Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-03-2009, 06:13 AM   #561
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
And to build on that from the potential customer's POV (point of view, nothing to do with anyone's son) if you are a demo and pointed me to a great deal on a product I'm more likely to remember you when I have more money to spend rather than finding out you fleeced me for profit when you could have told me about the deal. There is a fine line to being a great and respected business person. People don't like to frequent places where they think they have been taken advantage of.
Exactly! And this was one of the things I was told over and over again by my customers. They appreciated that I looked out for them. You know a Crop A Dile is a Crop A Dile is a Crop A Dile, whether it's pink or black or green or......

Just yesterday, after sending out a group email that I would be placing a final order and then resigning, I had a customer email me regarding if one of SU!'s products would work in her CuttleBug. I directed her to a site that not only showed in pictures how to make the right sandwich, but also gave a review on how the texture plates differed from the CB embossing folders. Now, if I understand correctly, this type of information would be in violation of the new IDA. How dumb is that? Giving out information that gives them the tools to make the decision that is best for them? Did I say she had to buy the Big Shot through me to make it work? No.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-03-2009, 06:21 AM   #562
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I keep coming back and reading all the posts, and I still just feel a lot of anger at the whole SU decision, and personally think it's incredibly stupid! If SU is a business for you then of course you are going to be following these rules. Makes sense. If you are a hobby demo like many of us are, then SU is still getting our money. We are putting in more orders than we probably would had we not been demos, PLUS, we are using your products and promoting them on our blogs! It's FREE advertising for them!!! I don't make SU only cards most of the time, and I am on 2 Design Teams and I promote their products as well! WHO CARES!!! SU is still getting FREE advertising on almost everything I make! NOT ANY MORE!!! This decision makes me want to boycott SU. I have already informed my group of friends who faithfully put in order EVERY MONTH that I no longer support SU and they wholeheartedly agree with my decision. What was the harm in letting us have our freedom to create! Their supplies were being used on a regular basis but the fact that they want to stifle my creativity like that makes me outraged! You will not tell me what I can put on my personal blog, and what inspires me!!! It's my hobby!!! Those who are involved with SU as a business make different decisions, and won't be affected by this! How stupid can they be not to see this!!! Am I wrong here???
Old 09-03-2009, 06:22 AM   #563
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen B Barber View Post
To Kitty 14 - Are they direct sales companies? I am quite sure that some of those restrictions apply to direct sales companies only.

To Cindy- Are you sure you can't link to challenges? They aren't stores, are they? I'm not all that savvy in how all that works - but check it out- call DS - your dear son, or demonstrator support even, (I SO appreciated that splash of great humor in the midst of all this heavy stuff earlier) but Cindy check it out - okay? Cuz so much stuff is misunderstood at this point. I was on the webinar last night. Cleared up lots of stuff for me. Good luck - I hope you stick around with SU!!
You know Karen, you actually got my brain buzzing by the keyword of direct sales. Think about it. Mercy is SU, I believe, but she does her own sketch challenges and that would be okay. Korin owns her own company (SNSS) and does her own sketch challenges, BUT Korin is not a direct sales company having independent demonstrators. If that's simply the case, then I understand how CM and CTMH is a no-no linking, BUT the keyword competitor is still there making SNSS a competitor to SU, so I couldn't link her challenges with my blog as that is considered promoting. Any DT work would be the same thing. Linking to SCS is okay though from what I understand from the revised IDA. And, in owning Christian Paper Crafts, my advertisers are other competitive companies and I do have my own DT using those products. I'm definitely out of the game with that alone.

I originally started out as a hobby demo but the business aspect of it just sorta took off and then that's when I made a go at it. At my workshops, we're all about SU and I cater to that market, but we really don't talk about what I do on the side or the products that I use, except CPC. There's an awful lot that I have to sort out, read about the webinar more when it become available, and evaluate my priorities. I do really wish that SU would have left well enough alone though. I really do understand their point in some aspects and I also understand where the SU only demos are coming from; however, I think that SU as an entity and whole is going about this the wrong way. From a business perspective, I don't see where this is going to increase business.

I am going way out on a limb here, but if you really think about this, in this economy and with their layoffs a few months ago, you could almost consider this a very carefully calculated and brilliantly strategic move on their behalf to reduce their overall overhead and demonstrator(s) benefits and perks. By placing these restrictions, they knew they would lose demos by pushing them to the very edge of IC status and the customers are casualties. It's risky and they know this, but it's also the perfect way for them to scale back, yet remain viable at the same time.

Stampin' Up! Only Challenges Design Team
Proud Fan Club Member Since 2007
Old 09-03-2009, 06:24 AM   #564
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty14 View Post
YES! I DO KNOW THAT! All I am saying is that it was just 1 more reason I gave up on SU!

Why don't other companies I deal with do that tax on the shipping thing then? They certainly KNOW nthat I am in NJ! They have the address to shipm me the items!!!!!
This has always puzzled me. In Florida, shipping is not a taxable item, yet I get charged sales taxes on SU's shipping cost. I've asked several demos about this and they could not answer. I e-mailed SU directly and never received a reply.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Old 09-03-2009, 06:27 AM   #565
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty14 View Post
For those of you who insist on interpreting my post in their own way, let me repeat:

I KNOW the the 7% sales tax on the 10% shipping is a legal thing!
I KNOW that SU! is NOT keeping the money!
I KNOW that money is being sent to the proper source!
I KNOW that SU! did not decide to charge NJ residents that extra 7% in order to make a liitle bit more money!
I KNOW that they are following the NJ LAW!

GET MY KNOWLEDGE STRAIGHT???? I AM NOT STUPID!!!!! ALL I am saying is that the last 7% they LEGALLY had to charge me was what put their products out of reach for me! There comes a breaking point for everyone. And for me, THAT was it! I can no longer afford them and there is nothing in their catalogs that interest me now anyway! Their style has changed.

AND now I am UNSUBSCRIBING to THIS THREAD!!!

I understand why you're upset hon but try not to let it ruin your day. There are a few people commenting without reading everything first... heck I posted a few pages back and have since seen at least 3 posts that look like they were almost copied from mine. lol

I think it's important for everyone to read what's been posted first before responding. The longer this thread gets the more repetitive it gets, and people are still misinformed and angry.

Do what I did last night... walk away and stamp something !!
Old 09-03-2009, 06:31 AM   #566
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
VALERIE - I think you are pretty hard on SU- they want to make some clarifications and you even fault them for that, and of course, if they said nothing, you would fault them for that as well. People have been twisting a lot of what they said, taking things out of context, exaggerating things, etc - but you don't think they have a right to clarify?? When I read a lot of what is written on here, I am sorry, I can't think of it as anything BUT bashing.....(certainly not the majority of what is written, but plenty- I just read part of this thread where it said SU has their head up their butt, that in MY opinion is pretty close to BASHING) hmmmm.......does anyone think that's a constructive way to deal with the issues at hand?(and I don't even know WHO said it, because I'm not familiar with most of the people who are commenting here...honestly...I just know there is a way to play fair and this thread has crossed the line a few times in my opinion....)I am thankful for those that have expressed their concerns on both sides in a constructive manner - but wow, I think there's room for being careful, huh? Anyone agree?? I know I felt a little bad for how strong I came across yesterday, and tried to be more accepting of others opinions today, but saying SU has their head up their butt(and other such comments) goes a bit over the top for me, and will evoke our feelings of loyalty. There are those of us(and we are STRONG in number)who do love SU, like it or not.
Wow, out of all the posts here, to pull my name and highlight that I don't agree with the way they have operated is pretty ballsy. And to imply what I would say or not say if they hadn't made their retraction, well, that is even more so. There are many on this thread and others who have said or implied the same thing, yet you chose to make me the example. I don't know who you are attributing saying the "butt" thing, but it wasn't me and I don't appreciate the implication.

I said they reacted as they have done so many times in the past 7 years I've been a demo - issue a proclamation before appearing to analyze beforehand the ramifications of their actions. Then backpedaling to make corrections, a day late and with many negative emotions surrounding their decision.

I worked retail many years ago and the one thing they drilled into us was make a customer happy and they will tell one person, do something that angers, upsets, or makes them unhappy and they will tell 10 people.

That is what is going on here, lots of angry people - demo and customer alike.

Last edited by 11Valerie11; 09-03-2009 at 06:35 AM..
Old 09-03-2009, 06:32 AM   #567
Matboard Maniac

My favorite demo has her own policy on shipping. If you spend X amount of dollars in a year, for the following year she gives free shipping. While you are getting free shipping for that year, if the total amount you buy from her meets that amount again, you get free shipping for another year.

My Gallery
Old 09-03-2009, 06:34 AM   #568
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGMommyof2 View Post
I just wonder how much % wise ~ of SCS's gallery is SU? It sure is nice to be able to look up the SU set & get great ideas ~ why should SCS continue to promote SU like that if SU demos can't even send their customers here for inspiration...

It might be a nice change to see other companies sets organized as nicely...
AMEN!!!

I have a few SU! sets, I'm not a demo and never had the ambition to be one... I prefer other companies (I'm not a big fan of wood mounted... I prefer acrylic). I would LOVE to see CTMH, Papertrey Ink, etc, etc etc sections for my own selfishness....
Old 09-03-2009, 06:41 AM   #569
Forum Fanatic

I'm not willing to "drink the kool aid" either some of what was said in the webinar made me feel worse, not better:

Demos have the exculsive right to sell SU products, but they don't own the company - translation: SU doesn't want you to leave, but it's oru way or the highway

They have legal expertise and what they are doing is legal - translation: go ahead and try to sue, we have more money than you

You can be on other design teams, use other products, but can't link to it or give the name of the product - translation: you can do whatever you want, but you can't tell anyone about it

Why would you want to have links that could take $ away from your business - translation: how stupid are you to send customers to places where they could buy products that are not SU

IMHO - SU does have the right to set whatever limits they want if you want to play in sandbox, it's their company. But, I think this fall out is going to be a lot bigger than what they realize.

IMHO - SU severly underestimated that a lot of demos don't push inferior products on their customers and know that customers are going to buy local for generic products and we don't expect to get large amount of sales for products people can get anywhere or cheaper like the a BS. If have a huge workshop and have hostess $'s then you would buy it from SU, otherwise, you're going for a coupon or get it on sale.

I wonder how many non-demos will boycot putting any mention of SU on their blogs to show support to their demos? I don't have a blog, have considering having one, but just don't have the time. Now, I won't start one unless I decide to stop being a demo.

When I host a class, they are always advertised as a non-SU class because I use whatever products I want. If I hold a workshop, it's SU only workshop. In both cases, if a customer asks me to rate a product against SU, I tell the truth. I get more customer loyalty by being truthful then selling them an inferior product. My customers tell me they spend money with me especially because I'm honest. I have a feeling that most of the demos are the same about being honest about what product is a better choice, at least I hope they are this way.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:49 AM   #570
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

VALERIE - I DID NOT SAY YOU HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE BUTT COMMENT- all I said was what I said, - that I was/am disheartened by anger that SU would clarify when there was so much misunderstanding......I said right in my post I don't know who said the butt thing, and I was trying to say to you, come on, don't they have a right to clarify what has caused this thread in the first place? No insult was intended toward you and I apologize if I was perceived that way. SERIOUSLY....please forgive me if you think others may have thought I was insinuating you said that - I still don't know who said it and it doesn't matter. Sincerely, Karen
Old 09-03-2009, 06:50 AM   #571
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY Southern Belle View Post
I am going way out on a limb here, but if you really think about this, in this economy and with their layoffs a few months ago, you could almost consider this a very carefully calculated and brilliantly strategic move on their behalf to reduce their overall overhead and demonstrator(s) benefits and perks. By placing these restrictions, they knew they would lose demos by pushing them to the very edge of IC status and the customers are casualties. It's risky and they know this, but it's also the perfect way for them to scale back, yet remain viable at the same time.
Wow, that does make sense and I bet you are right. Interesting...
Old 09-03-2009, 06:53 AM   #572

Quote:
Mercy is SU, I believe, but she does her own sketch challenges and that would be okay.
PS: BUT, if Mercy is on another DT and her blog links to a competitor company, then I couldn't link to Mercy's blog.

I'm sorry that I didn't put that in the first time around.

And to Glitterati, I should have added to that, about SU capitalizing on our emotions, which is the biggest coup yet. We are women afterall

Stampin' Up! Only Challenges Design Team
Proud Fan Club Member Since 2007

Last edited by KY Southern Belle; 09-03-2009 at 06:57 AM..
Old 09-03-2009, 06:56 AM   #573
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
PS: BUT, if Mercy is on another DT and her blog links to a competitor company, then I couldn't link to Mercy's blog.

Actually, no, that's not correct. The only reason you wouldn't be able to link to her page is if you could actually purchase something on her page. If you can purchase competing product FROM her, right there, then you could not link to her. If she just has a link herself, then it's not a problem. Straight from the horse's mouth, last night in SU's webinar with Shelli et.al...
Old 09-03-2009, 06:57 AM   #574
Compulsive Stamper

Default Closing a gap between real and virtual

I never understood why we were allowed to do something online that we were never allowed to do in real life or a workshop. And that's market competing projects. I signed an agreement more than 11 years ago that at a workshop we are not to use any non SU product (that would hurt the hostess anyway as people can't order it). Blogs have become a virtual workshop -- and at least online you can still use SU and non-SU products together -- just not actively market the non-SU products. I can see the logic in that and never understood why there was one standard for the real world and a different one for the virtual world. Above all -- I hope the discussion stays civil. I love this saying and try to live by it more and more the older I get -- "we can disagree without being disagreeable." Just keep stamping -- it's all good.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:57 AM   #575
Pearl-ExPert

I AM SO GLAD I DONT DEMO FOR THESE COMPANIES ANYMORE!
Old 09-03-2009, 07:10 AM   #576
Hardware Hotshot

Wow, there sure are a lot of opinions posted here!! I've already posted once, but am going to again.

I have been a Hobby demo for over a year. I may not have had tons of sales and made a lot of $$ for SU, but I would say that 98% of everything I puchased was for ME, to keep up with the minimum ($1200 a year).
That is a lot of money for one person to spend at one place in a year. (IMO). In reality, it was more than $1200, (I always went over.)

I love shopping online for other products! I have spent tons of $$ on them as well. Thats mainly because SU doesn't have it or offer it, or it's too expensive.

I just started my very first Blog this year, where, of course I post pictures of my cards made with SU and Non SU stuff. I'm not telling people to go buy these products, I'm just giving my recipe. Pampered Chef has recipes in their catalogs, but they don't sell the food that goes into it!

Why would I want to worry, say if I made a card that I CASED and want to give credit to the original creator, but had to look at their blog first, to see if they have any of the offending links? This is too much hassle.

They way I look at it, if I want any more SU items, I will just have to buy them from another Demo. I will probably save myself a lot of money in the future, not having to meet minimums!!

I love SCS!!!

Thats just my 2 cents again!!
Old 09-03-2009, 07:11 AM   #577
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagleg View Post
Wow, you would love my demo. Shipping is ALWAYS FREE. In addition, when we used to get stamps that needed to be cut and mounted, she would do that for us also before dropping by with our orders. She is totally the coolest.
Your demo is very generous, and is using part of her 20% commission to offer that service to you. She deserves a nice birthday gift from her customers!
Old 09-03-2009, 07:16 AM   #578
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMarsh5 View Post
By the way Chris.. I've become a follower on your blog.. let's stay in touch. Thanks for listening.
Thank you so much! It's such a hodgepodge right now! I'll be clickin' on yours too!
Old 09-03-2009, 07:27 AM   #579

Quote:
You know...I had not thought of it this way but I am sure they did an analysis of the financial impact of any decision they were going to make. and it does cost them to have "hobby" demos who were not 100% SU in all their projects and in their online personas (um, like me,...although when I have done classes and workshops I have always been 100% SUO. I am just not prepared to change my online life, as little as it is, to SUO so that pretty much seals my decision).

They may have underestimated the emotion behind the decision, but I am sure they did some analysis...at least I really hope they did. If they didn't, they have bigger business problems!!

Chocolate and stamping for all! This is supposed to be fun, isn't it???
Old 09-03-2009, 07:27 AM   #580
Stazon Splitcoast

I have not read the last two pages completely -- just too much time today.

BUT -- please, ladies.... some of you are coming in late on this conversation and I know it's a lot to read. Post #431, I believe -- Belinda King lists the REVISIONS to the original new IDA.

You CAN participate and link to SCS -- they suggest you might think twice. I don't think there are any consequences if you do or they wouldn't tell you that you CAN.

ALSO -- the only blogs or sites they don't want you to link to on any of your blogs are ones that are venues for SALES. Places where people can buy competing products.

These are HUGE concessions from the original new IDA!! The design team members still have a touch choice but they do provide links to competitors SALES sites and I think it is completely understandable for a direct sales company to require this.

Karen Barber. Thank you a thousand times over for sharing your thoughts. My heart goes out to you and your demo friends. I think it was quite painful for you to write about this and I could hear it in your "voice." My goodness. I wish you ALL the best in your career with SU and look forward to seeing you here at SCS. I KNOW there are many here who feel the same way . {{ Hugs }}
Old 09-03-2009, 07:29 AM   #581
Crimping Master

Quote:
What business would be ok with employees promoting competing merchandise, etc. I work at a hospital, there are two in town...I can't go to work wearing a t-shirt with the other hospitals logo on it. I know it's not the SAME thing exactly but you get the gist. While it does kind of suck, it's not the worst thing ever, people will cope and adjust
This may have already been asked, I have not read everything yet, but it is my understanding that the new SU policy implies that you could not be "seen" with a friend that wears a t-shirt with another hospital logo on it. Could someone please clear this bit up for me? As usual I am confused.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:30 AM   #582
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by akstampmama View Post
If you are selling SU I don't think you would want to send your customers to look at competing products anyway.
Just wanted to say something about this... I think is should be the demos decision what she/he wants to do with her/his business... when it comes to a personal blog, Facebook page... it should be just that... PERSONAL... if someone has a SU! blog and promoting and selling throught that... than it's different... than that person probably wouldn't want to promote other businesses... BUT again, it should be a personal decision... demos can get their own SU! business site through SU! and that should be the only one SU! can control...
I think they should keep their hobby demsonstrators instead of forcing them to make a decision... just offer different deals for them... and reward the demos more, who are in it for the $...

My Blog: M.A.D Stamper
My Gallery
------------
Sweet 'n Sassy Design Diva
Craft Project Central Designer
Curtain Call Inspiration Challenge Design Team
2010 Paper Crafts Stamping Royalty Winner
Old 09-03-2009, 07:31 AM   #583
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikiBee View Post
Wow-- you're a great demo!! I love my demo, but she never puts in a little something extra, and we always have to go pick up our own stuff.
Have you asked her about this? I wouldn't presume to tell a fellow demo that she has to do things the way I choose to, but she might be open to trying something different if you ask nicely!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Old 09-03-2009, 07:32 AM   #584
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Valerie11 View Post
I emailed my small base of SU! customers today alerting them that I will no longer be a demonstrator. I have no plans to eliminate anything that I put on my blog, it is mine and mine alone to post what I want, link who I want and all, not be dictated to by SU! on what they feel is appropriate.
Good for you!
Old 09-03-2009, 07:33 AM   #585
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Nancy- thank you. I am literally in tears now. That meant alot. I never meant to hurt anyone by things I said, I guess I just love SU and it shows.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:34 AM   #586
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagleg View Post
Wow, you would love my demo. Shipping is ALWAYS FREE. In addition, when we used to get stamps that needed to be cut and mounted, she would do that for us also before dropping by with our orders. She is totally the coolest.
I wish I could afford to do something like that (my upline has been at this for nearly 14 years and when a hostess has someone book off of her workshop, she gets free shipping on her order at that person's workshop), and have been thinking about covering the tax on hostess benefits myself now that I'm living in a state that charges sales tax on the full amount, not just the overage beyond what was earned.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Old 09-03-2009, 07:36 AM   #587
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Valerie11 View Post
Wow, out of all the posts here, to pull my name and highlight that I don't agree with the way they have operated is pretty ballsy. And to imply what I would say or not say if they hadn't made their retraction, well, that is even more so. There are many on this thread and others who have said or implied the same thing, yet you chose to make me the example. I don't know who you are attributing saying the "butt" thing, but it wasn't me and I don't appreciate the implication.

I said they reacted as they have done so many times in the past 7 years I've been a demo - issue a proclamation before appearing to analyze beforehand the ramifications of their actions. Then backpedaling to make corrections, a day late and with many negative emotions surrounding their decision.

I worked retail many years ago and the one thing they drilled into us was make a customer happy and they will tell one person, do something that angers, upsets, or makes them unhappy and they will tell 10 people.

That is what is going on here, lots of angry people - demo and customer alike.
Val, for me you have hit the nail on the head with this issue. If I hadn't already stopped being a demo for other reasons, I'm sure I would have been pushed over the edge for this very reason.

My friend/SU demo runs a very successful business with it. When I became a demo and became privileged to some of this corporate nonsense, my first thought was, "How can she put up with this? How can she do classes, workshops, etc., and be asked questions and constantly have to COVER for this company?" Because she never said a bad word about SU but because I was a demo and paying attention, I knew what was happening behind the scenes. I could never do that -- put on the smiley face when I knew they were doing exactly as you say in that highlighted passage. And their behavior over the last couple of days is the perfect example of it.

Thanks for bringing this up eloquently! I tried to allude to it the other day but didn't explain it nearly as well as you.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:36 AM   #588
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciesfloozies View Post
Wow, there sure are a lot of opinions posted here!! I've already posted once, but am going to again.

I have been a Hobby demo for over a year. I may not have had tons of sales and made a lot of $$ for SU, but I would say that 98% of everything I puchased was for ME, to keep up with the minimum ($1200 a year).
That is a lot of money for one person to spend at one place in a year. (IMO). In reality, it was more than $1200, (I always went over.)

I love shopping online for other products! I have spent tons of $$ on them as well. Thats mainly because SU doesn't have it or offer it, or it's too expensive.

I just started my very first Blog this year, where, of course I post pictures of my cards made with SU and Non SU stuff. I'm not telling people to go buy these products, I'm just giving my recipe. Pampered Chef has recipes in their catalogs, but they don't sell the food that goes into it!

Why would I want to worry, say if I made a card that I CASED and want to give credit to the original creator, but had to look at their blog first, to see if they have any of the offending links? This is too much hassle.

They way I look at it, if I want any more SU items, I will just have to buy them from another Demo. I will probably save myself a lot of money in the future, not having to meet minimums!!

I love SCS!!!

Thats just my 2 cents again!!
I am with you... I got a lot of SU! stuff just so I can keep up with my quaterly sales... if I decide to give it up, I will probably buy less... I love their stamps, paper, and ink... but these days people will go where the deal is...

My Blog: M.A.D Stamper
My Gallery
------------
Sweet 'n Sassy Design Diva
Craft Project Central Designer
Curtain Call Inspiration Challenge Design Team
2010 Paper Crafts Stamping Royalty Winner
Old 09-03-2009, 07:37 AM   #589
Embossing Fanatic

As women our emotions run high in instances where we feel threatened and this is a threatening situation to many. Hard decisions have to be made. I hate some people feel because at a time when emotions are high and we are all expressing our opinion/concerns we are considered as bashing SU. Please do not take the opinions expressed here as personal jabs - I realize many have a great sense of company loyalty and would follow SU to the virtual end because of their passion for the company. Each of us represented here are women who are passionate about the craft of producing items that are heartfelt - each time we do we give away a piece of ourselves for others to see. In the grand scheme of things, this is not life threatening - we aren't being told we can't explore the cause of breast or childhood cancers, we aren't being told to say goodbye to loved ones as I have experienced this week - while I am not trying to minimize the effects this change will have on the livelihoods of some - we will all survive this - change is uncomfortable. Please remember, this is a business decision that SU has made as a company. I respect the right of each of you to make your personal decision as it relates to their new policies. If your business ethics are now not the same as SU, yes, wholeheartedly you should leave. No one should feel that they will be attacked here now or in the future (as has been expressed). I just respectfully ask please take a step back, remember why we all joined here to begin with - a love of the craft and camaraderie. I pray for all here effected by SU's business decision.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:38 AM   #590
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbapp View Post
After explaining this issue to DH...he had a good analogy...

He works for DirecTV and they give a commission to many actual brick/mortar stores who sell their service. Best Buy is one of them....and many little cell phone/cable shops in small towns sell it too. Well they also sell Dish Network and even contract with local cable companies. DirecTV would be insane to tell all these sales locations that they will not allow them to sell DirecTV unless they stop selling any of the competition. They would lose half of their sales locations!!

What they do is make their deals better than the competition or provide services that the competition does not have.

This is what SU needs to do...don't eliminate their sales reps by making the rules too tight...make their prices better, and keep it up with the exclusive products.

Anyway...I just had to say this before bed...LOL
excellent analogy.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:39 AM   #591
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelel View Post
This may have already been asked, I have not read everything yet, but it is my understanding that the new SU policy implies that you could not be "seen" with a friend that wears a t-shirt with another hospital logo on it. Could someone please clear this bit up for me? As usual I am confused.

This is why I said it's important to read everything before responding. It doesn't imply that at all.... but I'm sure once you go back and read it'll be cleared up for you.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:42 AM   #592
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY Southern Belle

Actually, no, that's not correct. The only reason you wouldn't be able to link to her page is if you could actually purchase something on her page. If you can purchase competing product FROM her, right there, then you could not link to her. If she just has a link herself, then it's not a problem. Straight from the horse's mouth, last night in SU's webinar with Shelli et.al...
http://www.betsyzabora.stampinup.net

This whole thing cracks me up because it is common knowledge that for the most part, if you are on a design team for a non SU company, you will have a direct link to where you can purchase said items.

I for one hate it that all of this is going on. I am a non confrontational person who uses cardmaking and scrapbooking as a creative outlet. When things get this confrontational, it makes me want to back away all together. I dont want to have to focus on the legalities of stamping. That's why I stamp; to destress. Making the decision to become a demo was stressful enough. That's why I waited til the last minute to sign up. I was all excited about getting the kit and then the very next day all this came about. I hope that everyone takes the time to properly inform themselves and make the best decision for your situation. On a positive note: everyone in this thread should keep in mind why we come here to begin with. We all have a common intrest in crafting. This usually bonds us together, lets not let this situation devide us JMHO

Last edited by Patrina+2; 09-03-2009 at 07:47 AM.. Reason: Don't know why my comment came across like that!
Old 09-03-2009, 07:45 AM   #593
Crimping Master

Quote:
This is why I said it's important to read everything before responding. It doesn't imply that at all.... but I'm sure once you go back and read it'll be cleared up for you
I clarified that I had not read everything thus I had not seen your comment that it is important to read everything before responding. I am just asking what I thought was a simple question so I could have some perspective once I have time to read and digest everything.

Quote:
It doesn't imply that at all.... but I'm sure once you go back and read it'll be cleared up for you.
I really do not have the time right now to read all 15 pages. If it does not imply this than why are so many people stating that they are going to have to take friend's blog links off of their personal blogs, facebook, twitter.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:51 AM   #594
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelel View Post
I'm thinking you maybe just took a little bit of a quote from someone in this post??? The part about the hospital shirt??

I read your later post too -- some people are saying you have to remove all the links to your friend's blogs, etc., because they haven't seen the revisions to the new IDA. You cannot link to a blog or site that SELLS competing product.

I hope that helps... we all know you didn't really think SU was regulating hospital wear . I think the other person meant well in their reply.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:52 AM   #595
Hardware Hotshot

For those of you who were discussing free shipping/discounts from demos, did you know that they are not in compliance with SU? It states as much in the current IDA. That would be an ongoing discount, something which SU does not condone.

So, you can click to a link to a blog, but not if the click leads you to a place where you can buy? So one click is acceptable, but two clicks is out of the question? Ridiculous. I'm so glad to be done with it.

Cindy, you made some really great points, and put a new spin on this whole scenario. Wow! We've been downsized, and we didn't even know it!
Old 09-03-2009, 07:57 AM   #596
Gallery Gazer

Talking

Quote:
Nancy- thank you. I am literally in tears now. That meant alot. I never meant to hurt anyone by things I said, I guess I just love SU and it shows.
I appreciate all the different view points on this being presented...and I admire your loyalty to SU. You've been as passionate on your points as anyone else with a different viewpoint.

I eluded to this early on in a comment on Joan's blog...that demos need to decide where on the spectrum they fall. Are your (collective your) philosophies on the craft/art/business, etc at one place and SU's on another; or, do your philosophies line up enough that you (collective) can live within the guidelines? If the company and the demo don't share the same view, then its not the path the demo should take anymore.

Likewise, as customers, we also have to decide whether our personal philosophies align with the companies which we choose to enter a transaction. For many of us, this craft is such a personal extension of our hearts, souls, and personalities it is hard to separate from the emotional aspects. I, me, individually, take a lot of stock in how companies treat others who represent them. I've made the decision not to financially support this company because they are at one end of my spectrum, and I'm at another.

It's not personal, it's business. And everyone has a right to choose how they handle the next steps either as a demo, customer, artist, etc.

(going to my happy place again...)

Edited to add: I think TeresaLynn and I were sharing the same brain...

Last edited by StampinChrissylea; 09-03-2009 at 08:01 AM..
Old 09-03-2009, 07:59 AM   #597
Die Cut Diva

There is just one word that keeps going through my head: GREED!

I'm sorry, there is just no way to gloss it over. I understand their reasons, but it does not excuse their actions. I'm deeply disapointed in this company I once loved.

I plan to get back to my creating. This is why I became associated with SU and and SCS and all the wonderfully creative people I have met along the way. I don't want negative feelings over this to change the way I feel about using my stamps and supplies from all companies.

I think that the worst thing you can tell someone who creates art is that they have to have creative boundries. SU has made a huge mistake in trying to control the incredible artists that have been so helpful to their business over the years.

Thank you for letting me have my say.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:59 AM   #598
Crimping Master

Nancy,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Yes I did pull a portion of someone's post about the hospital t-shirt.

I am glad that I am not a demo because all the new rules seem confusing at this point.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:00 AM   #599
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
I'm thinking you maybe just took a little bit of a quote from someone in this post??? The part about the hospital shirt??

I read your later post too -- some people are saying you have to remove all the links to your friend's blogs, etc., because they haven't seen the revisions to the new IDA. You cannot link to a blog or site that SELLS competing product.

I hope that helps... we all know you didn't really think SU was regulating hospital wear . I think the other person meant well in their reply.

Thank you.

The hospital shirts were just used for a comparison michelel, and I didn't want you to think I was making fun of your post when I'm sure we all knew it was just an error.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:02 AM   #600
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzi333 View Post
I'm curious Mel - does this mean that big name stampers like you and others who have posted on the thread - does this mean that if you have a card published in a magazine that uses say - SU paper, but uses another companies stamping image - can you no longer do that? Mix SU products with none SU products on a published card? Just curious on that one. I don't blame you a bit for cancelling your SU demo .
SU says you can but you cannot mention the other company names.
I had this question about the Gallery here and was told the same thing by demo support.
I am not going to use other products and NOT give them credit. To me this is wrong by only stating SU name but another company.

Last edited by meluvstampin; 09-03-2009 at 08:05 AM..