Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-04-2010, 10:34 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From Singapore to NYC

Hi all,

I will be heading to NYC in two weeks time from Singapore and is expecting to spend time in NYC, New Jersey and Washington DC.

As it is my first trip to USA, any advice on great craft stores or craft fairs or just nice places to check out will be much appreciated! I do stamping, beading and x-stitch so just about anything goes. More importantly, how can I lay my hands on those coupons that all of you keep raving about?

Thank you so much!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 10:53 AM   #2  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Others will contribute more ideas but NYC has a great store (so I've heard ... I still haven't been there) called The Ink Pad. It is small in size but packed full of goodies. I think there is a notions store too but cannot recall specific information.

I'm not sure if your travel will take you near enough to a Hobby Lobby (there is one in Poughkeepsie, NY - near me but a day trip from NYC; almost 90-minute drive from The Bronx). They have weekly coupons on their website (www.hobbylobby.com). Most weeks it is 40% off one regular-priced item but sometimes it is more specific such as 25% off all Crayola products.

A.C. Moore also has weekly coupons on their website (www.acmoore.com). Michael's does NOT have them on their website but you can get them via email if you register for The Knack.

There is almost always a thread with the link for the current Michael's coupon but the number of clicks is restricted and so not everyone can use the posted links (it's a matter of timing and usage ... so if you click and get a coupon, print as many as you think you'll need.)

Have a safe and fun trip!

Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2010, 01:56 PM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

Thank you so much!!! I am so excited about heading to New York (actually heading to America for that matter) for the first time but we havent had much time to plan or do our research. I so wish we have more time to read up especially since we are flying close to 24 hours just to get there. Colleagues and friends who have travelled there have been really helpful, except that none of them is a crafter!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2010, 02:37 PM   #4  
Linking Queen

YW ... here's some more information (kinda random):

Home Page for The Ink Pad: http://theinkpadnyc.com/
(it likes they have a coupon but it still says February coupon)

A.C. Moore let's you use their coupons on magazines. WalMart discounts magazines 10% (not as much savings but it let's you use the 40 or 40% ACM coupun for something pricier). This could be fun reading material on the plane (or waiting for the plane).

Kate's Paperie has wonderful apaers and ribbons. They have several stores in NYC and one in Greenwich, CT. They are all listed at this link:
http://www.katespaperie.com/about_ka...cle/our_stores

When is your trip?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2010, 03:46 PM   #5  
Cardstock Collector

I will be reaching NYC on 19Mar and will be staying in US for 2 weeks, of which I will be heading up to Washingto DC for 5 days. Are there good craft stores in Washington DC?

Thank you so much for your tips so far. I am all ready to check out the Ink Pad and is trying to figure out how to get to Hobby Lobby that TeeGeeDee has suggested.

Am particularly interested in checking out the larger chain stores like Michael's, which I understand is not available in NYC. We survive mainly on the smaller speciality craft stores over here in Singapore, plus there's a Spotlight, which is an Australian chain. I think I may very well feel faint if i walk into a huge chain like AC Moore!

Thank you so much, ladies!!! You have been really kind to me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2010, 05:56 PM   #6  
Linking Queen

The Poughkeepsie Hobby Lobby is the only one remotely close to any of the areas you are visiting. MetroNorth (a commuter railroad) serves Poughkeepsie on its Hudson Line. This link will get you to a page where you can make selections to bring up schedules for the Hudson line. I am not familiar with that (and most) areas of Poughkeepsie. I can tell you that Hobby Lobby closes at 8pm Mon-Sat and is closed all day on Sundays and holidays.

Here's the MetroNorth link:
http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/plannin.../schedules.htm

Hobby Lobby is on Route 9 and if you drive a little bit in one direction you will get to a strip mall that has many stores including a Michael's and a small Jo-Ann's.

If you drive in the other direction from HL (towards Fishkill/Wappingers Falls) you will get to an A.C. Moore. You cannot see the store from the road but it is where the BJ's Wholesale Club is located (on Route 9 between the intersections of Route 93 and Route 28 if coming from Hobby Lobby). These are all in Dutchess County.

If it is too far/inconvenient to travel to these stores, A.C. Moore has a location in Yorktown Heights (Westchester County) which is very very nice (my favorite of the 2 I mentioned). That is much closer to Manhattan but I'm not sure which MetroNorth line to use.

Hope you get replies from others as I'm not familar with NJ or D.C.

Safe travels and ...

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2010, 05:59 PM   #7  
Linking Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeGeeDeeView Post
YW ... here's some more information (kinda random):

Home Page for The Ink Pad: http://theinkpadnyc.com/
(it likes they have a coupon but it still says February coupon)

A.C. Moore let's you use their coupons on magazines. WalMart discounts magazines 10% (not as much savings but it let's you use the 40 or 40% ACM coupun for something pricier). This could be fun reading material on the plane (or waiting for the plane). ETA: I re-read this and wanted to be clearer ... WalMart won't accept the ACM coupon but if you get the magazine at there then you still have a coupon to use at A.C. Moore.

Kate's Paperie has wonderful apaers and ribbons. They have several stores in NYC and one in Greenwich, CT. They are all listed at this link:
http://www.katespaperie.com/about_ka...cle/our_stores

When is your trip?
I clarified something (in case it gave a wrong impression originally).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2010, 05:34 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What an exciting trip you have planned! I live in the suburbs of Washington DC, and there are lots of Michael's and AC Moore stores nearby (although I'm not sure how many are in DC proper). Unfortunately, there are no local Hobby Lobby stores in the area.

If you have access to a car and enough time, I can highly recommend a visit to Angela's Happy Stamper in Reston, Virginia. It's probably about half an hour or so from downtown DC (as long as it's not rush hour). Have a wonderful visit! You may even be here in time to see our beautiful cherry blossoms . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2010, 07:11 AM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

There's also a Paper Source in Georgetown (part of D.C.). It's also a neat area to walk around in (during the day) and has plenty of night life. http://www.paper-source.com/cgi-bin/...eorgetown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2010, 10:53 AM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

Yongenie,
I lived in Singapore for 18 months! The craft stores there have nothing compared to what you are going to see in the US. I had a really hard time finding things that I wanted there. I hope that you have a lot of money to spend!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2010, 12:00 PM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by YongenieView Post
I will be reaching NYC on 19Mar and will be staying in US for 2 weeks, of which I will be heading up to Washingto DC for 5 days. Are there good craft stores in Washington DC?

Thank you so much for your tips so far. I am all ready to check out the Ink Pad and is trying to figure out how to get to Hobby Lobby that TeeGeeDee has suggested.

Am particularly interested in checking out the larger chain stores like Michael's, which I understand is not available in NYC. We survive mainly on the smaller speciality craft stores over here in Singapore, plus there's a Spotlight, which is an Australian chain. I think I may very well feel faint if i walk into a huge chain like AC Moore!

Thank you so much, ladies!!! You have been really kind to me!

Actually they just opened a Michael's in NYC a few months ago, I still havent had the chance to check it out (808 Columbus Av between 97th & 100th St) on the Upper West Side, then you don't need to worry about leaving the city, because that can be a pain
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi there:
Just thought I'd let you know since you're into beading theres a boatload of bead stores on 6th Ave between 36th st and 38th st, they are just 2 blocks away from the Big Macys. I really recommend going to the Ink Pad, it's tiny but it is packed with great stuff, Ana the owner is a sweetheart, actually everyone that works there is great. There is a website where you can get the micheals coupons (livecouponcodes.com) you can get coupons for pretty much any store there. Just in case, there is also an A.C.moore and Joanns in Westbury LI which is about 35 to 40 mins from NYC (shh, don't tell anybody ,I go there every other weekend for my crafty fix) I hope this helps..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

If you love ribbon and have a car in the D.C. area and somewhat of a history buff, then you might be able to make case for going to Hagerstown, MD.
For the history buff--Antietam Battlefield
excellant shopping at Prime Outlets which is very close to the
Offray Ribbon Factory outlet. (lots of yards of everything under the sun).

Also in town is Michael's and AC Moore.

A short (30mins or so) north there is also a Hobby Lobby near Chambersburg, PA.

The easiest way to get the coupons will probably be to get the Sunday paper unless
you have access to a printer....then you could have an SCS friend email them to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 09:41 AM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

Thank you so much! I am busy making a list as I read the posts from all of you! A fren just found me a Michael's and AC Moore store in New Jersey near her place. I am going to start printing out enough coupons for them to buy on my behalf so that I can lay my hands on all those discounts! You have no idea how much more craft stuff cost over here compared to US. My heart always beat a little faster when i compare the prices of your online shops against what we actually pay in Singapore. Just imagine, a bottle of dewdrops cost about USD10.70 (about SGD14.90) over here. Yes, I think I can hear all of you gasp too.

Hi Meloleary, I can't wait to see the cherry blossoms in DC, I heard that they are really lovely. I am due to be in DC from 24-28Mar so please wish me luck that I will be in time to catch them in full bloom.

Hi Bjaayoung, I think you can understad why I was so desperate that I had to start a post asking for advice (after being a quiet member for a while). Anyway, i showed my husband your post and I think he is a bit tempted to cut up my credit card. I am changing its hiding place!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2010, 03:57 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

I don't know where in NJ you'll be but there is an AC MOORE and Michaels in the Clifton area and Paramus (which is not too far from NYC). I don't know if you'll have access to a car or will be using mass transit (bus).

If you go to the Michaels site and AC Moore sites they can tell you exactly where the stores in Northern NJ are in relation to NYC.

I looked up Michaels locations:
http://hosted.where2getit.com/michaels/
if the link doesn't work, type in Newark, NJ in the search box

Here is for AC Moore:
http://www.acmoore.com/e-acm.StoreLo...StoreLocator=1

if the link doesn't work, type in 07470 for the zip code and run the search again.

I hope you get a lot of great stuff during your visit.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2010, 04:36 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

Quote:

Thank you so much!!! I am so excited about heading to New York (actually heading to America for that matter) for the first time but we havent had much time to plan or do our research. I so wish we have more time to read up especially since we are flying close to 24 hours just to get there. Colleagues and friends who have travelled there have been really helpful, except that none of them is a crafter!
Let us hope you have followed the rules...Yongenie.!! I do not want to even know of any issues.....:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2010, 06:13 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by hedgiemamaView Post
Let us hope you have followed the rules...Yongenie.!! I do not want to even know of any issues.....:mrgreen:
I was not thinking and rushing. I am sorry. What I meant was...make sure your paperwork is in order. I don't know what is needed. But I have recently heard of two situations where families had difficulty visiting the US (one was for their daughter's wedding) because they did not have the correct paperwork! Unbelieveable. I am sure you are on top of it and know what you need! Have fun shopping at the craft stores!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2010, 12:50 AM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

Hi LuckyGirl,
Yes, my friend did mention about bringing me to the AC Moore and Michael's in Clifton so I have now printed copies of the coupons to both these companies. Am all armed for the great shopping war. I can hardly wait! Am already finding it hard to concentrate at work!

Hi Hedgiemama,
Thank you for the reminder! It seems that while we do not require a visa to travel to US, we now need a seperate ESTA application. It works like a visa but its not actually a visa. Wow...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2010, 12:53 AM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

Hi LuckyGirl,
Yes, my friend did mention about bringing me to the AC Moore and Michael's in Clifton so I have now printed copies of the coupons to both these companies. Am all armed for the great shopping war. I can hardly wait! Am already finding it hard to concentrate at work!

Hi Hedgiemama,
Thank you for the reminder! It seems that while we do not require a visa to travel to US, we now need a seperate ESTA application. It works like a visa but its not actually a visa. Wow...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2010, 04:01 AM   #20  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

let us know how your trip was when you get home!
Have fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2010, 07:34 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

YW -

I live in the DC suburbs and work in DC. I agree that a trip to the Paper Source store in Georgetown is well worth the trip. I think there is also a Paper Source store in Old Town Alexandria - both Georgetown, DC and Old Town Alexandria, VA are tourist areas. Paper Source is a bit on the expensive side compared to the chain stores but they have some nice product and the stores are a good size.

DC itself does not have any crafting stores (Paper Source is the closest thing you'll find to a craft store)

The VA and MD suburbs have tons of Michaels stores. I'd also like to suggest you visit the Jo-Ann Fabric stores. There is a nice "Super Store" in Woodbridge, VA (25 miles or so from DC). The store is huge and you can also find a Michael's just down the street from the Jo-Ann's. Be careful about choosing which Jo-Anns you visit if you don't go to the one in Woodbridge. There are several stores throughout the DC area but most of them are small stores and not really worth a trip out of your way - but the Super stores are a must!

Someone also mentioned the Angela Happy Stamper store - it's worth a visit but a bit hard to find. It's just not in a shopping mall so you have to be sure to get good directions if you go there.

There is also a great stamping store in Fredricksburg. It's called Scrapdoodles. Pretty big store and has lots of nice stuff. Can't really use coupons there but there is an AC Moore in the same shopping area.

The great thing is that AC Moore, Michael's and Jo-Ann will take each other's coupons. Some Michael's stores will even add an extra 10% ontop of competitor coupons. So a 50% coupon from AC Moore or Jo-Anns is worth 60%. You can't beat that!!! (Not all stores give the additional 10% though. - Just be sure to ask if they do)

So.. to wrap things up for the DC area, you want to hit:

Michaels (in any DC suburb)
Jo-Ann Fabrics Super Store (Woodbridge, VA or Fredricksburg, VA)
AC Moore ( Manassas,VA and Fredricksburg, VA)
Angela's Happy Stamper (Reston, VA)
Scrapdoodle (Fredricksburg, VA)
Papersource (downtown DC - Georgetown or Old Town in Alexandria, VA)

Enjoy your trip to the United States and Happy crafting! (Hope my info is helpful to you)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2010, 12:37 PM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

Hi all,

Sorry for coming back so late on this but THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH for all of your very helpful comments. I have managed to hunt down Michael's, AC Moore, Kate's Paperie and the Ink Pad. Bjaayoung, you are so right. The craft scene in US is so different from Singapore. We also managed to catch the cherry blossoms in Washington. I never expected to see so many cherry blossoms trees and it always made me smile when i spotted one at an unexpected corner.

And I just want all of you to know that your kind words goes a long way for me beyond a 2 week trip. Shortly after our trip, we received news that my husband got accepted into a MBA program at NYU (we made the trip so that he can attend the interview) and are now in the midst of planning a 2 year relocation to NYC.

Yes, I am a little scared (actually make that very very scared) as there is going to be so much changes and sacrifices (i am going to miss having a job / family / frens). But the responses you ladies have offered me just from my posting of one little question makes me feel that it is going to be alright. That people are willing to help. Thank you for making that difference.

And yes, I need to hunt down that elusive Hobby Lobby when I get the chance. =)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2010, 01:03 PM   #23  
Linking Queen

Quote:

Hi all,

Sorry for coming back so late on this but THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH for all of your very helpful comments. I have managed to hunt down Michael's, AC Moore, Kate's Paperie and the Ink Pad. Bjaayoung, you are so right. The craft scene in US is so different from Singapore. We also managed to catch the cherry blossoms in Washington. I never expected to see so many cherry blossoms trees and it always made me smile when i spotted one at an unexpected corner.

And I just want all of you to know that your kind words goes a long way for me beyond a 2 week trip. Shortly after our trip, we received news that my husband got accepted into a MBA program at NYU (we made the trip so that he can attend the interview) and are now in the midst of planning a 2 year relocation to NYC.

Yes, I am a little scared (actually make that very very scared) as there is going to be so much changes and sacrifices (i am going to miss having a job / family / frens). But the responses you ladies have offered me just from my posting of one little question makes me feel that it is going to be alright. That people are willing to help. Thank you for making that difference.

Congratulations!!!! It sounds like a wonderful opportunity even though change can be difficult. And this is a big one.

I am starting to feel a little overwhelmed at the thought of moving soon (about 100 miles away to be closer to my husband's new job ... just in time as his old location will close sometime this year) but we will be in the same state/country and will be closer to family. I cannot imagine the range of emotions you are feeling.

It will work out fine (I always believe in a positive attitude) and I have no doubts you'll make friends. In fact, Michael's now has monthly crops the last Friday of each month (details can be found on their website) for very low cost. I've gone to crops (not yet at Michael's) and made cards because I don't really scrapbook much. So, that could be a fun and easy way to make friends!

And, at least once a year, their our Scrap Bus Tours (Shop Hops) and The Inkpad is usually one of the stops. It's something I've always wanted to do but never have (yet!)

Safe travels and ...

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2010, 01:08 PM   #24  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

Hi all,

Glad you had a great time, and congrats to hubby. I live in NYC; so if you want a scrapping/stamping buddy, just let me know. Good luck wit the relocation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2010, 05:09 PM   #25  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

wow congratulations to your husband! what will he be studying at NYU? I stress at the thought of moving 2 doors away, never mind to another country. I am sure the change will be fun and exciting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2010, 04:08 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

congratulations to your husband! Welcome to NYC! I'm just across the river in Jersey City.

For stamping/crafting fun, sign up for the Ink Pad's emails. They come once a week or so and every month they list the schedule of classes that they hold in a community center down the street. I did one once and it was so much fun. (also, the emails announce monthly coupons -- Buy $XX amount and receive a certain thing for free).

Moving is hard, but I hope that such an interesting and diverse city like NYC will give you lots of things to learn and to explore!
Reply With Quote Likes