Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-01-2009, 11:29 AM   #41
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by akstampmama View Post
Nope I am serious. This seems to be another thread to stir up controversy about SU. The policy affects demonstrators and the customers of those demos who may choose to drop because of it. Unless you are a customer who has first hand knowledge that your demo is quitting I think you are getting upset for nothing. If you are a demonstrator or were thinking of becoming one then you will need to evaluate the policy and see if you can live with it or not.
I am not in the least interested in stirring up controversy and I'm not upset. I am interested in what people think and I appreciate SCS as a forum in which to discuss our opinions. I think everyone's opinions matter. I have found true wisdom here.

(ETA: Case in point, the previous post. Thank you mothermars for your articulate insight and point of view.)

Also, there are potential demos here who may be interested in an open discussion about SU policies.

Last edited by Phantom; 09-01-2009 at 11:33 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-01-2009, 11:34 AM   #42
Glitter Guru

Wow. SU seems to be following the national trend - if there's a problem restrict personal freedom and over regulate it to death. Instead, why not step up creativity, address pricing and products if necessary and really compete with the other companies they feel are a threat and give demos freedom to develop their own business as they see fit? There are demos (probably mostly hobby demos) that have other goals than just making the big bucks. I have to question whether SU no longer wants to support those kinds of a demos. This restricting of personal online activities is shocking to me.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:39 AM   #43
Pearl-ExPert

Very sad for SCS and SU! I found this website years ago through internet search. Told my friends and it has been a constant source of inspiration - not only for creativity and learning, but seeing how SU sets are used encourages myself and those I know to buy those sets that they hadn't considered before. If demos don't send their customers here for that kind of inspiration, it's a loss.

I know there are purists who only use SU products, but I think they are in the minority by far. In this economy, if someone can get the same product for less, they will (i.e., the Crop-a-dile can be bought for considerably less than the catlog price - think coupons, sales at craft stores). If they truly like SU, then the money saved allows them to spend money on other SU things that are exclusive. Also, using products not available thru SU usually involves mixing those in with SU product.

I do see their point from a business point of view, but from a practical perspective I think it is wrong.

There are demos here on SCS that are known to have sites that sell other products. (At least their SCS info says they are part of the SU Demos group.) Will SU be checking up on them? Will be interesting to see how far they police their policy, doesn't seem they've enforced it strongly in the past.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:45 AM   #44
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx stamper View Post
I am really sad about this and shocked like everyone else.
I am a "hobby" demo. It seems to me all the hobby demos will gladly find somewhere else to get their supplies in order to not be told what they can/cannot post or link on their PERSONAL blogs.

Seems to me SU will be losing A LOT of business by doing this.... I dont see how it protects the SU demoships at all! If SU goes down because of this, so will all their SU demos that they are trying to "protect" with this change of policy, wouldn't it? Just a thought!
I agree, Laurie, I have been a HOBBYIST DEMO for years, and in my opinion, I don't see why they should care what I put on my blog of other companies when I don't have ONE customer at all! I will kindly step down, not give them my minimums every quarter (which were WAY more than MINIMUMS EVERY MONTH!), just purchase what I just 'have to have' from a BFF at a discount which everyone STILL DOES even though you aren't supposed to. AND in all actuality I probably won't spend thousands on SUP! product, I will purchase less because I am not required to do so.

I am on three design teams ONLINE and am a guest designer this month for another. I could have been okay for the most part with one team being a sketch blog, another being a digi-stamp blog and the guest team being for a clear-stamps company, but being on a design team for a scrapbook store in TN shouldn't affect me either when I live in INDIANA!

AND what do they care? I mean, HELLO I AM A HOBBYIST DEMO! And because I am minimally affiliated with SUP (I don't even have it on my blog that I sell it!) I still can't do these things, share my love for art and passion for paper because of their paranoid tendencies?

AND BY THE WAY, do they not realize that by my promoting on design teams, that I could possibly bring new interest to my blog? That maybe new people could find me and like my style and follow me and figure out that they LOVE SUP! by seeing SUP products that I used with Basic Grey or My Mind's Eye paperline? BIG BROTHER INDEED!
Old 09-01-2009, 11:47 AM   #45
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

WOW!!!!!!

First The Angel Company came up with a New policy for it's Demo's. and now Stampin up! has a New one too.

What's the world coming too?
Old 09-01-2009, 11:49 AM   #46
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Nope I am serious. This seems to be another thread to stir up controversy about SU. The policy affects demonstrators and the customers of those demos who may choose to drop because of it. Unless you are a customer who has first hand knowledge that your demo is quitting I think you are getting upset for nothing. If you are a demonstrator or were thinking of becoming one then you will need to evaluate the policy and see if you can live with it or not.
And why SHOULDN'T we be allowed to criticize SU? There are plenty of other threads, criticizing some company or situation or another; why not SU?
As a customer, I think it IS important to be aware of a company's policies (not just SU)...if they are mistreating animals, the environment, or their employees, for example, I would choose to shop elsewhere. This may not be quite that extreme but it is well within the customer's rights to know about.

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right”--Lincoln
Old 09-01-2009, 11:49 AM   #47
Embossing Fanatic

Exactly. Instead of doing it better than the other guy, they are adding restrictions to demonstrators' creative business avenues. I have never understood why SU has not upgraded the home website to have a gallery as good as splitcoast. My upline used to tell new customers worried about coming up with ideas to become a demonstrator to have access to the demonstrator idea gallery. Yeah, and see what, maybe three cards using a specific stamp set, as opposed to five hundred on SCS? Really? Don't take demonstrators away from SCS; do it better than SCS. Don't say I can't purchase monoadhesive from someone else; make monoadhesive available at a better price.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #48
Stazon Splitcoast

Default new SU 'regulation

I hope this does not sound selfish.......they would not remove any of the gallery posts with samples would they??? Some are posted by Non-demo's like me.......

Good grief- what about all of the challenges on blogs?

Shelly
Old 09-01-2009, 11:56 AM   #49
Mad Swapper

I have seen much about this on facebook and two friends' blog and comments left there!

KUDOS to Keri Lee Serieka who said it is like this: This is like IF you worked at the Gap and on your days off you could only wear jeans by Gap; and I add to this: OR IF you did wear other jeans not made by Gap, you can't tell anyone what you are wearing even if they ask!?!

So, I figured out my downline-friends who sell SUP can't keep a link to my blog on theirs because I design for a scrapbook store two STATES away?? I don't even step FOOT in my LSS because I get so much for free from my design team in TN! {Insert rolling eyes here.}
Old 09-01-2009, 11:59 AM   #50
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcschmidty View Post
I hope this does not sound selfish.......they would not remove any of the gallery posts with samples would they??? Some are posted by Non-demo's like me.......

Shelly
No. I can't believe they could remove gallery photos here or would even want to.

They mention that they don't even expect this retroactively on people's blogs ~ they just suggest that if a blogger is going to repeatedly reference a past post with non-SU information that it be altered to be compliant.

I don't know much about challenges on blogs. My guess would be an SU demo could only have challenges that were SUO posted on their blog . . . maybe someone else knows.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:02 PM   #51
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcschmidty View Post

Shelly
Shelly, please allow me to clarify for ya!

IF you are a non-demo this does not affect you.

This is relating to DEMO'S ONLY.

Demonstrators are not to post their creations on sites where other stamp companies are promoted.

ANYTHING PREVIOUSLY POSTED TO TODAY'S DATE is NOT AFFECTED. NOTHING NEEDS TO BE REMOVED. Demonstrators are to basically have to follow the new guidelines as soon as they electronically sign the agreement.

Non-Demo's are NOT affected unless their demonstrator that they purchase from decide to drop out and resign from SUP, and then they need to find a new demo to purchase through.

Hope that clears things up for ya! HUGS!
Old 09-01-2009, 12:02 PM   #52
Glitter Queen

Quote:
I just read the hoopla and I'm not surprised. As a small rubber stamp company owner, who wouldn't want to stop people from competing with you. That is just business. The more competition, the more choice, the less dollars that make it into that company's pockets...plain and simple.

I get what they are doing and I totally understand. Thankfully I won't be affected by it design team wise for at least the next 6 months because I have a contract in place. But I know of a lot of smaller companies that don't.

Business is business. And a hobby is a hobby. And when you start a hobby and you get that good to turn it into a business that is when it jumps from being relaxing and enjoyable to stressful and a job. And when that happens, more and more people STOP doing that hobby and we lose talented people.

Same with selling a product you believe in. The more rules, the harder it makes it to promote. The more you feel and think to yourself, why am I bothering to do this and you move on.

I really hope they loosen up the strictness some. I get what they are trying to do, but the execution of it will hurt them in the long run I think.

Rock meet hard place.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:02 PM   #53
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

First of all, I personally don't think this should be being discussed on the general side, it's a demo issue...flame me for it if you want, whatever...

Second, it doesn't really surprise me, SU! is a business and it's goal is to make money. What business would be ok with employees promoting competing merchandise, etc. I work at a hospital, there are two in town...I can't go to work wearing a t-shirt with the other hospitals logo on it. I know it's not the SAME thing exactly but you get the gist. While it does kind of suck, it's not the worst thing ever, people will cope and adjust.

Finally I don't see what all the doom and gloom about SCS coming to an end is. From what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) we can still post our cards here, we just can't link them to our blog or send people here from our blog (or FB or whatever it may be). And speaking of my blog, I have NO idea why I or anyone else would ever promote non-SU projects anyway...I want people to BUY IT ALL from me Personally I use only SU products anyway, it's just easier for me to match everything together and I don't waste money on stuff that I'm not sure what to do with or what to match it with.

So flame me for my comments if you want...I can take it. I'm sticking with SU!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Old 09-01-2009, 12:06 PM   #54
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minders View Post
First of all, I personally don't think this should be being discussed on the general side, it's a demo issue...flame me for it if you want, whatever...

You won't get any flames from me. I agree wholeheartedly with your statement that I quoted. IMO this discussion belongs on the demo-only side.

I am glad to see, IMO, that this thread has remained civil thus far.

My little corner of the internet: Robin's Ramblings
My passion - rescuing senior dogs! The Mr Mo Project
Old 09-01-2009, 12:07 PM   #55
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
This is totally untrue. Did you read the agreement FAQ on the orginal post? Demonstrators can promote their businesses on websites like facebook and blogs. It says they can't promote other products or businesses on the internet. As far as SCS goes it may mean demos need to remove the SU demonstrator links from their signatures if they are going to post other companies products and they probably can't link their blog to SCS. If you are selling SU I don't think you would want to send your customers to look at competing products anyway.
I reread the post. In an answer regarding participating in an online forum (such as SCS), SU warns that if that website promotes competing companies, the demonstrator would be violating her contract if she were to participate. SCS promotes competing companies. That means demonstrators who participate here, even if they use SU-only products, will be in violation of their contract.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:07 PM   #56

Quote:

Second, it doesn't really surprise me, SU! is a business and it's goal is to make money. What business would be ok with employees promoting competing merchandise, etc. I work at a hospital, there are two in town...I can't go to work wearing a t-shirt with the other hospitals logo on it. I know it's not the SAME thing exactly but you get the gist. While it does kind of suck, it's not the worst thing ever, people will cope and adjust.

Finally I don't see what all the doom and gloom about SCS coming to an end is. From what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) we can still post our cards here, we just can't link them to our blog or send people here from our blog (or FB or whatever it may be). And speaking of my blog, I have NO idea why I or anyone else would ever promote non-SU projects anyway...I want people to BUY IT ALL from me Personally I use only SU products anyway, it's just easier for me to match everything together and I don't waste money on stuff that I'm not sure what to do with or what to match it with.

Answered my own question...YES we can still post here, just not link to the site in emails, blogs, whatever. Keep posting ladies, I wanna see what you make!

Check out my blog

Old 09-01-2009, 12:08 PM   #57
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Actually, it affects anyone who visits the personal blog of an SU demo.

Also, a lot of people cannot "buy it all" from SU. A lot of people want more. I'm more likely to purchase SU products from someone who can show me how they use SU products with other companies' products.

I hope no one flames you. I prefer open discussion and prefer that the mods don't shut it down. I started the thread to hear ALL opinions. And I don't get the demo way of thinking that says certain things should not be discussed on the non-demo side. A lot of us have been demos or may be considering becoming demos. It's not a secret society.

This would be the last thing in the world to cause the demise of SCS and I don't really see that being cited here. Even if SU institutes a similar site, SCS will keep on keepin' on.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:08 PM   #58
ajm
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynsmom View Post
i totally agree! You can do a lot of different cards/projects using things other than stampin up! only. Hobby Demos are going to start dropping like flies if they feel as if they are not "allowed" to use or discuss any other products besides Stampin Up! As for me, i just stocked up on cardstock and re-inkers, because i know demos that are outraged! (my 2 cents, anyway)
I'm a hobby demo and I've read the new agreement and it doesn't make me want to drop. It would seem like an over reaction to drop over this - SU! isn't asking for anything unethical from their demos.

Ann
Old 09-01-2009, 12:10 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothermars View Post
I reread the post. In an answer regarding participating in an online forum (such as SCS), SU warns that if that website promotes competing companies, the demonstrator would be violating her contract if she were to participate. SCS promotes competing companies. That means demonstrators who participate here, even if they use SU-only products, will be in violation of their contract.

That's not how I read this...it just says that we can't link to it, we can still participate if we don't link, anyone else read it the same way I do?:

Q: I regularly participate in online forums relating to the craft industry, and maintain a gallery of my artwork on one of these forums. With the new IDA, is this activity still allowed?

A: Yes. Participating in forums and posting your projects for your fellow crafters can be an important method of inspiration and recognition. It's important to note that the new IDA does not prohibit this kind of activity.

However, there are some guidelines now associated with activity using any electronic media. Consider the web site or online community you choose to participate in. Does it actively promote or market other craft companies? Does it provide information on products or catalogs for other stamping, scrapbooking, or home decorating products or companies? If you directed your customers to the web site, would they have the opportunity to learn about and purchase similar products from other companies, and not from you? If the answer is yes, then under the new IDA guidelines, you should refrain from linking to the site in your other personal electronic communications, regardless of your personal activity on that forum or web site. We understand that this may be difficult for some, but hope you understand the impact on your customers when you direct them to a location where their attention is diverted from you and the products you have to offer. We are currently exploring ways to provide more of an open community and sharing environment to our demonstrators, and will keep you updated on any new developments.

Check out my blog

Old 09-01-2009, 12:13 PM   #60
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm View Post
SU! isn't asking for anything unethical from their demos.Ann
I agree I don't think it's asking for anythink unethical either. But I do believe it is restrictive and stifling.

I was a demo for a year. I understand policy. But I also think that limiting someone doesn't make things better.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:13 PM   #61
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynsmom View Post
my question is.........how much can they really track all of this??
not sure how much they actually track- but the do rely on the honor system and then those that will turn others in.

I honestly think it's a bad idea. I get it, but I don't agree with it- *and* I think it will actually LIMIT their exposure. Plus the people who are fans of those who are opting to leave, will still be spending the way they are, and see NO SU! on their fave designers blogs now.

I do feel bad for those stuck in the middle of choosing-

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Old 09-01-2009, 12:15 PM   #62
Kookie Creator

I just read it. Most of it is fine. What I don't like is that there are telling me what I can and can't have on my PERSONAL blog. Whoa! I can't link to my friend's blog ... she's not even on a design team, but she lists where she buys her supplies for her projects... that is defined as promoting competitive product... so I can't link to her. Ridiculous! I'm a HOBBY demo. I am the only one buying. I don't have customers and don't want them. Now I can't link to my friends' & families' blogs on my PERSONAL blog... Yikes!
Old 09-01-2009, 12:21 PM   #63
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

That's not how I read this...it just says that we can't link to it, we can still participate if we don't link, anyone else read it the same way I do?:
Yes, it doesn't say we can't come to SCS or even post our cards on SCS. It just says we can't link to SCS from our blogs, emails, etc.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:24 PM   #64
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm not a demo and don't own an SU product. I have never been to an SU party nor invited to one. I have to be honest I have looked at being a hobby demo occasionally and just lately have considered it more seriously.

It smacks to me of wanting complete control over their product. There is no such thing. It would be like Honda telling its dealerships that no one that works there can drive a competing product.

Chances are now, without the links and the other restrictions involved, that I won't see any new SU products so they are taking themselves out of my world not the other way around. Very short sighted on that front. I quite often blog hop and just pick the "nominal" person down on their link list no matter what affiliation.

I was always taught in basic economics and advertising that you want your product widely seen in appropriate context in order to promote it.

SU have dropped the ball on this and need to look at what they are trying to achieve rather than what looks like a knee jerk alienating reaction to competition.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:26 PM   #65
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
[/COLOR]

Q: I regularly participate in online forums relating to the craft industry, and maintain a gallery of my artwork on one of these forums. With the new IDA, is this activity still allowed?

A: Yes. Participating in forums and posting your projects for your fellow crafters can be an important method of inspiration and recognition. It's important to note that the new IDA does not prohibit this kind of activity.

However, there are some guidelines now associated with activity using any electronic media. Consider the web site or online community you choose to participate in. Does it actively promote or market other craft companies? Does it provide information on products or catalogs for other stamping, scrapbooking, or home decorating products or companies? If you directed your customers to the web site, would they have the opportunity to learn about and purchase similar products from other companies, and not from you? If the answer is yes, then under the new IDA guidelines, you should refrain from linking to the site in your other personal electronic communications, regardless of your personal activity on that forum or web site. We understand that this may be difficult for some, but hope you understand the impact on your customers when you direct them to a location where their attention is diverted from you and the products you have to offer. We are currently exploring ways to provide more of an open community and sharing environment to our demonstrators, and will keep you updated on any new developments.

Okay, so demonstrators CAN participate on SCS gallery, but they can't link to SCS, "from your personal electronic communications," nor should they, "directed [sic] your customers to the web site." In other words demonstrators should pretend SCS, as well as all those other wonderful websites out there who are not SU-only, don't exist when talking to customers. Nope, sorry, but if I couldn't have led my former customers to SCS so they could see all the amazing things they could do with SU products in conjuction with non-SU products (such as Anything BUT a Card on the gallery), I wouldn't have had a successful business for five years. SU is hinting that they are coming up with something for their home page, but it's too little, too late, AGAIN.

I'm outta here. Sorry, SU. You're not the only company out there, and you're not the best anymore. You can find me at my local scrapbook store. I'll finish my last SCS post the way I started. I'm SO glad I left SU.

Last edited by mothermars; 09-01-2009 at 12:33 PM..
Old 09-01-2009, 12:28 PM   #66
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunf1ower View Post
I just read it. Most of it is fine. What I don't like is that there are telling me what I can and can't have on my PERSONAL blog. Whoa! I can't link to my friend's blog ... she's not even on a design team, but she lists where she buys her supplies for her projects... that is defined as promoting competitive product... so I can't link to her. Ridiculous! I'm a HOBBY demo. I am the only one buying. I don't have customers and don't want them. Now I can't link to my friends' & families' blogs on my PERSONAL blog... Yikes!
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

This is EXACTLY ME! I don't actively sell it, but now I can't link to my friends Kelly because she is on a design team promoting non-SUP or Claire because she just started her own stamp line in IRELAND!? RIDICULOUSSSSSSSSSSS!
Old 09-01-2009, 12:31 PM   #67
Glitter Queen

It seems very restrictive. I feel like they will loose a lot demonstrators because of this. It seems like the loss of a demonstrator would hurt their business more than a demonstrator occasionally posting about another product on their blog. It seems very controlling. I used to be a demo, and I'm very glad I'm not anymore. I'd rather work for a competing company and be able to have freedom of speech on my blog, than work for a company who restricts that. I think it's a very bad business decision. But I guess they'll have to learn that the hard way.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:32 PM   #68
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by willosmama View Post
not sure how much they actually track- but the do rely on the honor system and then those that will turn others in.

I honestly think it's a bad idea. I get it, but I don't agree with it- *and* I think it will actually LIMIT their exposure. Plus the people who are fans of those who are opting to leave, will still be spending the way they are, and see NO SU! on their fave designers blogs now.

I do feel bad for those stuck in the middle of choosing-
From what my friend told me (who's in Founder's Circle) she was told that SUP does not have a staff that police's demo's blogs. She was told that they don't need to have that because enough demonstrators "rat" each other out and tell demonstrator support when someone else is in violation.

Was that clear as mud?
Old 09-01-2009, 12:34 PM   #69
ajm
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenanev View Post
I agree I don't think it's asking for anythink unethical either. But I do believe it is restrictive and stifling.

I was a demo for a year. I understand policy. But I also think that limiting someone doesn't make things better.
I don't have a blog and no plans to start one, but I guess I can see where people with blogs would get mad about that.

Ann
Old 09-01-2009, 12:34 PM   #70
Glitter Queen

And... who wants to read a blog that's all about Stampin Up? I like a blog with variety... with all the new products, trends, & ideas that are out there.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:39 PM   #71
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkadot View Post
And... who wants to read a blog that's all about Stampin Up? I like a blog with variety... with all the new products, trends, & ideas that are out there.
oh, some of my favorite blogs are devoted to SU products! You should check out JanTink's blog. I don't have the link ready but really, it is amazing. And Andrea Walford. you can google them. so creative and well done!
Old 09-01-2009, 12:40 PM   #72
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by vz5dzh View Post
Yes, it doesn't say we can't come to SCS or even post our cards on SCS. It just says we can't link to SCS from our blogs, emails, etc.
You'll have to remove most of the links on your page. That is so sad as it adds to the resources so many of us love to search for inspiration.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:41 PM   #73
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm View Post
I don't have a blog and no plans to start one, but I guess I can see where people with blogs would get mad about that.

Ann
Electronic communication is also email accounts.

and "PM-ing" people on forums etc.

And if SU! don't need to police because they have demos that rat out others - well then, that doesn't really sound like a nice place.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:47 PM   #74
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Nickel View Post
From what my friend told me (who's in Founder's Circle) she was told that SUP does not have a staff that police's demo's blogs. She was told that they don't need to have that because enough demonstrators "rat" each other out and tell demonstrator support when someone else is in violation.

Was that clear as mud?
yep-that's what i meant by those who will turn others in.

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Old 09-01-2009, 12:51 PM   #75
Pearl-ExPert

I'm not a demo for SU! or any other company, so I don't have a dog in this hunt BUT - this site, with its shameless promotion of other companies, has caused me to purchase far more SU! product than any party I had previously gotten roped into attending.

I can understand SU! wanting to protect their demos. I can even somewhat understand their stance on personal blogs - to a degree. However, if I was a demo with a non-stamping blog - say, a Julie & Julia type blog about cooking - I think it's going too far for SU! to say that on that cooking blog, I cannot link to a friend's blog where she posts delicious recipes if that friend also posts recipe pages made with paper and/or stamps from some other company.

Its a personal, non-stamping blog. SU! trying to police these is going to be a nightmare for the company.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:53 PM   #76
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikimom View Post
You'll have to remove most of the links on your page. That is so sad as it adds to the resources so many of us love to search for inspiration.
I know. I'm not too upset about that though. I haven't updated my blog in a long time. I think I have gotten over the whole blogging thing. I don't have enough time to actually stamp much less post about it.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:03 PM   #77
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkadot View Post
Oh there are definitely some great blogs that are SU only. I believe a lot of really serious business demos do that by choice. And it may be good business practice ~ but choice is the key word.

I think the new rules will really hurt the hobby demo who has learned to mesh products from different companies and sell SU. Maybe they can overcome it if they persevere. But I really do believe it is more of a hindrance than a help.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:08 PM   #78
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
I know. I'm not too upset about that though. I haven't updated my blog in a long time. I think I have gotten over the whole blogging thing. I don't have enough time to actually stamp much less post about it.
Oh, but this is why non-demos would be concerned about this policy. It makes it harder to go find blogs for ideas i.e. learn new techniques, layouts, use of embellishments, color combos, etc. (You have a great list on your blog, by the way.)

It's like China used to be when they were closed off from the rest of the world - stifled progress. Look at the difference when they joined the world community.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:09 PM   #79
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Oh there are definitely some great blogs that are SU only. I believe a lot of really serious business demos do that by choice. And it may be good business practice ~ but choice is the key word.

I think the new rules will really hurt the hobby demo who has learned to mesh products from different companies and sell SU. Maybe they can overcome it if they persevere. But I really do believe it is more of a hindrance than a help.
I totally agree that forcing it is where it is odd. There are a lot of people that love Stampin' Up, but love other stuff, too. But when push comes to shove, if someone is told they can only have one love, then they may choose to have a different love as their only one. I just don't see why they would want to limit their exposure in the online realm, which is what this will ultimately do.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:10 PM   #80
Crimping Master

Quote:
Ditto!