Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-08-2004, 03:37 AM   #1
Glitter Guru

Default Stamping on Painted wood....

OK I just got done stamping on some painted wooden frames and some painted wooden boxes...they came out great I used Staz-on black (I was using stamps that you could fill in) and I filled in using classic ink and my blender brush...it looked great without sealing

I went to go and seal them up (I heat set with my embossing gun)- the frames did fine but the boxes ran - I hit it with Krylon fixif (however you spell it) and then hit it with a Krylon Acrylic...I guess maybe because the boxes were at an angle and the frames were laying flat....

Anyway - I bought a great bench/storage chest for my daughters room (for $5 from my neighbor at her yardsale - amazing deal) and hubbie got it all sanded primed and painted for me to stamp on...

I have tried using my stamps with acrylic paint and the paint just glopped in between - is there a trick to using acrylic paint - I would be using smaller stamps - about the size of the tags and more set....

I would like to seal the bench somehow since it will be used and abused by 2 three year olds...

If I stamp with craft ink (come on craft spots in the new catty - pretty please ) can I put a polyurathane over it? If so what is the best one?

What about using Staz-on or craft black and coloring in with Fabrico markers - will that stand up to polyurathane...

I don't mind spending some $$ to make sure the piece comes out great because after this I want to do a little table and chairs for them too...

Thanks all
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-08-2004, 04:00 AM   #2
Glitter Guru

Jenni,

Anytime I want to seal something stamped with Staz-On I use a waterbased sealer. If you use the regular sealer you must use a very light hand. The regular sealer will cause the Staz-On to run unless you are very light handed. The water based sealer I used was Minnwax and I found it at Wal-Mart paint section for about $7 a spray can. HTH!

Melissa
Old 08-20-2010, 11:24 AM   #3
Cardstock Collector

what do you mean by "classic inks"?
Old 08-21-2010, 04:11 AM   #4
Glitter Queen

Here is how I stamp with acrylic paint. I keep a spray bottle handy to keep the paint wet. I pick up paint with a sponge brush and dab it on an old plastic lid to get it spread evenly on the brush, then I dab the stamp with the brush. You can try lightly dragging the brush over the inked stamp horizontally to give the paint a smoother surface if you want that.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #5
Stampin' Fool

This won't give it the exact same look but how about painting the wood and then decoupaging your stamped images on the box?

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Old 02-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #6
Gabfest Goddess

The best thing to stamp on painted surfaces is the same type of paint (for example, use acrylic on acrylic, oil based on oil based, etc). Solid stamps work best, line art stamps do get "gloppy." Keep baby wipes handy to clean stamps very often and it will be less gloppy. When dry, any sealer will work and a brush on polyurethane sealer would probably be the most durable. Lots of tips for sealing painted surfaces can be found on home-improvement show websites. Your cute projects makes be want to paint something!
Mary Beth