Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-03-2009, 06:29 PM   #761
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Valerie11 View Post
I am, for the time being, an active demo. I support shutting the demo forums down and making the community a whole. Should they want their own forum, then SU! needs to come to the plate with a Membership agreement with SCS. Now, we know that will never happen. By having a Member company forum, it will also cut down on the cattiness by demos in the demo only forums about what those on the "other side" are doing and that they would never post on the "other side" and all that. As it is now, they are protected in the forums because of the exclusivity, they are free to speak in whatever tone they want about customers.

SU! demonstrators need to remember that they do have their own private forum which may be found on the Demonstrator Website. Stampin' Discuss is for all things demonstrator related for SU!
Thank you, Val! I mentioned this on the demo side a day or two ago, and got flamed for it. Oh, and why aren't demos spending just as much time on their own Stampin' Discuss forums? Hmm, could it be because it stinks on ice? I've appreciated all of your comments, Val, and I'm in total agreement with you on this subject. I'm also letting my demonstratorship go, but I'm embracing the change now. It's a good thing.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-03-2009, 06:32 PM   #762
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evalou View Post
my oh my

Thanks for your feedback, you have just confirmed everything that I have been saying.

I also apologize that I came across as assuming that you were a "mere" crafter. I mean it just did not occur to me that a true "artist" would need so much more than I. But as I said, IF SU did not offer all that I needed, I would know what I could do about it, rather than complain about their rules.
I just replied to JanTink, if you care to see that. I did not mean to disrespect you. I was not calling you 'just a crafter', if you read my post again. I am saying that I like to use more than SUP offers. If you find that SUP reflects your style, that is awesome! I am being sincere about that! I wish they had stickles, nestibilities and other things of the sort, but since they don't I will use other things.

The rule that I have a problem with in the new IDA is that they don't want us to share our sources, I just think that is unfair to those people's products you are using, that's all. And I don't think they should govern control of what we do share on our blogs outside of SUP workshops and classes.

I have been a hobbyist for a few years and had been considering turning it into a business with some classes and clubs like two of my downline have done, but now that they came up with these amendments, I won't be able to. It is a shame, as I DO love SUP stuff! I REALLY LOVE their quality, I love their customer service and demo-support and of course their coordinating ability is 2nd to none! But, I can't see pushing my other DT's aside to only promote SUP when that is just not where my heart is ONLY.

MY APOLOGIES for coming off as cocky or arrogant, I am NOT like that at all, I should have proof read my post before submitting, as I agree after reading it again, it sounds bad. I should have rephrased some things on it to make my points clear without sounding like that. Hope I cleared some things up and you can see that I am not a bad person.

Blessings, Nicole
Old 09-03-2009, 06:32 PM   #763
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMarsh5 View Post
SU's biggest mistake is not sticking to their primary products.. they branched out into home decor, now build-a-bear (which is an insult and hideous in my opinion) and then jewelry... Stick with the original business model and make it SOOO damn good that everyone has to have it. Has anyone gotten a huge box from SU with five items inside that could have been shipped in a smaller package? What a waste... They need to work on some efficiencies and process improvement.. i.e. clean up their own house at Riverton first. They are the ones that need some fresh air in their design teams... then there's no way they would have to worry about competition.

Just a long time SU! customer and a long time SCS lurker.
ITA with the above statements.
What I love about SU! is the cardstock, inks, ribbons, buttons - I like my color to match. I do like the stamps but feel less and less drawn to the stamps. In the past few years the catalogs are showcasing cards I would never make and now they don't even include the details for the projects. That was what made the catalog an idea book! I used to point beginners to SU and the 'idea book" but can no longer do that.
I still love SU cardstock, ink, ribbons, buttons BUT I wish they would pull away from jewelry (really?) and other such foolishness and focus on keeping the main products fresh and something I can't wait to get to.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:32 PM   #764
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondz View Post
As a non demo, simply a fan down here down under, I just wanted to pop in what I understood from all this. SU doesn't have a problem with their demos having blogs. As far as I can see they dont have a problem with their demos using other products either. As long as they aren't selling them, or putting links into their blogs for where people can buy them. Which most of them dont anyway. I have stacks of demos blogs in my favourites, and on the majority, most of them only have SU products in them anyway.

CM has for years stated that their demos are not allowed to use any other products in the albums being shown in their parties. I've never seen a CM blog either come to think of it. SU is simply doing something similar. Your work is an advertisement for their products.

I wonder if the same agreement is down here in Oz.
I spoke to my demo last night about this, and this agreement has not come to Australia yet, but she expects that it probably will.
My Blog - Inspired to Stamp
Old 09-03-2009, 06:34 PM   #765
Stampin' Fool

When I was brand new to SCS and a new SU demo I found it very odd that Su demos would be allowed to be DT members for competitors. I was really surprised by this. Not taking sides, just saying what I thought about it at the time.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-03-2009, 06:35 PM   #766
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryrose View Post
Thank you, Val! I mentioned this on the demo side a day or two ago, and got flamed for it. Oh, and why aren't demos spending just as much time on their own Stampin' Discuss forums? Hmm, could it be because it stinks on ice? I've appreciated all of your comments, Val, and I'm in total agreement with you on this subject. I'm also letting my demonstratorship go, but I'm embracing the change now. It's a good thing.
LOL! You crack me up! It definitely stinks on ice! I refuse to listen or comment on the demo side anymore. SU has done too little too late as far as their marketing and keeping up with trends but this is not the way to play catch up. They have totally shot themselves in the foot. I really don't see any other choice but to drop.

I design for Heartfelt Creations,
The Stamps Of Life
Old 09-03-2009, 06:38 PM   #767
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampwithjoanne View Post
I'm not a demo.

How will they "enforce" this new policy? How will they police it?????

Seems hard to do. Will they take away your children if they catch you blogging re: some great deal at Michael's? Will you get a foreclosure note in the mail on your house???

Seems odd to have a policy that you can't possibly police.
Word on the street is that SU doesn't need anyone to 'police' blogs because other SU demos rat each other out... isn't that a nice thing to hear? Who in their right mind would want to work with people like that? This is a case of women hurting women instead of women helping women... (99% of demos are women).. pretty sad, don't you think? Women wonder why they make 85% of what men make in the outside world... well, it's because of this kind of mentality. It's a bunch of cut-throats out for themselves... and they brought it up to SU - apparently at Founder's meeting.. and that's where the comments about 'knee-jerk' reactions evolved.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:41 PM   #768
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by lezzels View Post
SCS was started for a SU demo and her downlines .....
Yes, but is that still true?
It's now a business, owned by a corporation.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:41 PM   #769
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:
Word on the street is that SU doesn't need anyone to 'police' blogs because other SU demos rat each other out... isn't that a nice thing to hear? Who in their right mind would want to work with people like that? This is a case of women hurting women instead of women helping women... (99% of demos are women).. pretty sad, don't you think? Women wonder why they make 85% of what men make in the outside world... well, it's because of this kind of mentality. It's a bunch of cut-throats out for themselves... and they brought it up to SU - apparently at Founder's meeting.. and that's where the comments about 'knee-jerk' reactions evolved.
Umm....most of the demos I know have never "ratted" anyone out.

As with any large group of people, you are going to get a mix of personalities and not all of them are that pretty. I defy you to find any organization of people who all get along perfectly, who all are gracious, kind, thoughtful, and sweet. They don't exist.

Yes, there will be those who act in the way you say. But I highly resent being lumped into a "bunch of cut-throats" out for themselves.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Old 09-03-2009, 06:42 PM   #770
Cardstock Collector

Default Pol not the end all

[QUOTE=Evalou;15034057]

Has no effect on me and I'll stay a demo 340 65.76%
I'll change my online activities and stay a demo. 60 11.61%
I'll drop DT work, change my online activities, and stay a demo 6 1.16%
I will no longer stay a demo 80 15.47%
I will no longer stay a demo or a customer 31 6.00%

I think the percentages pretty much show what the majority of demos feel about this new ruling.
I have a feeling that the person who started this survey thought the results were going to be a little different than what they are. [QUOTE=Evalou;15034057]

This is ONE non-objective POLL from SU. You have no idea how most people feel and neither do SU. Who signs an agreement just because SU tells you to.

This affects more that just hobby Demo's on Design teams. This affects anyone with a REAL crafting blog that loves to use whatever Scrappin supplies that want. SU is trying to control things that don't even have the BEST in. They have good Rubber Stamps so advertising other stamp companies is understandable. BUT to tell I can't link to or talk about Digital Kits, Basic Grey Paper, Border Punchies, Scrapbook Supplies, etc just because SU sells them. WHATEVER! They don't control me so I will be leaving them as a DEMO.

SU want a monoploy on tooo many items that I use to inspire my creativity. To want control on the Stampin market of us Demo's is one thing but to want to control my Scrappin too... WHATEVER. I use SU for Cards and that's it. I guess they won't be getting my $1200.00 minimums anymore. Unless they learn to play nice.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:44 PM   #771
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanTInk View Post

As with any large group of people, you are going to get a mix of personalities and not all of them are that pretty. I defy you to find any organization of people who all get along perfectly, who all are gracious, kind, thoughtful, and sweet. They don't exist.

Yes, there will be those who act in the way you say. But I highly resent being lumped into a "bunch of cut-throats" out for themselves.
I will be in trouble if they are reading but I know 2 who would in a heartbeat. And, they have.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:45 PM   #772
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

[quote=Kyandy;15048304][quote=Evalou;15034057]

I think the percentages pretty much show what the majority of demos feel about this new ruling.
I have a feeling that the person who started this survey thought the results were going to be a little different than what they are.
Quote:

This is ONE non-objective POLL from SU. You have no idea how most people feel and neither do SU. Who signs an agreement just because SU tells you to.

This affects more that just hobby Demo's on Design teams. This affects anyone with a REAL crafting blog that loves to use whatever Scrappin supplies that want. SU is trying to control things that don't even have the BEST in. They have good Rubber Stamps so advertising other stamp companies is understandable. BUT to tell I can't link to or talk about Digital Kits, Basic Grey Paper, Border Punchies, Scrapbook Supplies, etc just because SU sells them. WHATEVER! They don't control me so I will be leaving them as a DEMO.

SU want a monoploy on tooo many items that I use to inspire my creativity. To want control on the Stampin market of us Demo's is one thing but to want to control my Scrappin too... WHATEVER. I use SU for Cards and that's it. I guess they won't be getting my $1200.00 minimums anymore. Unless they learn to play nice.
If that ebay scrapbooking store in your signature line is yours, you are already in violation of your demo agreement, so leaving now is probably in your best interest.

But don't worry...I won't rat you out.

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Old 09-03-2009, 06:45 PM   #773
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

I didn't mean to sound as if all were 'lumped' into the group.. good for you for having a high work ethic.. but unfortunately, the word on the street is as I described. People have to work at managing the 'perception'.. whether it's right or wrong...
Old 09-03-2009, 06:45 PM   #774
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53queenbee View Post
I will be in trouble if they are reading but I know 2 who would in a heartbeat. And, they have.
I know they are out there too. But we are not all like that.

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Old 09-03-2009, 06:46 PM   #775
Stazon Splitcoast

[QUOTE=Kyandy;15048304][QUOTE=Evalou;15034057]

I have a feeling that the person who started this survey thought the results were going to be a little different than what they are.
Quote:

You also have to keep in mind that this was started in the demo forum where there are die hard use only SU demos, and lots of them! I am not really surprised by these results, but in the real world, I think SU will be shocked at how many demos drop. This poll is very lopsided because it was taken by mostly women who only use SU supplies so it will not effect them at all.

I design for Heartfelt Creations,
The Stamps Of Life
Old 09-03-2009, 06:49 PM   #776
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyandy View Post

I think they intended it to affect those demos who are actually selling competitive product, though. Don't you think?
Old 09-03-2009, 06:50 PM   #777
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Skype™ to lezzels

Quote:
you put it so nicely .... but in other words they cant keep their big mouths shut ........ lessons to be learned there
Old 09-03-2009, 06:50 PM   #778
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by steubner View Post
I think they intended it to affect those demos who are actually selling competitive product, though. Don't you think?
I think they won't mind at all
Old 09-03-2009, 06:51 PM   #779
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Nickel View Post
Evalou, With ALL DUE RESPECT, Maybe SUP is offering YOU enough for your style of creativity and crafting. I, however, have never considered myself a crafter. I am an artist with various awards ranging to national ones in fields other than paper. 'Crafting' is different from 'artistry'.

YES, WHEN I am given a selection of items and told to use them, I make the MOST of them with my talent and supplies. However, I am not one to keep my talent within certain 'boundaries or limits' on my own time. I always aim to keep growing and pushing my ability to become better and more versed at what I do. Doing this with one companies supplies is not enough for me. That is my personal opinion. You may disagree, that is fine. I am not wanting to sway anyone. I am stating my .02.

I do also realize that SUP is not trying to keep us from using other companies stuff. I am well aware that we are just supposed to not advertise for other companies.

As an artist, I do however have a problem with not giving credit where credit is due. Whether it is that I picked up the wooden block at a 'big box retail store' or got the idea from a gal on SCS. I feel that when we use others products or services (like others' ideas) to surface our own new creation, even if it is just a card, it IS necessary to give credit to the appropriate source. Doing so shows respect and appreciation. I am sure WALMART doesn't really care if I appreciate them for selling wooden letters that I have decided to alter/paper and embellish up, but I feel I shouldn't try to hide the fact either.

If someone purchases jewelry supplies from me to make their own item (I have a jewelry line of my own so I always have an inventory of findings) and they decide to post their final bracelet piece on their blog, I would appreciate them noting me in their suppliers list. It is a respectable thing to do.

Again, these are my personal feelings. If SUP offers you enough, that is wonderful, but as an artist, what they offer does not reflect my art style as a whole and again, I feel it is inappropriate to not give credit where credit is due. YES, I know you can eventually tell someone in a personal email, if they ask, where you purchased "this or that"; but honestly, I don't enjoy going to my email time and time again answering the same question about said item, I would rather just edit my blog post to reflect the source of the item keeping me from wasting time and energy that could be spent on setting up workshops or working on club projects. Ya follow?

I appreciate your comments, Blessings, Nicole
If one cases another card, and doesn't change anything or even minorly changing it, and doesn't give credit where credit is due, wouldn't that be a form of plagiarism?

My Gallery
Old 09-03-2009, 06:52 PM   #780
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:
I didn't mean to sound as if all were 'lumped' into the group.. good for you for having a high work ethic.. but unfortunately, the word on the street is as I described. People have to work at managing the 'perception'.. whether it's right or wrong...
As you can probably tell, LOL, I am working at it right now.

I don't hang around here a lot anymore, not because I don't like this place, but mostly because I am doing other things. But I really hate to see this "Us vs. Them" thing that develops from time to time between SU! demos and the rest of the folks on this site.

There are some on this site and always have been, who really hate everything about SU! They may have their reasons, I don't know. But whenever anything like this comes along, these folks come out of the woodwork and the long knives come out. A lot of SU! demos have stopped posting in this forum as a result. They don't want to have to deal with it.

I would love to see more demos participating here. That's the only way people here will see that we are not a bunch of cult-members worshiping Shelli (may she live forever! ...oops! LOL!) and out to fleece customers out of their hard earned money. Almost all of us just want to enjoy our hobby and enjoy being a demo for a great company.

I demo because it's the only way I can support a very fat and bloated papercrafting hobby. I also happen to love what I do. But I do need to sell stamps in order to pay for my own. That's where most of us are. I wish I had a second income that would pay for it, but I probably would stay a demo anyway. Just because the friendships I've made and the personal growth I have experienced doing this has been one of the best things that has ever happened to me.

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Old 09-03-2009, 06:53 PM   #781
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
I think they won't mind at all
Thanks for the chuckle, Nancy.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:53 PM   #782
Polyshrink Goddess

Geez. Just a pseudonym and a new blog. Problem solved.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:55 PM   #783
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
As you can probably tell, LOL, I am working at it right now.

I don't hang around here a lot anymore, not because I don't like this place, but mostly because I am doing other things. But I really hate to see this "Us vs. Them" thing that develops from time to time between SU! demos and the rest of the folks on this site.

There are some on this site and always have been, who really hate everything about SU! They may have there reasons, I don't know. But whenever anything like this comes along, these folks come out of the woodwork and the long knives come out. A lot of SU! demos have stopped posting in this forum as a result. They don't want to have to deal with it.

I would love to see more demos participating here. That's the only way people here will see that we are not a bunch of cult-members worshiping Shelli (may she live forever! ...oops! LOL!) and out to fleece customers out of their hard earned money. Almost all of us just want to enjoy our hobby and enjoy being a demo for a great company.

I demo because it's the only way I can support a very fat and bloated papercrafting hobby. I also happen to love what I do. But I do need to sell stamps in order to pay for my own. That's where most of us are. I wish I had a second income that would pay for it, but I probably would stay a demo anyway. Just because the friendships I've made and the personal growth I have experienced doing this has been one of the best things that has ever happened to me.
We're so glad you came down off your throne to speak to us, oh great JanTink! Where's that darn bowing smiley when I need it...

I am totally kidding by the way. I love Jan.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:58 PM   #784
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:
We're so glad you came down off your throne to speak to us, oh great JanTink! Where's that darn bowing smiley when I need it...

Love ya back, Shannan!

Oh, geez...I just had a public conversation with a person who works with OTHER RUBBAH...and the SU police are not here to flog me with rubber trimmings! Maybe they really AREN'T going to set up that gulag after all! LOL!

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Old 09-03-2009, 06:59 PM   #785
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsjllove View Post
Geez. Just a pseudonym and a new blog. Problem solved.
LOL!

I imagine some people will do just that.

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Old 09-03-2009, 07:00 PM   #786
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Skype™ to lezzels

I have come to the conclusion I need to get SCS out my hair not my craft Im thinking ....
Old 09-03-2009, 07:01 PM   #787
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapom View Post
If one cases another card, and doesn't change anything or even minorly changing it, and doesn't give credit where credit is due, wouldn't that be a form of plagiarism?
There is nothing that says we can't give credit when we CASE a card. If I copy a card by Nichole Heady or Gina K, then, by golly, I sure can say I copied it from them! What I can't do is lead my customers by the had to their respective stores by linking to them. I'm pretty sure that, as savvy business women, they don't link to other stores that offer competitive product, either.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:03 PM   #788
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Love ya back, Shannan!

Oh, geez...I just had a public conversation with a person who works with OTHER RUBBAH...and the SU police are not here to flog me with rubber trimmings! Maybe they really AREN'T going to set up that gulag after all! LOL!
What was it you said? The stretcher puller thingy? I can't remember. But it made me cackle earlier.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:06 PM   #789
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by belindaking View Post
There is nothing that says we can't give credit when we CASE a card. If I copy a card by Nichole Heady or Gina K, then, by golly, I sure can say I copied it from them! What I can't do is lead my customers by the had to their respective stores by linking to them. I'm pretty sure that, as savvy business women, they don't link to other stores that offer competitive product, either.
I don't believe this is the case.. Shelli said last night on the call that you can't say you got an item from Michael's, for example.. you have to say 'local craft store' or big box store' or something similar.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:06 PM   #790
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:
What was it you said? The stretcher puller thingy? I can't remember. But it made me cackle earlier.
I think you mean the rack? LOL!

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Old 09-03-2009, 07:07 PM   #791
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

WHO????
Old 09-03-2009, 07:08 PM   #792
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Nickel View Post
I just replied to JanTink, if you care to see that. I did not mean to disrespect you. I was not calling you 'just a crafter', if you read my post again. I am saying that I like to use more than SUP offers. If you find that SUP reflects your style, that is awesome! I am being sincere about that! I wish they had stickles, nestibilities and other things of the sort, but since they don't I will use other things.

The rule that I have a problem with in the new IDA is that they don't want us to share our sources, I just think that is unfair to those people's products you are using, that's all. And I don't think they should govern control of what we do share on our blogs outside of SUP workshops and classes.

I have been a hobbyist for a few years and had been considering turning it into a business with some classes and clubs like two of my downline have done, but now that they came up with these amendments, I won't be able to. It is a shame, as I DO love SUP stuff! I REALLY LOVE their quality, I love their customer service and demo-support and of course their coordinating ability is 2nd to none! But, I can't see pushing my other DT's aside to only promote SUP when that is just not where my heart is ONLY.

MY APOLOGIES for coming off as cocky or arrogant, I am NOT like that at all, I should have proof read my post before submitting, as I agree after reading it again, it sounds bad. I should have rephrased some things on it to make my points clear without sounding like that. Hope I cleared some things up and you can see that I am not a bad person.

Blessings, Nicole
FWIW Nicole, I think people's emotions are raw or something. I read the same thing the others have read in your previous post, and what I got from it was that you love Stampin' Up, but you love other products as well. You don't want one company limiting your choices. They're your choices to make. And I wholeheartedly agree with everything you have said-in all of your posts. It doesn't make you a "snob" because you like options. It's up to you to decide what you feel like working on at any given moment, and what you're working with.

By the way.. I just checked out your blog. LOVE it. I plan to visit often!
Old 09-03-2009, 07:14 PM   #793
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by belindaking View Post
Belinda, I'm glad to see you. I keep seeing a comment that you cannot credit someone who inspires a card. Jeesh. I did not read this anywhere and the comments make no sense to me. Thanks for setting that straight (well, until someone twists it all around anyway).

Jan, I had a different impression of you (and will not reveal my sources )... I'm pleased to see you in a new light and can understand how you have earned the respect of your peers. Thanks for joining in .
Old 09-03-2009, 07:20 PM   #794
Kookie Creator

I dont seem to be getting any response to...doesnt anyone think it's a bit contradictory that we can link to SCS which sells it all (practically) but not link to anything else that sells non-SU...I am still not happy with Shelli's statement that we are a SU demo 24/7 - I'm a hobby demo! I have a personal life....and all these examples people are citing about their work and not being allowed to represent competition is correct! the operative word is "Work"....not their personal time! I've never heard of an employer (unless you were CIA) that governed your personal internet communications outside of the work environment!....so we can link to SCS -obviously that would have really enraged everyone if we couldn't !!! doesn't seem fair....I'm sure I'll get blasted...but what am I missing here? SCS sells non-SU products!
"Do all things without murmuring and disputing" Phil 2:14 (my every day challenge)
Color Me Creative Design Team Member
Payne Holler Cards - my blog
DT CSS Alumni for Gina K's Stamp TV
DT Alumni for Heartfelt Creations
Old 09-03-2009, 07:22 PM   #795
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobizie linda View Post
I dont seem to be getting any response to...doesnt anyone think it's a bit contradictory that we can link to SCS which sells it all (practically) but not link to anything else that sells non-SU...I am still not happy with Shelli's statement that we are a SU demo 24/7 - I'm a hobby demo! I have a personal life....and all these examples people are citing about their work and not being allowed to represent competition is correct! the operative word is "Work"....not their personal time! I've never heard of an employer (unless you were CIA) that governed your personal internet communications outside of the work environment!....so we can link to SCS -obviously that would have really enraged everyone if we couldn't !!! doesn't seem fair....I'm sure I'll get blasted...but what am I missing here? SCS sells non-SU products!
I haven't checked the ad on the left lately but I believe SCS sells T-shirts and drinking cups.

ETA: Okay.. that sounded snarky and I should be asleep. But, you know what I meant, right? SCS has ads but doesn't sell . . . it is not a retail venue per se. Not a trivial distinction.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:25 PM   #796
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:
No, they don't sell it. They advertise it. If there was a ""Buy Now" button in the member company forums, we couldn't link here. There isn't.

I am thinking there will be revisions to the policy regarding emails. There would be no way of them to enforce it, for one thing.

What I believe they meant was that when you are emailing your customers, you are supposed to keep it SU! only. Not your personal communications with your friends and relatives.

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Old 09-03-2009, 07:28 PM   #797
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Then you would be an employee and not an independent contractor...thus she would need to pay taxes and such on each of you. I think. In fact, I am pretty sure because that is what my hubby is and we pay our own taxes as an independent contractor.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:30 PM   #798
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Hi Linda... my basic concern is that the agreement is written so broadly that you can drive a truck through it.. it's an insult to image that we will just 'sign it'... I don't think enough people are concerned, just like you stated, (and I'll paraphrase) that our basic privacy rights are being violated.

Also we cannot or promote through emails... now they have authority over our emails??? Does that mean I can't send you a 40% off coupon at Michael's?? Yes, according to the fact that we aren't allowed to promote other places that compete.

I am concerned about the scope of authority they believe they have.. we are independent consultants... not employees. The more they attempt to control us, especially in areas of 'social media'... the more they sound like employers... the tables turn dramatically in stances of employee-employer for the purposes of social security contributions, for example.

I thought Shelli said that the Q&A and the agreement would be revised based on her webinar last night.. I haven't seen any revisions... has anyone else?
Old 09-03-2009, 07:31 PM   #799
Polyshrink Goddess

I very rarely comment here, but love SCS for the friends I have made and the talent that is displayed. However, I am saddened by the generalities some of the comments make about behaviors of demonstrators. I am a demonstrator, I love being a demonstrator, and I have never, not once, in all the time of being a demonstrator, done something nasty or "cutthroat" to a fellow demonstrator. I have to say, I resent the implication that we are all that way. Yes, there are probably a few as there are in any large group demographic - I hazard to guess most of the crafting companies represented here have them, but please do not slam all demos because of this. When you get right down to this, it is a personal choice for the demonstrator on whether they want to comply with the new IDA - nobody is making anyone do anything. Make the decison for yourself, but leave all the negativity out of it....it tends to muddy the waters and many of the actual facts get lost in the murkiness. I am a demo, I will be staying a demo because it is a choice I am making. It saddens me to think that folks here think that demos should be removed from the SCS site - why? I come here for inspiration, to see the challenges, to chat with my friends, and to see what's new.....I don't think that changes just because of the new SU! rules. I for one would miss coming here.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:31 PM   #800
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikiBee View Post
FWIW Nicole, I think people's emotions are raw or something. I read the same thing the others have read in your previous post, and what I got from it was that you love Stampin' Up, but you love other products as well. You don't want one company limiting your choices. They're your choices to make. And I wholeheartedly agree with everything you have said-in all of your posts. It doesn't make you a "snob" because you like options. It's up to you to decide what you feel like working on at any given moment, and what you're working with.

By the way.. I just checked out your blog. LOVE it. I plan to visit often!
SINCEREST APPRECIATION, MICHELLE! This is exactly how I feel! I am so glad at least one person can see that this is what I meant, I was really beginning to worry! Thanks for the compliment, too! I look forward to seeing your blog, too! I will check ya out! Again, many thanks, Nicole