Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-21-2019, 01:02 AM   #41
Kookie Creator

Rebecca, are you talking about the relatively new "Large Letter" category that's in between regular mail and packages (in 1st class)? The postage for a large letter is not much more than regular and cheaper than for a package. You also get 3/4" thickness. I have sent a few cards this way in bubble mailers large enough to qualify and they got to their destinations okay. Still hesitant but for lumpy cards it's much cheaper than mailing as a package! A LOT of USPS changes in the 1-2 years! xoxo
My Paper Paisleys Art Blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
kazeka likes this post.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:00 AM   #42
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123scrap View Post
Rebecca, are you talking about the relatively new "Large Letter" category that's in between regular mail and packages (in 1st class)? The postage for a large letter is not much more than regular and cheaper than for a package. You also get 3/4" thickness. I have sent a few cards this way in bubble mailers large enough to qualify and they got to their destinations okay. Still hesitant but for lumpy cards it's much cheaper than mailing as a package! A LOT of USPS changes in the 1-2 years! xoxo

Good to know. News to me.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:30 PM   #43
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123scrap View Post

USPS does not have a "large letter" category. It's called "large envelope."

There are dimensional requirements for that class, just like others.
123scrap likes this post.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:12 AM   #44
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNacho View Post
USPS does not have a "large letter" category. It's called "large envelope."

There are dimensional requirements for that class, just like others.

Oops, thanks for correcting me, Emily. You are correct, it's called Large Envelope. Yes, you must use a larger envelope, but I have been able to mail lumpier cards with the thicker width allowed that would have otherwise been required to be package rate. You just have to sandwich your card between two pieces of thick card stock the size of the envelope. The rate is cheaper than package. I also write 'Large Envelope Rate' on the front of the envelope.
My Paper Paisleys Art Blog
bjeans likes this post.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:23 AM   #45
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm sorry this response won't be of any help whatsoever, but I had to chime in. At my post office, there's just no telling what mailing a card will cost. It depends on a variety of things - what side of the bed the grouchy person across the mail counter got off on, what person I get, even the nice one has her "days". smh I can mail an identical card three days in a row, and get charged different amounts each of those days. It's nuts. I've gotten to the point where I make my kids go in to mail them for me whenever possible. I have a terrible condition - my eyes roll to the back of my head no matter how hard I resist. Oh, and apparently I don't have to say a single word and the other person knows EXACTLY what I'm thinking just by the look on my face. I just remind myself that I'm lucky to be able to mail the card, and I'm extraordinarily lucky not to have to live with the person who's helping me. Who knows, maybe they're going through rough times. (But three years is a loooong time to be in a grouchy mood in my opinion. lol) I think I have such a bad grudge against them because there are many, many times where I see a person in front of me mail a box regular Priority that could easily have fit in one of the Flat Rate boxes they have right there, less than a couple feet away. The poor person pays waaaay more than they would have had to if they just stuck it in the Flat Rate box. More than a few times I had to be my busy body (nosey?) self, and tell the customer before they paid that they had the option of using the Flat Rate box to save money. Usually they're very happy and do it. It just makes me so mad that the postal person wouldn't even bother mentioning it! It's not like it comes out of their paycheck, right? It's simply not nice.
Arlene_C, kazeka, jeanne3579 and 1 others like this post.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:38 PM   #46
Proud Fan Club Member

It's surprising that you can mail in clear cello envies. USPS website states that envelopes must be made of paper.
I had the same idea years ago that Postal folks could enjoy some beauty when they would see our cards through clear envies, but then I found that they may not be delivered!
Old 08-27-2019, 04:02 AM   #47
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by grateful2bsaved View Post
I'm sorry this response won't be of any help whatsoever, but I had to chime in. At my post office, there's just no telling what mailing a card will cost. It depends on a variety of things - what side of the bed the grouchy person across the mail counter got off on, what person I get, even the nice one has her "days". smh I can mail an identical card three days in a row, and get charged different amounts each of those days. It's nuts. I've gotten to the point where I make my kids go in to mail them for me whenever possible. I have a terrible condition - my eyes roll to the back of my head no matter how hard I resist. Oh, and apparently I don't have to say a single word and the other person knows EXACTLY what I'm thinking just by the look on my face. I just remind myself that I'm lucky to be able to mail the card, and I'm extraordinarily lucky not to have to live with the person who's helping me. Who knows, maybe they're going through rough times. (But three years is a loooong time to be in a grouchy mood in my opinion. lol) I think I have such a bad grudge against them because there are many, many times where I see a person in front of me mail a box regular Priority that could easily have fit in one of the Flat Rate boxes they have right there, less than a couple feet away. The poor person pays waaaay more than they would have had to if they just stuck it in the Flat Rate box. More than a few times I had to be my busy body (nosey?) self, and tell the customer before they paid that they had the option of using the Flat Rate box to save money. Usually they're very happy and do it. It just makes me so mad that the postal person wouldn't even bother mentioning it! It's not like it comes out of their paycheck, right? It's simply not nice.

Flat Rate Priority versus Priority confuses me (unless it’s a few sheets of paper not going far), and luckily our Post Office people are always helpful determining which is better. (Where we used to live they would not have been - too busy, crowded, they were in survival mode.)

But it would be nice to pack at home if I knew ahead of time which was cheaper.

A lightweight envelope or package delivered locally will be cheaper to deliver using standard priority mail instead of the flat rate service, while heavier packages going longer distances will be cheaper to send via flat rate priority mail.”

Different sites describe it similarly. Supposedly there’s a calculator that I haven’t dug up.

Last edited by bjeans; 08-27-2019 at 05:31 AM..
grateful2bsaved likes this post.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:29 AM   #48
Pearl-ExPert

That explains the question I got yesterday and the difference in price I was quoted. I just took the cheaper way, but it was not explained to me. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:09 AM   #49
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnsteele View Post
A quick test I've used for thickness is to slide my card in its envelope through the guide rail of my Fiskars paper trimmer. If it goes through neatly and without catching, I put just one stamp on it. If it sticks, then I add the additional ounce stamp.
Yep, this is what I do as well.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Old 08-27-2019, 11:09 AM   #50
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOBY29 View Post
I am from the UK so don't know if this is relevant elsewhere. In the post office there is a plastic device with a gap in it and if the envelope will go through the gap, then extra postage is not needed. Quite a long time ago I found out that if you use a Fiskars paper trimmer, the plastic blade holder has a gap and this is the same size as the post office device. So I thread my envelope through this gap before putting on a stamp. I have found this to be very helpful. Make sure it works for where you are just in case rules are different. Hope this helps.

I have a postal scale so I can easily weigh cards and packages but this tip about the Fiskars paper trimmer is so great! I had never heard about doing this but now I'm going to be running all of my cards and envelopes through. I've had a postal clerk refuse an envelope unless I add package postage, and then had a clerk at another window in the same post office take it as a regular letter with one stamp. Most of my cards go for one postage stamp, unless it has bulky embellishments that make it too thick. That's one reason I've cut back on the bulk. I still use layers, but skip the buttons and large ribbon bows and knots.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:42 PM   #51
Glitter Guru

CANADIANS!
I finally found it!
Even after asking several times, and phoning some 1-800 number and then getting some survey and suggesting they make one for purchase, a month ago.

Tonight I finally lucked out, somewhere on these thread made me search the right words LETTERMAIL TEMPLATE on the Canada Post website and it finally appeared, I have looked before and did not have proper lingo Lettermail has to be all one word otherwise it won’t work in the search, then a link pops up to buy one $9.20
Plus tax free shipping but you have to have a Business Account, we do! Yay!
Ordered it right away!

Pretty sure it is the same
As Rebecca Ednie post 33
Attached Thumbnails
790a1a0b-4d14-47ad-9b8d-c80ee02a7108.png