Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-21-2008, 07:20 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Default slowing down in buying sets?

I was just talking with my sister on the phone; her demo is having a big garage sale for all her retiring sets. She does this with 3 other demos, so apparently, there are tons and tons of sets to choose from. The women go crazy over this sale! (in St. Albert in July for you Alberta women ... I can get you details if you would like).

I was thinking of the sets that I own (small in comparison to many people on here....I have about 30 sets? but about 100 plus for other non-SU! individual and set stamps); this is so much for me, I could stamp with what I have for years and just keep rotating and I would be fine. With the occasional new one thrown in for something different.

As you stamp, do you find yourself slowing down in collecting? Because you realize you have never inked up a set you bought a year ago? Or maybe inked it up once? What is the point, I am asking myself, of buying more when I don't use what I own? Or only use it once in 2 years?

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-21-2008, 07:32 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Yep, I feel that way right now. I just have so many stamp sets that I think I sometimes get overwhelmed. I see a lot of sets and other things that I'd like to have, but honestly it's all just too much so I'm slowing myself down with the stuff. All I'm buying right now is cardstock as I run out. I have a huge, huge supply of patterned paper and other embellishments so I'm trying to use what I have. It's fun to challenge myself in that way and I've created some really neat things!
Old 06-21-2008, 07:34 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

OH YES!!!!!

I have enought stuff stored up to almost start my on store! Sinfull and I need to start usuing it or let it go!

I am not buying anything from thr SU retirement list unless I get it used!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Old 06-21-2008, 07:36 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I've actually picked up again since I started ordering from Papertrey - just the ability to have the stamps sitting out on my desk where I can see them (since they're in the compact little cases) all the time makes me that much more likely to use them. I love my SU! sets, but lately I'm just much more likely to go to PTI and Fancy Pants because they're right there.

My little gallery
Old 06-21-2008, 07:45 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I have slown down a little from when I first started stamping. In the beginning, I felt like I had to have everything, especially from the SU! catalog. I would send in huge orders just to get the hostess sets! I don't do that anymore. Eventually I realized that I just don't need so many sets, sorta a "the thrill is gone" type feeling and I started being more selective about my purchases. In addition, I started selling off the older sets on ebay.

I think this hobby will always be a bit of a shopping/collecting/stamping one for me because it's so much fun to try new stuff, however I think I've found my comfort spending level and that makes me happy
Old 06-21-2008, 07:53 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

My aunt says she has "velveteen stamps" b/c she feels so guilty about not using them!

I have really slowed down recently. Just like most of you said, I can't even count the number of my sets that have never been used or only used "rarely". It's quite annoying to my DH. I even have several sets now that I haven't even cut. I am trying to weed through and pick out sets that I am willing to part with and sell. Of course then I just turn around and use the money to buy new sets! *sigh* I haven't been too thrilled with SU's new sets so that has helped. There are only about three that I might get from the retiring list, so that helps!

I need a stamp-a-holics support group!!

Scrappractical - The Blog
Old 06-21-2008, 07:58 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I feel that way too, although sometimes I still don't have the "right stamp" to make or complete a certain card. I've started trying to focus my stamp dollars on sentiments or images that go with sets that I already own, to try to stretch their use, rather than spring for whole new sets. I find myself ordering more paper and inks in colors I didn't have before to try with some of my older sets....makes them look totally different and feel new again.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:14 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Nope, I just can't relate to this feeling, lol! I had 13 sets hit my mailbox last Saturday and today I'm expecting 2 more! Then I have a bunch more coming from a new DT gig.........

and

and

nope, no slowing down on stamps, just on SU. I can store so many more unmounted and clear sets that even when I get a ton you can't tell!
Old 06-21-2008, 08:46 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I agree with nyoprinces. I use my Papertrey stamps most of the time now because they're right on my desk where it's easy to see what I have. I love that they take up so little room, and that I can see exactly where I'm stamping with them. I finally sold most of my SU! stamps because I never use them. I used to be a demo, so I had a lot of them at one time. I don't buy as much as I used to (from any company).

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyoprincesView Post
I've actually picked up again since I started ordering from Papertrey - just the ability to have the stamps sitting out on my desk where I can see them (since they're in the compact little cases) all the time makes me that much more likely to use them. I love my SU! sets, but lately I'm just much more likely to go to PTI and Fancy Pants because they're right there.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:25 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

I definitely have my favorites that get used more than others, and if a set sits too long, then I pass it along to a friend that wants to (SU) I haven't caught on the UM craze yet and only have a few, clear UM stamps - like a particular image I wanted that SU didn't sell. Have I slowed down? I wish! The mailman has been brining a few packages a week for the past few weeks - so many he can't even leave them in the mailbox! He rings the bell and there they are ~ It's like the holidays around here, lol. I tried to take advantage of specials and certain deals (thus, more spending lately) and it's summer - when I have a little more time to stamp.
DT:  The Project Bin
Old 06-21-2008, 09:33 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

The only stamp purchases I've slowed down with is SU. So many of what has come out in the last two catalogs either is similar to older sets I already have and don't feel the need to replace them. Many of the other sets all tend to look alike and it's a style I don't particularly care for (how many circles and squiggles or flowers does one need?). My purchases or other companies has easily taken over what used to be SU purchases, and my wishlists for other companies' stamps is huge. So, the fact that I have TONS of stamps has nothing to do with it.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:14 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

I should slow down. I have a ton of stamps that I haven't used but they are too cute to not get them. I just figure one of these days I'll have time to play with them. Also, I like having stuff around so that if I need them, I'm not waiting around to received them in the mail. Now, I need to figure out how to store everything.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:40 PM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

I, like others, have slowed down with buying SU sets. I think it is because I have so many and it seems to me the new additions to the catty have been remakes of similar older sets I already have. I have not slowed down with purchases of other stamps...I am currently on an A muse kick! I love my PTI, but the significant shipping costs are limiting my purchases. I am always on the lookout for unique sentiments, and will never stop buying SU cardstock.

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eyelet..."
Gallery & Blog
Old 06-21-2008, 12:55 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

I've definitely slowed down. I own about 200 sets between TAC & SU, and have many individual stamps. The only sets I'll buy now are ones that knock my socks off, or are something totally different from what I already have. I find I've been reaching for my golden oldies lately, which is kinda fun. The funny thing is, as I slow down with buying stamps I find my mind wandering to other hobbies. No! Make it stop!
"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Mt. 6:21

Old 06-21-2008, 01:34 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have slowed down too. Today I went to Hobby Lobby and came out with 2 rolls of Christmas ribbon only because it was on sale 50% off. 30ft.for $1.99
Old 06-21-2008, 01:58 PM   #16  
Glitter Guru

Noooo, I try to slow down... but um, I eventually pick up speed again. My wish list (mostly non-SU!) is HUGE because I have not even bought a fraction of everything I want. I am buying sets slowly here and there, at a pretty consistent pace I think. The only times I impulse buy are when a business is going out of business, or the sales go below 60%.

It helps that mostly the only SU! sets I want are the French language Canadian ones but I can't get them without a huge hassle, or the ones I missed out on (like Fairyland) from 1998 to 2005. I stalk ebay for those.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:02 PM   #17  
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

Unfortunately, I am a "collector." I have all the stamp sets sold by Flourishes, Gina K. Designs, and all the sets in the current and past SU! catalogs for the past 5 years.... So, nope, I don't slow down...
Old 06-21-2008, 03:33 PM   #18  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by markie's momView Post
Unfortunately, I am a "collector." I have all the stamp sets sold by Flourishes, Gina K. Designs, and all the sets in the current and past SU! catalogs for the past 5 years.... So, nope, I don't slow down...

*speechless*
*brain shut down while trying to compute what all that must've cost*

I knew you had a lot of them; I didn't realize you had ALL of them!!! WOW!!!

Edited to add: That is not unfortunate at all! I would be ecstatic if I had all those stamps!!
Old 06-21-2008, 03:37 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

ALL???? Holy Moley!
"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Mt. 6:21

Old 06-21-2008, 03:40 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Yes.....I am definitely slowing down.
I'm trying to be more selective. I have sets not inked and I feel bad.
Having that much slows down my arrangements and choosing paper etc.
'going to try to use 'stuff'
'going to try to use 'stuff'
'going to try to use stuff'
Old 06-21-2008, 03:43 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Wow, Faith. You must have one monster craft room to store all of that. Now I have to ask - have you inked them all?
Old 06-21-2008, 03:54 PM   #22  
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryAnnKView Post
Wow, Faith. You must have one monster craft room to store all of that. Now I have to ask - have you inked them all?
Yes...except 5 sets from the LAST SU! catalog...I didn't have enough time! LOL!

I can't wait for new stamps to come out...I don't purchase but a few from PTI...I do own all the papers/ribbons and inks from PTI, though! LOL!
Old 06-21-2008, 03:56 PM   #23  
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryAnnKView Post

Nope...All discontinueds end up under my bed in boxes, under Markie's bed, Markie's closet and my craft room closet...LOL!

My office is full of other stuff like CURRENT sets! LOL!
Old 06-21-2008, 03:57 PM   #24  
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post

*speechless*
*brain shut down while trying to compute what all that must've cost*

I knew you had a lot of them; I didn't realize you had ALL of them!!! WOW!!!

Edited to add: That is not unfortunate at all! I would be ecstatic if I had all those stamps!!

Are you JOKING???? You can and HAVE drawn stamp sets! LOL! You don't need to purchase stamps, you can and DO draw your own images on your cards!
Old 06-21-2008, 04:02 PM   #25  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

[/color]

Are you JOKING???? You can and HAVE drawn stamp sets! LOL! You don't need to purchase stamps, you can and DO draw your own images on your cards!
*laughing* Ummmmm... I draw because I don't have the sets I want!!!
Old 06-21-2008, 04:41 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Funny you should ask. Just yesterday I decided to cut down drastically on my purchasing. In order to force myself to do so, I am going to post everything I buy on my blog and how much I spent. Kind of like confession!

So far, since yesterday -- $0!!
Old 06-21-2008, 04:54 PM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

I've been kind of slowing down too ... every week I promise myself no more buying ... but I can't resist it ... just now I found out that CHF has 10% off all items !!

Glorie
Old 06-21-2008, 05:24 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm much more selective in my stamp purchases now that I have soooo many stamps, so yes, I've slowed down. It's got to be something special, something that fills a "gap" I perceive in my collection that would be useful to fill. Most of my stamps have seen ink, too, though I admit some haven't been used "enough" to justify the cost in my mind. I make lots of cards, but don't do mass production ever, which makes it easier to use all the stamps I have!
Old 06-21-2008, 05:29 PM   #29  
Forum Fanatic

Yes, I have cut down. I still enjoy filling my "basket" at the online stores I love, but more often than not I keep myself from pressing the "submit" button. I had a weak moment last night and almost placed a large order, but a friend talked me down just in time. Whew.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:34 PM   #30  
Mad Swapper

I've cut down a lot. Last year was my first year of being a demo and I bought so much that I earned so many hostess sets (duplicates). This year, I think there are 4 from the hostess sets that I won't be able to get. That is a sign that I'm buying less now...heehee.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:51 PM   #31  
Forum Fanatic

I am slowing down and last month I went on a "Stop buy". I didn't buy any craft or stamping products. Like others, I only bought a few sets from the last 2 SU! cattys because the stamps seemed to be a bit dated or like something I already have. I love SU! stamps but I have too many repeats, I don't need another little heart or circle. Often I buy a set just for one of the stamps and in my stamp group it seems we all want the same stamp so we can't split up the set and share in the cost.

I went to 2 LSS today and I only spent $40 total where I used to spend close to $200. I have enough stamp pads, DP, embellishments and other goodies to where I could stamp for a year and the only thing I'd need to buy is white CS and adhesive. I'm very selective about what I buy now days. I have to make sure I'm really going to use the product or make the card several times. Also, I'm not letting my self get caught up in the SCS enabler frenzy. Funny thing is that at first I missed buying, now it feels really good not to buy.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:14 PM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

I've slowed down considerably with SU. I just wasn't impressed with the catty selections this spring.

I bought lots of supplies, but only 4 stamp sets since January from SU.

I recently unmounted all my SU, and really like the acrylic I've purchased lately, so now, a set from SU will have to thrill me big time to purchase it.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:22 PM   #33  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I've slown down some but not really because of my choice. I'm having a hard time finding stamps that I really like, so I don't buy as much as when I first started stamping in October. I think I need new stores to shop at!
Old 06-22-2008, 01:30 AM   #34  
Embossing Fanatic

I have had to slow down a lot (waaaay to much money spent)! lucky for me there weren't any sets on the SU retired list i wanted. i am trying to buy just paper and accessories..i am glad i live close to my mom...she buys all the stamp sets that i dont!
Old 06-22-2008, 06:16 AM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

I have to agree with everyone that said this catalog was a disappointment to them. In the last 6 months I think I've bought 3 sets and a wheel. That's almost a record for me!!

When the retirement list came out I was almost relieved. There wasn't a darn thing on there that I couldn't live without. For the past four or so years I've put in orders consisting of retiring stamps that earned enough for hostess credit just by my self.

So have to say yes I've been slowing down on buying SU stamp sets but not all stamps since I seem to have this thing for acrylic now.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:29 AM   #36  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I SHOULD cut down...no I HAVE to, but I did just order three new Rileys...so I guess maybe I need a support group and some OCD meds (obsessive/ compulsive disorder)...oh well, what the heck... Anyone know of any good sales? LOL

(BTW~ I have over 280 SU sets, and drawers and drawers full of single and other stamp compnies sets :O )
Old 06-22-2008, 08:40 AM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm a "new" stamper...only getting into stamping in January (I think?) So I'm buying stamps that I absolutely love! And boy do I love a lot...hehe! I don't have that many stamps/sets...and only 3 SU! sets that I've bought and one was a retired set I bought from ebay.

I like stamps to color...like Gina K., Rileys and Hannas from Hanna Stamps, Pink Cat Studio, C.C. Designs, Rachelle Anne Miller and Sarah Kay. I also have 2 Verve Visual sets and a couple of Cornish Heritage Farms and Punny Farm from MFT (which I haven't used.)

I don't spend a lot each month...usually less than $100 and that isn't even on all stamps, that is supplies and tools as well. Once I get what I want as far as tools (Nestabilities! and more Copic markers) then my stamp purchases every month will probably only total around $50.

I'm having fun with it so I figure as long as I'm still enjoying it, I'm still gonna be buying!
Old 06-23-2008, 02:52 PM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Ugh I spend way too much money and I can't seem to stop myself. Currently very close to dropping my demoship of SU simply because I need to cut the spending and don't want to give up buying from other companies. Altho I am totally addicted to SU CS and I don't want to have to spend so much $$ just to get paper to my house. SIGH!!!! I wanted to hang on until the next catty comes out but it isn't coming out until August - too late to get myself out of pending with a fun order of NEW stuff. BUMMER! I will most likely place one last order mostly for the paper I'm low on and drop. I am almost 100% sure I won't be able to afford the whole $300 to keep me going. (hobby demo here)

I do definitely find myself cutting down on the number of sets I buy, mostly from SU though. I used to buy anything at a drop of a hat and now I'm more realistic about what I'm going to buy and what I'm not. I have way too many cutesy stamps that I just don't use that I thought were so cute but don't really gel well with my style as it has evolved over the years.

BTW I am in SHOCK that Markie's Mom owns all those stamps. Dang girl! What are you planning to do with all the stuff in storage?
Old 06-23-2008, 02:59 PM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

Actually, I buy more stamps than I used to and have cut back on paper and accessories. I have lots more room since I unmounted so, until the shelves fill up with CD cases, I'll probably keep collecting.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:25 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm slowing down but it's mainly because I have the basics and buy now only what really looks different or fills in the spaces of stamp-types I don't have. It's like I am with Christmas ornaments -- I have soooo many that it really has to be special for me to buy it now.

Wanda