Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-03-2005, 11:20 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stamping card church ministry

I've been considering starting a card ministry at my Church, but I just don't know how to start. Any suggestions from people how are already doing something like this? Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2005, 12:15 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

this sounds like a great idea.. good luck!

Photographer serving the SE Houston area
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2005, 12:32 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Good for you! My church already had a "notes at Noon" small group that met once a week to write cards and notes to people in the church... birthday, get well, anniversary, thanks for your service, etc. I started donating cards I had made but wouldn't use to the group. Now some of us are going to get together once in a while to make cards specifically to donate to their ministry. That way, we who love to make cards get to do so, while enjoying some time sharing ideas (and stamps!). Everyone wins!

Good luck, let me know how it goes and how you set up your ministry!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2005, 12:36 PM   #4  
Embossing Fanatic

I've been thinking about doing the same thing at my church. At my church we have a Member Care Ministry, although I'm not sure how it works exactly. What I do know is just that they send members cards for their birthdays, at times of illness, or the passing of a loved one or other occasions that the church knows about. I've been wanting to make a bunch of all occasion cards and just donate them to the cause. Another idea is to get a bunch of other ladies in the church who also enjoy stamping (and there are many in my church - that's how I was first introduced to this wonderful addiction) and just have a group session of making cards together. Other than that I'm not sure what else could be done for this type of ministry. I'd love to hear about other churches that do this....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2005, 12:40 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

We also had "someone" who sent cards/notes, and our CE person sent b'day cards to kids in SS. But there are a lot of us who stamp, so now we get together once a month and work on our own projects BUT we also make cards for the cause, and our church secretary keeps track of needs. We make up sentiment sheets on the computer that say more than the stamps do and also have the name of our group and the church, then just glue them in. So it's a "do your own thing" arrangement. It's fun to look at the results of our work at the end of the evening. We're having fun and learning from each other, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2005, 12:41 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I am hoping to start a card ministry too. There is another SU demo at the church. I'm hoping to work with her and get something going. I'd love to hear from those of you already doing this type of ministry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2005, 12:48 PM   #7  
Abbe-licious

My mom takes care opf all the birthday and anniversary cards and stuff in her church. Me and my 4 boys are going to spend the weekend with her and help her stock up on Birthday cards for this year. It is most definitely a big job. Especially finding ideas for masculine cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2005, 12:49 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

I have just started a card ministry at my church. I first went to my fellow stampers in the church and got a commitment from each of them to make 5 cards a month while they are stamping. Then I had our church secretary give me a list of everyone in the church and their birthdays. I started a book so I can record when I send. My plan is to make sure that everyone in the church gets a card at least once a quarter. Our secretary calls me when someone is sick, in the hospital, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2005, 12:52 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
VSN Coordinator

Received 571 Likes on 458 Posts

I've been a part of several card ministries & I guess the big thing is for you to decide what you are willing to do.

Are you willing to donate your supplies?
How many cards are you willing to comit to per week?
Will you donate on a weekly, biweekly, monthly basis?
Are you wanting to do this just from you or are you wanting to open it up to get more help?

At one church I was in, the pastoral staff tried to send notes to everyone who turned a prayer request in that week. They divided up the names & each prayed for so many. Plus, they would each write a quick note. They loved having cards available to send out.

Several places, they gave the nursery workers & Sunday school teachers cards. When they had a child absent they could write a quick note & it could go out on Monday. Also, several recognized birthdays too.

A couple of places have done birthday & anniversary cards to the entire congregation & sympathy.

If you decide to pursue this, you might check with the print shops in town. If you tell them you are needing cardstock for a church minitry, a lot of times, they will save the end pieces of cardstock. (make sure you specify you are wanting cardstock) I've been able to get quite a bit of non-SU cardstock that I can use along with my SU cardstock & stamps.

Usually, the church secretary will know who to put you in touch with or if you are wanting to just do a little on your own. You can always check the church bulletin for prayer requests, etc. & send them out on your own.

--Misti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2005, 01:29 PM   #10  
Inking Addict

I have been doing a card ministry at my church for a few years now. I try to send every adult in the church a birthday card that I have made. I love to stamp and make the cards and people are just thrilled when they receive them. I donate all my supplies and postage. I think there are a lot of people who would be willing to donate a couple of hundred dollars a year in postage to send cards if they knew what a difference it can make in your congregation.
I have someone else in the church now who tries to send cards on birthdays, get well, etc. and I know it is as much a blessing to her as it is to me.
I hope lots of 'stampers' will take this on as a really worthwhile ministry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2005, 01:35 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I would love to hear from those that have already established this type of ministry. I want to do it w/ the ladies at our church, but I guess I am a little shy about approaching them since I am a demo too. I don't want anyone to think I am doing it for selfish reasons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2005, 01:47 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Love this thread, a friend and I have been talking about doing this as well. The church secretary now sends cards to members on birthdays, etc.. . .we thought we would supply cards for this. . .get together and stamp once a month. I liked the idea of stamping a certain number of cards per month to donate. Gotta think more on this. You all have great ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2005, 01:56 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I guess I am a little shy about approaching them since I am a demo too. I don't want anyone to think I am doing it for selfish reasons.
You know, since God says that wherever two or more are gathered in His name, he's there too, I think I'd first just ask a friend who likes to stamp if she'd help you out. Let her know of your predicament (that you don't want to appear to do this for financial gain) and ask if she would help set up this card-making group by making the initial announcement/request for volunteers. After you've been doing this for a little while, people will recognize that you're not doing this for the wrong reasons.

Amy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2005, 01:57 PM   #14  
Inking Addict

We have a lady who does this at my church. She has congestive heart failure and is limited on what she can help with. She just started last November. She is focusing on birthday cards first then will add get well soon, shut-in's, etc. when she has more of a system. She puts a notice in the newsletter asking for cards, env., stamps, and fellowship. Everyone really appreciates the cards. It is a great ministry. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2005, 02:03 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
VSN Coordinator

Received 571 Likes on 458 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by palmettostate
but I guess I am a little shy about approaching them since I am a demo too. I don't want anyone to think I am doing it for selfish reasons.
The church encourages people to use their gifts & talents & IMO that's what you are doing. I know there are many people in my church that love to get together to stamp, but don't have the resources that I do. They love the fact that they can stamp & not have to spend any money.

Even when it's just me that provides the cards, I'm providing for a part of the ministry & the church's money can go somewhere else.

--Misti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2005, 02:07 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Our church ladies make progressive Christmas cards for all of our missionaries. We just pass them along the "assembly line" and each of do our small part. We also make cards for the missionary closet for missionaries and pastors and their wives who visit our church. It is such a great ministry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2005, 02:31 PM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

I have a stamping ministry at my church. It isn't exactly what I had hoped and planned it would be. I was aware of several stampers at my church and was hoping that along the way they would join us. So far, only myself and one other person had other stamped before. The others all are beginners which makes it more work than I had anticipated.

In the beginning I was hoping it was going to be something in which we could share ideas and learn from each other. It's not that at all. I bring in all of the ideas and supplies, everyone has fun with no stressers and then we give it to one of the pastors and then everyone leaves.

The supplies come out of our care ministry budget, I provide the stamps and ink. I did have the church buy me re-inkers for my stamp pads.

The cards have been a great hit and I can say many postitive things about this ministry. But it is also a lot of work. I know of other churchs that it runs much smoother than what it is at mine. I think that I am an example of what not to do. If you have any specific questions feel free to pm me.

Jenny
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2005, 03:03 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Default Wow!

It just so happens that I emailed my church about doing this same thing! I'm still waiting for a reply but if there is anyone in the San Antonio area who'd like to do this type of thing...pm or email me!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2005, 03:03 PM   #19  
Kookie Creator

Default Wow!

It just so happens that I emailed my church about doing this same thing! I'm still waiting for a reply but if there is anyone in the San Antonio area who'd like to do this type of thing...pm or email me!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2005, 03:09 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

I also have a card ministry in our church. We have a church calendar that comes out every month with all the birthday's and anniversaries. I send to everyone young and old alike. We have slots in the back of the church with names and that is wonderful. I could not afford to put postage on all the cards. Every week I try to send one or two "Just Because" cards and also the thinking of you and get well. I rarly make Sympathy cards tending to purchase them at a local Christian Book Store. Needless to say I am busy, but what a wonderful outlet for my habit. Over and over again I am thanked for a card because a person really needed a "hug" that day.
I hope that you can get something going too.
A friend and I are going to host a ladies night out to show just how we go about making cards. This will be hand on of course. We hope to offer 5 or 6 cards and allow them to make 4 or 5 of any of them.
This also was a great success .
I hope this helps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2005, 06:21 PM   #21  
HB
Mad Swapper

Our church has a group called Paper Arts Ministry. We stampers get together once a month and make all types of cards. The various organizations in the congregation order from us (birthday, get well, sympathy, etc) instead of buying cards from the store. We receive a budget each year to buy supplies, but some of us bring stamps, ink and embellishments too.
It's so amazing how that simple, handmade card can make such a big difference in someones life.
Carol

My SCS gallery: HB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2005, 06:53 PM   #22  
Mad Swapper

I am a teeny part of the visitation committee and call on the sick from our church two Wednesdays a month.......hospital, nursing homes and rehab hospitals. I make cards and take to these people. There is a ministry at our church that sends out birthday cards, sympathy cards, etc., but I just do this as an individual and it is very rewarding for the both parties.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2005, 07:07 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been interested in this idea for some time, and had a small start at a women's retreat a couple of months ago. During the retreat, at a free time set aside where ladies could choose one of 3-4 activities, we had an "Encourage One Another" corner. I had 2 tables set up in an L-shape with me behind them with my supplies. The church donated the white cardstock and basic envelopes. Everything else was mine, but we used mostly stamps, inks, sponges, etc. and only a little colored cardstock, so it was very inexpensive for me.

I had pre-made 3-4 cards for various people in our church whom we knew were having a difficult time with sickness or circumstances, and ladies could come by and just sign the cards if that's all they wanted to do. If they were interested in more, I had designed 3 basic cards to choose from and I would provide them with hands-on instruction and materials to do one or more and then an envelope to mail them. If they enjoyed it and wanted still more, they could stay and make more, experimenting on their own, with my being there to handle supplies and any additional tips or instruction that was needed.

Some people were not interested at all in doing anything but signing. I had several people who had never done it before who made at least one, or maybe more cards, probably a dozen or so. As I was beginning to pack things up at about 10:30 pm, a group of about 10 college students came in, made the samples, and they were hooked! They stayed until nearly 2:00 am!!

Just recently someone came to me at church and told how they had received a card someone had stamped just last week and how great it was! She seemed so happy and encouraged, and she is a lady who has been to one of my workshops before, but never got around to using what she purchased. She said, "It reminded me how I really need to be using what I have, because it was so nice to receive that one!"

Another thing that time accomplished was building relationships between those who participated. It really was a success, I think!

I have gotten a few new customers out of it, but they were ones who came to me later, and asked for more information, or to see my catalog, or whatever. I had technique books with my name and contact info on them available, but really did nothing to push my business at all. Everyone seemed to see it as an opportunity and a ministry, so in the end, my concerns about how it might look were unfounded. It was a good experience, and I hope to be able to continue to do that type thing in the future, even overseas, as my family pursues a missionary future.

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/spedabstbit
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2005, 07:25 PM   #24  
Glitter Queen

Default Church card ministry

Hi!

We started a Church card ministry as part of a group that meets twice monthly to stamp, scrapbook and fellowship. I am a demonstrator and bring my stamps. The other ladies enjoy creating the beautiful cards that are then donated to the care committee that sends the cards out to those who are in the hospital or have lost a loved one. The church supplies the envelopes. We tried making envelopes, but it was difficult and boring. We have had many thank yous for our "beautiful cards". Best wishes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2005, 08:08 PM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

We are going to start one at our church, too. Thinking of calling it "St. Valentine's Club", 'cause he's the patron saint of Greeting card manufacturers!

Lisa
John 16:33

A stranger's just a friend you haven't met!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2005, 09:15 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Please post the names of your women's groups. I love the Encourage-One-Another! Also, if you have out of the box ideas for cards that would be great.

I know one ladies group here made thank yous and encouragement for all their new sunday school teachers. I thought that was great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2005, 09:40 PM   #27  
Kookie Creator

Default card ministry

Hi! I'm one of those who have started a card ministry at church. I started by making birthday/thinking of you cards for friends and others (shut-ins, the sick, elderly, and people who I thought didn't get noticed much). I like making cards and I'd send them to anyone who I thought could use a little encouragement. After awhile I was asked to make thank you cards
for guest speakers for the Women's Ministry at our church. Soon I was approached about making cards for our first time visitors. I asked about posting a note in the Sunday bulletin for others who would like to join with me as a team to do this. Now, for about two years or so, four of us get together about every six weeks or so to make cards. We've also expanded to making cards for our college and military kids every couple of months (holidays, mid-term and final exam times) and are soon to expand to making birthday cards for children from about age 2 and up.
I set up the theme for the get together and figure out how to do it so that we can work on it in an assembly line fashion. Usually each of us works with one stamp and one color of ink, passing the card to the next person after stamping our part. It's amazing, but we have done literally hundreds of cards in just a hour or two doing it this way. It's really a fun, and wonderful way to bless and delight others.
It's true - God can take your one talent (and much inspiration from SCS!!!) and bless and expand it beyond your wildest expectations!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2005, 03:12 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Default card ministry

This is something I am beginning at my church...my mom and I both stamp, and we are hoping there will be others that will have an interest...I don't know about funding, but for now, we are gonna get started by hitting up my dad and grama for donations..heehee...the big idea is to get the men to cover the cost....what we are gonna do is a bit different..I got the idea from my cousin's demo, who does a card ministry in Rochester...we are gonna make an assortment of cards, and put them in a display, like you would see at a store, and if a situation comes up where someone needs a card for something/someone they can just help themselves...of course we will make it known that it is a church thing, I mean there could always be someone who could help themselves and send em to family half way across the country...whatever...anyway, we are also gonna put an optional donation box out, too...so that is how I am beginning....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 09:51 AM   #29  
Embossing Fanatic

I wanted to resurrect this discussion to update ya'll on what's happened since I first started this topic. Tonight a group from my church will be meeting for our first session of making cards for our church to use. With the encouragement of you lovely ladies I sent out an e-mail to the people at my church who I knew were already involved in stamping and card making. I got a great, enthusiastic response. Six of us could make it tonight and I plan on having the get-togethers on different days of the week and different times so that other people who aren't normally free on Fridays evenings could get involved, too. I asked everyone to make a sample card and precut enough paper and embellishments to make 5 more identical cards. Then I thought we would set each card up at different "stations" and then rotate around so we could all make different cards. All the cards will go to our church's Member Care Ministry. Each month we'll have different "themes" - birthday, sympathy, anniversary, get well, etc. There was some concern about people who wanted to be involved, but didn't own much or any materials. I didn't want to exclude anyone so I said not to worry about that, they could bring envelopes, postage, etc to help with the mailing of the cards for the church. Anyways, I hope it goes well and we can continue to make this a regular thing at my church. Thanks for all your encouragement and ideas!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 01:10 PM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

JoAnna,

Sounds like you've got things off to a good start! I hope things go really well for your group and that this turns into a great way for you ladies to minister to your church body as well as to each other!

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/spedabstbit
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2006, 07:32 PM   #31  
Mad Swapper

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a card ministry too at our small church. I make the cards and Pastor sends them out. I found a plastic rolling drawer stacker with three drawers in it about the size of a shoebox at Walmart for about $10 for his office. One drawer is for birthday and anniversary cards, one of for all occasion blank cards, and the last is for the envelopes. I make all one size cards, so the invitation size envies is what I buy for him to use. He just recently requested that I design a Welcome To Church card for him. Anybody do any of those?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2006, 07:50 PM   #32  
Watercolor Wizard

What a great idea! Glad you found this thread and brought it back to life!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2006, 09:17 AM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

Just one thing to remember, you are making a major committment when you start sending cards. I know for a fact that the elderly and those with shut in's at home usually check their mail boxes for birthday, get well and thinking of you cards. So, when do you stop?
I have often thought of quiting but you know, this is just a small way in participating in the church , so I will probably continue as long as I am able.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2006, 12:30 PM   #34  
Insane Embellisher

I just started one 10/1/06. Right now, I'm the only one involved. I am stamping, making and sending the cards out at my expense (my choice!). I received a birthday list and the chuch members address listing. My plan is to send B-day cards to everyone on the list. When we have praise & prayer request each service, I make a note and send something fitting out. I also posted a clip board on the Church bulltetinboard, with a form to fill out for anyone requeting a card. The order blank consists of the name and address of the person to send a card to. I also asked to identify whether it is female or male. If it is a child, teen or adult. I was hoping this would give me a better idea of stamp set to use!! Also there is a place to check what kind of card is needed: birthday, anniver., get well, thinking of you, sympathy, etc. and also a blank line to write something else in. I also made an envelope and attached it to the clipboard (for privacy). I 10/1, I've received 1 call requesting get wells and thinking of you for church members going through surgery and has been ill for quite some time. I've also sent out 3 Bday cards. I've received comments that they are glad to have this ministry started, they thought it was much needed. I'm hoping once everyone know about the card ministry, I may get few volunteers to help make cards!! I did just purchase religious type stickers to cut up and put in the childrens cards and also praise & prayer inspirational calling cards to place in the adults. If you would like a copy of my Card Ministry proposal I submited for consideration to the pastor, I will send to you. Also, I can send a copy of my card "order" form that is on the churchs clipboard. I hope all goes well and God bless!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2006, 06:52 PM   #35  
Stampin' Fool

I wanted to pull this up to see how everyone is doing????

I never did give anybody hell. I just told the truth and they thought it was hell.

Harry S. Truman
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2006, 07:14 PM   #36  
Matboard Maniac

Default card ministry

I started a card ministry at our church about 3 years ago. i just make and send card to things I hear about, like sick, death, health, encouragement, thanks, what ever I feel lead to send to. i do the card by myself, and now people do buy my cards. It's great when someone comes up as says how much that card meant and made their day. But I don't hear from most people and that great with me. I do often hear how it great to get real mail and it is, because others have sent me cards. My 2 cents.

Craftmut stuff!!!!
NEW STAMPIN UP DEMO

>
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2006, 07:15 PM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

This sounds very cool. I send out alot of cards out to church family on my own but it would be fun to get together with others and expand on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2006, 07:18 PM   #38  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busyb
This sounds very cool. I send out alot of cards out to church family on my own but it would be fun to get together with others and expand on it.
For God so loved the world.................Merry Christmas
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2006, 08:41 PM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 667 Likes on 346 Posts

Wow! What a wonderful idea! :-) LM

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2006, 09:05 PM   #40  
Mad Swapper

Wow, this is a really cool thread! I do a card ministry at my church too. I donate all cardstock, ink, envies and most adhesive. The church provides postage and personalized stamps for the back of the cards and for the return address. I also get donations for adhesive or rolls of stamps from members of the church. I have been so blessed by all the positive feedback from those that receive cards. The ministry is just myself and my dear sister in Christ, Julie. We have been praying that the Lord would raise up some more help for us because the demand for cards is more than we can keep up with. The Lord brought us JoAnn, she is going to start stamping with us after Christmas. We stamp 2-4 times per month and about 4 hours at a time. It is a big commitment. My advice to anyone that wants to start a ministry is PRAY FIRST. Take time to seek God's will. Ask Him to make it clear to you if you should start the ministry. Once you know that it is God's will for you, then you can rest assured that it will be just what God has in mind for you. Don't try to do a ministry in your own strength. For those demos that are uncertian about starting a ministry because it might look selfish or self-serving, IF you have submitted it to God in prayer and He is leading you to do it, don't even give it a second thought!
Would any of you stampers that run ministries like to start a small group to support and encourage and pray for each other? Maybe we can share ideas and tips too. My ministry is a work in progress. I would love to hear all about what works in your ministry.
Inky Hugs.
Risa
Reply With Quote Likes