Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-11-2008, 07:05 AM   #1
Pearl-ExPert

Default slow shipping? try living outside the US

I was watching with interest as the thread on EP grows ever larger. I read how many people were upset with shipping that goes over 3 weeks and consider it unacceptable.

Do you know if you live in Canada, that a wait is often 4 weeks or longer? Not all the time, but quite a bit. I have never gotten anything within 2 weeks of ordering if the company is based in the US. On average, I have to wait at least a month. I have waited 2 months for an order on two separate occasions.

I realize it is often not the companies fault...they ship, but once it hits the border, who knows what will happen. It's a crap shoot!

I have learned to be very patient. I am often quite envious of American shoppers. You have such a large selection of things that we do not have in Canada. You get free shipping over 35-40$. You don't have to pay customs. Your stamps from SU! are way below what Canadians have to pay. And you usually get your order within a couple of weeks. Often in days! I'd fall over in a dead faint if I received an order that fast.

I certainly understand frustrations when shipping takes so long for US shoppers. You are use to a certain level of service time. I have to grit my teeth and try to relax about orders in the Great White North. I think fellow UK stampers can probably relate to all this (and other overseas countries too).

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"

Last edited by denidill; 02-11-2008 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: spelling
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-11-2008, 07:23 AM   #2
Polyshrink Goddess

Being on a board of Canadian stampers and a few from UK and Australia, the mail time is unpredictable. Our lady from Scotland stuff arrives within days, very similar to US post, Australia too is much better. But for some reason from the US to Canada and visa versa it is horrible.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:36 AM   #3
Pearl-ExPert

I lived for 20 years in Canada and the service was always slow even for mail within Canada. Heck I would mail a letter across the city (Toronto) and it would often take a week to get there. I swear they steam the letters open and read them. Why else would it take so long. I live in the States now and I truly appreciate our postal system and our UPS and FEDEX. I don't think it's the US that is the problems with stuff to and from Canada. I think it is the Canadian postal system! They are slooooow.

Sibylle
Old 02-11-2008, 08:05 AM   #4
Crimping Master

I understand the US postal service works 6 days/week and if its business related and ergent they work 7 days/week. We in Canada are lucky they work 5 days???? Do US postal workers belong to UNION???? I have had many shipments go literally past the point of desination and back again, only to sit in a warehouse. When you track them they have gone from Vancouver to Calgary to Regina,and then to Winnipeg or further and then back to Calgary. This particular box was suppose to go to Regina!!!! What are you guys doing??? Crazy. And you wonder why we don't get our packages in a decent time frame. US gals, you don't know how lucky you are..
Kathy
Old 02-11-2008, 08:28 AM   #5
Pearl-ExPert

I feel sorry for my non-US stamping sisters (and brothers). Perhaps we are spoiled. When I order online, I expect my goods to ship with 48 hours and receive my package within 5 business days. If it takes longer than that, I tend not to reorder from those companies. For (non-stamping) example: last week I ordered a photography book from Amazon. I have Prime shipping, but I wanted the book overnight, so I paid $3.99 for it. Placed my order at 3:30 PM and it was delivered the following day by 10:00 AM. I'd say 90% of the places I've ordered from online can get the goods to me in my desired time line, thankfully! I think if I had to wait weeks I would just...cry.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:35 AM   #6
Gallery Gazer

I really feel for all of you Canadians! I recently shipped a small SU wheel to a SCS member in Canada and it took 5 weeks to get there! I was about to refund her money because she was so upset that she hadn't gotten it yet! (I had no experience with shipping to Canada and didn't know that this wasn't an unusual shipping time.) You all have to learn to be very patient!

On the unusual side, it only cost me $1 to ship this wheel to her (I live 100 km from the Canadan border, south of Osoyoos, she lives in Alberta somewhere!) If I had shipped the same wheel anywhere in the US, even within my same state, it would have cost a minimun of $1.30. The postman couldn't believe the price of shipping it to Canada, he thought it must have been some kind of mistake and weighed it twice to make sure! This might explain why the US takes so long to deliver to Canada, though!
Old 02-11-2008, 09:39 AM   #7
Die Cut Diva

I would expect slow shipping between different countries even if it is the US and Canada. Different countries have different systems for their mail and what they consider to be fast and efficient.

I have bought candy from the UK before on ebay and I had it within a week. That was fantastic service!

And I LOVE the option from amazon to get it the next day, but even their average shipping is still quick. So yeah, I expect quick shipping within the US.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:41 AM   #8
Pearl-ExPert

Yes Denise, I'm in the UK and I can totally relate! I have been waiting for 2 items from the US, an eBay purchase and my PaperTrey order (both placed on 17th Jan). They arrived today - it was a LOOOOOOONG wait for me LOL! I think 4 weeks is the longest a US parcel has taken to get to me.

But at least I know my parcels are coming halfway across the globe, I'm at a loss to understand why you wait so long in Canada for your US goodies

My friend in the US sent me a big box of goodies from the US a couple of months ago - it got here in 4 days!

So I never know how long it will take to arrive, days or weeks - it varies a lot. I'm currently waiting for a retired SU! set I purchased from the Webstore US site. That was shipped on Feb 1st. I'm stalking the postie every day LOL!
Old 02-11-2008, 09:52 AM   #9
Matboard Maniac

What is even worse, is that some companies charge outrageous rates! I am looking at one website and my basket shows before s/h my total is $97.08. How much for shipping on TOP of that???? Try $32.35. The site states they are shipping USPS. It'll take WEEKS before I see it.

To top it all off, I am only 25 minutes OUTSIDE Detroit!!!
Old 02-11-2008, 10:20 AM   #10
Die Cut Diva

I hate our postal system...it's truely not the US's postal systems fault. I have sold my scrapbook pages on ebay and I'll tell ya that some US buyers get it quicker and some don't and it isn't because of their side of the border it's ours. Even when I order stuff from a Canadian site it still takes at least a week before it reaches me. And most places are within Ontario so figure that one out. Our system is slow...we should have delivery on Saturday's like the US...I mean if we can open liqour stores and malls on Sunday's we should get mail an Saturday's. But that just MHO.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:31 AM   #11
Crimping Master

Talking

I have nothing to complain about everything I have ordered from the US whether it be from a company or an individual I get in under 2 weeks most times 8 - 10 days. This is going through post and customs. I am one happy camper , except for my bank balance
Old 02-11-2008, 11:56 AM   #12
Matboard Maniac

I have found US to Australia can be very slow, but at other times it's quite quick. My [email protected] order was very quick, 10 days but I'm still waiting for an ebay order from the 29th Dec. You can't pick it. Just have to be patient.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:04 PM   #13
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by larleigh1964View Post
I have found US to Australia can be very slow, but at other times it's quite quick. My [email protected] order was very quick, 10 days but I'm still waiting for an ebay order from the 29th Dec. You can't pick it. Just have to be patient.
I would doubt that it was posted on the 29th Dec if it hasn't arrived by now.
My friend has a LSS and alot of her stock she buys direct from the US not through Aussie distributors and it is under 2 weeks.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:10 PM   #14
Polyshrink Goddess

Most of our problem is the border (customs) not so much our postal system. I have had things sit there for 2 weeks before being shipped on, It is also the luck of the draw whether they charge you too...sometimes I get charged $5.00, sometimes not. LOL I stopped being involved in a secret sister swap on another board because it was costing me $20-25 each time to ship paper crafted items to US, but hers to me was 1/2 that price.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:28 PM   #15
Pearl-ExPert

The reason why shipping is SO slow to Canada......
We are all freezing!!!!!
Old 02-11-2008, 12:38 PM   #16
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by mishaView Post
I would doubt that it was posted on the 29th Dec if it hasn't arrived by now.
My friend has a LSS and alot of her stock she buys direct from the US not through Aussie distributors and it is under 2 weeks.
As the package isn't here, neither of us can actually say when it was posted. I can only say that was what I was told.

I'm patient because I am in country Queensland and packages can take longer to get here.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:39 PM   #17
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinky66View Post
The reason why shipping is SO slow to Canada......
We are all freezing!!!!!
lol

The only excuse we would have where I am, would be that everyone's melted away to a puddle from the humidity.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:44 PM   #18
Gabfest Goddess

Oh - I feel so sorry for our customers outside of the US. We try to package and ship quickly. Our postal service has told me "oh, it will get to Canada within 5 days" only to find out it sits somewhere waiting!

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Old 02-11-2008, 01:00 PM   #19
Crimping Master

Yes Leigh I hadn't thought outback might take longer. I can't understand how I can get a parcel from the US in 8 days yet I can post a letter to someone a few suburbs away and it can take 2 days.
Don't thay say patience is a virtue, well you must be very virtuous !
Old 02-11-2008, 01:08 PM   #20
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Location: Yup, that's me and WILLIE NELSON!!! (insert heart here!) :)

It's really too bad it has to be that way. We joke that it's shipped by donkey's, not airplanes lol. When the our PO says 6-10 days, that ONLY means to the border. I always ship next day, 2 days MAX, but have had people get them as short as a week...I HAVE had it talke almost 2 months druing the Christmas rush...it's really a bummer. Also unless we ship priority (which we all know is a ton more) there is no way to track the packages.

I must add though, that we went to Canada on our honeymoon, and what we saw of it was stunning...we'd go back in a heartbeat!
Old 02-11-2008, 01:24 PM   #21
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Thanks Denise for putting this in perspective. Clearly we have become too spoiled by instant gratification. Maybe we need to set back and enjoy that which we already have while we wait.
My Facebook Page
Old 02-11-2008, 02:05 PM   #22
Pearl-ExPert

There is a positive side to all of this. It makes you re-think an order. For example, when I order from PaperTrey, I wait and wait until she has several months of stuff on her site. THEN I order. It saves me shipping to do one big order rather than an order each month from her. Once you wait this long, you sometimes end up realizing you do not need the order and you either cancel it or chop it in half. Saves some money for a spontaneous buyer like myself!

Customs charges are totally confusing to me. One time I ordered 5 packages of Papertrey White cardstock. HEAVY. I was freaking out after I did this, because I thought I would get a whopping customs charge because of the weight. They did not charge me at all. ????

I am actually trying an experiment with a friend who lives in Washington. I am placing a Papertrey order with a certain amount of new colored cardstock and ribbon and getting it shipped to me.

Then, in another 3-4 months time, I will place another duplicate order (just different colors) and I am going to have it sent to my girlfriend. She is re-adressing it in her handwriting and shipping it to me, marking it as "gift".

I am curious to see if a company's shipping and customs charge will outweigh my friend's shipping to Canada. I really don't know. I am assuming, if she marks it as a gift, customs should not charge me. I feel sneaky about doing this, but I am so curious, I have to try it. I'm paying her back with cash for the shipping of course, plus pack of homemade cards for her trouble!

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"

Last edited by denidill; 02-11-2008 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: sentence structure
Old 02-11-2008, 02:16 PM   #23
Stamping is a Hoot!

I think we Aussies seem to have it a little easier than those of you from Canada ... I understand why items can take 3 weeks at times (3 months if someone forgets to send it airmail) .... but on the average I would say I get most of what I order 1 week after it is posted ... this does of course vary and I do not start panicing until 3 weeks are up (well ok maybe I panic a little after all I want those suckers whatever it is ) ... as I said I understand when it takes a while cause to get to us there is a great big ocean to cross ... but Canada is just next door.
Customs can hold ours up ... as these days everything is xrayed and sometimes opened to check what is coming into the country is ok, and I don't mind that either ... they are keeping us safe! we do not have to pay additional charges on what we bring in like our poor Canadian friends do. I am on a couple of dt's where our stamps are sent at the same time ... and it surprises me when if I receive mine before my Canadian dt member!

I Design for Elizabeth Craft Designs and Karen Burniston
Old 02-11-2008, 02:31 PM   #24
Glitter Queen

It is slow here in canada. Even with in canada it is slow. to make even slower for some canda won't bring you mail of the sidewalks are not cleaned.

Mined you what happend with UPS last time delayed me getting my stamps by 4-5 days.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:47 PM   #25
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by denidillView Post
Customs charges are totally confusing to me. One time I ordered 5 packages of Papertrey White cardstock. HEAVY. I was freaking out after I did this, because I thought I would get a whopping customs charge because of the weight. They did not charge me at all. ????
\

Customs charges: Duty & gst/pst/hst (whatever applicable to you) is not based on weight. its based on value and whether or not its made in NA. if its NA then nafta applies and you should only be charged sales taxes on the total value over $20. items not made in NA can possibly have duty charged on it.
you really need to check your canada revenue agency invoice to see what you are being charged for. if its incorrect you can claim it back. except the sales taxes and handling fee they charge.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:07 PM   #26
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaenasmommyView Post
\

Customs charges: Duty & gst/pst/hst (whatever applicable to you) is not based on weight. its based on value and whether or not its made in NA. if its NA then nafta applies and you should only be charged sales taxes on the total value over $20. items not made in NA can possibly have duty charged on it.
you really need to check your canada revenue agency invoice to see what you are being charged for. if its incorrect you can claim it back. except the sales taxes and handling fee they charge.
You are correct Sharlene its charged on value not weight. Also Denise if you friend only puts a value of less than $20 Cdn and a gift on the declaration then you shouldn't be charged duty. If you are charged - cut the slip off your package and on the back side is an address you send it to and you will get a refund. I sent mine to Winnipeg from Sask. Alberta may have their own address, just check on the back of that slip.
Kathy
Old 02-12-2008, 04:50 AM   #27
Die Cut Diva

Isn't the max value before they charge you duty 100.00...cuz if I remember correctly no duty is charged on packages that value less than 100 bucks...or am I wrong...?
Old 02-12-2008, 06:43 AM   #28
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2busyscrappinView Post
Isn't the max value before they charge you duty 100.00...cuz if I remember correctly no duty is charged on packages that value less than 100 bucks...or am I wrong...?
You know Michelle you may be right, the reason I say $20. is because it is way below the actual then they don't consider the package at all. I have been charged even at $60.00 value. I really don't know what the value is? And always put gift on. If anyone really knows the value, that would be great to hear.
Kathy
Old 02-12-2008, 07:08 AM   #29
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by K. BenkoView Post
I understand the US postal service works 6 days/week and if its business related and ergent they work 7 days/week. We in Canada are lucky they work 5 days????
The postal service has employees working 24 hours a day in most places. There are three shifts of 8 hours each, with overlapping overtime. Though there is no mail delivery (except for Express mail I think) on Sundays, there are employees still working in the plants.

Quote:

Do US postal workers belong to UNION????
Postal workers have two major unions that I know of (and maybe several that I don't know that much about) - one for clerks, and one for mailhandlers. I'm sure there's also one for carriers, technicians, janitors, supervisors, etc. But in right-to-work states, union membership is voluntary.

Quote:

US gals, you don't know how lucky you are..
Now, all that being said, I feel NO SYMPATHY for you Canadians!!! I am extremely jealous of all of you. You get hassle-free access to the French versions of Stampin' Up! stamps that I want and cannot directly buy!!!!!
Old 02-12-2008, 07:15 AM   #30
Polyshrink Goddess

I was charged a $15.00 handling fee for them to open my package I got from my secret sis...papercrafted items she made. When I contacted them they told me it was Canada Post that applied the fee, Canada Post told me it was customs...I got dizzy from the circles they sent me in LOL. There seems to be no max value, not in our case anyways. Hubby orders ALOT from the net, from around the world, at different price values and gets charged lots sometimes, little sometimes and sometimes, nothing. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason, maybe it depends on their mood that day LOL
Old 02-12-2008, 10:10 AM   #31
Crimping Master

[Now, all that being said, I feel NO SYMPATHY for you Canadians!!! I am extremely jealous of all of you. You get hassle-free access to the French versions of Stampin' Up! stamps that I want and cannot directly buy!!!!! [/QUOTE]

Really you can't buy the French stamps?? I don't understand why that should be a problem - its all SU isn't it, whether its Cdn or US?
Kathy
Old 02-12-2008, 10:36 AM   #32
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi Kathy!
No, I can't buy the French stamps directly, because I'm an American. I can only buy what's offered through the American catalogue. My demo can only sell me stuff in the American catalogue. Canadian and French demos aren't allowed to sell the French sets to me. To get my hot little hands on the French sets, I had to find a Canadian customer who was willing to buy the stuff I want through her demo. In return, I buy stuff she wants from my demo (at cheaper American prices). Then we ship the stuff to each other. We try to buy about the same dollar amount so that it comes out even. I aim to spend a little less than what she would spend, 'cause she would pay more for shipping it to me (Canada Post) than I would spend for shipping on my end.

Either that or I keep an eye on Ebay for sets coming from Canada.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:48 AM   #33
Polyshrink Goddess

Well, if that isn't silly....if they make em, they should be available to all. There are French people in America, and other countries too!