Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-06-2007, 07:33 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face So why do I keep buying stamps

I very seldom have the desire to stamp, but yet I feel the need
to buy every cute stamp set I want. My darn consultant got me
hooked.
I suppose its like any hobby-----I just wish I put it to use.
Kind of reminds me of the beanie baby craze. They were so cute I just "had" to get so many of them.
Now I have a big basket of those sitting around too.
Keeps us out of trouble I guess--- well kinda
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2007, 07:43 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

One thing that can get you interested in stamping is to go to stamping events - run by your demonstrator, for example. Being around other stampers and seeing what they're doing always gets me motivated and using all my goodies more often!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2007, 07:49 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

I'll trade you my beanie babies for your stamps and I will toss in tons of counted cross stitching stuff, beads, quilting stuff, fabric and notions galore, and some old scrapbooking stuff, as well as a box of "other" craft stuff. Deal of no deal?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2007, 07:51 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

Smile Why do we Buy Stamps?

I found myself also buying stamps sets and buying retired sets on ebay and I have really enjoyed collecting them and I am finally enjoying using them too

I finally started sitting down and creating a few cards, I use the gallery for ideas. I went to the galleries for each set that I had which gave me tons of inspiration.

I have a couple of girls from work come to my house once a month and we make cards or try a new technique that I have learned through this site. Today we made valentines cards like the one in my gallery and also Valentines candles. It is lots of fun and I am really enjoying my stamps and plan to become a SU demo in the near future.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2007, 02:12 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that there are many others like you....you are a collector, not a stamper. Guess there's nothing wrong with that, but you could try getting interested in stamping in a number of ways, such as those already mentioned.
But I have to warn you.....it's very addictive, and you'll find your collection growing even larger![IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif[/IMG]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2007, 06:10 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I keep switching from being a collector to being a stamper. This has been an ongoing love/hate relationship for about 10 years now. In the end I'm truly glad I still collected when I didn't stamp. I have a wonderful collection that I acquired over the years. I wouldn't sell or trade any of them!

This craze has lasted longer than my beanie baby one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2007, 06:33 AM   #7  
Knit, Purl, Stamp

I'm a collecter and a heavy user!! I have lots of sets that I *had* to have, but now I never use them.....but I won't part with them either!

My Gallery
My Blog - My adventures in knitting
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2007, 06:51 AM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

I tend to collect stamps more than use them. But when i can finally sit down and use them I love it! It just takes a lot for me to get there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2007, 07:24 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I highly recommend finding another person or group of people to stamp with. I know for me, I tend to do more stamping/scrapping that way.

Jane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2007, 07:27 AM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by troopersma
I highly recommend finding another person or group of people to stamp with. I know for me, I tend to do more stamping/scrapping that way.

Jane
I tried this- and now I have 2 awesome friends who I love to go visit and talk with, while we all look at our stamps! (Occasionally, someone actually puts ink to paper LOL)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2007, 07:39 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Stamping is one of the most versatile hobbies. Perhaps doing the weekly challenges would spur you into activity. ;) I don't really post my stuff but sometimes when I find I need a little help, I do one of the challenges just for me. Maybe you're one of those people that do better when you are doing for others. In that case, make a whole bunch of cards either for a local senior citizens home or one of the great on-line card collecting site that give to terminally ill patients. Hey, keep collecting, but get busy making some stuff!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2007, 08:05 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

I find it easier to do one occasion at a time (birthday, etc.) than multiple cards, such as I do for my stamping group. Last week I did a birthday card and a sympathy card, and it seemed easier to have something to concentrate on. When doing multiples, it can be boring.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2007, 08:28 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Smile Addict/User

Quote:

Originally Posted by mungojerry
Stamping is one of the most versatile hobbies. Perhaps doing the weekly challenges would spur you into activity. ;) I don't really post my stuff but sometimes when I find I need a little help, I do one of the challenges just for me. Maybe you're one of those people that do better when you are doing for others. In that case, make a whole bunch of cards either for a local senior citizens home or one of the great on-line card collecting site that give to terminally ill patients. Hey, keep collecting, but get busy making some stuff!!!!
Great idea!! I am both an addict collector and a heavy user!! I just placed over 200.00 order for SAB! I think of this as money invested in my emergency gift/donation, volunteer, host closet. Forget someone's B-day @ work-hit the closet for a set of cards or scrapbook album for a gift. Need door prizes or donations for a crop you host/attend, once again hit the closet for some pre-made goodies. Asked to do something at church/school for a project-hit the closet and drag out an idea!!! (mainly on this one I hit my overflowing stash for things needed for the project)

I usually spend time everyday doing something in my stamp/scrap stash. Not always physically stamping/scrapping -sometimes organizing pages, photos, die cutting for planned projects, compiling shopping list for an upcoming event.
It's all part of the process-enjoy every minute of it-this is what I use to take me away instead of Calgon!:p
Dawn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2007, 08:58 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

If I had an answer to that I wouldn't have an overflowing craft room! ;)
TSG Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2007, 09:04 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99STAMPS
I very seldom have the desire to stamp, but yet I feel the need
to buy every cute stamp set I want. My darn consultant got me
hooked.
One good thing is that they don't "go bad" like some things. Just think, when you DO really feel like stamping, you'll be all set. I've been stamping since maybe '92. My stamping desire wanes in and out. For awhile I am all gung ho and then something comes up (moving, getting married, moving, etc.) and other things seem to take priority.

What really bites is when I find that I forgot to make a card and then have to go BUY one! (That really bugs me.) I do need to make a card today for my mom for her birthday next weekend.

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2007, 09:07 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

It's an A-D-D-I-C-T-I-O-N!! A sick, vicious addiction that grabs hold of you and won't let go.

I think we all go through periods that we buy stuff and don't use...that was even Friday's challenge. When I get like that I go to Barnes and Noble grab an easy chair and look through every stamp magazine they have and an art book for good measure. All the samples, colors, and gorgeous pictures always gets something going in my brain. Then grab a cup of coffee, a yummy little cookie, and drive back home to your stamps (or in my case drive next door to Michael's).
Stamping with a group of people helps too because some of their creativity may get yours flowing. Plus you don't want to be outdone by them so you'll have to stamp something!
Reply With Quote Likes