Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-03-2008, 08:35 AM   #41
Rubber Obsessor

Yes. If you would sign up this month, then any sales from now to Jun 30 would go toward your first quarter sales as a new demo. After that, it would just be the regular 3 month quarters. They just want to make sure you have a full quarter, and are on the same schedule as all of the other SU demos.
Dyana
Old 02-03-2008, 09:09 AM   #42
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedtoStamps View Post
Dyana ~ so any sales from mid-Feb until the end of June count?
That's right -- anything you sell/buy after you get your demo ID number through June counts towards your first quarterly minimum. After that the requirement is $300 in sales/purchases every 3 months.

And I'll echo Dyana's statement that making quarterly minimums is not a big deal if you're willing to put in a bit of work. I've never had a problem meeting the quarterly minimum requirement and since I joined in June 2006 there has only been one month towards the beginning when my sales did not reach the $400 you need to get a volume rebate, and even in that month my sales were over $300.

On the other hand, customers didn't come banging on my door begging me to sell them stuff -- I had to go out and find them and then had to keep working to keep them by making sure they're informed of the latest specials, offering classes, doing parties, etc. This is a business and it does take time and work, but not nearly as much time and work as other businesses and most of the time the work is fun! Like any other business venture, though, what you're willing to put into it will largely determine what you get out of it.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-03-2008, 09:19 AM   #43
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie Welch View Post
Niki, you have some really cute things on your blog!! I loved your coloring experiment! So cool to see the different results!!
I second that Melanie. Niki, I LOVE your blog!! I also think your stamping desk/work area is the bomb!!! You and your husband really outdid yourself. You thought of pretty much everything (maximized the storage etc...). Love the built in ribbon holders in the shelves as well as the cubbies for your stamp pads. Wow!
Old 02-03-2008, 09:36 AM   #44
Hardware Hotshot

For those thinking about joining, Diane has made an excellent point--if you are willing to work at the business, and treat it like a business you will have no problem meeting your quarterly minimums. For me $300 is one average workshop--that means if I want to take a step back from my business, I only need to hold one average workshop every three months. Now, generally I exceed that so that I can earn a greater commission on my sales, as well as a commission on the sales of the other girls in my downline.

I have been a demonstrator for close to 7 years now, initially joining solely to get a 20% discount on my stamps. I have nver regreeted my decision to join and have enjoyed all of the experiences I have encountered and the people I have met as a result of my business.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:55 AM   #45
Gallery Gazer

I am so thankful for all of this priceless advice. Thank you ladies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampwithdiane View Post
On the other hand, customers didn't come banging on my door begging me to sell them stuff -- I had to go out and find them and then had to keep working to keep them by making sure they're informed of the latest specials, offering classes, doing parties, etc. This is a business and it does take time and work, but not nearly as much time and work as other businesses and most of the time the work is fun! Like any other business venture, though, what you're willing to put into it will largely determine what you get out of it.

Diane, I have a question for you. How did you go about and "look" for your customers? That would be my biggest struggle if I decide to become a sales demo vs. just a hobby demo.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:17 AM   #46
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycrunchymama View Post
I am so thankful for all of this priceless advice. Thank you ladies!

Diane, I have a question for you. How did you go about and "look" for your customers? That would be my biggest struggle if I decide to become a sales demo vs. just a hobby demo.
At first I asked people I knew to hold parties to help me get started. My aunt held a workshop for me as a favor (she's not really a stamper) and introduced me to her co-workers and neighbors. One of her neighbors booked a party and introduced me to her friends and co-workers. In fact, that neighbor ended up being my first recruit.

Then I asked one of my co-workers to host a party. She said she didn't really do parties, but that her daughter was crafty and that she would ask her daughter to host a party, which she did. So I met another bunch of people I didn't know before and they ended up booking parties and introducing me to yet more people.

One of my husband's co-workers came to my first open house and brought her sister-in-law. They ended up co-hosting a party and I met yet more people I didn't know before I started.

From there it just kind of grew -- more parties, more new people. I also do one or two craft shows per year and get contacts by holding a raffle. And I talk to everyone about my business and invite them to look at my blog and check out my classes.

Every business oriented demonstrator will tell you that doing parties is the most important thing you can do to grow your business. It's hands-down the best way to get a steady stream of new customers to grow your business and to replace the customers who naturally leave after a time (hard to believe, I know, but not everyone is as obsessed with stamping as people here on SCS). There are other ways to find new customers (a referral program for your existing cusomters, for example) but none are as effective as parties. So if you're going into the demonstrator business thinking that you'll have a thriving and growing business without doing any parties, I'm sorry to say that would be the exception, not the rule. Now, you can certainly meet your minimums with just a club or two made up of your close friends, and if that's what you're looking to take out of your business then that's fine, but if you want to grow you have to overcome shyness and self-consciousness and go out there otr get on the phone and talk about your business, and do parties.

I also have to say that I personally love doing parties and classes. There's nothing better than introducing someone to stamping, especially someone who came to the party thinking they would be bored and ends up having the time of her life. I get a huge amount of personal satisfaction from showign people not only that they can be creative, but that often being creative is exactly what was missing in their lives. Not everyone has a job where they can improve the lives of the people they meet, and I think demonstrators do that on a regular basis so we're really very, very lucky!
Old 02-03-2008, 03:06 PM   #47
Rubber Obsessor

I too, put time into my business, but it is time well spent! When I first got started, I asked a few close relatives who were just getting into scrapbooking/card-making, if they would like to host a workshop. I don't know how most other demos handle their workshops, but I do at least one make-n-take. Customers like to try things out, get their fingers inky. I also do a three booking box or bag. If one person books, the hostess get's to hold the box. If two book, the get to untie the ribbon, and if three book, they get to open the box and keep everything inside. The customers are just as anxious to see what's in the box as the hostess! I always have a stamp set of some sort in the box (can use freely earned SAB sets, or other sets) maybe some ribbons and 6 x 6 paper, and a few pieces of hodgepodge hardware. If for some reason the customer has that stamp set already, I allow them to choose any $19.95 set. This get's me 3 bookings at more than half of my workshops! Also, people can tell if you really love the business. Talk about your hobby with everyone, and casually throw in that you actually do your hobby as a business too and have classes and workshops. When I mention I will do themed get together's as well, people really seem to think "Party Time!". Anyway, good luck to you, whatever you would decide!
Old 02-03-2008, 03:41 PM   #48
Rubber Obsessor

I am glad there are ladies like you to answe all the "newbies" questions.
I sign up on the 19th.
~Marie
Old 02-04-2008, 02:02 PM   #49
Pearl-ExPert

I have a question. If you sign up to be a demo, how do you accept debit or credit card payments from your customers? How does that work?
Old 02-04-2008, 02:13 PM   #50
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Right now, you would be responsible for signing up for a service yourself to process credit cards (such as Propay). Or if you have a Paypal account customers could use their credit cards that way and send their payments to you. In the future (no date announced yet that I know of) Stampin' Up! will provide credit card processing for us through our ordering system.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:01 PM   #51
Stampin' Fool

This has been very interesting info. Thanks.

Remember - never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
Fan Club Member
Old 03-06-2008, 11:50 AM   #52
Cardstock Collector

I know this is a bit late, but maybe it will be helpful to others who are looking for info on becoming a demo. I was a demo for several years, and wrote a short article on the pros and cons of becoming a SU demo. It may answer some questions.

Go to www associatedcontent com (sorry, add dots where there are spaces, it won't let me add URL) and search for "pros cons stampin up consultant"