Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-14-2008, 11:50 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stamp/Crop hostess etiquette ?

I am going to be hosting a crop night at my home. I am not a demo, I just want to have some people over who enjoy stamping, making cards, and scrap booking. I enjoy sharing, but I have seen how these ladies use our demo's things. I do not want my stamps or other products treated so poorly.

Any suggestions on any aspect of being a crop night hostess? Do I let them borrow my things? What is the general etiquette on borrowing from others at a crop? How do I gently but firmly convey that I expect my things to be treated well, and what do I do if they don't take care of my things?

I appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2008, 11:57 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Maybe if they ask to borrow a stamp, give them it along with the stamp scrub.. That's what I do when I let people borrow my stuff... I let them know what MY standards are and what MY routine is.. I've never had hurt feelings....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2008, 04:21 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Sadly there are no ways to guarantee how things will go. I stamped with a group of ladies for several years and we always just shared and took care of our things but all of us were a bit alike in that we liked our stuff kept neat. We did have a few people join us that were not as neat and tidy. We would do as suggested with having plenty of stamp scrubs out and even talking about the "best ways to keep them clean and such".

I guess what I am saying is, do you know the habits of those you are inviting? If they are really messy and laissez-faire that probably will be what they do at your house. You can make a few discrete comments but you can only do so much.

Enjoy your time stamping with others!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2008, 05:19 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

I'd just start the night by giving instructions and making it clear what you expect from sharing your personal supplies. Since you aren't a demo, it is just from the kindness of your heart that you are enabling the attendees to have a great evening--and you need to make sure it ends up a great evening for YOU as well :-). Just be clear at the outset and I'm sure everyone will comply.
TAC demo #2239
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2008, 08:07 AM   #5  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lgulottaView Post
I'd just start the night by giving instructions and making it clear what you expect from sharing your personal supplies. Since you aren't a demo, it is just from the kindness of your heart that you are enabling the attendees to have a great evening--and you need to make sure it ends up a great evening for YOU as well :-). Just be clear at the outset and I'm sure everyone will comply.

Things can get ruined and if you are not prepared to handle it well then let everyone know before they come that they are expected to bring their own supplies and you should not share anything of yours.

If you teaching a project ,then give them the supply list in advance with notice that they need to have their own supplies and tools as extras will not be available.

If they are bringing their own projects, then remind them to bring their own supplies. If someone asks to use something of yours that could be ruined (like rocking a stamp or smashing down the tip of a marker) you can offer to stamp if for them or color the marker on a piece of wax paper and let them use it as a pallete.

Some people don't care (I don't care if a stamp gets dirty, I do it to myself) but I do care if they smoosh a marker and no amount of warning is going to stop it. The best thing is don't bring out anything that you do not want to ruined. Good luck and I hope you have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2008, 08:50 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

I get together with girlfriends once a month for a "Craft Night". I have more stuff than anyone else and I always put it all out to be used. Some people aren't as careful as others and ink has gotten on some of my wood, but I don't really care. I would suggest that if there is something in particular that you are concerned about being damaged, don't set it out. As far as your papers and such, don't set out the nice stuff unless you're willing to see it used. My friend who hosted last night stocked up on JoAnn's paper (less expensive) for those who didn't bring their own stuff (newbies).

Having said that, I have loved having our crafty nights and there have been a lot of people that have come to realize that the DO have a creative side in them. I get a lot out of helping people find that out about themselves.

By the way, I am not a demo for any company.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2008, 10:21 AM   #7  
Watercolor Wizard

Same as everyone else. I ask that my stamps are cleaned after each use, please take care not to ruin my ink pads (muddling colors, etc.) I have had problems in the past. I told my group that if they planned to come over (I have more room & stuff than many in the group) they would be charged a nominal fee for the replacement of items that were being used up or were ruined after these nights. It became a choice - 1. bring your own; 2. take care of mine like it was yours (or better), 3. pay $10 and possibly lose the privelege of coming over with the group.

You'd be surprised how quickly that stopped people from mishandling my things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2008, 10:28 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by teacher4416View Post
It became a choice - 1. bring your own; 2. take care of mine like it was yours (or better), 3. pay $10 and possibly lose the privelege of coming over with the group.
You'd be surprised how quickly that stopped people from mishandling my things.
That's a good idea. My problem is that there are guests of the regulars that attend and they are usually new to stamping. I guess it just depends on who you are talking about. If they are regulars I could definitely see how this method would work to get people to pay attention to what they're doing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2008, 11:21 AM   #9  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's like when you invite other kids over ... or anything similar ... if there's something you don't want broken, then hide it.
Unfortunately, if you host people at your house AND share your products, then they will probably not treat things with as much care as you do.

So ... as hostess ... can you be gracious? or do you want to keep some stuff hidden? Or, as others have suggested, just say BYOS (Bring Your Own Suppllies).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2008, 02:16 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks for the suggestions. I plan on everyone bringing most of their own supplies. I can supply scissors and a paper trimmer. I don't mind sharing other supplies IF they are taken care of.

Yes, I have seen them use other people's items and how they stamp. They are very messy. I imagine they are at home with their own products too. I guess I will be keeping the copics hidden and anything else I would be really sad to see ruined.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2008, 04:14 PM   #11  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Alice*View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I plan on everyone bringing most of their own supplies. I can supply scissors and a paper trimmer. I don't mind sharing other supplies IF they are taken care of.

Yes, I have seen them use other people's items and how they stamp. They are very messy. I imagine they are at home with their own products too. I guess I will be keeping the copics hidden and anything else I would be really sad to see ruined.
Oh definitely!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2008, 06:04 PM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Good luck.

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2008, 07:12 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

I am the oraganizer of a monthly group. It helps that we usually have someone fairly new with us each time. It gives me the perfect opportunity to go over how to clean the stamps and point out the cleaning pads and spray that are located on the sharing table. It is good for the newbies and the more forgetful people to hear the reminders. We do usually ask that everyone bring their preferred supplies for coloring so I don't usually have to worry about the markers and such.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2008, 03:47 PM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I stamp pretty regularly with friends whose "philosophy" of keeping rubber clean is different than miine. I never bring out the good stuff. I just hate to have my wood stained. Now I am getting more and more UM stamps so it is becoming less of an issue for me

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2008, 08:45 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

I host regular stamp & scrap get togethers at my home (I have a large family room with 3 tables & enough chairs for 10 - 12 people at a time). Some of these are where I teach others are just for fun with friends. Each time I explain my rules for using my things. Those who have been coming for 3 or more years now, know them & do it with out thinking, any newbies, see them & hear my rules & it seems to work. I haven't had anything trashed in over 5 years now, & I hold kids classes/b'day parties too.

I have found that being honest with people has been the best policy for me. I've told them that these stamps/inks/pen/etc, have cost me a lot of money & it has taken me 20 years to build up this 'collection', I would like it looked after. Nobody has taken offense to that, so far & everybody has taken good care of my things without me having to hide anything. So I guess I have been lucky in that department too.

Sorry, I didn't mean to ramble, but this is a subject close to my heart, 'cause I don't like to see peoples things being treated improperly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2008, 09:33 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

I know when I did my first class I told them right up front kind of kidding but not, theat if they ruin my stuff they have to buy me another. I did not have to worry though because they treat thingsd very well.

I would be honest and just tell them. Or do a little training on how to ink stamps and how to clean them. Not everyone know the proper way. I had to show someone how to properly use a blender pen, because if I didnt it would have been hash when she was done.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2008, 11:47 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks ladies. It really helps to hear that just being up front at the get go is the best thing to do.
Reply With Quote Likes