Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-14-2006, 02:12 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stamp Pad (classic) for watercolour?

hi all..

I've been reading that you can use the Classi stamp pad from SU for watercolouring...how would I do this? Put some ink on the top lid? How would I get the ink there in the first place and if I left the lid open while watercolouring, wouldn't it dry out? Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2006, 02:16 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Your pads won't dry out unless you leave them open for days. I've left one open overnight & it was fine.

To get ink into the lid, just squeeze the case while in the CLOSED position. There is enough "give" in the lid to allow it to touch the pad. Open it up & use your Blender pens or watercolor brush to pick up the ink.

My itty bitty gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2006, 02:18 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

While the ink pad is still closed - squeeze the sides (big one) together. This will put some ink on the lid when you open it. Then just use a watercolor brush or the aquapainter to pick up the ink - scribble in the lid until you get the intensity you want. The pad won't dry out while you are coloring - unless it takes you longer than .......well a long time to color.....like an hour or so.
SCS member #549
My Gallery
"Let your little light shine...."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2006, 02:19 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Well, aren't we just salt and pepper, Kelly?....lol
I should also mention you can put a drop or two of re-inker in your pad lid instead.
SCS member #549
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2006, 02:21 PM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks both of you! quick replies!

Now, i have another question: What 'pens' do I use? Is it this brushes with a 'hole' to fill water in? And would I use the same pen for a few colours (rinse between colours?) ... I"m new to this! And how does this method differe from those cryons you can get in the catalogue for colouring?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2006, 02:26 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

An aquapainter is a plastic brush with a barrel that you fill with water. The beauty of it is that you can just wipe it off on a paper towel and change colors. Much easier than cleaning off a brush and you don't need to have a cup of water nearby (danger!!). However, the aquapainter is really for not for serious watercoloring -- like a painting. It works perfectly, however, for stamping because we are usually coloring in a fairly small space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2006, 02:27 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

The blender pens that Kelly referred to are the ones sold in the catalog - same ones you would use for crayons, or pastels or watercolor pencils.
The aquapainter is the one that unscrews to put water in. In between colors just squeeze a LITTLE water out and wipe on a paper towel or rag or just scrap paper. This method is not that different from using crayons but with the crayons you can achieve a more intense color....
actually not that different....depends on what you have available
SCS member #549
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2006, 02:29 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

You're so smart Joan.....
SCS member #549
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2006, 02:31 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

I find that the Aquapainter combined with the wet ink is too much liquid. I like the blender pen or watercolor brush with the ink. I like the Aquapainter with the watercolor crayons. For the pastels, I either use them dry or with the blender pen.

My itty bitty gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2006, 02:40 PM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

YIkes! :confused: Call me a newbie, but I was wondering if you were speaking in English! Heehe..lots of good info, but could you kindly clarify:

Squapainter combined with the 'wet ink' is too much liquid - are you referring to both classic AND craft ink?

What is the blender pen or watercolour brush?

And off this quote, but does chalk work the same way? I have pebbles one.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelly.sutterfield
I find that the Aquapainter combined with the wet ink is too much liquid. I like the blender pen or watercolor brush with the ink. I like the Aquapainter with the watercolor crayons. For the pastels, I either use them dry or with the blender pen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2006, 02:40 PM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

Kathy, if I can use the re-inker, then can't I just put it somewhere else other than the pad lid?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathyj30
Well, aren't we just salt and pepper, Kelly?....lol
I should also mention you can put a drop or two of re-inker in your pad lid instead.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2006, 02:41 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I agree with Kelly. I use an aquapainter but dry the bristles on the lid of my stamp scrub. I do this each time I change color (sometimes, I just paint a few strokes on paper until it goes clear too).

I do ALL my coloring this way right now as I don't have the crayons and I don't get along with the chalks (maybe 'cos I don't have blender pens?).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2006, 03:37 PM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeBeCaKeS
Kathy, if I can use the re-inker, then can't I just put it somewhere else other than the pad lid?
I'm not Kathy, but I'll answer this. You can put the ink from the re-inker someplace other than the pad lid, but by putting it in the pad lid, you won't be wasting the re-inker ink if you don't use it all during the watercoloring. The re-inkers are pretty concentrated, so one drop will cover a lot. I was in a hurry once and just put a drop of my re-inker colors I wanted on the plastic lid from a coffee can. I colored a bunch of images, but still had a bunch of color left on the coffee can lid from the one drop. I ended up rinsing off the lid and thought what a waste it was. I should have taken the extra time to pull out my matching pads and put it in the pad lid. That way, when you close it back up, it just re-inks your pad some.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2006, 03:39 PM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

Gotcha...thanks alot! That explains it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by geogymnast82
I'm not Kathy, but I'll answer this. You can put the ink from the re-inker someplace other than the pad lid, but by putting it in the pad lid, you won't be wasting the re-inker ink if you don't use it all during the watercoloring. The re-inkers are pretty concentrated, so one drop will cover a lot. I was in a hurry once and just put a drop of my re-inker colors I wanted on the plastic lid from a coffee can. I colored a bunch of images, but still had a bunch of color left on the coffee can lid from the one drop. I ended up rinsing off the lid and thought what a waste it was. I should have taken the extra time to pull out my matching pads and put it in the pad lid. That way, when you close it back up, it just re-inks your pad some.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2006, 04:37 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeBeCaKeS
YIkes! :confused: Call me a newbie, but I was wondering if you were speaking in English! Heehe..lots of good info, but could you kindly clarify:

Squapainter combined with the 'wet ink' is too much liquid - are you referring to both classic AND craft ink?

What is the blender pen or watercolour brush?

And off this quote, but does chalk work the same way? I have pebbles one.
I haven't tried to watercolor with the Craft inks, so I can't answer that question. What I meant was that the paper just gets too wet if I try to use the Aquapainter with ink. It's just too much fluid.

The blender pen that I keep referring to is a glycerin-based pen. It is double-tipped with a marker tip, but there is NO color. It is used to blend chalks (pastels), inks, or the watercolor crayons. You don't rinse it between colors, you just need to mark off the excess color onto scratch paper to clean it. Stampin' Up sells them in packs of 3.

The watercolor brush is just a paintbrush used for watercoloring. Stampin' Up sells these too, in different sizes. But they are readily available at any art or craft store.

My itty bitty gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2006, 04:52 PM   #16  
Glitter Guru

I have watercolored with the craft inks and the aqua pen, works just fine, the ink is just *thicker*. I have never used a blender pen to do coloring, so can't answer that, only ever used an aqua painter. Love them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2006, 08:10 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Regarding the re-inkers, you don't have to rinse whatever surface you put the ink on. You can save it to reuse later; the liquid from the pen reactivates it. You can use the lid to a stamp case, CD, or even a foam plate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2006, 04:24 AM   #18  
mothermcbride

I love to watercolor with my aquapainter and use it for all watercoloring including the ink pad lid ink. You just have to make sure it's pretty dry, especially if using ink. I don't squeeze it until I can no longer move ink. Even then, I wipe it on my pants or the back of my hand until it reaches the dryness I like. The back of my left hand is usually very rainbow-like. ;) Sometimes, I actually use the colors from the back of my hand.

Reply With Quote Likes