Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-15-2007, 03:22 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Stamping with a 3 year old

My son, 3, is dying to stamp. The SU catalog is his favorite book....LOL

Is it ok to let him stamp with my classic pads, so should I get him a kid's ink pad...what's the difference? Will the regular pads stain if he gets them on anything?

Thanks for your help
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-15-2007, 03:32 PM   #2  
Compulsive Stamper

My kids have been stamping since they were 2 or 3, Holly who is now nearly 6 is a pro!! I let mine have their own stamps and pad (a child friendly one as it is non-toxic and washes out). They are not too careful about not mixing colours so their pads get a bit messy but we have killed hours of time, a few trees and produced some amazing artwork!! Have fun. Stevie
Old 07-15-2007, 03:35 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

My DS likes to try my stamps sometimes - I let him use my regular stuff but I supervise him every second, LOL! I would get him his own stuff and make sure everything was protected if I let him do it on his own. It's cute that he likes it, though!
Old 07-15-2007, 03:42 PM   #4  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

I bought lots of stuff for my 2 year old from oriental trading and their hands on fun catalog. They have easy to hold foam stamps. I bought his own pads too, only because he mixes the colors and I do not have to watch him like a hawk!
Old 07-15-2007, 04:31 PM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

Both of my boys like to stamp with me. I only let them have one ink pad at a time that way I don't have to worry about corrupting too many colors. Lately, both of them have been liking the clear stamps. They like to be able to see exactly what and where they are stamping.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:01 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

My 3 yr old grandson likes to stamp with me. I give him the color ink of his shirt, and he chooses the stamps. I have toybox, and some pirates which are his current favorites. Sometimes it's flowers or butterflies. He goes tap, tap, tap, on the inkpad, and then presses down on the paper. Then he cleans the stamp on the scrubber. I cut up his sheet of cardstock, layer it on colored cardstock and mail it for him. He's better than some grownups.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:23 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I let my boys play with mine. But they are supervised 100%. If they start showing more interest, I will start investing in a toolbox and fill it up with supplies just for them. But for right now, they just want to "Help Out Mommy" every once in a while.

Happy Creative Thoughts,
Old 07-15-2007, 06:40 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

My kids start stamping as soon as they can hold a stamp. I highly recommend getting their own ink washable pads. Another thing the kids like is popping pastels. They stamp in Versamark, then rub with daubers rubbed in chalk. Everything washes clean and we don't end up with pink ink in our yellow ink pad.

Proud to be a SU Demo & USC Gamecock Fan!
Old 07-15-2007, 06:40 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

My 3 yo DD loves to stamp. I had to make a goodie box of all her art supplies so I can supervise and keep everything together. I got her some dollar stamps from michaels and kid ink pads- which I keep with my things. She only gets one inl pad at a time- like pp's did as well. It keeps her entertained for a bit and that is worth it! Plus great art work and cards to give her dad when he gets home.

MY BLOG
Old 07-15-2007, 06:46 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

My 4-year DD loooves to help me when I get the stamping stuff out. I've bought her her own non-toxic, washable ink pads, but of course she wants nothing to do with them. She only wants the stuff that mommy uses.

I've had to force myself to relax, and not freak out if she messes up my supplies. It's just ink and paper after all, and it's not as if I don't go to the store at least twice a week after all. I get really obsessive about having perfectly clean pads, but this is one area of my life I'll just have to relax about for at least a year or so. I'd rather have enjoyable memories stamping with her, and I want her memories to be enjoyable as well. It's really hard to tell a pre-school that the glitter and glue are only for mom.

Not to sound like a cliche, but I honestly believe that the only thing irreplaceable is my kids and the time spent with them. There is another perfectly good sheet of my brand new Basic Grey paper waiting for me less than a mile away. Not that I let her go crazy with my stuff, that would be a total waste of money, but I just have to be flexible once in a while.

Wow this is way more than what you asked, LOL!
Old 07-15-2007, 09:49 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

WTG on 9 kids...we are at 6 We should be coming to you for advice...lol

My 4 yo dd and 5 yods and 6 yo ds love to stamp..but doing it together gets messy. I have made a bin of stamps and stuff just for them. I bought a doodle pad at the dollar store and use it as my stamping off place, I give them a sheet and they stamp. Sometimes they will ask for a "card" paper. Mostly they like it when I give them stamp tatoos

Sometimes I find it is just too overwhelming because they are all touching stuff they shouldn't...my rule is when Mamma gets grumpy we are all done...if I can't enjoy it with them whats the point.

I have some inks from walmart that are pretty cheap and come in primary colours..they like them.

Just don't let them loose with a stamp pad and a carpet....ask me how I know

Ciebelle
Old 07-15-2007, 10:41 PM   #12  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I would definitely buy him his own child ink pads just so he doesn't mess up your SU! inks. My son loves to stamp, but is very messy. I completely cover up the table, have him stamp on paper that is resting on cardboard, and he STILL manages to get my table cloth and carpet green (we have a frog stamp set from Michaels)?! As for staining, I find the ink stains his fingers no matter the brand, but after a day of washing and such it's gone.

Have fun! He will love stamping just like mommy! Hugs,
Old 07-15-2007, 11:31 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I give my 4 YO my old Mike's dollar stamps and "help" him stamp them with classic ink. His favorite is to watercolor, so we stamp first and then he goes to town.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:01 AM   #14  
Glitter Queen

My 2 sons love to stamp with me!! What I did at first was only let them stamp in black and then let them color the stamps in with their markers or pencils.

Now though I have given them the "extra" stamping spots that I have, you know those ones that come in the punch boxes and stuff. So they have their own shoe box full of stampin spots.

I am not to picky about them getting ink all over themselves after all they are only doing what mom does I love the time that we spend together and everyone loves the cards that they recieve from them.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:54 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

I just had to add that last night my DS wanted to stamp, and my 1yo DD was there too - she already loves to carry the stamps around, etc. She was watching DS and pretty soon she picked up a stamp (without ink) and was putting it onto the paper in just the right way! I was so proud.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:43 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

I remember when my nephew (now was about a year old, he would stand on a chair next to me at the dining room table and he'd do the "huffing" on whatever stamp I had colored with markers. He was so cute, but of course my sister doesn't stamp enough that he ever got interested in it.

When my son was younger (probably about 8 when I started stamping) I gave him a shoebox with all his own supplies so that he could stamp with me. He would even come into my room and set up the card table so he could have his own space!

Toni
Old 07-16-2007, 04:44 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni in KansasView Post
I remember when my nephew (now was about a year old, he would stand on a chair next to me at the dining room table and he'd do the "huffing" on whatever stamp I had colored with markers. He was so cute, but of course my sister doesn't stamp enough that he ever got interested in it.

When my son was younger (probably about 8 when I started stamping) I gave him a shoebox with all his own supplies so that he could stamp with me. He would even come into my room and set up the card table so he could have his own space!

Toni
suppose to say now 8