Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-16-2008, 07:52 AM   #41
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by KayInFLView Post
I was an SU demo for 5 years and left because I fell in love with unmounted stamps. Personally, I feel SU is missing the boat by not offering an unmounted option. I know I don't have to mount the rubber but I think it's hard to justify the cost of wooden blocks I won't use. I really don't understand why it would be such a difficult thing for them to do,
I agree with Kay. Anyone who sticks with this craft for any length of time runs into storage issues sooner or later. Getting unmounted rubber stamps is one way to help solve this problem. It also reduces the cost of the stamps. Also, I know that you don't have to mount SU!, but they still send you the wooden mounts regardless. It is a waste of both money and natural resources IMHO. I also agree that this is the major area in which the company is lagging behind. on the other hand, I hope that they don't switch over to clear stamps which aren't as versatile or long lasting.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-16-2008, 08:02 AM   #42
Gabfest Goddess

I don't like some of their rules. One being that you can't sell SAB sets, or other sets that are "gone" for the year, until the new catty comes out. Why not? If you can't buy them, and a demo isn't going to want to demo them, how come I, a non-demo, can't purchase them after the fact, but I have to wait until August? And personally, I think that August is a bad time for a new catty. At that point I am going to be obsessed with the back to school thing and just not caring at all.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:02 AM   #43
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by nancystampsView Post
I don't think so....they have all the releases I can handle! I think their "MO" is creating some anticipation, and they are a much larger company and better established in the market than some of the "newbies". I think if I were starting a stamp company, then a monthly release would be a good way to build up a business from scratch. I don't even check all the new monthly releases, unless something really catches my eye in the gallery. It's overload for me.
I agree. The other companies do not have demos. I don't think it is a apples to apples comparison.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:25 AM   #44
Gabfest Goddess

Ha ha, I know what you guys mean. I feel SU stamp overload lately. I used to know all the new stuff by name, but not anymore. I gave up!
Old 04-16-2008, 08:56 AM   #45
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm happy with it. I just barely got around to ordering from the occasions thingie, I'm happy to have a few months to prepare for a new order. I like ordering quarterly.

Course I do order from other companies. I rekon if I wanted to order only from SU I might get bored.

I can't imagine how difficult it would be for demos to prepare for more releases.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:00 AM   #46
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by CynamomView Post
I don't like some of their rules. One being that you can't sell SAB sets, or other sets that are "gone" for the year, until the new catty comes out. Why not? If you can't buy them, and a demo isn't going to want to demo them, how come I, a non-demo, can't purchase them after the fact, but I have to wait until August? And personally, I think that August is a bad time for a new catty. At that point I am going to be obsessed with the back to school thing and just not caring at all.
Non-demos can sell SAB or "gone"-for-the-year sets before the new catalogue comes out, can't they?? Can't non-demos sell any SU! stamp set they want, whenever they want??
Old 04-16-2008, 09:20 AM   #47
Insane Embellisher

Location: Virginia, where we have the beach and mountains all in one state!!

I have so much advice I would like to offer. So here I go. I just resigned from a scrapbooking company that had new products every month and it was just too much, my personal opinion. It's great and exciting but way over the top.

The bulk of my stamps are clear and I love so much about them and I will continue to buy them but..............when I recently stamped with good rubber stamps I saw the difference, WOW!! I now look at purchasing stamps in a totally different way. I have only experienced with a couple of clear stamp company's and in my opinion Paper Trey Inc. has got it hands down.

When I purchase rubber stamps I store them unmounted and use clear acrylic blocks. Why Stampin Up! is still producing them with wood blocks I don't know. I am sure they have good reasons. But I would settle for the price to be the same with the wood blocks if they would just pre-cut them. This is the real chore for me. I will continue to purchase from Stampin Up! ad I do think they are one of the best around.

HTS.

My "Small" Gallery
Old 04-16-2008, 09:20 AM   #48
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
Non-demos can sell SAB or "gone"-for-the-year sets before the new catalogue comes out, can't they?? Can't non-demos sell any SU! stamp set they want, whenever they want??
Yes, they just can't do it on SCS
Old 04-16-2008, 09:30 AM   #49
Rubber Obsessor

Default I like SU! amongst other companies

I use clear stamps, unmounted rubber and rubber stamps.......I mainly look at the 'picture' when I want to buy stamps, not the material of which the stamp is made.(I never buy foam stamps, though)
I really like the fact that SU! carries sets and all kinds of coordinating things.
I buy from all sort of companies and never really understood what the 'buzz' was about SU! as here on SCS the main focus is on SU!.
I don't think that SU! is missing the boat........not at all.........but for me it's one of the stamp companies and not 'thé stamp company'.
Vronica
Old 04-16-2008, 09:47 AM   #50
Polyshrink Goddess

I wish SU would go back to an annual catalog and maybe offer 6 minis instead of 4... They have so many things in each catalog, that I have a LONG wish list. Where I think SU is missing the boat is offerring stamps only in rubber/mounted kits. I can deal with the rubber...but wish unmounted was a choice. I love acrylic stamps and I've gone unmounted.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:57 AM   #51
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by vronicaView Post
I use clear stamps, unmounted rubber and rubber stamps.......I mainly look at the 'picture' when I want to buy stamps, not the material of which the stamp is made.(I never buy foam stamps, though)
I really like the fact that SU! carries sets and all kinds of coordinating things.
I buy from all sort of companies and never really understood what the 'buzz' was about SU! as here on SCS the main focus is on SU!.
I don't think that SU! is missing the boat........not at all.........but for me it's one of the stamp companies and not 'thé stamp company'.
Vronica
It is 'cause SCS was started as a way for an SU! upline (Beate) to keep in touch with her downlines!

It continues be to mainly focused on SU! probably 'cause the gallery is organized by SU! sets, so anyone googling any SU! set is likely to find their way here. (the last bit is my theory only)
Old 04-16-2008, 10:31 AM   #52
Stazon Splitcoast

I also use all types of stamps. My favorite though is the wood mounted rubber stamp. CTMH is my favorite for acrylic. I have used some cheaper brands of acrylic and will never buy them again. If SU would change their stamps I would be one to probably not buy from them anymore. I also have some TAC unmounted rubber but I still don't care for them being unmounted.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:59 AM   #53
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Wink

Quote:

It is 'cause SCS was started as a way for an SU! upline (Beate) to keep in touch with her downlines!

It continues be to mainly focused on SU! probably 'cause the gallery is organized by SU! sets, so anyone googling any SU! set is likely to find their way here. (the last bit is my theory only)
Actually SCS was started by Daven Nolta, the owner, for his wife Tracy, an SU! demonstrator, as a way for her to keep in touch with her downline.

You can read the story of how SCS came to be, right HERE.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:06 AM   #54
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Interesting discussion!

I haven't read through all the responses yet, and, of course, I have no inside knowledge.

My initial thought was: Maybe they're just on a different boat!

I don't have an opinion one way or the other on it, tho.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:08 AM   #55
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by CynamomView Post
Ha ha, I know what you guys mean. I feel SU stamp overload lately. I used to know all the new stuff by name, but not anymore. I gave up!

I totally agree with you 100%. I used to know where to find a certain set in the catalog too, but not anymore.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:10 AM   #56
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
Actually SCS was started by Daven Nolta, the owner, for his wife Tracy, an SU! demonstrator, as a way for her to keep in touch with her downline.

You can read the story of how SCS came to be, right HERE.
Oh! Thanks for the correction!
Old 04-16-2008, 02:51 PM   #57
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Oh! Thanks for the correction!
There will be a test soon....

I think it's sort of apples v. oranges myself. I've always assumed that the way PaperTrey started, and that others following have done, by introducing one or two sets per month, was more because of financial reasons. It's just way more "do-able" to start a new company with a limited product line and then slowly add to it.

Nichole (PaperTrey) marketed this strategy brilliantly...she took what some might think of as a negative (tiny product line) and gave it a mystique by creating massive anticipation before even opening. Do many of you remember that, lol? I do... the waiting for her to open was AWFUL!! Lots of banner ads, all designed to whip up our anticipation.

Still, the bottom line was (I think) finding a way to inexpensively (well, that's kind of a a relative term, lol) start up a company. The monthly roll-outs are great if the company has a smaller line. I don't see where Stampin' Up is in a similar mode at all.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:08 PM   #58
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeymamaView Post
I love SU!, along with many other companies! While wood mounted is by far my favorite, I would love to see SU! offer other options, like UM rubber. There are a lot of sets I see that I like, but am not sure I would use very often. The cheaper option of UM rubber would probably help "push" me to buy the set.
Absooooolutely. There are a number of SU sets that I like but can't justify the storage space. I would LOVE to have an UM option.

Aside from too many flowers in the catty, my other big *I'm sooo done with* is swishes, doodles and graphic swirls.

DT: Sketch Saturday, Bugaboo - My Blog /Gallery
Old 04-16-2008, 03:14 PM   #59
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Queenbee JoView Post
Absooooolutely. There are a number of SU sets that I like but can't justify the storage space. I would LOVE to have an UM option.

Aside from too many flowers in the catty, my other big *I'm sooo done with* is swishes, doodles and graphic swirls.
My sentiments exactly!!
Old 04-16-2008, 04:29 PM   #60
Kookie Creator

I think SU should do a monthly release -- just do it online only - so that it is easy to administer - no printing brochures. And make them sets that are already going to be in the next catalog - so that you know they have some longevity.

While I personally like 2 big catalogs a year - I think it is overwhelming for some. Littler bites would keep the appetites going, me thinks.
In quaint, quiet, quirky little Darmstadt
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 04-16-2008, 05:42 PM   #61
Polyshrink Goddess

I like the monthly roll out idea that Nichole started but now there are so many that do it I can't keep up with it and find myself not trying to. If SU did it it would probably be overkill.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:01 PM   #62
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Interesting discussion!

I haven't read through all the responses yet, and, of course, I have no inside knowledge.

You have NO opinion?? HA!!! And, no the pineapple doesn't make you look fat. A little yellow perhaps...
Old 04-16-2008, 06:11 PM   #63
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen70View Post
I'm way overwhelmed with all the monthly releases from smaller companies. I think SU is doing fine with the releases they have. Monthly releases would be way too much for demos.

I do think they need to offer less floral and more boy oriented stamps and scrapbooking products. Well... they need more scrapbooking products in general, too.

I do think they need to offer unmounted stamps. But if they ever went to clear stamps, I would no longer be a SU customer... at least not for stamps.
I agree with Jen, I am overwhelmed. We have 5 or 6 smaller stamping companies all releasing once a month (or every other month). I get all confused, forget about them, and don't have the budget to get all I want to buy! I think my brain would explode if SU did monthly releases!
Old 04-16-2008, 06:47 PM   #64
Die Cut Diva

the shipping cost, will keep me from doing any monthly specials, unless I
really love it. I will do fewer larger orders just because of shipping cost.
I don't need to be tempted by monthly specials from so many companies.

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Old 04-16-2008, 06:58 PM   #65
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Interesting discussion!

I agree! I think there will be plenty of people on SU!'s boat, but some customer probably will switch to other companies. But I think there's probably enough business to go around. I used to buy exclusively from SU! but now I buy from other companies too, thanks to discovering them here on SCS. I just buy what I like - it doesn't matter to me when/how they release it!
Old 04-16-2008, 07:40 PM   #66
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
You have NO opinion?? HA!!!

Quote:

And, no the pineapple doesn't make you look fat. A little yellow perhaps...
Aaaaah, all is well then.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:51 PM   #67
Kookie Creator

Okay, no need to do monthly releases for SU, here is my issue. I really wish that all the products in their two catties were available throughout the whole year, not just the 6 months. By doing this they are able to see what type of stamp sets were most popular in the first catty and use that to help bring similar images in the second catty but still let the first one be active. This would benefit the demos out there as they wouldn't have to worry for a full year about which stamps sets they had that were retired and they could pass out all of their catties to customers and know they could make sales from them.

www.NicoleEBecker.myctmh.com
Old 04-16-2008, 08:47 PM   #68
Embossing Fanatic

No - to the monthly releases concept. I think I would prefer going back to one yearly catty and the four minis.

Yes - to more diversity - especially masculine - though I love the florals.

Yes - to mounting options.

Shipping costs - as long as they stay at 10%, I'm okay. It would be a nice to have a break for larger orders - but then one more headache for the demonstrators.

Thanks for letting me voice my opinion.

Pauline
UT to GA soon
Old 04-16-2008, 10:22 PM   #69
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen70View Post
I'm way overwhelmed with all the monthly releases from smaller companies. I think SU is doing fine with the releases they have. Monthly releases would be way too much for demos.
I do think they need to offer unmounted stamps. But if they ever went to clear stamps, I would no longer be a SU customer... at least not for stamps.
I, too, am totally overwhelmed by monthly releases. I would say for me it has limited my buying, because I get a few things in my cart, and then I hear (or read, to be more precise) wait until you see what's coming next month! So I wait, and then wait again.
I have ordered from 3 smaller newer companies that sell unmounted rubber, and would readily order unmounted stamps from SU. It would be great to have the choice, as is possible in several on-line companies. I will still buy SU if I like the image, even with the blocks.
Just MHO....
Eileen
Old 04-17-2008, 12:24 AM   #70
Crimping Master

Not only have they missed the boat...they are not even swimming to catch up IMO.

I am getting rid of almost all of my stamps this weekend. I completely agree with a lot of the previous posters in that there comes a point for everyone when there are storage issues and I could never see myself venturing to unmount them all. I have started purchasing from a company that offers unmounted rubber.

Not only that, they have not done well in keeping up with the current trends. Stickles, liquid pearls, primas, rub-ons (ours do not even compare to the competition), patterned paper, paint, masks, home decor just to name a few. I mean...come on SU...people want variety, selection and trendy *new* and popular designs! 3 colors of scrapbooks just doesn't, by any measure, cut it!!

Moreover, I, myself find it infuriating that, as a demo, i can purchase a very expensive kit to set up an entire booth at a craft fair, but no cart/tote/bag to carry my ink, stamps or embellishments in!

If they do not do something fast, I bet they will end up in the same boat that CM found itself in about a year ago.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:21 AM   #71
Stazon Splitcoast

I have no idea if they are missing the boat. As a privately held company, we aren't privy to their bottom line and that's how a company measures success. However, they've stated that they sold a TON during the Sale A Bration.

And, the owners have waayy more money than I do, so I'm figuring that they are at least a float!
Old 04-17-2008, 07:15 AM   #72
Pearl-ExPert

I don't think they're missing the boat at all. The monthly releases, to me, get tiresome. Everyone and their cousin does it these days. I understand for a new company to start their business, monthly releases can be a good thing. Stampin' Up! doesn't have to play that game and I'm grateful they don't! I've found that the monthly releases don't do anything for me anymore. I used to get excited about the PTI monthly release, but not anymore. It's clear that they're going in a different direction stylewise -- one that doesn't do it for me. I think that had I seen all they have to offer up front, I'd have known that from the beginning instead of just getting little dribbles of it monthly.

I'll go even further to say that I think there are really too many releases in our whole industry. It seems we don't ever really enjoy all that we have because we're always anticipating the next new, great thing.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:33 AM   #73
Die Cut Diva

I think the most important thing to realize is that Stampin' Up! has a completely different audience than all of the other companies that do monthly releases, so for them monthly releases are not necessary. SU has an army of independent demonstrators who are out in the real world looking for new stampers. Most of these new stampers don't even know that they like to stamp yet, so they really don't care if a company does monthly releases or offers mounted vs. unmounted options. What they do care about is cool hostess benefits or a special on some of the products in the catalog. So IMO monthly releases are not necessary for Stampin' Up! to get into based on their business model.

The new companies have no way to attract brand new stampers or would-be stampers. For the most part they only exist in cyberspace, where a would be stamper would never find them because they don't even know that they want to be looking for stamps. So these smaller cyber-companies need to find a way to drive experienced stamper traffic to their on-line stores, and that's what monthly releases do for them.

I think both marketing strategies work well based on the types of customers each one is designed to attract and the marketing tools available to each company.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:49 AM   #74
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankieView Post
I'll go even further to say that I think there are really too many releases in our whole industry. It seems we don't ever really enjoy all that we have because we're always anticipating the next new, great thing.
Frankie, I so agree with your statement. I never understood the freensy over a monthly release. I understand the need for a new company, but I really enjoy looking through the catalogs and being able to decide buy now or later.

I got myself into a buying freensy and now I'm reassesing my needs and am going back to remembering why I love to stamp. Its not about how many I have but how I can use what I have.

I feel that based on some of the questions I see posted on SCS, that sopme stampers are not spending enough time to actually learn about the hobby and the varied techniques. I think too many want a instant art. They see beautiful work and think if they can't duplicate it, it must be the product. Some of our techniqes take quite some time to master and no matter how many hot new markers you buy, you are not going to get masterclass results on your first try unless you understand the basics about color hues, design elements, etc. This was not meant to offend anyone, so please forgive.

I hope SU does keep up with the styles we like to see, but for me it will be the quality of the product. Right now I'm a bit miffed over the quality of their marker tips and that the ink pads are lower in the middle, but I absolutely love their paper. I don't like the 2 catalogs a year - I wish they would go back to the one big one. Usually I have a ton of stamps I want and this catty missed the boat for me so I'm not buying as much because I don't go to see what is still available but not in the catty.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:23 PM   #75
CBC Lady Violet

I don't think they've missed the boat by not offering monthly releases. I'm not a big fan of that. Personally, I like to look through the catalogue multiple times. I make a list of what I like, then go back through days or even weeks later and evaluate: Do I still like it? Do I have anything similar? Does it fill hole/need in my sets? (ie, do I have a baby set?). I like that I have several months to set aside some money & then put in an order large enough to get hostess bennies. I don't like the pressure of "buy it now or it will be gone". If they had monthly releases that were only available for that month, I mostly likely would ignore them.
There are some things I really wish they would change though. While I enjoy stamping with wood mounted, I am currently in the midst of converting to unmounted rubber. I live in an apartment, and simply do not have the storage space. If they introduced the option to buy the sets without the wood blocks at a lower price they would get a lot more of my stamping budget. I would also really like to see the embellishments in more colours. It just doesn't make sense to me that they promote all these wonderful colour families, matching paper and ink - but no matching embellishments. I was really disapointed when they retired so many colours of grosgrain not that long ago.
I think the lack of these two things is losing them some business with longtime stampers who are buying these things from other companies.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:46 PM   #76
Hardware Hotshot

[
I
I
I
. Right now I'm a bit miffed over the quality of their marker tips and that the ink pads are lower in the middle, but I absolutely love their paper.

I soooo agree with this! Some of the pads I have gotten are way sunk in the middle. and the marker tips "spit" sometimes when I use them. I think that quality is an issue that they are really going to have to keep tabs on to keep up with some of the up and coming companies.

I design for Heartfelt Creations,
The Stamps Of Life
Old 04-17-2008, 08:08 PM   #77
Kookie Creator

I personally don't care for two catalogs a year. I liked the one catalog/more minis format.

That said, I don't spend much on SU now since I have gone unmounted and I find it difficult to justify the increasing prices for stamp sets and shipping. I tend to look for online stores that have less expensive or free shipping. I just won't spend enough to justify a shipping charge of $6.95, plus tax on my total bill including the shipping charge.

I love the quality of SU and was a hobby demo for a number of years, but I haven't been real satisfied with the offerings in the last couple of catalogs. I choose to spend my money where I can get unmounted stamps and more reasonable shipping charges. Another advantage is most online stores do not charge sales tax.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:44 PM   #78
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithjoanneView Post
I'm not a demo and LOVE Stampin Up stuff!

That said, they are WAY TOO TOP-HEAVY in the floral department!
I want stamp sets other then flowers. I think they need to diversify a bit to continue to succeed. In the last 1-2 years I find myself spending my stamp dollars elsewhere to get some variety.

That's my 2-cents!
While I love flowers.....I agree with you, would LOVE to see some "retro" type stamps, like the cool cat (absolutely perfect stamp set). Retro and or "vintage" is really "in" right now, and things like vintage aprons are really hot (I have collected a few of them, love the feel and designs)
Old 04-17-2008, 08:57 PM   #79
Mad Swapper

I don't think that they need a monthly release because they have monthly specials. However IMO they need to make a few changes to keep up with the industry.
1. they absolutely MUST give the option of buying UNMOUNTED
2. they need more boy/masculine stamps
3. they need more up to date scrapbooking supplies
4. they need more diversity overall with their stamp collection. Lately some of the stamps seem to look like slightly new versions of older sets.

Those are just a few IMO.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:32 PM   #80
Insane Embellisher

It's so good to get everyone's views on this. Like I said before, this is not meant to be a negative post about SU, I just wanted to get some other input out there. Believe it or not, it's good to hear what a lot of the customers like and not just the demos, too. It took me years to realize that.[/quote]

I think you have a really good point here ...about it being good to hear what the customers like. I don't know if we as demonstrators convey to SU enough what they are thinking and wanting. Even though as a demonstrator I am still a "customer" it is in such a differnet mind set. A lot of my customers are very vocal about what they do and don't like...I know they want to be heard in a big way.