Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-07-2020, 06:10 PM   #1
Pearl-ExPert

Default Spellbinders cutting plates....

I got the Spellbinder's Platinum 8.5 die cutter the other day. I already have a warped plate. Was thinking of buying some extra (just in case).
I wondered if it would work with the regular size Spellbinder plates, even though it comes with the large platform?
I have been using a different sandwich, and it seems to be helping. Using the white platform on bottom, then a magnetic vent to hold the die, die (cutting side up), paper, self healing mat and then the cutting mat on top.
I cut a Gemini die on it a few times the other day, and I think that caused a lot of the warping. Not using that die again, as it was so hard to crank through, I worried it would break it.
Does anyone know if you can use the regular Spellbinder plates with it (not the xlg ones) along with the platform?
Any insights are appreciated!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-07-2020, 10:08 PM   #2
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I can't speak for the Spellbinders, but I use the regular Big Shot plates 90% of the time on the Big Shot Plus platform, and have had no problems.
whim6915 and hoptownracer1 like this post.
Old Yesterday, 05:46 AM   #3
Stampin' Fool

Depends on what you mean by "regular". Large and small Platinum platforms, plates etc are interchangeable on the larger Platform machine. Big Shot accessories can be used as well.

It is my understanding that Wizard and other prior Spellbinder machine accessories are not compatible with the Platinum machine, however, if that is what you are talking about.

I love, love, love my larger Platinum machine. It will loosen up a bit with use and still cut things out with only one pass. No more running things back and forth several times, whoo - hooo!
hoptownracer1 likes this post.
Old Yesterday, 06:57 AM   #4
Mad Swapper

My daughter's machine came with the smaller size cutting plates and it works perfectly. She has the Platinum like you are talking about.

Featured Stamper #671
Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM   #5
Gallery Gazer

I don’t know if it would help, but my plates (for the Gemini Junior) are both flipped and turned with almost every pass - bottom one 100% and top one most of the time - and had virtually no warping for months - until just for fun I used an ancient, thick Cuttlebug die, which did cut the cardstock but cracked the plate. My total doofusness.

Curious about the Gemini die - Crafters Companion? I have a couple though donated most, and they seem to be the thickness of other thin dies. All thin dies were interchangeable on my manual machine, and now with the Gemini Junior. Were you shimming or was the die different than others?

Last edited by bjeans; Yesterday at 10:00 AM..
Old Yesterday, 10:17 AM   #6
Pearl-ExPert

Yes, i was referring to the smaller plates that came with the Spellbinder Platinum 8.5 previously before they started coming with the large ones. I wasnt sure if they would work o.k.with the large platform, but I guess they would. Thanks for letting me know that the Big shot stuff works on it too.
Ill share a pic or link to the Gemini die I was referring to later when I get a chance. It is a busy die with a lot of metal in it to cut the paper.
I know from reading reviews on Amazon that the Grand Caliber platform\plates do Not work with it despite some claims that it does that I saw online. Thanks for the info and help! So appreciated!
stampin stacy likes this post.
Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM   #7
Pearl-ExPert

Here is the die that I had trouble getting through the Spellbinder.
https://www.crafterscompanion.com/ge...rn-swirls.html It was on clearance at Hobby Lobby.
I'm going to see if there is another way to cut it out; like with maybe a rolling pin and metal shim or by scraping something across the back of the cardstock over it.
One of the reviews on hsn said that it was too big for an A2 card, and another on amazon said it didn't cut out well.  I guess I will fool with it later when I have more time.
The hsn listing says it is 4.1" x 5.8".  Yes, too big for A2, but maybe it would fit on a 5x7 or a gift bag.

Last edited by hoptownracer1; Yesterday at 09:17 PM..
Old Yesterday, 09:25 PM   #8
Pearl-ExPert

Found a tutorial on Youtube in case anyone else is having the same trouble with a die. Might be hard to do with such a busy one.