Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-03-2009, 11:43 AM   #641
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
What I am still have trouble with is the SU wanting complete control over your electronic communication. There is no leeway to have your fantastic business SU blog AND your fantastic independent this is another aspect of me blog. Many people can do both and do them well and truthfully if I followed and loved an independent blog and saw that they were a demo it would pique my curiosity and I would look at their SU blog - if they were doing equal work it would really turn on my creative wonderment and I would want to buy the stuff no matter the brand to make my stuff look like theirs.

To me SU demo is like wearing a job uniform - you should do your job but you should also be allowed to take off your uniform when you aren't working.
To be honest, I don't believe that SU really cares about all of these media outlets. If people only get this one point, I would be happy.

This change was made because, as the blogging phenomenon developed all kinds of opportunities have come to SU demonstrators. SU let things go, that they probably shouldn't have in an effort not to stifle demonstrators, but now there are instances that have just gone beyond what is feasible from a business standpoint. They need to draw a line.

The web is changing every day, so who knows what clever or innocent endeavor might cause the next big problem. So by making reference to all the different media, they are saying. We don't want you endorsing other products and selling ours too, no matter what clever electronic way you come up with to do it. They have come right out and said they don't want to start naming every scenario, because some could be perfectly innocent and OK, but someone may take that one or two levels further and that instance is over the line.

As a parent, I set lots of rules but strategically picked my battles. That is what SU is doing and internally they have indicated that. The fact that some people have been over here rather than trying to find answers thru SU is their own undoing.

That is why I say, all of this conjecture is not doing anyone any good.

Belinda
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-03-2009, 11:44 AM   #642
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by row4d View Post
"Constructive" criticism (which by its very definition "builds up" by including helpful suggestions for improvement) is perfectly fine -- going into a public forum guns blazing and completely venting your spleen about how furious you are, how wrong-headed the whole mess is, and how the company is screwing themselves is another matter entirely. It's possible to discuss problems, concerns and disagreements in a civil manner without degenerating into personal attacks and mudslinging.

Went to consult a dictionary for the exact meaning, and to disparage means to belittle, or to speak of something with contempt. Simply disagreeing with something and saying so is not disparaging.
Good thing customers aren't required to sign an agreement to do business with SU.

But who knows, that may be coming in the future.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:51 AM   #643
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavvyKat View Post
I totally agree with this post!!! Legally SU! CANNOT mandate what you do in your free time.
Actually, legally, they can. Ask any professional athlete if they are allowed to wear a Nike symbol on their ballcap if they have signed a legal contract with a Nike competitor or if they are allowed to shoot a McDonalds commercial if they are sponsored by Burger King. Legal contracts can and do prohibit certain behaviors before, during, and after work hours.

The SU demonstrator agreement now prohibits endorsing competitive products for any reason at any time. There is a lot of legal precedent for this. Don't think that SU lawyers didn't spend a lot of time making sure they could win a law suit over it before they put the new agreement in place.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:59 AM   #644
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriloo View Post

Chocolate and stamping for all! This is supposed to be fun, isn't it???
Yes it is! And may I have another piece please?
Old 09-03-2009, 12:21 PM   #645
Pearl-ExPert

Some people here need to stop ripping apart other's comments. We are all entitled to our own opinions! Just because someone's thoughts are different than yours, it doesn't mean their wrong.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:28 PM   #646
Hardware Hotshot

I'm sorry, I mistyped. Continual discounting is not addressed in the IDA, it is addressed in the Demonstrator Manual. This was discusssed ad nauseum last fall, and you can read more about SU's stand and compliance here:

http://www.stampinup.com/us/enu/1457_12367.asp

And yes, free shipping is the equivalent of ten percent off all orders, which is the same as giving a continual discount.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:32 PM   #647
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindykid View Post
Yes it is! And may I have another piece please?
Yes you may!!!

and I will take one as well!
Old 09-03-2009, 12:32 PM   #648
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindykid View Post
Actually, legally, they can. Ask any professional athlete if they are allowed to wear a Nike symbol on their ballcap if they have signed a legal contract with a Nike competitor or if they are allowed to shoot a McDonalds commercial if they are sponsored by Burger King. Legal contracts can and do prohibit certain behaviors before, during, and after work hours.

The SU demonstrator agreement now prohibits endorsing competitive products for any reason at any time. There is a lot of legal precedent for this. Don't think that SU lawyers didn't spend a lot of time making sure they could win a law suit over it before they put the new agreement in place.
Legally NO they can't. The contract Stampin Up is having demonstrators sign is NOT the same type of contract professional athletes sign...without getting into all the legal mumbo jumbo.

There has been precident set in several cases, not exaclty the same as Stampin Up, in which companies can not mandate the actions of their employees during their free time. I could site a few however I don't want to bore you.

It is my professional opinion if this issue were pursued in a court of law Stampin Up would NOT win, I think Stampin Up is banking on the fact that most demo's don't have the resources to pursue an expensive and long legal battle. I mean after all, it will make more of a statment if some of their top demo's drop...just a thought.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:34 PM   #649
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopping Diva View Post
Some people here need to stop ripping apart other's comments. We are all entitled to our own opinions! Just because someone's thoughts are different than yours, it doesn't mean their wrong.
Well, when you post your opinion in an open forum, you are leaving it open for discussion. That is why there is a reply button at the bottom of each post.

Belinda
Old 09-03-2009, 12:38 PM   #650
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Valerie11 View Post
Totally, Shannon! I guess determining those who consider SU! their job and not their hobby might be the distinction. I never, even in the beginning, considered SU! as something I was doing to earn a living. Even when I was making considerably more than I have in the last few years, it was still just a fun thing to do.

And being flexible is always the best policy, don't you think?

eta: I doubt your company's mission statement is anything near what SU!'s is, though, right? *grin*
Absolutely! Being flexible is what makes the difference between making a customer, and making a customer for life. And it totally makes a difference whether it's a hobby or a job...your decisions are going to be totally different.

And yes, our mission statement is QUITE different.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:41 PM   #651
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Legally NO they can't. The contract Stampin Up is having demonstrators sign is NOT the same type of contract professional athletes sign...without getting into all the legal mumbo jumbo.

There has been precident set in several cases, not exaclty the same as Stampin Up, in which companies can not mandate the actions of their employees during their free time. I could site a few however I don't want to bore you.

It is my professional opinion if this issue were pursued in a court of law Stampin Up would NOT win, I think Stampin Up is banking on the fact that most demo's don't have the resources to pursue an expensive and long legal battle. I mean after all, it will make more of a statment if some of their top demo's drop...just a thought.
This was mentioned on the call last night. Demos are NOT SU employees. Demos sign an agreement to be an independent demonstrator. Therein lies the difference.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:42 PM   #652
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbtbby View Post
Legally, yes they can. I think they could under the current contract because you agreed not to endorse other products and you also agree to abide by all of the company policies and I believe they would have a case to prove that most blogs represent an online classroom if you are representing yourself as a demonstrator and are selling product from there.

The new IDA just clarifies that. When you sign a contract and agree to abide by the policies of that company, they don't have to be in the IDA. They can change the policies at any time and if you don't comply they can terminate your contract. You can still do whatever you want in your blog, SU just doesn't have to allow you to represent them.

By having everyone sign a new IDA, no one can come back and say oh, I didn't understand that policy. Kind of like some people didn't know they couldn't sell on ebay ( some really didn't, some were pretending not to know) This way you have been told in writing and have agreed in writing.

Belinda
Belinda you bring up a great point, and I really don't want to get into a legal debate but would just like to point out...there are a few demonstrators who have personal blogs, blogs in which they are not promoting their business or their demonstratorships, perhaps just a blog they enjoy posting their crafting creations. This is a personal blog and although they are Stampin Up demonstrators and they are not promoting themselves according to the legal terms of the IDA this is NOT allowed.

I just think this is wrong...

Old 09-03-2009, 12:42 PM   #653
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
To be honest, I don't believe that SU really cares about all of these media outlets. If people only get this one point, I would be happy.
If this is the case, then why mention Facebook and Twitter in the original Q&A? I'd think if they didn't really care, they'd make more of a blanket statement rather than single those two media outlets out.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:44 PM   #654
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by steubner View Post
If this is the case, then why mention Facebook and Twitter in the original Q&A? I'd think if they didn't really care, they'd make more of a blanket statement rather than single those two media outlets out.

Shannan you are so right!

Old 09-03-2009, 12:48 PM   #655
Polyshrink Goddess

I began stamping a few years ago after a friend invited me to a party. I thought I could make holiday cards, that would be fun. So began my hobby. I loved purchasing coordinated paper, inks, markers. I met a demo on the train (she was carrrying an SU bag and had a catty). I joined her S10 club. She never mentioned SCS at club meetings. Another club member mentioned SCS, as I asked for ideas using stamp sets other than what she was demo-ing and I felt very limited in my knowledge and ability at that time. (Actually I still do, which is why I love this site and the demos who create great blogs)

SCS is the largest repository of SU stamp sets I've ever come across and I've often wondered two things:

A) Why isn't SU a member company on SCS?
B) Why doesn't SU have a gallery of it's own? Why do I have to come to SCS for inspiration from the gallery that was created using SU stamp sets?

I don't know the answer to the questions above, but being that I've spent the past three to four years checking out SCS for inspiration and uploading my own creations I've come to acknowledge that I truly appreciate the wealth of information here and give kudos to the couple of began this site. I am grateful for their creativity and diligence here and for those who have contributed so much to it's success.

On the flip side, I've been introduced to so many creative people and companies that I've had to make a decision. I can't purchase everything from every company. I'd love to have the funds and stamping space to have a little bit of everything, but I've had to determine what direction my stamping and creativity would move in. No, SU can't be everything to everyone and who hasn't at some point realized they missed an opportunity because they didn't create the next big trend or hop on the bandwagon when everyone else was saying "this is a must have...." I created a thread asking for SU only blogs and websites because that is where I have chosen to limit my paper crafting dollars and in this economy and with having lost a job recently, I'm lucky I can still spend a little bit on something I enjoy. I'm not saying other companies do not have value. I've purchased from other companies I've found here on SCS. But I have to say for myself that I have to set boundaries and limits.

I feel for the demos who have a very tough decision to make, but I for one wouldn't mind a site that was truly SU only and I hope that eventually SU will create a site chock-full of incredible ideas and inspiration. I want to see hundreds of ideas from all their stamp sets. Not to hurt anyone's feelings, but I do believe there is a segment out there that is SU only in their creativity. I don't mean to offend anyone who has branched out and embraced other companies besides SU, I'm only speaking for myself.

A happy stamper
Kelli
Old 09-03-2009, 12:52 PM   #656
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Belinda you bring up a great point, and I really don't want to get into a legal debate but would just like to point out...there are a few demonstrators who have personal blogs, blogs in which they are not promoting their business or their demonstratorships, perhaps just a blog they enjoy posting their crafting creations. This is a personal blog and although they are Stampin Up demonstrators and they are not promoting themselves according to the legal terms of the IDA this is NOT allowed.

I just think this is wrong...
I fall into this catagory. I don't promote my demonstratorship on my blog, heck, I don't even mention it. I blog about family and miscellaneous stuff and I also post some of my cards. Now I can only post my cards if I don't mention the other companies products. Well, guess what. That's basically the same thing as telling me I can't post non-SU creations. How can I post a card made with Papertrey supplies and not mention that.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:56 PM   #657
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

I can answer A

Why pay for something when you've gotten it for free for years?

It's sad to me, because SCS has done so very much to bring SU! business and to help the Demos.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #658
Stazon Splitcoast

Someone to me something.... If deoms and su blog... What other safe beside scs? there where people can go get I deals make cards? becase the olny place I blogs. And scs.... and dosen't sound like I am going to be able look on people blogs. any from card Ideals... So dosen't know good safe place scs and blogs them? I ask this questions once but I think a lady mess understood my questions.... so can help with subguesstings? hotwheels
Old 09-03-2009, 01:01 PM   #659
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJP111 View Post
You won't get any flames from me. I agree wholeheartedly with your statement that I quoted. IMO this discussion belongs on the demo-only side.

I am glad to see, IMO, that this thread has remained civil thus far.
This is just my opinion and after all that's what forums are all about-the opinions of people, but personally I am very interested in not just what a company sells, but how it sells it, where the product is made, how employees are treated etc. Why are customers views not allowed? Without us there wouldn't be any demos or SU at all. I know I'm not alone in this, and this is why people are upset be them demos or not. I'm not a demo but I buy SU products as I buy Sugar Nellie and Basic Grey etc etc.

Competition is a fact of life. Certainly in the Uk SU stock a very limited range of products and to use only SU materials would stifle the creativity and joy of making cards and scrapbook pages.

I can't help but but think that these are the actions of a company that is in trouble in some way and panicking. This is a knee jerk attitude and totally unrealistic. There's no way retailers would be told to do this, yet individuals who do the slog for SU are sqeezed tighter and tighter. SU must know how this would be viewed yet it goes ahead. By trying to keep customers they may lose them. I'm not impressed and feel for those concerned about this.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:01 PM   #660
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
And I read "train wreck" earlier -- somewhere... maybe another thread, I can check.

But.. I don't think "train wreck" is such a bad description. Why was that (sarcastically) funny? I think it's a pretty common expression - for somewhat chaotic.
I'm sorry Phantom, I never did answer this post, there were just so many going there for a while.

I was laughing because.......I had, just moments before, read in the demo forum that the news was already out in the general forum and there was already a train wreck. (remember this was the day the news "officially" came out).

Almost seems like a life time ago doesn't it?
Old 09-03-2009, 01:06 PM   #661
Inking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanTInk View Post
Who said you had to?

Everyone knows I love rubber, in every way shape and form it comes in. I have...cough...SOME other companies' products in my stamping room ...okay, okay, I have a LOT of other companies' products in my stamping room! Stampin' Up! is not making me take all that to the dump. SU! is not making me stop using it, or even stop displaying projects I make with it on my blog.

" I hope this is true (haven't seen the clarifications) because like thousands of others one of the reasons that I love your blog is the 'rubbadulatory'. It is all just very polarized, much like real life and quite frankly I don't want/need any other headaches. Thanks for your help!!
They just don't want me to tell people where to buy it, with a link to a webstore to make it easier. Can people ask me who made it? Certainly and I can even answer them.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the new IDA. I am sad for my friends who are on DTs who now have to choose and if I were on a DT I would also be making the choice. But I haven't done design team work in over a year, so my choice was fairly simple.

I know there has been a lot of rumors floating around as to what this all means. I hope people don't get their undies all in a bunch over this and will continue to buy the rubber they like and use the products they like and share them with everyone they want to. And demos still can do that...there are just rules about how you can do it.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:06 PM   #662
Gallery Gazer

All this rumour mongering has spread to other company's boards. I just had a friend tell me see read at CTMH website (demo side) that I am not allowed to be her friend, wanting to know if it is true~How ridiculous is this people-Go make something~ who cares what company makes the product you use~ Go make something to make yourself and somebody else feel good~ I am unsubcribing to all thhis negativity and going to my craft room to make something! Isn't that what we should all be doing?
Old 09-03-2009, 01:07 PM   #663
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
I can answer A

Why pay for something when you've gotten it for free for years?

It's sad to me, because SCS has done so very much to bring SU! business and to help the Demos.
I couldn't agree more! I have bought so much SU product because of the inspiration found here that I might not have otherwise purchased! I dare say that SU can credit SCS for a certain portion of the their sales (and the demos as well).

I always wondered if SU ever credited SCS for some of their success. Even with all the other companies now promoted here, I KNOW SU is still benefitting from it!!
Old 09-03-2009, 01:09 PM   #664
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blank canvas View Post
This is just my opinion and after all that's what forums are all about-the opinions of people, but personally I am very interested in not just what a company sells, but how it sells it, where the product is made, how employees are treated etc. Why are customers views not allowed? Without us there wouldn't be any demos or SU at all. I know I'm not alone in this, and this is why people are upset be them demos or not. I'm not a demo but I buy SU products as I buy Sugar Nellie and Basic Grey etc etc.

Competition is a fact of life. Certainly in the Uk SU stock a very limited range of products and to use only SU materials would stifle the creativity and joy of making cards and scrapbook pages.

I can't help but but think that these are the actions of a company that is in trouble in some way and panicking. This is a knee jerk attitude and totally unrealistic. There's no way retailers would be told to do this, yet individuals who do the slog for SU are sqeezed tighter and tighter. SU must know how this would be viewed yet it goes ahead. By trying to keep customers they may lose them. I'm not impressed and feel for those concerned about this.
Retailers and contractors are totally different types of jobs. A demo is an independent contractor.

Who in the world ever said customer's views are not allowed. Stampin'Up! like any website store, has a "contact us" button. All you have to do is use it and tell them how you feel.
I encourage my customers to do this all the time.

And again, Stampin'Up! does not CARE if their demo "buys" other products or uses those outside of SU. What they do care about is the under contract demo "selling" or "advertising" those products.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:13 PM   #665
Glitter Queen

Default What if...

...all demos signed the new IDA? Just imagine the time, money, and resources SU would have to devote to policing every single personal blog, website, social networking site, etc. It would be impossible. Hmmm...maybe all demonstrators should just give SU what SU is asking for: sign the IDA, continue with business as usual in your personal stuff, and then let SU police the web to death.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:14 PM   #666
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I'm not a legal bod at all but this is what I am thinking too. That they aren't worried about being heavy handed in this because they have their die hard supporters who would sign over their first born (ok that's an exagerration but it does sometimes seem that way).
Old 09-03-2009, 01:15 PM   #667
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmap View Post
...all demos signed the new IDA? Just imagine the time, money, and resources SU would have to devote to policing every single personal blog, website, social networking site, etc. It would be impossible. Hmmm...maybe all demonstrators should just give SU what SU is asking for: sign the IDA, continue with business as usual in your personal stuff, and then let SU police the web to death.
I doubt SU will have to police - their demos will do it for them.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:17 PM   #668
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly75 View Post
I fall into this catagory. I don't promote my demonstratorship on my blog, heck, I don't even mention it. I blog about family and miscellaneous stuff and I also post some of my cards. Now I can only post my cards if I don't mention the other companies products. Well, guess what. That's basically the same thing as telling me I can't post non-SU creations. How can I post a card made with Papertrey supplies and not mention that.
Precisely...this is what I think is wrong...

Old 09-03-2009, 01:20 PM   #669
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
The ironic twist here is that everyone is acting like SU is behaving in such a mean and unfair manner, when the truth is that they are being more compassionate, fair and bending than any other company out there would be.

Belinda
I have been reading all of this off and on today. I do not think all companies have taken this stance. I know of at least one weekly sketch challange that a SU demonstrator is on the DT for and does not use that companys' stamps and obviously, the "owner" is okay with it.

I like SU and will continue to buy but, I would never be a demo based on the new agreement. I think SU is trying to "protect" their business and of course, they can choose to do that. I also believe that they have received a lot of free marketing through SCS and stampers blogs? I wonder if they appreciate that??
Old 09-03-2009, 01:28 PM   #670
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyat30 View Post
Good thing customers aren't required to sign an agreement to do business with SU.

But who knows, that may be coming in the future.
Um, okay...

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Old 09-03-2009, 01:29 PM   #671
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Precisely...this is what I think is wrong...
Hey Tabbygirl.. I was wondering when you would come on and give your view with your legal background...

I just sit here and think and wait and wonder what decision I will make as well..

humph!
Old 09-03-2009, 01:33 PM   #672
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmap View Post
I couldn't knowingly sign it and then knowingly go against what I agreed to. For me it is about invading my personal space. My blog and my Facebook have nothing to do with me being a demo period.

My Blog
Old 09-03-2009, 01:36 PM   #673
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlynny View Post
I also believe that they have received a lot of free marketing through SCS and stampers blogs? I wonder if they appreciate that??
I don't think they've failed to appreciate that at all. They're just trying (unfortunately a bit later than they probably should have) to rein in the increasing competitive activities of their sales representatives. If this had been addressed, say, two or three years ago before blogging, Twitter and similar online activities absolutely exploded in popularity among papercrafters, things may have turned out differently than what's been unfolding the past few days.

There's a quote floating around now that I think captures it perfectly -- SU! welcomes competition... just not from their own demonstrators! Seems pretty reasonable to me!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Old 09-03-2009, 01:38 PM   #674
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAMPINGODDESS View Post
While I can't say with 100% certainty, it again has to do with state laws. I believe that any internet company that has a bricks & mortor presences in your state is required by state law to collect sales tax. Even though SU does not have a bricks & mortor presence, by their business model of having demonstrators in each state selling to customers in a particular state, they (SU) are required by law to collect sales tax regardless of whether your order is placed at a home party or via your demonstrator's website.

I would venture to guess that if SU did NOT collect the NJ sales tax from you, based upon their business model in your state, that the State of NJ would come after them.

I can say that at least here in Ohio where sales tax is charged on shipping I have beeen charged sales tax by EVERY direct sales/home party plan order I have placed whether it was placed at my friend's party or directly from the consultant's website.

Lastly, another piece of food for thought on the sales tax issue, if you are placing orders via the internet from companies that are not charging you sales tax on yoru order, then check your state laws. I know that here in Ohio, the tax code states that we are supposed to disclose to the state what we spent via the internet and are required to remit the applicable sales tax due with our income tax returns each April. Does everyone do this? If I was a betting woman I would say that less than 10% comply with this law, but it is on the books nonetheless.
Actually, they do not even have to have BRICK and MORTAR. What they do have is what is called NEXUS and that means they have a license to do business in that state. So, SU must have a license or (NEXUS) to do business in NJ. When a business has that license in any State, they MUST collect the State Sales Tax for that state and pay it to the state, IF that state charges sales tax and sales tax on shipping.
(This is what I work on for 18 years with the catalog company that I worked for)
Old 09-03-2009, 01:43 PM   #675
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by row4d View Post
I don't think they've failed to appreciate that at all. They're just trying (unfortunately a bit later than they probably should have) to rein in the increasing competitive activities of their sales representatives. If this had been addressed, say, two or three years ago before blogging, Twitter and similar online activities absolutely exploded in popularity among papercrafters, things may have turned out differently than what's been unfolding the past few days.

There's a quote floating around now that I think captures it perfectly -- SU! welcomes competition... just not from their own demonstrators! Seems pretty reasonable to me!
I think what's hard to swallow is that those same demonstrators sought SU's approval a couple of years ago when asked to be on design teams, and were told it was okay. So to all of a sudden be informed, "Whoops, we were wrong, no you can't!" would be completely frustrating to me. They weren't told that SU would look into it and revise the demo agreement, and they had no idea this was coming. Sure, they have a whole month to decide, but in the DT world a month is really not a whole lot of time.

ETA: I also think those demos would have spent their time, efforts, and dollars a WHOLE LOT differently over the last two years if they had any idea this was coming.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:46 PM   #676
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgchic View Post
I just want to thank whoever stated that ds = demo support. For the first 8 pages, I was wondering why everyone was asking their Dear Son about the new changes.
Too funny...I had been thinking the same thing!
Old 09-03-2009, 01:48 PM   #677
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamps'nCoffee View Post
I couldn't agree more! I have bought so much SU product because of the inspiration found here that I might not have otherwise purchased! I dare say that SU can credit SCS for a certain portion of the their sales (and the demos as well).

I always wondered if SU ever credited SCS for some of their success. Even with all the other companies now promoted here, I KNOW SU is still benefitting from it!!
So why is everyone still going on about SCS.......SU never once mentioned SCS, never put SCS down, did NOT tell us we couldn't use SCS. There was not one word in IDA about SCS. It is all the poster's imaginings that even brought SCS up.

Yesterday, it was confirmed (because of questions from demos) that SCS is OK to use.
Why do so many think that SU does not appreciate SCS.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:49 PM   #678
Matboard Maniac

WOW! I was seriously considering joining SU and now I'm glad I didn't. I so want to be apart of a design team and to know I couldn't because I'm a demo for another company would suck. Now I did not read yet through all the posts so I may be off but that was what I read on the first page and that shocked me. I wonder what would happen to Beate and chick n stratch even Dawn?????? all I can say is WOW!
Mandy
Old 09-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #679
Embossing Fanatic

This totaly sucks! I'm so glad that I did not send in my demo agreement, I just shredded it. No way will I represent a company that is that harsh. I'm not going to be buying from them either.
More money for my TAC & CTMH demos Now to decide which one gets a new recruit.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:54 PM   #680
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels View Post
Someone to me something.... If deoms and su blog... What other safe beside scs? there where people can go get I deals make cards? becase the olny place I blogs. And scs.... and dosen't sound like I am going to be able look on people blogs. any from card Ideals... So dosen't know good safe place scs and blogs them? I ask this questions once but I think a lady mess understood my questions.... so can help with subguesstings? hotwheels
Hotwheels, please do not worry. You can continue to safely come here to SCS to see many ideas that show SU! stamps, and to visit any blogs you enjoy that also do the same, like you always have.

That is not changing. OK?