Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-06-2008, 05:44 AM   #481
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Not doing great....but...

Victoria,

As you can see by me sig....I am not doing great BUT I am doing better than I thought. I am an SU hobby demo...since Nov. 07 and only started stamping a little bit before that. Became the demo so I could take advantage of the discount to 'collect' everything I need. I am thinking by the end of the year I should be okay and just go back to being a customer...at least this is what I told my DH.

Joining this challenge has made me think about my purchases...I have also started doing the swaps! This is using some of my stash AND I'm making new friends AND seeing, first hand, other people's work! I'm loving it!

So, all in all, I'm glad I stumbled on this thread and 'joined'....I am sure I would have spent a lot more than I already did!

As to the weather...well...the weather guy says we are going to have our first 'heat wave' of the summer this weekend...UGH.....the heat index is supposed to be just over 100 degrees)...personally, I think it is too, too early for that...but I can't control it....(and I'm glad I don't live in the Midwest though...has it been crazy out there or what?).

So, my plans for the weekend (after my great niece's 3rd birthday party tomorrow...BTW...used stickles for the first time on her card...loving it!) are to just park myself in my COOL basement craft area and make 2 sets of swap cards that are due the end of the month...and I need to crank out an anniversary card for one of brothers/SIL.

Have a great weekend everyone! Stay cool...if it is hot where you are.....Stay safe if you are in the Midwest!!!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-06-2008, 08:09 AM   #482
Insane Embellisher

Oh gosh...I haven't had much stamping time at all. May-now has been very difficult for me. I haven't spent much either so I guess that's good, lol. It looks like I'm going to be giving up SU...unless I have a one of my customers come out of hiding and make my minimum for me!

Victoria...I would LOVE it if you'd share your summer heat with us! We're having windows installed today and it's freezing cold! We've yet to see normal temps for this time of year
Old 06-06-2008, 10:22 AM   #483
Polyshrink Goddess

Tanya,

Send some of your cooler air here......right now it is only 75 degrees with 67% humidity...BUT....the Bermuda High (those of us who live around here dread that) will be here sometime tomorrow morning....with temps reaching 97 degrees and heat index (another phrase that sends us to the thermostats) over 100%.

I suffer from very bad allergies...so once it gets like this I have trouble breathing....so looks like I'm house bound....great for cardmaking though!!!!

Have a great weekend!

PS - we are, hopefully, getting new windows in the fall.....what kind did you get, if you don't mind me asking? I haven't started investigating yet (mainly because I don't know where to start)
Old 06-07-2008, 10:58 AM   #484
Kookie Creator

Tanya, I will keep you and your mom in my prayers. I will send you the Ohio heat too! Whew, talk about humidity.
Gotta go for now. Glad to see others are still plugging away.
God bless!
Old 06-07-2008, 01:41 PM   #485
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by carolc1027View Post
Tanya,

Send some of your cooler air here......right now it is only 75 degrees with 67% humidity...BUT....the Bermuda High (those of us who live around here dread that) will be here sometime tomorrow morning....with temps reaching 97 degrees and heat index (another phrase that sends us to the thermostats) over 100%.

I suffer from very bad allergies...so once it gets like this I have trouble breathing....so looks like I'm house bound....great for cardmaking though!!!!

Have a great weekend!

PS - we are, hopefully, getting new windows in the fall.....what kind did you get, if you don't mind me asking? I haven't started investigating yet (mainly because I don't know where to start)

Oh I use to live in Mississippi and LOVED it...the heat and humidity...brind it on! I live in Idaho now, high desert...so dry it's awful. I also have really bad allergies and living here has been one of the worst places for them!

PM'ing you about the windows...
Old 06-07-2008, 01:48 PM   #486
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pr31stamperView Post
Tanya, I will keep you and your mom in my prayers. I will send you the Ohio heat too! Whew, talk about humidity.
Gotta go for now. Glad to see others are still plugging away.
God bless!
Thank-you Victoria.
Yah...being on the computer is about the only thing I'm doing, lol. I think I've lost my mojo for the moment. Honestly right now I just don't have the desire to create. I'm mentally tired...does that make any sense? I am going to bring some supplies with me to CA, but not enough to make cards with. I think I'll just practice on techniques like copics, lol...brayering (love zindorf!) and also love her baroque motifs pop thing she does with the white gel pen. I'll bring my dsp so I can color some images to match and make the cards later. On the trip home we'll have 3 people and 3 chihuahua's so my stamping supplies is going to have to be minimal.

Anyhow, hope everyone is having a happy stamping weekend!
Old 06-07-2008, 04:35 PM   #487
Kookie Creator

If you are going to color, just stamp your image on the front of some white cardstock and send them as one layer cards. Then you won't have to worry about layering or matching colors to paper. (And you won't have to cut or trim!)
Old 06-07-2008, 04:44 PM   #488
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

If you are going to color, just stamp your image on the front of some white cardstock and send them as one layer cards. Then you won't have to worry about layering or matching colors to paper. (And you won't have to cut or trim!)
That's a great idea! Some of my favorite cards lately have been ones I stamped and colored a simple image on a set of pre-embossed white cards. And the best part is that the cards were in the clearance bin at HL -- easy, fun, AND not a big chunk out of my earned $$ .
Old 06-19-2008, 11:20 AM   #489
Kookie Creator

Hey everyone! How is everyone doing? I just saw on a blog about the new Decor line from SU! I'm a little relieved since I don't have to worry about much of my spending $$ going there. At least, I hope not. We are looking at a home right now and maybe I can try the new stuff to decorate.
Also I had a card club and I bought some pop up dots...because I figured I should benefit from buying them...until I received them yesterday. And realized I got only 75 of them for $4-5!!! I feel a little cheated. But I guess I learned my lesson. And I am so excited to try my classy brass template. Now I just need to find some new layouts, cause I have overused a lot of my favorites.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:43 PM   #490
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks to a SU order (retiring stamps) and Papertrey order (new stamps), I'm back in the red. Not as in the hole as I probably would have been before joining the challenge, though!

Time to get moving on those swap cards, so I don't have the red glaring at me .
Old 06-21-2008, 10:54 PM   #491
Matboard Maniac

I'm joining this challenge : - ) I think it's a great idea. I'm going to try to be a bit stricter. I have a lot of supplies that I need to use up! I'll do 20 cards = $10 and 10 layouts = $5. I don't really alter things, so I won't track that. Luckily I just made a bunch of thank-you cards for a girlfriend that is expecting a baby.

I work part-time at a stamp store for product, so I don't "spend" much anymore - although with the new catalog coming out, I know I'll want to buy a bunch of new things! I look forward to seeing how we all do by the end of the year!
Old 06-22-2008, 05:15 AM   #492
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristastampsView Post
I'm joining this challenge : - ) I think it's a great idea. I'm going to try to be a bit stricter. I have a lot of supplies that I need to use up! I'll do 20 cards = $10 and 10 layouts = $5. I don't really alter things, so I won't track that. Luckily I just made a bunch of thank-you cards for a girlfriend that is expecting a baby.

I work part-time at a stamp store for product, so I don't "spend" much anymore - although with the new catalog coming out, I know I'll want to buy a bunch of new things! I look forward to seeing how we all do by the end of the year!
Welcome to the challenge! It sounds like you have a great attitude and the incentive to jump right in.

I've slipped into the red lately thanks to the 'need' for a new cutter and the temptation of the new Papertrey releases. Time for me get get back on the bandwagon and start using up my supplies, too!
Old 06-22-2008, 02:37 PM   #493
Kookie Creator

Welcome Krista! You definitely started at a good time, with the retiring list and the new catalog coming out.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:28 PM   #494
Glitter Guru

This past week, I have been VERY productive! I did buy the supplies to do this but... I made wedding invitations (80 sets) for my daughter - a full card with 3 stamped panels, the response cards, the reception cards and 3 inserts (all computer generated and stamped!) Last week I made her shower thank yous (25?). So I have to be 'ahead' and should be 'allowed' to buy a couple of PTI sets, right???
Old 06-22-2008, 04:56 PM   #495
Matboard Maniac

Ohhh...I love the Papertrey stuff! I especially love their coordinating paper, inks, and ribbon! I'll try to hold off until I've got enough to spend.

Hey - what's the deal with the exercise credits? Can you explain it to me? I'd like to get in on that, too!
Old 06-23-2008, 12:21 PM   #496
Kookie Creator

I haven't really decided what to do with the Exercise Credits. I just kind of use it as a way to keep track of my minutes. You can use it toward your stamp spending if you want. Hope that helps!
Old 06-23-2008, 02:33 PM   #497
Glitter Queen

I just saw this on someone else's signature. This is such a neat idea!! I'm going to have to try this one out. And I like the exercise points too ^_~ Maybe exercise points could go to spending for a new wardrobe
Old 06-24-2008, 06:31 PM   #498
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtaxView Post
This past week, I have been VERY productive! I did buy the supplies to do this but... I made wedding invitations (80 sets) for my daughter - a full card with 3 stamped panels, the response cards, the reception cards and 3 inserts (all computer generated and stamped!) Last week I made her shower thank yous (25?). So I have to be 'ahead' and should be 'allowed' to buy a couple of PTI sets, right???
Congratulations!

My DD just graduated, so I have been productive as well. First I stamped invitations for her party. Now I have been working on favors. I made little graduation caps - no stamping; just tassels from embroidery floss that I have had for years, square punches, and brads. Today I started thinking about centerpieces. I'm not quite sure what they will be yet, but I punched hundreds of scallops from pretty paper, and glued them to the tops of twizzlers. I'm thinking I'll put them in pretty cups in the center of the table, so they can eat the centerpiece.
After the party, I'll get started on stamping thank you notes.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:03 PM   #499
Kookie Creator

I feel like I have been a little slow-going on the card making lately. I made some thinking of you cards, and a bridal shower card for next Sunday. I'm rarely that far ahead, so that is kind of nice. I have stamp club next week, and I don't have a clue what to get. Anyone else trying to decide whether or not to buy more of the in color paper?

Lynne, did you get everything made??
Old 07-04-2008, 07:17 AM   #500
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

I feel like I have been a little slow-going on the card making lately. I made some thinking of you cards, and a bridal shower card for next Sunday. I'm rarely that far ahead, so that is kind of nice. I have stamp club next week, and I don't have a clue what to get. Anyone else trying to decide whether or not to buy more of the in color paper?

Lynne, did you get everything made??
I did get everything made. Thanks for asking! I have photos on my camera. I just need to upload them. I can't believe how many hours I sat on my butt making those things.

I just placed an order. The only color I got more of was the Purely Pomegranate. I just love that color!!!! I got two packs.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:55 PM   #501
Kookie Creator

Ugh, I had card club tonight. I went with the intentions of only spending $15. Who was I kidding?? Seriously. I bought some paper: pom, pumpkin, apricot, hunter, and the bold brights, and the apricot stamp pad (only one of the colors that I was missing other than some of the neutrals). I didn't want to spend that much, but at least I refrained from buying a stamp set, right? I am still holding out for the new catalog, but I have been eyeing the boho blossoms and the matching punch....
Old 07-11-2008, 08:53 PM   #502
Insane Embellisher

Haha...Victoria...who EVER spends $15 at those clubs??? lol jk. I haven't done any shopping or crafting. The 12X12 box of stuff I brought with me is still taped shut (have to say that is one thing I don't like about them, they don't snap shut and stay shut, just a lid). Anyhow...haven't been up to any crafting since my step dad passed, too much to do at my house before I left and well...I'm a bit stressed out here, pout. Ah well...it will pass, eventually.

Oh...and I did end up giving up my demo'ship. Just SO much stuff going on, I couldn't justify spending $300 on supplies when I didn't "need" anything and it could be better used to help my mom out. Maybe later this year or next when life calms down for me...yah, right!

Have a great weekend ya'll!
Old 07-12-2008, 05:25 AM   #503
Stazon Splitcoast

The stamp club business theory definitely worked on me! Not only did I spend more than $15/month, but then I signed up as a demo and now spend WAY more than $15/month!!

Sorry to hear life is still so unsettled, Tanya. I can understand why crafting would not be at the top of your to do list just now. Hope your mom (and you) find some time to relax and recuperate soon.

And as far as the demoship, I've thought of quitting, too. It was started to save me money, but how can you save money when you always see all the newest and 'funnest' stuff right away?? Even with the discount, it adds up. Ignorance may be bliss in this case!
Old 07-12-2008, 10:12 AM   #504
Kookie Creator

It's almost hte middle of July as I'm finding this thread but I really need to get stamping again if I am to justify purchasing anything from the new catalog and I am soooo tempted by some of the embossing things you all are using. So here I am jumping in feet first with you all.

DH just helped me hang the cabinet over my work station and I did get the area cleaned up a bit so I feel like crafting again. I found the link for SheetLoad cards so I may give some of those a try as a way to "jump start" my creations.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:54 PM   #505
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmesindenView Post
It's almost hte middle of July as I'm finding this thread but I really need to get stamping again if I am to justify purchasing anything from the new catalog and I am soooo tempted by some of the embossing things you all are using. So here I am jumping in feet first with you all.

DH just helped me hang the cabinet over my work station and I did get the area cleaned up a bit so I feel like crafting again. I found the link for SheetLoad cards so I may give some of those a try as a way to "jump start" my creations.
Congratulations on joining the challenge! As you can see, I have a long way to go. It is very eye opening when you tally every single purchase! Good luck to you.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:57 PM   #506
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlazarskiView Post
The stamp club business theory definitely worked on me! Not only did I spend more than $15/month, but then I signed up as a demo and now spend WAY more than $15/month!!

Sorry to hear life is still so unsettled, Tanya. I can understand why crafting would not be at the top of your to do list just now. Hope your mom (and you) find some time to relax and recuperate soon.

And as far as the demoship, I've thought of quitting, too. It was started to save me money, but how can you save money when you always see all the newest and 'funnest' stuff right away?? Even with the discount, it adds up. Ignorance may be bliss in this case!
I always spent more than $15 at my club, but I would get stuff I needed to do an upcoming craft/cards. Eventually I signed up. Now I have all that I need. I have a couple of friends that are hobby demos too and have offered their discount and my step sister just joined too...so, looks like I can still get the discount without having to make a monthly/quarterly minimum. Kind of makes it nice.

Thank-you for your kind words I end up getting stressed out after being here a while...I think the beach is calling my name!
Old 07-12-2008, 02:59 PM   #507
Insane Embellisher

Ah...I forgot to add...Welcome Christine S. to the challenge! Sometimes cleaning and reorganizing your work station is all you need to give you that jump start to creating again...best of luck with your spending!!!
Old 07-14-2008, 09:00 AM   #508
Glitter Queen

Hopefully this challenge will force me to use what I have already!!! Effective today-July 14, 2008 I AM GOING TO DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take me home country roads, life in the fast lane not for me!
Old 07-21-2008, 12:50 PM   #509
Polyshrink Goddess

I've been reading about the stamp to spend challenge on some of your signature lines and I think it's high time I joined in. So other than adding to my signature line & keeping track, is there anything else I need to do? Thanks - Teresa
Old 07-21-2008, 01:18 PM   #510
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsclark2001View Post
I've been reading about the stamp to spend challenge on some of your signature lines and I think it's high time I joined in. So other than adding to my signature line & keeping track, is there anything else I need to do? Thanks - Teresa
Welcome, Teresa and countrybumpkin from the previous post!!

There are no real requirements for Stamp to Spend, just a willingness to be accountable . And the sig line is a great way to do that; it's a little embarrassing to be in the red, so I work really hard to get that number down!

STS has actually fueled my creativity since I now try to work with what I have instead of immediately going shopping. Not to say that I don't shop (especially with the In Colors retiring!), but it's definitely made me stop and really think if I need something before I buy. Hope it helps you, too!
Old 07-21-2008, 01:20 PM   #511
Mad Swapper

I'm swinging back around to this thread. I haven't been stamping much at all, but I've been cranking out the scrapbbok pages! I'm still in the hole....but working on closing the gap!
Old 07-27-2008, 11:58 AM   #512
Kookie Creator

Default Thank you for the welcome

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangegymnutView Post
Ah...I forgot to add...Welcome Christine S. to the challenge! Sometimes cleaning and reorganizing your work station is all you need to give you that jump start to creating again...best of luck with your spending!!!
Thanks for the welcome. You are right the cleaning up and organizing really jump started my work. I even got my ribbons out so they can be used! I think I have my signature line set up and you can see that I was able to get those baby steps going.

I will admit that as I jumped in here I did have some leftover birthday money that I used to purchase a couple of the CB embossing folders everyone is talking about. Very cool! But I bought them on sale and am using my pasta maker to get them working.

Now if I could just find out if the pasta maker would work for the Nesties!

Thanks for the inspiration.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:49 PM   #513
Polyshrink Goddess

I think I cheated to get ahead of the curve! I went through my stash of images that I had colored long ago (and then abandoned) and whipped up some cards with them. I even used up some card candy from a swap.

I too cleaned up my workstation and I'm ready for more! I even have my first real paying card making job. My MIL's friends from her coffee circle love my work and have requested lots of cards for various occasions. I didn't even ask about the price, because that's not really important. I'm thinking I can use up my stash AND get stamp to spend credit at the same time.

That leaves more $$ for newer goodies!

This is fun! I mentioned the idea to a quilting friend and she loves the idea too!

Oh yeah - I'm even counting the spending I'm doing for a SCS secret sister!
Old 07-27-2008, 12:55 PM   #514
Matboard Maniac

Some of you are doing really well! I'm so-so. In debt $45 basically. Oops!
Old 07-27-2008, 01:00 PM   #515
Kookie Creator

Quote:

I think I cheated to get ahead of the curve! I went through my stash of images that I had colored long ago (and then abandoned) and whipped up some cards with them. I even used up some card candy from a swap.

I too cleaned up my workstation and I'm ready for more! I even have my first real paying card making job. My MIL's friends from her coffee circle love my work and have requested lots of cards for various occasions. I didn't even ask about the price, because that's not really important. I'm thinking I can use up my stash AND get stamp to spend credit at the same time.

That leaves more $$ for newer goodies!

This is fun! I mentioned the idea to a quilting friend and she loves the idea too!

Oh yeah - I'm even counting the spending I'm doing for a SCS secret sister!
Not cheating, it was being thrifty to use what you had laying around.
Congrats on the card making job! You are doing great to be able to count the spending you are doing for a SCS SS! I am glad I didn't have to make that decission! LOL!
Old 07-27-2008, 01:07 PM   #516
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmesindenView Post
Not cheating, it was being thrifty to use what you had laying around.
Congrats on the card making job! You are doing great to be able to count the spending you are doing for a SCS SS! I am glad I didn't have to make that decission! LOL!
I figure if I wasn't stamping I wouldn't be having a secret sis! And I really do have a huge stash to use up - the DP and ribbon alone - yikes!
Old 07-27-2008, 02:26 PM   #517
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I agree with Christine -- that's not at all cheating, it's the purpose of this challenge! So many times I used to go out and buy new, only to realize I had something similiar at home. The challenge definitely curbs the impulse buys!

Congrats on your card sales, too!
Old 07-28-2008, 05:24 AM   #518
Kookie Creator

Welcome everyone new! Jessica, I totally agree about curbing those impulse buys! I even used a set from 2004 the other day--I forgot all about it. Now I just have to work through my monsterous paper pile. And my mini-goal is to not buy this years in-colors. I realized the other day how many retired stamp pads i have and that could be some new stamp sets.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:18 AM   #519
Cat
Die Cut Diva

ok, i've seen this thread pop up to the first page a few times, but mostly i've ignored it. then i started seeing everyone's signatures with their spending allocation, and i kept thinking "i don't spend so much; i sell stuff i make and usually only spend what's in my PayPal account; i only spent $10 cash at Mike's [or Jo's, or my LSS] so that's not really much, is it?".

well, i just joined a swap [thanks for enabling me, jessica!] and had to buy stamps because i didn't own any that were required! and i went a little crazy and bought more than a few... and, with today's economy, what i'm making on my crafts really should go back into the household, right? and, i'm not creating nearly enough to make up for what i'm spending...

so, i'm going to be accountable, starting today.
Quote:

Originally Posted by STS Thread
each card = 1 point, each scrapbook layout [does size matter?] = 4 points, each altered item = 2 points. each point equals $1 in spending allotment.
have i got that right? it looks like everyone has tweaked the counts a little to personalize them.
Quote:

Originally Posted by STS Thread
exercise = 1 point for each 10 minutes
and, the exercise credits? i'm going to add those too since i'm currently *supposed to be* rehabbing after knee surgery, but, i'm only going to take the credits if i meet a minimum of 180 minutes a week.

and, what if i sell stamp sets, or old supplies? should those count towards my spending?

somebody, please check my math and make sure i'm not 'padding' things

my PunchPal Too | my SU! Inventory File | my Tickets Too: shown on my website
my free downloadable calendar templates here
Old 07-28-2008, 08:42 AM   #520
Kookie Creator

I think all of us tweak it to fit our own budget/overstock/over spending issues. I just started and may need to tweak mine a bit more. I too was hoping for some help with this.

I am not new to stamping but I have been out of it for a while. I do have a nice collection of stamps but I do not have as much paper/accessories/tools as many so ....

I guess my goal was to make sure I am using but also be able to get a few of the things that I want/need to be able to make more. Does this make sense?

I am also wanting to kick it in gear and do some really nice gifts for Christmas. These would be for close family so I wouldn't mind spending a bit for something. I know when you do the "token gifts" you want to really watch the money.

Ugh! Sorry for the rambling.