Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
Matboard Maniac

Question stamping retreat weekend - need some help

hi everyone ---

i'm looking to hold a stamping retreat weekend in the fall. i have lots of ideas, but i'm also feeling overwhelmed. wondering if anyone can help.

i have a place in mind - very reasonably priced, great food, beautiful facility.

so -- how do i get people to come? are there places i can advertise - besides the newspaper, and my blog?

any advice on the number of projects or what kinds of projects?

how do you figure on a cost - some of it is obvious - room/food/facility fees. but - what about material costs and your time???

anyone ever done one of these and can give me some pointers -- or can someone point me in a direction???

thanks so much for any help --

"I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process.
- - Vincent van Gogh
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.

It sounds like you are looking to start this as a business, rather than a gathering of friends who share a common hobby. If nobody else comes forward, why don't you consider calling a few people out of your area who do the same thing and ask them for some pointers?

I know of a couple people who have done this for scrapbooking. (they are just acquaintances, not friends). From what I understand, it's a TON of work.
Home Scrappin' Escapes Scrapbooking Retreats California (owner is Jessica)
Desert Scrappers Retreats (owner is Laura)

I went to one of Jessica's retreats last year. It was held in the ballroom of a hotel in San Diego. There were probably 300 ladies attending. It was fun, but I MUCH prefer the smaller more intimate gatherings.

Now, if you are just looking to get together for the fun of it, you can do what I did four or five years ago. I rallied a small group of my scrapbooking friends and we rented a scrapbook house for a weekend. There was 8 of us that first time. The next time, we had 12, the maximum. Now, our group has 2-3 retreats a year and the ladies are always scrambling to be among the first 12 to get their deposit in 6-9 months before the actual retreat. Most of us don't hang out together outside of our scrapbook gatherings. We widely differ in age, marital status, race, and financial status. But when we get together it's a wonderful time of paper, glue, food, laughter, fun, music and friendship.
Christmas Cards 4/44
Stamp2Spend-$5.84(03/17/16)
Old 03-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.

duplicate post ... oops.
Christmas Cards 4/44
Stamp2Spend-$5.84(03/17/16)
Old 03-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
Matboard Maniac

thanks melissa --

that is sort of what i'm wanting to do -- i'm looking to expand the small business i have started, but because it's just me i'm looking to keep the group small - 20 -25 so i can keep things personal. like you mentioned -- wow, 300. i don't think i would like that either.

i live in a rural area - even in the larger cities around me - that's part of the "problem" - lol, there isn't anyone doing them around me -- that i can find anyway. i've sent out a few emails to some people i've found online - with no responses. lol.

i think i'm trying to be somewhere in between -- a business and a friends gathering -- does that make sense? lol

thanks for those links - i'll check them out, and maybe send them a note

"I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process.
- - Vincent van Gogh
Old 03-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
Rubber Obsessor

Were you thinking on doing the projects yourself or were you going to get others to come and give "classes"? Or just a come and bring your stuff and everyone do their own thing? If you were going to do the sessions yourself/other and have a project in mind, then you would need to provide the session "kit" and have the attendees bring their basic crafting supplies/tools.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:52 AM   #6
Stazon Splitcoast

I am one of the co-organizers for the SCS Michigan Mingle. It is a non-profit gathering of MI stampers from this site. Have you looked through the Get It Together forum to see what kinds of things they are doing there?

Our event is mainly get together and stamp with some challenges thrown in and lots of prizes. We have done a copic class in the past and have had shoebox swaps, guest stampers, make n takes, etc.

Figuring out the budget is the tricky part. You'll have to figure in all of the room rental, food, materials for your projects, displays, etc. and that will tell you how much you need to charge for the number of people you want. Allow yourself some wiggle room there because you may get a few less. This part is a gamble because you need to book the location before you can start getting people to sign up. Find out if the place allows you to cancel in a certain amount of time.

I have seen flyers for retreats at local scrapbook/stamping stores. I think most of the people will come from word of mouth. Getting one to register and then them getting their friends to register. Good luck to you in your endeavor!

Last edited by vz5dzh; 03-16-2012 at 06:12 AM..
Old 03-16-2012, 05:55 AM   #7
Pearl-ExPert

Good luck with your retreat. I have no idea how pricing of this would work. I would suggest sending out emails to local friends, church members (note in bulletin) etc. I wish you were closer to NYC as it sounds like fun. I am not sure by your post if you are going to be teaching and supplying projects, or if everyone is working on their own projects. If you are laying out supplies, I would make sure you factor that into your cost. PS. I am reading a great book series by Jennifer Chiaverini which is about a group of ladies who form a Quilting retreat...it is a great series...I don't quilt but LOVE them as a crafter.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:47 AM   #8
Glitter Guru

I have BEEN to tons of scrapping weekends (or days where it is like a 12-hour crop) and have been a part of helping out on others.

I personally do all sorts of different things at these events, so we usually call it a crafting crop anymore, since lots of people do cardmaking, scrapbooking, sewing, and just all around working on "other" projects. I have also personally found that many times, people just want a weekend to work on their own stuff and not be expected to "take classes". Limiting it to just cardmakers may limit your response and attendance, since much of these things are aimed towards scrapbookers. I guess the only reason I say that is because if you are doing a 48 or 72 hour thing, that is a lot of time to sit around making cards, but not that much time when trying to work on a scrapbook.

I think holding a crop, getting interest, having a few card classes or 3-D classes at the event and gauging the interest for just papercrafting classes or crops might be the way to go at first. I have tried many times to hold card classes and find it more difficult than just holding a craft crop. And at these crops, I have been asked to do card or 3-D project classes and the response has always been less than stellar. People just get into their own thing and dont want to take the time to stop and do a class.

I agree with Lorien that this would be a good place to plan a get-together and post it. Also, if you have a local scrapbooking/stamping store, post a flyer there if they will allow it. Reach out on other stamping sites and post it too. Also, see if there is a local Meet-Up Group that is geared toward stamping.

Cost just depends on your rental fee of the place, food, and adding in the extra for less than the # of people you can hold. Figure out the minimum and maximum #s you can have. maybe have 2 options: A price with just working space and food and room and another one with all of that and with classes, for those that would want to take classes.

Also, if you are doing door prizes and treat bags, dont forget to add in the cost of that. They can get expensive! Doing a "freebie" class will help get people interested for maybe another retreat where you do a bunch of classes. People do love to make cards and stuff, even if they dont realize it right off the bat and think they are just a scrapbooker! they love making cute and easy stuff! Picking projects geared towards an upcoming holiday is always good, or showing them cute, easy, cheap gift ideas for Christmas is a big hit.

Have fun and best of luck! I know we always enjoy going to crafting weekends because its such a great "girl time" with friends and I generally get things accomplished, which I may not always do at home with all the distractions.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #9
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kspiv View Post
I agree with Lorien that this would be a good place to plan a get-together and post it.
Just keep in mind the stuff posted here can't be for profit. The Get it Together forum is only for "get together and stamp" kind of events, not business-type. Here is a link to the rules for that fourm.

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...s-t431854.html
Old 03-16-2012, 09:49 AM   #10
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vz5dzh View Post
Just keep in mind the stuff posted here can't be for profit. The Get it Together forum is only for "get together and stamp" kind of events, not business-type. Here is a link to the rules for that fourm.

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...s-t431854.html
Oh yeah...duh!!

I knew that...just wasnt using my brain. he he