Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-25-2011, 06:06 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Over

I used to do a lot of stamping, as well as counted cross stitching and making jewelry. I enjoyed them all, but about 15 years ago I had really limited time and space, and focused on the jewelry because it was becoming profitable. If got rid of all my other craft stuff, except for a full set of Prismacolor pencils, a set of 72 Derwent watercolor pencils, and my Fiskars 12x12 rotary paper cutter.

Now, because of nerve damage to my hands from diabetes I'm not able to make jewelry any longer, and started making cards again about a year ago. I've gotten a Cuttlebug and quite a few embossing folders and a few Cuttlebug dies. At first I didn't think I was going to be able to stamp, but I'm finding I'm able to do ok with good quality (deeply etched) stamps and good ink. I've acquired some stamps, so far all sentiments.

Funds are tight at the moment, but I expect to have between $1000 and $1500 in about 3 months to "invest" in tools and supplies. Of course I'm making a list of stamps I want, I plan to get some Nestabilities dies, and fill in my collection of Distress inks.

My question is, what else should I consider? What tools or supplies are at the top of your list of things you just can't do without?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2011, 06:41 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Hi Dianne!

Nice to meet you!! I have nerve damage too from cysts in my wrists and carpal tunnel so I can really relate to your post.

Like you, I used to do cross-stitch and did many others crafts too. Now I mostly make cards and scrapbook.

Having the right tools does make it easier and more enjoyable!! Your list you've got started sounds great!! I got a bigshot for Christmas and have slowly been adding some nesties and embossing folders. I have quite a few stamps too, if I mess up I just stamp again! lol

Another tool I just got is the Stamp-a-ma-jig....it helps you line up your stamps. It's less than $10 so you might check it out. I also have a crop-a-dile...it punches holes in all kinds of things and is so much easier to use with my lack of strength in my hands. You can use it to set eyelets too.

Not sure if you have a scoring tool yet, but I have the martha stewart score board and a full size bone folder (don't like the small one much that's with the board). You can use it to make envelopes, boxes, cards...just all sorts of things!!

Do you do any heat embossing? I bought embossing powder and a heat gun...it adds a lot to the cards I make.

Have fun getting your shopping list ready!!

Tammy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2011, 07:05 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I used to do a lot of heat embossing, that would be good to try again. I wondered if a Stamp-a-ma-Jig would be helpful. What about the glitter tray Inkadinkadoo sells? I have glitter everywhere!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2011, 07:07 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Oh, and the crop-a-dile was something I wondered about too. Thanks so much for the suggestions!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2011, 08:17 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Dianne, I would forget about the glitter tray. I don't have that particular brand, but I have one similar. The static caused by the plastic tray makes the glitter cling to it. It really makes a mess and the tray is difficult to clean. I would just use a sheet of paper folded in half - very easy to pour your glitter back into the bottle. Some people here at SCS recommend coffee filters, but I can't remember if they're using them for glitter or for embossing powder.

Tammy is right on the money about a scoring board. I have the Scor-Pal and the one by Martha Stewart. I used a Michael's coupon and got the one by MS for $10. I prefer the Scor-Pal, but SCSers are pretty much divided between the two.

I wonder if you would be able to use an ATG? If you're not sure what I'm talking about, here's a link: Tape Dispenser Guns
I have the red one and absolutely love it. Michael's now carries them also (in pink), so you might could check one out in the store to see how it fits in your hands. It may seem bulky at first, but doesn't take long to get used to. And the money I've saved on adhesive!!! For tiny areas, I use the Quickie Glue Pen; here's a link: Quickie Glue

Good quality paper will help also. I use the Stamper's Select White by Papertrey Ink; others recommend Gina K's base-weight paper and Neenah Solar Classic.

If you like to color stamped images, there are several mediums out there. Copics are highly recommended, but are expensive. Sharpies and Bic Mark-Its are a fairly good substitute. Several brands of colored pencils are available; I personally use Prismacolors. Watercolors: I have the Derwent Inktense pencils and their regular watercolor pencils also.

If you're interested in the Copics, the best ink to use with them is Memento (no smudging, plus these are the best inks to use with clear stamps.)

The hand-held Cropadile might be too difficult for you to handle, but the table-top version would work great.

That's all I can think of at the moment - several things to think about! And welcome back to stamping and to Splitcoast. Everyone here is so helpful - I can't imagine what I did with my time before I found this site!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 04:44 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've found that a regular paper coffee filter works best to contain glitter. For some reason the glitter doesn't stick to the paper. I keep one or two with my glitter and embossing powder. I'd skip the glitter tray too.

How fun for you! Don't forget ribbon, buttons, bling and colors!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 05:13 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

DianneB1030.......How ever you're coming up with that amount of money, I certainly wouldn't consider spending it all on craft tools and supplies. You'd end up making purchases that you would regret later. Spend a small amount each time you find you want something. Really only you can decide what you want based on your style of card crafting.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 07:00 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Carpal Tunnel syndrome in both hands so I can relate to some of what you're going through with your hands. It can be frustrating!
If you like the distressed look I recommend SU's Cutter kit which has a distressing tool that makes roughing up the edges a breeze! I'm still OK with punches especially those I can lay on my table to punch on days when my hands are number than usual for holding things. My paper snips are a big help with cutting as they are so sharp. I tend to use more stamps that require less coloring as the days when I'm numb I find it frustrating to try to color, but I find that I can color best with Water color Crayons and an aqua pen...they are much more forgiving and if you're outside the lines it is OK! I really love my Big Shot for die cutting and for dry embossing....the embedded/inset embossing technique is good for me too....lots of WOW with a technique that is easy on my hands.
One of the best things you can do since you have a good amount of money to start with is to give yourself an organized area to stamp in. Get good storage and set things up well from the start and you'll enjoy your crafting much more! Also buying color families with ink, markers and paper together will give you lots of options for techniques. Good luck and enjoy stocking up your craft room! Gail
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 07:35 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks so much for the good input. The last few years have been tough, and to find I can be creative again doing something I love is wonderful. Of course I'm not looking to just go out and throw my money around, but it seems to me that $1000 may not go all that far looking at the prices of stamps, Nestabilities, ink pads and other tools I know I need. While no one else can tell me what I want I appreciate the suggestions for what things to think about.

Gail, what is the embedded/inset embossing technique?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 08:29 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
DianneB1030.......How ever you're coming up with that amount of money, I certainly wouldn't consider spending it all on craft tools and supplies. You'd end up making purchases that you would regret later. Spend a small amount each time you find you want something. Really only you can decide what you want based on your style of card crafting.

Patti
Well said. Start with the basics and build from there. Good ink, nice cardstock, quality scissors, a stamp cleaner that works...

"Fearless is not the absence of fear. Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you." (Taylor Swift)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 08:33 AM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

Are you cardmaking AND scrapbooking? Nobody mentioned a Cricut. Oh, how I love mine! I split its uses between scrapping and cardmaking. I have made some adorable cards combining Cricut cuts and stamping.

If I was starting over, I would buy coordinating cardstock, ink, and ribbon from Stampin' Up. In the SU catalog, they suggest some "getting started colors" in the accessories section of the catalog. I would pick 5 or 6 "must have" stamp sets. This, along with the basics of adhesive, paper cutter, and good scissors will go a long way. AND I'm sure you would have plenty of your budget left for future purchases.

Once you get past the basics shop for some punches. If you haven't been around papercrafting for a while you will be plesantly suprised at all the punches. The punches that punch the edge of your card are especially nice. I would get a circle punch, a scallop circle, and a couple decorative edge punches first.

Though we love to support our SU consultants, consider making your purchases on ebay for older sets. Oftentimes, you can get older sets for $10 or less. Check out craigslist in your area too.

Have fun!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 10:01 AM   #12  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I tend to agree with Patti here. Don't jump too quickly because you will end up making purchases that you will regret later. I think starting with the basics is probably best. Paper cutter, Adhesive, ink pads, markers, card stock, stamps, etc. Then there are also the little things we sometimes forget like a bone folder, grid paper, stamp cleaner, scrub pad, glue dots, dimensionals, scissors, etc.

You can slowly build your collection from there. You can always purchase punches, embellishments- ribbons, brads, etc. as you go along.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 10:09 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

I used to volunteer at our local senior center, now I more than qualify to be there. For the people with nerve damage, I found that the favorite things were the Rubber Stamp Tapestry stamps. They are on pegs, which are easy to hold, and we use the small inkpads to ink them. Everyone produced beautiful cards, and there is no detail cutting or coloring to do. I either used a template to draw the basic shapes, or punched circles or ovals. Perhaps you could try one set, which should be about $15, and see how you like them. They have many designs, each set is different.
rubberstamptapestry.com
I just like their stamps, I'm not affiliated with the company in any way. Eileen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 11:47 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have a hard time with stamps, have you considered digital stamps? They are way more affordable than physical stamps most of the time and you can print off a whole sheet and colour. I would also recommend some basic supplies such as cardstock, inks, good adhesive (like an ATG). If you like the matchy-matchy stuff you could get SU or PTI stuff. I think some of the other big companies, like Basic Grey, also match/coordinate with Bazzill cardstocks as well. If your going to splurge, I would also invest in some Copic markers. I love mine and use them on about 90% of my projects. I would only pick up embellishements such as ribbon, flowers, rhinestones as you need so that you can see what sorts of things you'll like. I have tons of stuff that I thought I would use and went crazy and hardly use them (like rhinestones).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

For markers, there are several less expensive, which is nice on a limited budget. Shinhan Touch Twin, Promarkers, Dick Blick studio marker. Promarkers are a very good price and their barrel is larger than most other markers, which maybe easier to hold considering nerve damage.
Like mentioned above, I also have found my Cricut and Sure Cuts A Lot software to be a huge money saver, I am able to make a lot of my own embellishments. However due to Provocraft suing third party software, many people are getting different brand cutters which embrace using third party software. Cricut cartridges can be very expensive. Programs like Sure Cuts A Lot let you use svgs downloaded (many are free or low cost) from the Internet or you can create your own designs with another free program called Inkscape and cut them. I never knew there where so many types of personal electronic paper cutters out there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 12:26 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Don't forget that there are other die-cutting machines other than the cricut that may better suit your needs. E-craft by Craftwell, Gazelle, Sillhouette and many others =)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 12:27 PM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by jovian7View Post
For markers, there are several less expensive, which is nice on a limited budget. Shinhan Touch Twin, Promarkers, Dick Blick studio marker. Promarkers are a very good price and their barrel is larger than most other markers, which maybe easier to hold considering nerve damage.
Like mentioned above, I also have found my Cricut and Sure Cuts A Lot software to be a huge money saver, I am able to make a lot of my own embellishments. However due to Provocraft suing third party software, many people are getting different brand cutters which embrace using third party software. Cricut cartridges can be very expensive. Programs like Sure Cuts A Lot let you use svgs downloaded (many are free or low cost) from the Internet or you can create your own designs with another free program called Inkscape and cut them. I never knew there where so many types of personal electronic paper cutters out there!
lol, same line of thought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #18  
Embossing Fanatic

My best advice is to spend some time browsing the gallery here. Write down the products you like seeing on cards. Also read through the "what was I thinking" or "wish I hadn't bought that" threads. For me, my "dumb" impulse purchase is colored paper flowers. They just aren't my personal style even though I admire them on other stampers' cards.

When I first joined here I gave the side eye to folks advocating picking a single company (or two) for paper, ink and embellishment needs. They were right in so many ways though. I've got stacks of patterned paper that don't match a single bit of my card stock. It really simplified things for me when I went to A Muse for my basics.

I may be a minority, but I rarely use my cricut. I'm pretty sure it is going in my yard sale this year LOL! I tend towards simple shapes to accent my stamps. Besides that, I can't keep straight what cuts are in what cartridge. Hauling out the mat and cart and machine for 2 or 3 cuts is annoying to me. So, if you are looking at one of the $$$ die cutters, really work it through in your head.

I now keep a notepad and write down products I see mentioned over and over here. 9 times out of 10, those are the products worth buying. I resisted the ATG for a long time, but now that I have it I kick myself for wasting so much $ on dot runner refills.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 06:24 PM   #19  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 839 Likes on 277 Posts

I won't tell you what I think you should get rather I'll tell you what I have that I love to use.

I use these every time I make a card:
non-stick craft
mat
Martha Stewart Scoreboard- can be purchased at Michael's with a coupon
Tombow Multi liquid glue (white bottle, green caps)
Paper-cutter- guillotine style
Embossing Stylus- I use it with my MS scoreboard.It's easier than using the plastic score toll that comes with it
Quality Ink - I use Stampin' Up! because it can be purchased in color families. They also sell sets of ink spots which are more affordable if you want a lot of colors at once
Quality Card Stock

I think it takes a while for a person to figure out what their style is. But if there is something you really love- flowers for instance then buy a set of flower stamps
If you like whimsical things then buy some stamps that fit that description, etc...

I think the best advice and somebody else also mentioned it, is to look through the SCS galleries and see what you are the most drawn to and start from there.

Then go to the Buy, Sell, Trade forum and see if there are any stamp set there that you would like to get and pay a fraction of the price for. Most people don't post pictures with their listings but most are willing to send you a picture if you ask them about specific sets.

Several people have mentioned Copics but if you already have colored pencils and water-color pencils then I wouldn't worry too much about any type of markers yet.

Happy Stamping! Looking forward to seeing your creations here on SCS sometime in the near future. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 07:09 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianneB1030View Post

Gail, what is the embedded/inset embossing technique?
You basically glue stamped or punched shapes onto a base layer then run it through your machine in an embossing folder with small, close together shapes (my favorite is the Square Lattice Embossing Folder). You end up with a single layer that looks as if the shapes are inlaid into it. Here is the first card that I made using the technique and it has a tutorial link in it. The technique was featured on a challenge recently and they called it embedded embossing so you could check out that gallery too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 07:53 PM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks for everyone's input. I HAVE been making cards for the last year, mostly using dp and 3d embellishments, with rub on sentiments, and as I said in the op, used to do a lot of stamping, so it isn't all new to me, but there's a lot of cool new stuff out there. I was able to get the cuttlebug and some folders and dies (half off at Michael's by the way), but not much else in the way of equipment and supplies like stamping ink and stamps. Now that I know I can still do stamping I want to try getting back into coloring I'll just start small with a couple of stamps and see how it goes. Beadaddict is right, I may want copics down the line, but I want to see what I can do with all these pencils first, I used to be pretty fair with them.

One thing I have to get is a new computer and maybe a laser printer, since I'd like to try digital stamps. This would be out of the budget I mentioned also. Right now I'm using my friend's netbook, but can't use it with my printer, and can't upload any images with it either. Some storage is also going to need to be part of what I look at.

I was't familiar with atg's, but it sounds more practical than the tape runner I've been using. I do need some nestabilities, I got a circle cutter and oval cutter from Fiskars, and just can't use them. I've wondered about a cricut type cutter, but don't think I really need it for cards. A new paper cutter may be in order, mine is over 15 years old, and even changing the blades and cutting mat don't seem to be doing the trick any more.

I did get a pad of versafine since I'm stamping more of my sentiments than using rub ons now. I got a few distress inks, and am really loving blending them for backgrounds. I think I'd use all his colors if I had them. Layering a piece of plain cardstock I've inked with colors to match the dp I'm using to stamp the sentiment is really pretty.

Anyway, hearing what you all love to use will give me a chance to research and check things out before I actually do any shopping. Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 08:49 PM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

...One thing I have to get is a new computer and maybe a laser printer, since I'd like to try digital stamps. ...
You don't necessarily need a laser printer to use digi stamps. I have a Canon MP560 inkjet printer and it works excellent for digi stamps. Right now, digi stamps is about all I use. I use them with my Copics and pencil crayons with oms and I haven't had any of my images smear. It all depends on your paper/ink combination. So the printer you have now may work. If your friend will let you, perhaps you could find an updated driver for the printer for the operating system on the netbook and see if you can get it to print. Might be worth a try before spending money on a printer when you don't have to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 09:11 PM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

The new computer is a definate, but I'd be glad to not have to buy a printer. We've tried to use the netbook with the printer already and weren't able to, but I won't buy a printer before seeing how this printer does with the pencils and gamsol when I get the new 'puter. Thanks!

Free cat hair with every card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 04:03 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Ladies.......If you have a Cricut or Expression, you don't need punches really. There are so many cartridges that have basic shapes, fancy shapes, borders and corner elements you can use instead of buying all the punches. The die cut machines also offer more versatility for changing sizes and a punch can't do that.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 06:58 AM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

[QUOTE=mamaxsix;18247230] I really love my Big Shot for die cutting and for dry embossing....the embedded/inset embossing technique is good for me too....lots of WOW with a technique that is easy on my hands. QUOTE]

That is a great technique, and a beautiful card! Thanks!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 10:33 AM   #26  
Embossing Fanatic

I'm a newbie to cardmaking... and some items I really like and use often are:

Papertreyink stamps and dies - I like that they usually have coordinating dies and stamps- and the dies are quite pocket-friendly and can be easily just $3 for a die! ^_^ I love their Mega mixed messages (or the name is something like that) - it is almost all the sentiments you need for only $24! LoveloveLOVE PTI They have some really great $5 sets too

my Big Shot ^_^ but you mentioned you got a die cutter already so that is great!

Versafine ink cubes.. I don't really need the big pads- so I prefer to buy the cubes. Memento comes in little sets too that is more value for money!

Paper trimmer- I bought a cheap one (it is Fiskars -_-) and it died in two weeks. I suggest something more durable, like the one recommended by many SCS members, the Tonic guillotine one, I ordered one and it is on the way! Beats buying a new cheapy trimmer every 2 weeks and spending a lot more like that.

Cardstock and envelopes from a lovely etsy store called straighthome (just search that in etsy under people and shops) - she has lots of colours and can custom cut them for you, beats buying your own cardstock and slicing them up yourself and creating wastage!

That said, the rest are really up to your individual style! I can't suggest anything about pencils or markers because I personally like to use a lot of lace, paper flowers and stuff like that, lots of shabby things But I hope you have lots of fun shopping- it is nice to pamper yourself now and then If you like, you can tell me what your style is maybe I can suggest more places to you to find stuff! I may be new to stamping and everything, but I am pretty adept at shopping LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #27  
Glitter Queen

I would say take your time with your purchases and buy things with coupons and or on sale. That way you will make your money strech farther and you will have to think through your purchases if you are waiting for a sale. If you like SU stuff you could sign up as a demonstrator, purchase what you like and then let you demonstrator ship expire once you have what you need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #28  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryEileenView Post
I used to volunteer at our local senior center, now I more than qualify to be there. For the people with nerve damage, I found that the favorite things were the Rubber Stamp Tapestry stamps. They are on pegs, which are easy to hold, and we use the small inkpads to ink them. Everyone produced beautiful cards, and there is no detail cutting or coloring to do. I either used a template to draw the basic shapes, or punched circles or ovals. Perhaps you could try one set, which should be about $15, and see how you like them. They have many designs, each set is different.
rubberstamptapestry.com
I just like their stamps, I'm not affiliated with the company in any way. Eileen
If you decide you like Rubber Stamp Tapestry Stamps, Jill is selling 26 sets ( well used) for $120 (including shipping).

Check her out: Jill
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2011, 05:01 AM   #29  
Kookie Creator

At least you are more lucky than me. I have right hand tendon injury and can't stamp at all not to talk about jewellery making and lacemaking. I have problem picking up paper even. You might say use left hand but it just recovered from the same problem not too long ago and can relapse if I am not careful.

Nowadays I can only make cards using already stamped images or digi stamps but have to rest after each card and I need a spica to do colouring. You might want to consider digi stamps or cling stamps which are cheaper than wood mounted. Some designs are available in more than 1 form. If you get cling stamps you will need acrylic block. If it's unmounted you can use Tsukineko's stick and peel. Stretch the $$ whenever you can so that you can have more to spend on other items. Don't get too many dp at one time as new ones come out every season and 1 pc of 12x12 can make at least 4 6x6 cards.

Other things you can try are flowersoft, fun flock, buttons, ready made laces, charms(if the ones from your jewellery stash are not too heavy), seed beads, glitter glue and any other stuff that you can find in the house or from your jewellery making. The seed beads can be used as ice cream or cake toppings or just decoration. Simply stick double sided tape on the cardstock and pour seed beads onto it.

The other thing to try out would be the various online cardmaking challenges. You can check out my blog for a start. I have a long list on the right side bar. I prefer to participate in those that don't require me to purchase their stamps in order to enter the challenge. However, if I happen to own their stamp that suits the theme I don't mind trying.

You can also try image swap. Organise one if you have the time.

Have fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2011, 02:14 PM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

[QUOTE=JoyceL;18254644]At least you are more lucky than me. I have right hand tendon injury and can't stamp at all not to talk about jewellery making and lacemaking. I have problem picking up paper even. You might say use left hand but it just recovered from the same problem not too long ago and can relapse if I am not careful.
QUOTE]

Joyce, I'm so sorry to hear about your injuries, and appreciate your understanding, as well as that of the ladies who posted about carpal tunnel. The beautiful cards you all are making in spite of whatever limitations your issues cause you is very inspiring and dencouraging.

I appreciate the suggestions and ideas of everyone who has posted. I hope my op didn't sound like I was feeling sorry for myself - I just wanted to explain why I've come back to stamping and card making after so long.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2011, 05:14 AM   #31  
Kookie Creator

Don't worry Dianne. I am just envious that u can do stamping but I can't :p Upload your cards to show us when you are ready.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 03:22 AM   #32  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

the tools i'd recommend are a good scoring board - you have quite a few to choose from over in the states.
i'd also recommend a rub-it scrub-it mat to help you clean your stamps with stamp cleaner.
good non-stick scissors.
tweezers.
cutting mat - a glass one is good.
a craft mat - like a non-stick over liner - good for inking, heat embossing etc - esp if you don't have a glass cutting mat.
cut and dry foam if you are going to be using distress inks.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 09:15 AM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

I used to do a lot of heat embossing, that would be good to try again. I wondered if a Stamp-a-ma-Jig would be helpful. What about the glitter tray Inkadinkadoo sells? I have glitter everywhere!
DO NOT buy a glitter tray. They are worthless. Use coffee filters. (want to buy 2 glitter trays? Everything sticks to them)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #34  
Rubber Obsessor

If you have difficulty coloring with pencils, you might try chalk with embossing ink. It has a soft effect, and the ink holds it some so it doesn't smear as much. If you really want chalks or soft pastels to not smear, you can use some types of hairspray or an art product called workable fixative to set them. I usually don't do much cutting on my cards. I make all the "layers" by just marking them in with a ruler and coloring them with markers (Crayola Supertips). I believe it is only about $10 or less for a set with 50colors, and they lasted me a couple years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 12:21 PM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

I have Carpal Tunnel syndrome in both hands so I can relate to what your going threw. A crop a dile is a must have. It's better than trying to set it with a hammer or some of the smaller tools. You can also make holes for book binding as well. I would buy a good paper cutter and a scor board of some kind. Watch for sales so you get more for your money. I know they have a thread going about ways to use different things without buying to much. It had many helpful hints.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 03:07 PM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Rescuing one dog may not change the world, but for that one dog, the world will be changed forever
Default These are excellent suggestions

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
Dianne, I would forget about the glitter tray. I don't have that particular brand, but I have one similar. The static caused by the plastic tray makes the glitter cling to it. It really makes a mess and the tray is difficult to clean. I would just use a sheet of paper folded in half - very easy to pour your glitter back into the bottle. Some people here at SCS recommend coffee filters, but I can't remember if they're using them for glitter or for embossing powder.

Tammy is right on the money about a scoring board. I have the Scor-Pal and the one by Martha Stewart. I used a Michael's coupon and got the one by MS for $10. I prefer the Scor-Pal, but SCSers are pretty much divided between the two.

I wonder if you would be able to use an ATG? If you're not sure what I'm talking about, here's a link: Tape Dispenser Guns
I have the red one and absolutely love it. Michael's now carries them also (in pink), so you might could check one out in the store to see how it fits in your hands. It may seem bulky at first, but doesn't take long to get used to. And the money I've saved on adhesive!!! For tiny areas, I use the Quickie Glue Pen; here's a link: Quickie Glue

Good quality paper will help also. I use the Stamper's Select White by Papertrey Ink; others recommend Gina K's base-weight paper and Neenah Solar Classic.

If you like to color stamped images, there are several mediums out there. Copics are highly recommended, but are expensive. Sharpies and Bic Mark-Its are a fairly good substitute. Several brands of colored pencils are available; I personally use Prismacolors. Watercolors: I have the Derwent Inktense pencils and their regular watercolor pencils also.

If you're interested in the Copics, the best ink to use with them is Memento (no smudging, plus these are the best inks to use with clear stamps.)

The hand-held Cropadile might be too difficult for you to handle, but the table-top version would work great.

That's all I can think of at the moment - several things to think about! And welcome back to stamping and to Splitcoast. Everyone here is so helpful - I can't imagine what I did with my time before I found this site!

Hi! Welcome Back!!
These are excellent suggestions.
Wanted to comment that I prefer Scor-Pal scorer & could not work on anything w/out it as I too have Nerve damage to my hands, Fibro & Arthritis....
I am able to use the Crop-o-dile without an issue perosnally & had to have the table top one ASAP it was released.. Used 2ce and it sits broken in a cabinet now..

Prefer sheet of scratch paper for glitter/embossing powder as well.
Have a few different softer/harder plastic ones as well.

I've mulled teh ATC gun by Scotch over & held it several times trying to get a feel for it.. I think it's just to heavy for me, my wrist and hand..

Joannes.com has great sales almost every week to get 40% all the tools & punches you could need.
OH!! I love my cuttlebug & nesties... They add soo much to the cards.. The Emboss folders/cards from Sixxiz & Tim Holtz rock too.

Sizzix.com has a clearance center online & Tuesday Teaser coupons if you sign up for their email notification...

Enjoy & stay well!
Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 03:14 PM   #37  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree with the Martha score board. I have scor-pal and MS and my Pal now lives in the basement though I loved it at first. You just can't beat the envelope template and the close set scoring channels.

Be very careful buying stamps. What can seem like good starter sets get boring very quickly. Stampin up always has a beginner set with small images and matching sentiments. You will get bored with the size too. I recommend looking at PTI stamps. While they aren't cheap, the images are versatile and relatively timeless. Once you see what you like, try eBay etc to find them used. They are good quality and last. Or you might find similar sets by other manufacturers that are cheaper. If you can afford them though, go for them. I use Mega Mixed messages more than any other single stamp or set I own (except for my ATC back and 'signature' stamps).

As for other tools, I like the Corner Chomper if you like to round corners as it is easier to use than punches. The Cropadile is great too.

If hand strength is an issue do not get an ATG gun, they are much too heavy and their balance point is high! A great, light in between sized option is the Glue Glider Pro by Glue Arts. And the adhesive refills are easy to install and remove and the choices of adhesive are great! Oh, and it is cute!
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 03:26 PM   #38  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post

I agree with Linda about everything, especially the glitter trays-save your money!
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 03:29 PM   #39  
KBM
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
You don't necessarily need a laser printer to use digi stamps. I have a Canon MP560 inkjet printer and it works excellent for digi stamps. Right now, digi stamps is about all I use. I use them with my Copics and pencil crayons with oms and I haven't had any of my images smear. It all depends on your paper/ink combination. So the printer you have now may work. If your friend will let you, perhaps you could find an updated driver for the printer for the operating system on the netbook and see if you can get it to print. Might be worth a try before spending money on a printer when you don't have to.
I use an inkjet printer as well. HP Photo Smart all in one.

the ladies at Pink Petticoat Digital Stamps recommend inkjets as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #40  
Matboard Maniac

(Funny, "stARTing over" is the name of my blog...) But anyway, if I were actually starting over as a crafter, I think I would spend my money on a really good cutting tool, an ATG for adhesive, 3 stacks of the best solid cardstock, one top-of-the-line set of rubber stamp swirls, and a set of water color pencils (or your favorite flavor markers). If I had money left over, I would buy a good set of Tonic scissors, a couple ink pads (Papertrey white and Memento Black), a bone folder, really sharp tweezers, an Excel knife, and an Ott Lamp for the desk top. I think you can make an entire life time of scrapbooks or cards, or both, with those supplies. And imagination.

Enjoy "stARTing over". Once you get too much stuff, it stops being so much fun. Remember that! smooch.
-c
Reply With Quote Likes