Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-02-2009, 09:55 AM   #361
Hardware Hotshot

Oh please... as Betsy just said...

common sense people

Do you honestly think SU! cares if you have a blog link on your side bar of family member who may mention other paper crafting companies.

SU! has a FUNDAMENTAL problem and they are trying to address it.

If you want to nit pick the words - fine - but your missing the big picture.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:56 AM   #362
Hardware Hotshot

RiverIsis that post was not directed at you - just to let you know The thread is moving fast.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:57 AM   #363
Glitter Guru

Common sense says SU is over doing it a tad....
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-02-2009, 09:58 AM   #364
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyCates View Post
See there in lies the rub for me.

The problem isn't that they are saying "dont promote an LG phone" they are saying you can not link to your sisters twitter because she mentions the jupiterjack, and you cant link to your dads blog because he just posted about the awesome cellphone cover your sister found at Walmart for him for his birthday.

I get what they want to do, but they over reached. They can ask ME not to advertise other products all they want, but to tell me I cant link to my family because of something they do. Um... no, I dont think so.

I was teetering on whether to stay on or go, this cinched it for me. No one has the right to tell me that I cant put a link on my blog, that I pay for out of my pocket, to my dad or anyone else for that matter.

the new IDA over reaches.

and on the side: some of the best tutorial sites on the net are not su! only sites/blogs {SCS, Jennifer MCGuire, Kristina Werner}. I, and my customers!, have learned how to make better use of my SU! products because of their tutorials. I have gotten sales because I could point them here or there for a video on something new. Cutting off that outside link hurts demos more then SU! realizes.

all of the above is jmo of course.
Ok, after I told DH the deal with what was going on....he totally disagreed with me...said Competition is good for all...can't disagree with that.
Is anyone else confused as to what loyalty SCS should have for SU since it was sold to Namemedia.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:06 AM   #365
Glitter Guru

When I go to a Nokia store I expect that they have only Nokia phones.

When I go to SU I expect they will have only SU supplies.

When I go looking for blogs I don't expect to see or read that only one certain company can be used to make the design I see. If I want to shop exclusively, I would go right to the source. You can't do that with SU--you have to find a real live person to sell the stuff. There in lies the problem--they don't have a "store".

It is great to sit in your jammies and point/click and it is shipped to you with no make up on...granted you can do that with SU but why the middle man??? It seems to me they would make a greater profit by losing the direct sales thing...I mean if really this is what it is all about.

Not that I want anyone to lose their income!!!

Last edited by 53queenbee; 09-02-2009 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: 'nuther thought
Old 09-02-2009, 10:06 AM   #366
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

To KITTY 14 -

The decision to charge you tax on your shipping is made by New Jersey, not Stampin'Up! I know that for sure because this varies state to state and pertains to direct sales companies I believe. Just clarifying that one point.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #367
Stazon Splitcoast

Yes, MSBetsyZ my issue is with Belinda's post where she states
Quote:
the role that SCS has had in that has already probably done the bulk of the damage
My connection keeps going mid-post so sorry for any confusion on that.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #368
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53queenbee View Post
Common sense says SU is over doing it a tad....
I don't think so. They have a serious problem and are addressing it in a serious manner.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #369
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbtbby View Post
I haven't read all of the posts in this thread, but I have read about 2/3 of them, so sorry if any of this is redundant.

I think most demo's are discussing this over on the demo side for a couple of reasons, it is really an issue for demo's and they get tired of being called cheerleaders for SU or worse. It seems that some people feel that SCS is a board for people to freely share their opinions unless they happen to agree too heartily with SU.

Some of the disparaging comments and pure conjecture about what SU's motives are just defy any kind of rebuttal.

The saddest part for me is to read comments from demonstrators who just haven't bothered to do their homework and have put out information that is incorrect.

To clarify a couple of things, SU is not telling demos they can't use non SU supplies on their blogs nor are they telling them they can't participate on forums like SCS or link to blogs that use non SU supplies. We simply can't say, go buy this other product here. When we link to other blogs and forums they also must not actively promote the same kinds of products that we sell. They are working with any demos who are currently under design contracts and wish to stay with SU and they have even left enough wiggle room in their guidelines that tells me they do not wish to end up on the extreme end of the spectrum that has been speculated here. But the promotion of other products has gone way over the fuzzy line of mentioning where you got another product to actively promoting other stamp companies, which has always been in violation of our contracts. SU has been understanding and lenient as their demonstrators have participated in this expansion of the crafting community to the world wide web. But it is time to take a look at where we are and make decisions that affect the company as a whole as they go forward.

The fact is, very little has changed here on SU's part. They have always asked us not to promote products for other companies. Many of us who have tried to follow that policy to the letter have wondered for quite some time, why they allowed demonstrators to blatantly do so on their blogs and personal websites. From a business standpoint, it just doesn't make sense, but there you have it. Many demonstrators are not trying to build a business. Some are building their own stamp collections, relationships, artistic endeavors, and personal satisfaction from their artistic creations in the form of celebrity on the web, recognition, and even additional income. I understand why they do it, I applaud those who have been successful at it, but the time has come to make a decision as to which of these motivations drive them the most. Stampin' Up! is a business, and what they are asking of their demonstrators is a business minded move. One that they have required all along. They are simply enforcing a rule that has been there all along and clearly drawing a line in the sand. A line that has been blurred significantly with changes in how we interact and do business on the web. For all of those who are screaming about personal freedoms, try walking out of a corporate office and taking your rolodex, blackberry,personal computer or other personal belongings that they deem intellectual property or company records. They can even tell you where you can't work and for how many years if you signed an agreement stating that when you went to work for them. If SU were some horrible big brother trying to control us all, don't you think they would have been enforcing this part of our contract well before now?

Every demonstrator currently with SU agreed in a contract not to promote products for other companies. What do you think we are doing when we design and promote for other companies and then promote our SU business on the same blog? What do you think we are doing when we send your customers to Michaels, the LSS or SCS where other companies and competing products are heavily promoted? And yes, when we link to a friends site who also sells competing products we are promoting other products, something we have agreed in a contract not to do. The fact that building a SU business is not as high on our list of personal priorities does not change the realities of that fact. It just means we have a personal decision to make. Do we want to get a discount on products and be part of the SU experience or do we want to follow these other personal endeavors? A hard choice for some, an easy one for others. On SU's part, it is something they have been asking of you since the day you signed your original agreement. If we want to represent them and sell their products we have to play by the rules they decide.

Su is not a trying to be a monopoly nor are they a greedy corporation. Shelly is one of the sweetest, most caring women I have ever run across. She has great integrity and compassion and yes, she is a pretty good business woman. The blog phenomenon and rise of small web based stamp companies and the role that SCS has had in that has already probably done the bulk of the damage it is going to do to overall sales for all demonstrator based stamp businesses. What SU is trying to do is make decisions that will keep us viable into the future and they have been pretty good at that so far. We are still a strong company and all of these comments about them failing are just conjecture and maybe wishful thinking on the part of a few disgruntled people. I am sure they weighed heavily the consequences of this move and the number of demonstrators that would really be affected when they made their choice to finally enforce this rule. The reality is that if it were only about money, SU has a world wide presence and could probably find plenty of other ways to sell their product for more profit. I am confident enough in the integrity of Shelli and Sterling to believe they are committed to me as much for my business as theirs. I believe I owe them that same commitment

One thing that people often overlook on this site is that SU played as much a role in the rise of some of these web based businesses and SCS as the other way around. What has occurred in this industry over the last few years has been a metamorphic change , one of the few things that we can count on in life. No one thing is solely responsible for the shape of the market today, several entities have played off of one another to create the place we are in today. I believe that SU is simply trying to adjust to those changes in a way that will keep us strong well into the future.

One last point that I would like to make is in reference to SU owning Clearsnap. The company does not. Shelli's husband Sterling owns Clearsnap and you may not see the distinction, but Sterling has never been introduced as the owner of SU, he has always been introduced as Shelli's husband and Shelli is distinctly seen as the founder of SU. I am sure that the distinction is very important to them on a personal level. From the beginning they made the commitment to run them as completely different entities and they have done so. They were the manufacturers of our wheels and at the time that the company was purchased, it catered to markets that were clearly not in competition with demonstrators, to box stores and on the internet. SU was not selling on the internet at the time and did not allow demonstrators to do so either. SU made the move into Clearsnaps territory and not the other way around and they did so at the request of and to benefit their demonstrator base. So it is not fair to say that SU is being hypocritical on this point. Many of you see SU as the same as PTI, Cornish farms or hero arts. They are not. SU is in essence a wholesale distributor of merchandise to 40,000 individual business dealers worldwide. You do business with your demonstrator, not SU. The business models simply are not the same and comparing them is like comparing apples to oranges.

OK, all done with the cheerleading.

Belinda
Well said Belinda. Thank you for your thoughtful post. ITA

My teeny, tiny, someday it might be a GALLERY
Old 09-02-2009, 10:12 AM   #370
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53queenbee View Post
When I go to a Nokia store I expect that they have only Nokia phones.

When I go to SU I expect they will have only SU supplies.

When I go looking for blogs I don't expect to see or read that only one certain company can be used to make the design I see. If I want to shop exclusively, I would go right to the source. You can't do that with SU--you have to find a real live person to sell the stuff. There in lies the problem--they don't have a "store".
Oh Linda I think that is an excellent analogy - and I would add that if SU demos aren't encouraged to be part of the overall stamping community then they are limiting their ability to connect with the customer who wants to know more about their product.

Would SU Demos be part of SCS if they had to pay a fee to put up that they are a demo on their signature line? if they weren't allowed to link back to their business?

I really see this as closing doors. I understand that SU may feel that there were a minority of demos taking advantage however, I assure you that many if not all stampers will buy a product they like or even love no matter what the competitions product is like.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:12 AM   #371
Mad Swapper

I haven't read all the comments on this thread but I don't think SU intention was to shut down sites like SCS. Stampin Up advertises here! I don't like that we can't post non stampin UP products on our personal blogs. I think that it's really a don't ask don't tell situation. Sure I use stickles on almost anything I can. Now I just can't list it. My customers know what it is. I have told them they can make their own with reinkers, crystal effects and glitter. But they choose to buy it at the craft store. BIG deal. There is lots of crafting $$$ to go around. I understand not wanting to feel restricted but I am just going to forget to mention if I use some other product. I love SU and all the great products they have and am not going to shoot myself in the foot getting all worked up about it. There are alot bigger issues going on in this world. Just my opinion. Something I think we can still express, right?

Now go stamp something!
Old 09-02-2009, 10:13 AM   #372
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbtbby View Post
I haven't read all of the posts in this thread, but I have read about 2/3 of them, so sorry if any of this is redundant....

Belinda

Belinda I beleive that your post is one of the most weel thought out and well written responses to this issue. I agree with the majority of your post 100%
Old 09-02-2009, 10:20 AM   #373
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampin'momma View Post
I haven't read all the comments on this thread but I don't think SU intention was to shut down sites like SCS. Stampin Up advertises here! I don't like that we can't post non stampin UP products on our personal blogs. I think that it's really a don't ask don't tell situation. Sure I use stickles on almost anything I can. Now I just can't list it. My customers know what it is. I have told them they can make their own with reinkers, crystal effects and glitter. But they choose to buy it at the craft store. BIG deal. There is lots of crafting $$$ to go around. I understand not wanting to feel restricted but I am just going to forget to mention if I use some other product. I love SU and all the great products they have and am not going to shoot myself in the foot getting all worked up about it. There are alot bigger issues going on in this world. Just my opinion. Something I think we can still express, right?

Now go stamp something!

I like your upbeat post I do want to point out though that I believe SU! does not advertise here. Any ads you see are associated with companies such as Google. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure SU! does not make any financial advertising arrangements with SCS.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:20 AM   #374
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty14 View Post

The last straw for me was when they added the 7% tax on the 10% shipping and handling because I am in NJ! That means I pay the 10% for shipping and handling, 7% sales tax on that,( like a "punishment for living here , although I know it is a legal thing) and then the regular 7% NJ sales tax! That all adds up! I order from all around the USA and nobody else charges me that extra 7% on their shipping.
I appologize if this has already been addressed, but I just want to poiht out that the decision to collect tax on shipping is not something SU has any control over. That is 100% govered by your state. They have no choice in the matter. If you have an issue with shipping being taxed you need to take that up with your state legislature.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:22 AM   #375
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy-Stamper View Post
Shelli would disagree. The demos built SU! in conjunction with herself.
Oh I realize that.. but look at what happens on this board when a new catty comes out or someone uses a set in a certain way. you can't say that SCS doesn't fuel the fire...
Old 09-02-2009, 10:25 AM   #376
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampin'momma View Post
I haven't read all the comments on this thread but I don't think SU intention was to shut down sites like SCS. Stampin Up advertises here! I don't like that we can't post non stampin UP products on our personal blogs.
You can post them just not promote the products used
I think that it's really a don't ask don't tell situation. Sure I use stickles on almost anything I can. Now I just can't list it.
You can list stickles - you can't say "wow look at these great stickles that I just bought at Michaels for $xxx!
My customers know what it is. I have told them they can make their own with reinkers, crystal effects and glitter. But they choose to buy it at the craft store. BIG deal. There is lots of crafting $$$ to go around. I understand not wanting to feel restricted but I am just going to forget to mention if I use some other product. I love SU and all the great products they have and am not going to shoot myself in the foot getting all worked up about it. There are alot bigger issues going on in this world. Just my opinion. Something I think we can still express, right?

Now go stamp something!
The red is my response. There are some issues that need clarifying. I hope as things calm down demos will get a chance to read and digest the information before they make any hasty decisions.

My teeny, tiny, someday it might be a GALLERY
Old 09-02-2009, 10:26 AM   #377
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzytobi View Post
Oh I realize that.. but look at what happens on this board when a new catty comes out or someone uses a set in a certain way. you can't say that SCS doesn't fuel the fire...
The only other companies that are really "allowed" to do that are the member companies from what I have seen.

I think it is quite sad that SU don't see the special priviledges they have had here and throughout the cyber world through good will.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:34 AM   #378
Gallery Gazer

I just called SU demo support and they will be clarifying in a couple of hours on their website. This is what I was told by ds....We just can't link to other sales. Hobby demos are the meat and bones of Stampin Up. They do not want to get rid of us. Nothing changes for me because I am not on a design team or have a blog. We can all still play at SCS. We can still have a link to our dbws under our siggy.

So what I gather is SCS is like being in the food court at the mall.... you can still choose what you want. We are only restricted to linking or selling other products. I feel bad for the dt members. I also feel bad for those fabulous demo support people that have to field all of our questions. I will remain a loyal demo and a loyal SCSer!
Old 09-02-2009, 10:36 AM   #379
Glitter Queen

Default Nothing New Under The Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by akstampmama View Post
This is totally untrue. Did you read the agreement FAQ on the orginal post? Demonstrators can promote their businesses on websites like facebook and blogs. It says they can't promote other products or businesses on the internet. As far as SCS goes it may mean demos need to remove the SU demonstrator links from their signatures if they are going to post other companies products and they probably can't link their blog to SCS. If you are selling SU I don't think you would want to send your customers to look at competing products anyway.
Well said, akstampmama. Over-reaction, misinformation, and just plain not reading the Q&A and viewing the video at SU, seem to be the thing today.

Challenge anyone who thinks the change is unreasonable to go to sites like Scor-Pal, Michaels, Martha and others and see if there is marketing of other competing (competing being the key word) craft companies on them. I would also challenge folks on the forums here to read the SCS forum rules about advertising products. These types of rules are not new to SU or any other craft company. It is simply not fair or informed to come down on SU for this.

To switch the focus slightly, the discussion posts on this subject pushed me over the edge today. Mainly a lurker here on SCS, I've made two decisions.

First, since SCS no longer has a focus on SU only, I won't be steering customers here anymore. I used to tell everyone about how great this site was and how inspiring. I saw the suggestion to not tell customers about SCS in another post today and think it's a great one. (Friend, I'd like to give you credit but I've forgotten your name.) Personally, however, I will continue to come to SCS and appreciate it as a resource for ideas on the SU galleries only (for a long time, have set my browser to go there only).

There is just too much negativity here, particularly about SU. Why would I want my customers to see that?

Second decision I made was to discontinue my subscription to the Weekly Inkling since it no longer focuses on SU products. Understand what SCS is trying to do but since it was bought and broadened to have other stamp companies, and since the forums are so negative, will limit my use. And the ads are getting annoying.

Respectfully,
Debbie O.
Proud Army wife (retired) and SU demo since 2003
Got a blog too, but since it's SU only perhaps shouldn't give the address here )

Last edited by DOlsakovsky; 09-02-2009 at 10:45 AM..
Old 09-02-2009, 10:38 AM   #380
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by croppixie View Post
OMG!!!
What happened to freedom of speach!

Since when is it right for a company to tell me what I can and can not do for my own good!!!

Sounds like SU is only concerned with THEIR bottom line, not their demo`s.
It got changed to "freedom of speech" . And informed demos are not bothered by this change since their bottom line is protected by it.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:40 AM   #381
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampintoo View Post
Wow. SU seems to be following the national trend - if there's a problem restrict personal freedom and over regulate it to death. Instead, why not step up creativity, address pricing and products if necessary and really compete with the other companies they feel are a threat and give demos freedom to develop their own business as they see fit? There are demos (probably mostly hobby demos) that have other goals than just making the big bucks. I have to question whether SU no longer wants to support those kinds of a demos. This restricting of personal online activities is shocking to me.
Yep.. I'm with you on this one.. I think it's potentially a violation of our first amendment rights to restrict personal blogs, facebook, etc. And, as you said, it's in keeping with 'current trends' in our government. I'll bet there are HUGE legal issues to come with this one.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:42 AM   #382
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOlsakovsky View Post

Challenge anyone who thinks the change is unreasonable to go to sites like Scor-Pal, Michaels, Martha and others and see if there is marketing of other competing (competing being the key word) craft companies on them. I would also challenge folks on the forums here to read the SCS forum rules about advertising products. These types of rules are not new to SU or any other craft company. It is simply not fair or informed to come down on SU for this.

Your references to check those websites is exactly the same as the SU! website, you don't find them advertising anything but what they sell, same as SU! The SU! website is devoted to SU! So that comparison is out the window.

SCS is NOT an SU! site nor is anyone's personal blog, FB, MySpace, email, etc. unless SU! is footing the bill, which they haven't done or intend to do.

This is where most of the grumbling is coming from, SU! feeling as if they have the right to control the who, what, where, and how we post on our personal sites or emails.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:44 AM   #383
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothermars View Post
Exactly. Instead of doing it better than the other guy, they are adding restrictions to demonstrators' creative business avenues. I have never understood why SU has not upgraded the home website to have a gallery as good as splitcoast. My upline used to tell new customers worried about coming up with ideas to become a demonstrator to have access to the demonstrator idea gallery. Yeah, and see what, maybe three cards using a specific stamp set, as opposed to five hundred on SCS? Really? Don't take demonstrators away from SCS; do it better than SCS. Don't say I can't purchase monoadhesive from someone else; make monoadhesive available at a better price.
Yep... mono adhesive at $1.99 without shipping expense vs. SU's adhesive at 4.95 per refill.... plus shipping. That paid for a few bonuses at SU alone!!
Old 09-02-2009, 10:44 AM   #384
Stazon Splitcoast

Respectfully DOlsakovsky, there isn't negativity here. There are people stating what they understand, what they don't understand, asking questions and pointing out answers.

Odd that you would want to continue to participate in negativity.

And if informed demos aren't bothered by it why are SU bothering to issue a clarification?

I have no issues with SU specifically, I do have issues with personal rights infringement. I would be questioning these policies no matter who made them.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:45 AM   #385
Proud Fan Club Member

[quote=peggy-sue;15036584]I just called SU demo support and they will be clarifying in a couple of hours on their website. This is what I was told by ds....We just can't link to other sales. Hobby demos are the meat and bones of Stampin Up. They do not want to get rid of us. Nothing changes for me because I am not on a design team or have a blog. We can all still play at SCS. We can still have a link to our dbws under our siggy. [quote]

It's fine for you as a SU demo to take advantage of the world-wide popularity of Splitcoaststampers to sell SU on your business web site, but don't you dare send anyone back to SCS?? I really don't see the balance in that.

My Blog: Confessions of a Left-Brained Stamper
Design Team Member - Kitchen Sink Stamps
Devoted Fan Club Member since 2005

Last edited by allee's; 09-02-2009 at 10:54 AM..
Old 09-02-2009, 10:47 AM   #386
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I like your upbeat post I do want to point out though that I believe SU! does not advertise here. Any ads you see are associated with companies such as Google. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure SU! does not make any financial advertising arrangements with SCS.
I didn't know about this. I've seen SU ads here and assumed SU paid for advertising here ~ could be wrong about that but it makes no difference to me. Weren't there even banner ads?? I don't see why SU wouldn't advertise here. Paid advertising is a whole different thing from the rest of the discussion, I think.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:50 AM   #387
Die Cut Diva

Ok, so I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but I did read the Q&A about the IDA from the link in the original post. I have really never been a fan of SU products. I do use them, but find there are a lot of other companies that have products of comparable quality for lower prices. I just started using su products this year, but when the new catalogue came out, I decided that they aren't really interested in keeping me as a Canadian customer. This new IDA is furthering the hard feelings people are starting to have about this company. It also re-affirms my decision to not buy from them anymore. I think treating their customers shabbily and now their own sales force is going to do more damage than they think. They've had their heads in the clouds (or the sand or up their butts - whichever) for a long time and I think SU is in for a big fiscal surprise. Really, who do they think they're kidding by trying to dictate what people do in their personal lives? It would be a different matter if their prices were competitive and they offered every conceivable stamping and scrapbooking product available in their product line. But that's not the case. Their standpoint doesn't fit in with the true meaning of "marketplace competition".

Thats all I have to say except this: Have any of the demo's investigated the legal term "unconscionable contract"?
Old 09-02-2009, 10:51 AM   #388
Stazon Splitcoast

Whether paid by way of google or directly, all advertising $$ go to SCS. So even if the SU ads aren't placed here directly by SU, the money SU pays google to place those ads still goes to SCS.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:52 AM   #389
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOlsakovsky View Post
First, since SCS no longer has a focus on SU only, I won't be steering customers here anymore. I used to tell everyone about how great this site was and how inspiring. I saw the suggestion to not tell customers about SCS in another post today and think it's a great one. (Friend, I'd like to give you credit but I've forgotten your name.) Personally, however, I will continue to come to SCS and appreciate it as a resource for ideas on the SU galleries only (for a long time, have set my browser to go there only).

There is just too much negativity here, particularly about SU. Why would I want my customers to see that?

Second decision I made was to discontinue my subscription to the Weekly Inkling since it no longer focuses on SU products. Understand what SCS is trying to do but since it was bought and broadened to have other stamp companies, and since the forums are so negative, will limit my use. And the ads are getting annoying.
WOW... are you so loyal to SU that you're blind to all the great stamping products on the market? I feel bad for your customers... limiting stampers (both experienced and newbys) to seeing only SU products seems like a disservice to them IMO.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:53 AM   #390
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm glad to see some of the demos who are okay with all of this joining in the conversation. It just seems to me that if SU would concede that demos reserve the right to maintain a personal blog for whatever purposes they choose, there would be no question about the new IDA. Wherever you promote SU, promote SU only. I think they overcomplicate things. Betsy and Tracy, Belinda and Karen -- glad to see you here .
Old 09-02-2009, 10:53 AM   #391
Stazon Splitcoast

As for first ammendment rights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
The First Amendment to the United States Constitution is the part of the Bill of Rights that expressly prohibits the Congress from making laws "respecting an establishment of religion", prohibiting the free exercise of religion, infringing the freedom of speech, infringing the freedom of the press, limiting the right to peaceably assemble, or limiting the right to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
Last I heard, SU isn't congress , so they can require demos to abide by certain requirements in exchange for the benefits SU provides.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:59 AM   #392
Stazon Splitcoast

I hope we don't see any SU bashing here. SU is a fine company and provides an opportunity for additional income to many families. They have good products. No... maybe not something for everyone, or suited to everyone's taste, or one-stop shopping, and not one of us expects any one company to be that.

I'm not the boss of anyone but maybe we could keep the discussion, if it continues, focused on the new independent demonstrator's agreement, and not a criticism of products. I think that discussion is best held separately if at all.

(putting down a puddle of water for the impending firestorm of criticism: Yes, there's a connection between their products and business practices. I get it. We all know they aren't perfect and we make choices to purchase or not based on many factors.)
Old 09-02-2009, 11:02 AM   #393
Cardstock Collector

To Jeri Cyr: the new policy means SU will have to come off of Splitcoast-is that really what you want? SU is going to lose a lot more than demonstrators with this new policy.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:05 AM   #394
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I just read a post by someone who spoke to DS (Demonstrator Support) that SU! will be issuing a clarification later on today. Again, not realizing the impact their decision will have on so many, not planning or foreseeing for any out-lash by demos and customer alike, and more importantly, not thinking outside of their bubble has left them in a place where they have to do damage control.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:05 AM   #395
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfickler View Post
To Jeri Cyr: the new policy means SU will have to come off of Splitcoast-is that really what you want? SU is going to lose a lot more than demonstrators with this new policy.
It does not. Where do get this?? Good grief.

Demos and anyone else will still be able to upload SU projects here and share in the gallery, and God bless them, I hope the team maintains the SU galleries just as always. SCS is being unnecessarily dragged into this in ways that don't make any sense.

Demos should refrain from linking sites such as this regardless of their personal activity at the site.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:06 AM   #396
Hardware Hotshot

[QUOTE=11Valerie11;15036633]Your references to check those websites is exactly the same as the SU! website, you don't find them advertising anything but what they sell, same as SU! The SU! website is devoted to SU! So that comparison is out the window.

SCS is NOT an SU! site nor is anyone's personal blog, FB, MySpace, email, etc. unless SU! is footing the bill, which they haven't done or intend to do.

This is where most of the grumbling is coming from, SU! feeling as if they have the right to control the who, what, where, and how we post on our personal sites or emails.[/QUOTE]

Maybe SU! will address this. I think they should.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:06 AM   #397
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Valerie11 View Post
I just read a post by someone who spoke to DS (Demonstrator Support) that SU! will be issuing a clarification later on today. Again, not realizing the impact their decision will have on so many, not planning or foreseeing for any out-lash by demos and customer alike, and more importantly, not thinking outside of their bubble has left them in a place where they have to do damage control.
Classic SU business practice. It's a pattern they have repeated over and over again. I always wonder how that cannot be just too frustrating for demos.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:08 AM   #398
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty14 View Post
I am going to put my 2 cents in here, although I have not finished reading all the posts.

I have never been a SU! demonstrator but I bought their products for about 8 years or so. The last straw for me was when they added the 7% tax on the 10% shipping and handling because I am in NJ! That means I pay the 10% for shipping and handling, 7% sales tax on that,( like a "punishment for living here , although I know it is a legal thing) and then the regular 7% NJ sales tax! That all adds up! I order from all around the USA and nobody else charges me that extra 7% on their shipping.

Don't "crucify" me! This is "OPINION TIME!" RIGHT?
Do you really think SU is keeping your sales tax on shipping? They collect that tax and turn it over to the state as required by law. Protest to your state legislators if you are upset about it! I don't like it either but I don't blame companies for following their legal obligations to collect sales tax.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:12 AM   #399
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Oh please... as Betsy just said...

common sense people

Do you honestly think SU! cares if you have a blog link on your side bar of family member who may mention other paper crafting companies.

SU! has a FUNDAMENTAL problem and they are trying to address it.

If you want to nit pick the words - fine - but your missing the big picture.
But isn't that what their policy says? If my best friend sells CTMH she can't be my friend on facebook anymore because she posts about crops and CTMH sales and stuff in her updates....

If I was a demo and had a SU! blog, I can totally understand it, but saying I can't have friends on FB is reaching too far IMO and the fact that some of the demos on here think that isn't a big deal scares me.

I can honestly say that I am glad I didn't sign up last month because I wouldn't want to have to think about this stuff and I only have 3 posts on my blog. I just wouldn't want to deal with this stuff.

Also, as a rep for another DSA company that is non-craft related. They have restrictions on being able to sell for another DSA company and they have restrictions on what events you can post on your company sponsored website, but they have no rules or guidelines about FB, my spcace, twitter, etc. That is the only part of this I don't agree with.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:23 AM   #400
Crimping Master

This makes me know for sure that I don't want to be a demo. I've been very happy with the SU products that I have and will continue to order from them through my demo. But I value my complete independence to use, share and talk about whatever product I like without any reservations or conflicts of interest.