of my customers rarely go online. almost my entire business is through home workshops. su is trying to increase the business generated by home workshops.

sure, many of you (online) don't want to go to a home workshop. you wnat to buy on line. that is fine. but my customers love the chance to get away from family for one night a month or so and stamp and talk and eat and share recipes and all the other fun stuff we do. from the customer's point of view, it isn't about money and about stamping 100%. it is about our fun together.

su is about money and it wants to make money the original way -- through home workshops. so it is encouraging its demos to get back to their roots. this is simply an alternative to internet shopping.

my advice for all su demos who are trying to make this a business is to get off the internt and get out their and book workshops the old fashioned way.''

we demos cannot compete on the internet. we offer very little to our customers by wy of internet. they know that they are paying at least 20% markup to their demos and for those of us demos with higher volumes, way more than that.

what my customers get is priceless! not only to they get classes from me, they make friends. these friendships last beyond my classes and workshops. these are neighbors within driving distance, not a screen presence.

i'm not criticising internet sales. it has its place, but su knows that it cannot compete successfully in that market, so it is asking its demos to go back to their roots.

if they lose some demos on design teams then tht is ok with me. if some hobby demos quit then those hobbydemos can to a workshop and make some friends!!

I dont' expect my customers to use and buy only su. I just do my thing and if they buy from me wonderful and if they don't then they have met me and who knows, I may end up having lunch with them or being in the same church, etc.

the internet is great, but real life is soo much better!
Old 09-04-2009, 07:39 AM   #867
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedubya View Post
I think SU could protect itself and not have to control what demos put in their private emails and blogs. Lots of companies allow their employees to have a private life in their off hours and those companies haven't tanked.

I used to be a demo, and I have to say this about the grand 20% discount. With tax (which many internet companies don't charge) and the 10% shipping fee (which many internet companies offer free or at a flat rate once a certain amount it reached), that 20% discount is almost entirely eaten up for most people. There are other incentives, but you have to be making pretty good sales for them to add up to much. The small producers (hobby demos) could probably save as much with a couple Michael's coupons, so they're not in it for the money. Because of that, I think SU may be rethinking having hobby demos since they aren't showing the same level of commitment as the demos who make SU more money. It's the hobby demos who tend to branch out to other companies (and maybe link to them or tell others about them) because hobby demos aren't striving for the SU brass ring. SU is trying to stop the branching out, so those who do it are the ones who are most affected by the new policy.

SU has awesome products and makes it easy to coordinate things. I like their products very much. I don't buy nearly as much now as when I was buying to stay in SU (and I bet that will be the case for lots of other hobby demos who leave), but I can still create terrific cards, scrapbook pages and crafts. SU is wonderful, but it's not the only game in town.

I don't think SU is the devil, but I honestly think they have gone way too far into their demos' private lives. It makes me kind of uncomfortable to think about buying from a company that feels the need to control its workers to such an extent. Maybe it's like another poster said and SU is just tossing stuff out there to see what the reaction is. I hope that's the case and SU eases up on the intrusion into their demos' private lives. I don't knock SU for making the earlier revisions. I don't knock them for listening to their demos and changing things. I think it's great SU came back and eased up on the linking problem and it'd be even greater if they'd acknowledge that they don't own their demos every hour of every day.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:41 AM   #868
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
And, this is just one reason many demos only spend time in the demo forum. They are sick of every SU discussion leading to how they should go clear and/or unmounted.
Why are they sick of it??? I don't think SU should go clear even though I buy a lot of stamps that way. But I am buying a lot less stamps, and at some point probably none from SU, because I feel I'm paying for a lot that I don't use -- blocks and cases. And the shipping charges are ridiculous and should be less without mailing all that wood around.

I'm sorry - I know I've said this really isn't a discussion about every thing that someone may think SU does wrong but maybe you just gave us the answer as to why they won't sell just the stamps to those who want them: the demos don't like it. Hmmm... maybe they shouldn't always listen so well to the demos and listen to customers/potential customers instead.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:43 AM   #869
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
I just want to address the accusation that the demo forums are full of posts about non-compliance of other demos. This is a flat out lie. I believe I said 30%, not 'full of.' It usually only comes up when one demos lack of compliance is hurting another demos business. Please. There are demos that search ebay every single day to find other demos in 'noncompliance.' Believe me you don't want the general forums junked up with a bunch of threads about running SU businesses.

I love the new IDA, and I'm not the only demo out there that happily signed the new IDA and sent it in.
Plese don't accuse me of lying. Thanks.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:43 AM   #870
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Well you're not in a demo forum right now and I am entitled to voice my opinion. I wasn't bashing SU, just stating something I thought would help them.

Quote:
Thank you for the laugh !!
Old 09-04-2009, 07:49 AM   #871
Glitter Queen

Quote:
I'd be perfectly fine with this. Though I consider it as much as a favor to the general forum as it is to SU demos. Do you really want this forum clogged up with every business question and thought that demos have about their business?
I think the demo forum is a great idea because you're right, we don't need a million threads over here with business questions and comments about the SU company.

I think if other companies want demo forums they should get SCS to open some for them. Even though I'm not a demo anywhere and wouldn't be able to go there, I agree with you that it's a great idea for demos to have a place for their business talk.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:50 AM   #872
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Well you're not in a demo forum right now and I am entitled to voice my opinion. I wasn't bashing SU, just stating something I thought would help them.

Ummm, maybe you didn't get my point. I know I'm in the general forum, but it gets very irritating that every single discussion about SU ends up talking about them going unmounted and/or clear. And, most of the time it is completely off topic. So, a lot of demos choose to stay in the demo forum for reasons like that (and to keep the general forum from being clogged up with SU business threads) not because we have any deep desire for a "special clubhouse". I wasn't saying you couldn't have an opinion, or that you were bashing SU.

Anyway, like most business decisions this will anger some demos and make others happy. I'm not worried about the long term longevity of SU. And, I for one am very happy that demos can not longer have the perks of being a demo, and at the same time promote, link, and sell for competing companies. Because, once they are on the internet they don't just hurt their own business but other demos' businesses are affected as well.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:54 AM   #873
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
If this is the case, wouldn't it stand to reason there are a lot of customers, demos (hobby or business) that may be wanting this? If people don't voice their opions of what they would like to see from a company, then how else would anyone know. If these demos are that concerned about how much this particular discussion goes on, maybe they should be relaying more to SU. There are so many reasons why customers would like to go this way - they don't take up as much room (space is a luxury to some), they are easier to see where you are stamping through the acrylic blocks, cost, and I am sure others can think of more reasons.

I think it is sad that demos and SU would rather go someplace where they may not hear/see this discussion than addressing it. Maybe there is a reason for staying with wood blocks. I personally think it wouldn't hurt business any if there were other options.

My Gallery
Old 09-04-2009, 07:54 AM   #874
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Why are they sick of it??? I don't think SU should go clear even though I buy a lot of stamps that way. But I am buying a lot less stamps, and at some point probably none from SU, because I feel I'm paying for a lot that I don't use -- blocks and cases. And the shipping charges are ridiculous and should be less without mailing all that wood around.

I'm sorry - I know I've said this really isn't a discussion about every thing that someone may think SU does wrong but maybe you just gave us the answer as to why they won't sell just the stamps to those who want them: the demos don't like it. Hmmm... maybe they shouldn't always listen so well to the demos and listen to customers/potential customers instead.

Great post!
Old 09-04-2009, 07:54 AM   #875
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Nope. Not me. But I think the wise folks at SCS would probably give them an open forum where they could discuss that -- certainly not in General Stamping. A separate forum. But leave it out there for anyone to access if they wished -- just like all the other forums.

But then -- isn't SU talking about creating a similar type "online community"?? I'm sure that all the demos will go there to chat things up.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:55 AM   #876
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Nope. Not me. But I think the wise folks at SCS would probably give them an open forum where they could discuss that -- certainly not in General Stamping. A separate forum. But leave it out there for anyone to access if they wished -- just like all the other forums.

But then -- isn't SU talking about creating a similar type "online community"?? I'm sure that all the demos will go there to chat things up.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:04 AM   #877
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapom View Post
If this is the case, wouldn't it stand to reason there are a lot of customers, demos (hobby or business) that may be wanting this? If people don't voice their opions of what they would like to see from a company, then how else would anyone know. If these demos are that concerned about how much this particular discussion goes on, maybe they should be relaying more to SU. There are so many reasons why customers would like to go this way - they don't take up as much room (space is a luxury to some), they are easier to see where you are stamping through the acrylic blocks, cost, and I am sure others can think of more reasons.

I think it is sad that demos and SU would rather go someplace where they may not hear/see this discussion than addressing it. Maybe there is a reason for staying with wood blocks. I personally think it wouldn't hurt business any if there were other options.
This post is great too. lol

I'm not a fan of acrylic (clear) stamps, but I really like using rubber with an acrylic block. If some SU demos are tired of hearing about it all the time, I agree with the weird cat hat poster that that means more and more people are using unmounted and clear stamps. Maybe SU should look into that and not just get peeved that they're tired of hearing the suggestion all the time?
Old 09-04-2009, 08:06 AM   #878
Insane Embellisher

WineWomen&Stamps--Why couldn't I come up with such a cool name? I love it!
Old 09-04-2009, 08:07 AM   #879
Die Cut Diva

I think most demos don't come to GS for the same reason I rarely do anymore, it seems like anytime there is something happening with SU a group of people use it as an excuse to bash the demos and the company. To be fair, the same thing happened when TAC changed their policy although to a lesser extent. These are businesses, they have to do what they can to survive and grow and yes, thrive.

We can't all have things exactly as we want them. Val, you talk about the demo forums being catty (which I disagree with) but you didn't mind availing yourself of the demo forums when you wanted to post about being cased without credit. Was that catty? I didn't think it was, I thought you had a legit issue with another demo and you dealt with it among demos. Now that you have no use for that forum anymore SCS should get rid of it?

As for SU slapping SCS, I think people are trying to bash SU under cloak of defending SCS. and whip people up into a frenzy over it. SU's decision had to do with their bottom line I'm sure and wasn't a "slap" at anyone. SCS DOES benefit from having those demo forums. I'm not very tech savvy but all of us visiting the demo side and the gallery increases traffic tremendously. That (I'm pretty sure, correct me if I'm wrong) helps in terms of ad fees and I'm sure traffic was looked at when the site was sold. What do you suppose the point of CE or the entertainment forums are? Traffic stays here instead of going off to a news site or a site for a t.v. show.

Was it a slap in the face to SU or to the demos who helped make this website what it is by visiting and sending customers when SCS added member companies and started posting ads? No, it was a business decision. Ask Daven if he got up one morning and said I'm going to lure people away from that evil SU and those demo(n)s today. TODAY I will start allowing ads on the site for other companies *insert evil laugh*

I'm sure it was more like: website bills gotta get paid, need dough, try ads

The bottom line is this, this affects demos. I don't know why customers have such an issue. This is a contract demos have with the company. Many companies have contract that regulate what employees or contractors can or can't do, even in off time. If you're losing your demo then I can see being upset but ultimately it's her choice.

I think you're working your SU business or your not. If you are then you're probably not promoting other companies and if you're not then why should you be entitled to work for a company without really working? If you're a hobby demo and you want the discount because this is fun, then nothing changes for you. You just do your thing and you're not promoting or selling for anyone either way. I mean, it might be nice to be helpful and let people know where you got something but if your intent is just to share ideas and post for your family or yourself then it doesn't matter that you can't say "go here to buy this awesome Sugar Nellie stamp" does it?
Old 09-04-2009, 08:07 AM   #880
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
A lot of people have been asking about SCS doing galleries for other companies and I don't know their thoughts or plans on that, but I can tell you in that owning a PhotoPost site myself, setting this up is actually easy enough.
Oh, yes! You're right, Cindy, but there's a BUT! However easy it is to create new gallery categories in PhotoPost (or as we lovingly refer to it, "BigelowPost"), it's *not* easy once you have thousands of gallery categories like we do. Things start getting funky and wonky the bigger that database gets. Scott's awesome at making things work, and hopefully we'll have a better gallery goin' on sometime soon. Of course, that's Splitcoast "soon", not Jenn soon, so we'll just have to hang in there and see what happens!