Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-12-2015, 05:11 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting a You Tube channel for disabled stampers

I'd like some input into a You Tube channel I'm starting in the next couple of weeks. I have severe rheumatoid arthritis and especially in my hands. I have trouble using a LOT of different products crafters take for granted and figured there are other people like me out there. I'd like to offer tips and techniques and show how to use products differently and try to encourage disabled individuals to go outside of their comfort zone to try something new. If you have any ideas or suggestions, I'd appreciate them. Although I have purchased a lot through this forum, I've never used the other parts of it such as this so I may make some foolish errors in responding to people. I'm not even sure how to follow this thread once it is posted unless you PM me, which I would be great with. So please give this some thought and let me know what you think. Sandy Parker
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2015, 06:35 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Sandy – I'm also a disabled stamper and I think this is a great idea! I'm left-handed in addition to having weak clumsy hands, so you can imagine how challenging using some crafting tools is

But this hobby is so healing and gives me such joy, I am very happy that I've been able to continue doing it, with adaptations and tools that make things more convenient. I'd love to see a focus on tools that help us be more precise even if we have a hard time with fine motor movement (the Fiskars Stamp Press, spring-loaded scissors, the MISTI stamp positioner etc.), products that have easy to open lids (Versafine ink pads) and products that help us keep things straight and secure while cutting or stamping, like magnetic cutting pads, painter's tape, sticky mats, tweezers, etc.

Looking forward to subscribing to your YouTube channel!

PS by starting this thread you're automatically subscribed to it, and you will get email notification when somebody has answered.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2015, 07:23 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

Sandy, I wish I had some ideas to give you. Poppydarling had a wonderful idea with the MISTI; however, if you mainly use wood-mounted stamps, the MISTI wouldn't be of much help. You can use cling-mounts and clear stamps with it.

Can't wait to see your videos - I will definitely be a subscriber!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2015, 07:46 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

What a fabulous idea! I'm not disabled, but I can see where this would be AMAZINGLY helpful for those who are! If I think of anything that would be useful or informative, I'll be sure to send it your way! I'm not sure that you're automatically subscribed to this thread because you started it (I've started several and never received an notifications unless I subscribed, but maybe it's different now), but it's easy enough to do - just click on "thread tools" at the top right-hand corner of the posts, and select "subscribe to this thread" from the drop-down menu. Good luck on your venture, and make sure to post when it's up and running so we can scope it out!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2015, 09:28 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi Sandy! I'll be a subscriber to your YouTube channel. I have both osteo arthritis and psoriatic arthritis and some days my hands don't work at all and I drop everything I touch. Poppydarling had some great suggestions and I've used spring-loaded scissors for years, love my MISTI and think all ink pads should be designed like Versafine! I've given away all my Stampin' Up ink pads since they were much too hard for me to handle and I'm very choosy when I buy any inks now.

On good hand days I use my Big Kick and even fussy cut - doing things for a small amount of time and then taking a break to read for awhile. On bad hand days I spend time in the gallery here getting ideas or putting together kits to make cards on days when I can. Diane

Last edited by DianeinSparks; 10-12-2015 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2015, 10:39 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

I think that sounds like a brilliant idea! I see my MIL struggling with arthritis and have realised how severely it impacts what she can do with her hands. Go for it.

On the subscribing, Sue and Poppy are both right but from different points of view ;-). Each person can choose in their user dashboard as to whether they want to receive automatic notifications for any thread they have posted in or not. I believe that the default setting is to receive them, so it sounds as if Poppy ( and hopefully you) are on the default, whereas Sue, like me, has turned that off and has to manually subscribe to any thread for which she wants to get updates automatically.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2015, 04:37 AM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

I don't get automatic noifications (at least I don't think I do) and it looks like I am a subscriber to this thread so when you say notifications, does that mean it should look like I have messages? Sandy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2015, 05:06 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

When you subscribe to a thread, you have a drop-down menu to choose how you want to receive the notifications: No notification/instant updates/daily updates/weekly updates. All of the notifications go to your email. If you're not getting the notifications, go to your subscriptions and see which selection you made and change it, if necessary. (You get to your subscriptions by clicking on your user name at the very top of any page on Splitcoast - that takes you to your account).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2015, 10:01 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by slparkerView Post
I have trouble using a LOT of different products crafters take for granted and figured there are other people like me out there. I'd like to offer tips and techniques and show how to use products differently and try to encourage disabled individuals to go outside of their comfort zone to try something new.
Sandy, I think this is a WONDERFUL idea! I have always had a heart for the ability challenged, whether those challenges are physical, mental or emotional. These days, I am These days, I am more in awe than ever by the abilities and coping techniques used by people with permanent disabilities.

Early January, I broke an ankle. I thought it would be a simple fix but the severity of the break, my advanced age and my extra pounds made it difficult to get back on my feet. It took two surgeries, four months in a wheelchair, three weeks on crutches and three months using a cane to get around. I still limp and have difficulty stepping off a curb. But I will never again take for granted the simple things like washing myself, shampooing my hair, fixing a meal and getting on and off the toilet.

Things you might take a look at is low-height craft storage, storage tips (heavier things at waist level, lighter items above shoulders and below the waist, etc.), electronic cutters, forgiving medium, free-form artist styles, and maybe some basic tools for the disabled that can be used in the craft room. I could not have survived without my Grip N Grab and now that I can stand and walk I still use it to get my ribbon rings off the pegboard.

Because the term "disability" is so broad, you might want to consider your target audience and adjust your broadcasts accordingly. It may help to contact a few agencies, tell them what you plan to do and ask them about the challenges experienced by people with certain disabilities. For example, a person with arthritic hands will likely have different challenges than someone with an amputated arm, multiple sclerosis or two broken legs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2015, 03:13 AM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

Default subscribing to You Tube

What a great idea for disabled people--me included! Please tell me how to subscribe to your new site.
Thanks for such a great idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2015, 03:51 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

I LOVE your idea too, I would subscribe. I try to visit with a lady on a regular basis and she has MS (now she only has 1 hand that she can use and even that is a struggle for her). I wondered about taking some acrylic paints with me next time I go and she could make an abstract background. (see mimi bondi's youtube video's - she uses this technique for her art journal but I don't see why it couldn't be used for a card or wall hanging on a piece of card board with a saying written on it). I would love to have your input on the acrylic paint idea - is it something that you think you could work with?

I'm on my way to heaven, cause Jesus paved the way
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2015, 03:52 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Can you post what your channel will be so I can watch for it?

I'm on my way to heaven, cause Jesus paved the way
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2015, 04:58 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I am a disabled vet and finding scrapbooking and papercrafting has been a Godsend for me. Going into my scraproom on really bad days makes all the difference. However, I was about ready to give up on things like stencils because of the pain in my hands and shoulders from using inks on them when I saw the Groove tool, so I tried it out. When I let it do the work, LOL, it is great! Poppydarling had some great suggestions as well. The Fiskars Stamp Press is another great tool for me. I don't have a Misti, but it looks like it would be helpful on the days when my hands shake.

I only fussycut simple images. I have an ebosser and a Big Shot. I got the ebosser because the Big Shot was beginning to bother me. However, after a couple of years now, I have to push so hard to get the plates into the ebosser, I went back to the Big Shot.

The biggest thing for me in crafting, like everything else, is learning to do it smarter. I want to get the longer magnetic plates for my Big Shot to be able to cut most/all of the dies for my project at once. I've arranged my scraproom so my office chair on wheels can easily get to the various areas without me needing to get up and down.

I'm SO looking forward to your videos. Please let us know where and when to find you on You Tube!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2015, 05:16 AM   #14  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Sandy what a great idea. I too have severe rheumatoid arthritis and would enjoy hearing any tips you may have.

Patti
Fan Club Member RAK Group Member
Chemo Angel, Stampin Up Demonstrator
Scrapbook goal: April 7/10 MAY /5 YTD 32
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2015, 05:41 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by pennydouphView Post
I am a disabled vet and finding scrapbooking and papercrafting has been a Godsend for me. Going into my scraproom on really bad days makes all the difference. However, I was about ready to give up on things like stencils because of the pain in my hands and shoulders from using inks on them when I saw the Groove tool, so I tried it out. When I let it do the work, LOL, it is great! Poppydarling had some great suggestions as well. The Fiskars Stamp Press is another great tool for me. I don't have a Misti, but it looks like it would be helpful on the days when my hands shake.

I only fussycut simple images. I have an ebosser and a Big Shot. I got the ebosser because the Big Shot was beginning to bother me. However, after a couple of years now, I have to push so hard to get the plates into the ebosser, I went back to the Big Shot.

The biggest thing for me in crafting, like everything else, is learning to do it smarter. I want to get the longer magnetic plates for my Big Shot to be able to cut most/all of the dies for my project at once. I've arranged my scraproom so my office chair on wheels can easily get to the various areas without me needing to get up and down.

I'm SO looking forward to your videos. Please let us know where and when to find you on You Tube!
I didn't know about the Groove tool you mentioned is I did a search and found this YouTube video that shows it very well!
http://youtu.be/e0LwrkwUiHY
Thanks for telling about it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2015, 01:32 PM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I think that sounds like a wonderful idea too! I have always understood that the more you do fine motor, the longer you keep it-or keep up the level of it. Seems to me this is a way to do it and not even think of it like that vs formal exercises.

If you had the ability to...you might think about trying to work with groups at centers or even just to observe and you might see what challenges they face to address on your YT. Or as suggested talk to rehab staff.

I never heard of the groove tool either so thanks for that vid...Julie actually does a lot of classes for my LS and they always sell out. I can see why-she seems very amiable and upbeat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2015, 01:42 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

My son is disabled, so I know there are catalogs and online resources that have specialty scissors, reachers, writing aids, grippers (for opening jars and bottles) and other tools that might be helpful for crafting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2015, 02:22 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I think that sounds like a wonderful idea too! I have always understood that the more you do fine motor, the longer you keep it-or keep up the level of it. Seems to me this is a way to do it and not even think of it like that vs formal exercises.
I was going for physical therapy and had to laugh when the therapist gave me a ball of yellow clay to squeeze with my hands. Crafting every day exercises my hands for free, and it's a lot more fun Wonder what they charged insurance for that little ball of clay...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2015, 03:28 PM   #19  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

OP - Kudos on your idea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2015, 07:04 PM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

bump
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2015, 07:08 PM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

Default another ? related to You Tube Channel for disabled

How important will it be to use current Stampin Up stamps? Isn't some of it about the technique as compared to the actual stamp? If I am using an older, let's say rose stamp, couldn't the stamper use any other rose stamp or floral stamp or will this discourage people from watching the channel? I have a lot of stamps I absolutely love that I believe are timeless but don't want to use them if you think people will get frustrated. On the other hand, you can find almost any Stampin' Up retired stamp on either this site, ebay or etsy. Advice? Sandy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2015, 07:11 PM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

Ok, so that didn't work. I tried to move my next question to you to the top but it didn't do anything other than write the word bump. I'm still trying to get the hang of this. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2015, 08:21 PM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

How important will it be to use current Stampin Up stamps? Isn't some of it about the technique as compared to the actual stamp? If I am using an older, let's say rose stamp, couldn't the stamper use any other rose stamp or floral stamp or will this discourage people from watching the channel? I have a lot of stamps I absolutely love that I believe are timeless but don't want to use them if you think people will get frustrated. On the other hand, you can find almost any Stampin' Up retired stamp on either this site, ebay or etsy. Advice? Sandy
Not having the same stamp as a person in the video would not discourage me at all. May even give me different ideas/ways to use my stamps.

Another thing you may want to touch upon is the mental challenges we face after a disability changes what we are able to do. I had a stroke and subsequent brain surgery almost 4 years ago. I can do almost everything I did craft-wise before, but the outcome is not the same. It takes a lot longer to do things now, but I have learned to enjoy the journey, however long it takes. I have had to adjust my ideas of how things should look. But I have learned to like how I do things now and how they look. Art journaling helps as I can be crafty and sloppy at the same time. Then I can save my "near-perfection" for my card making.

Good Luck and I look forward to your videos.
Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2015, 09:15 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't think it's at all important to use current Stampin' Up stamps or any particular brand of stamps, current or retired. I personally have very few Stampin' Up stamps in my stash of many hundreds [almost 30 years worth]. Whatever image you use could be just a suggestion and people could try the technique with a stamp they have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2015, 12:06 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with Diane. It's not important to use any brand, current or retired. The important thing is the techniques and various ways your viewers might achieve a specific look.

The people that you see in videos using current Stampin' Up materials are most likely Stampin' Up demonstrators who are using their videos to show off the products they sell in hopes that their viewers will rush out and buy the items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2015, 05:44 AM   #26  
Cardstock Collector

I think, both physically and psychologically speaking, that "working with what you have" will be an important theme to bring to your viewers. This is how/why we develop coping mechanisms in the first place, and this is especially true of crafty/tinker types.

So, definitely use your retired stamp sets! "Work with what you have"!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2015, 08:46 AM   #27  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

How important will it be to use current Stampin Up stamps? Isn't some of it about the technique as compared to the actual stamp? If I am using an older, let's say rose stamp, couldn't the stamper use any other rose stamp or floral stamp or will this discourage people from watching the channel? I have a lot of stamps I absolutely love that I believe are timeless but don't want to use them if you think people will get frustrated. On the other hand, you can find almost any Stampin' Up retired stamp on either this site, ebay or etsy. Advice?
I think it's good to mention what aspect(s) of the stamp help create the outcome. Then, people can look in their own stash to see if they have something similar.

For instance, in a recent video, Kristina Werner was coloring on stamps with Gelatos. She pointed out that the technique works best with a stamp that is mostly an outline, without a lot of solid image. I tried it with the only outline stamp that I own and it worked pretty well, but not perfectly. So I can decide if I like the technique enough to invest in different types of stamps to do it.

I think adaptations and approaches are more important on this type of channel than particular stamps or supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2015, 10:04 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

I agree with the eBosser. No more cranking! I also recommend the Cricut Explore. You can design on a computer or iPad to cut detailed images. You can also print images and cut them out. I was so impressed with Close to my Heart cartridges with matching stamps that I became a consultant. I am having a great time making cards without the carpal tunnel getting worse.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2015, 10:26 PM   #29  
Cardstock Collector

Red face

Great idea! There are so many types of disabilities to consider. I believe most people think of physical disabilities....however, my disability is my very low vision. I can no longer drive (can't pass the eye test at my low vision specialist's office) but still love to make cards. I have 8 grandkids (all boys...young men now) so I make lots of masculine cards. have a "studio" that has been put together from odds and ends, and when I'm there I can escape my other problems (I'm recovering from my second knee replacement.)

My eyes no longer focus properly, so detailed coloring and cutting are now off limits. I have given away or sold many of my beautiful detailed stamps that I could no longer use. I can no longer go to classes at the local stores, but I watch lots of online videos (and can't resist buying the new products they demonstrate. But fortunately for me, dies became so popular and they have been a life-saver, along with my embossing folders and stencils. I can't use templates because of the cutting issues .However I have also been able to create some great cards with beautiful patterned papers.

I would love to hear if there are any others of you out there who are struggling with my type of disability and might have some "tips and tricks" to help me. My cards aren't always perfect, but there's no doubt that they are hand made (with love). I have never uploaded any of them,however I do scan them into my compute,, and maybe one day I might get around to putting up a small gallery.

I'll look forward to seeing your YouTube videos.

Judy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2015, 07:32 AM   #30  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I totally agree- a rose is a rose. If you say...."use any flower you have'....it takes any perceived "I need that one to do it" pressure off.

And with Poppy about pointing out what feature of the stamp is what is making it work with the technique. Maybe they dont need a rose at all...it could be a hot air balloon or whatever.

You might also suggest where they can get good weight pre-cut cards/postcards so they dont have to deal with cutting.

LOL on the clay. So true. I keep a Pinky ball near the TV seat and I squeeze it to keep up grip strength while I watch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2015, 08:19 AM   #31  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 325 Likes on 228 Posts

Saying hello. Great idea for a YouTube channel. Keep us updated!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2015, 08:50 AM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancewithuView Post
Great idea! There are so many types of disabilities to consider. I believe most people think of physical disabilities....however, my disability is my very low vision.
Judy, have you looked into a Silhouette or Scan & Cut? You can print images and the machines will cut them out for you. I purchased a Silhouette Portrait for about $180. (10 dies?)

I also recommend a Stella lamp. They are expensive but amazingly bright without generating heat. http://www.amazon.com/Stella-Lightin...=stella+lights

I have also seen lots of hand-free magnifiers. See Magnifiers | Binoculars | Independent Living Aids

On the other hand, maybe there are some crafters in your area who would consider collaborating with you. They could color and fussy cut and you could
stamp and emboss. If you made 2 cards, you could each have one. Just a thought. I would check on meetup.com.

Hope this is helpful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2015, 04:09 AM   #33  
Glitter Queen

Well, I learned a lot of things here! First, how to subscribe to a thread. Thanks for that info.! Next, and just as important, is the information here for those with disabilities. I have arthritis also, so I am thrilled that others have given their input on that here, and can't wait to see the You Tube postings. When I have difficulties, I do a few things which sometimes help. If I know ahead of time that I am going to have a couple of dedicated hours to "play" then I will take an aspirin (just one for now seems to help). Having the right tools close by also helps. My tweezers are a huge help, as are my large craft scissors. Sometimes the small snips are just too difficult. I also try to have some distraction, as in TV or music. If I have a distraction along with my crafting, then sometimes I can be distracted enough to "work through the pain". I also try to plan projects that don't use those big stamps, as I just can't get my hands to hold them well enough. Thanks for starting this post, if I think of any more tips I will jump back in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2015, 09:22 PM   #34  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buried TreasuresView Post
My son is disabled, so I know there are catalogs and online resources that have specialty scissors, reachers, writing aids, grippers (for opening jars and bottles) and other tools that might be helpful for crafting.
Thanks for your ideas! I have many magnifiers for reading and crafting, and couldn't live without them. I have several OttLites which are very bright but do put out heat...especially the floor one I use for general reading. I am no familiar with the Stella lights, ut will look into them. Thanks so much for your input!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2015, 10:03 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

The Groove Tool is amazing! Buy extra sponges so you can have one for reds, one for greens etc. Really great tool.
Reply With Quote Likes