Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-26-2005, 07:45 PM   #1
Rubber Obsessor

Default Should I become a demonstator??

Hi everyone. My demonstrator asked me today if I every considered becoming one. I have, but I really don't want to do workshops. Is this a requirement?? Are there other reasons for becoming one. I need some advise. Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-26-2005, 07:54 PM   #2
Crimping Master

No your not required to hold workshops. The only requirement is to have a min. of $300.00 in sales in a quarter. So if you think you can sell to friends and family without holding workshops and do 300.00 in sales a quarter then go for it. You have nothing too lose but a ton to gain.

Good Luck
Old 03-26-2005, 07:54 PM   #3
Rubber Obsessor

Hi there. I too am becoming am thinking of becoming a demostrator. From what I know, you have a quarterly minimum you must meet, and thats it. You don't have to do workshops or parties if you don't want to....you could do catalog parites only maybe, or just be what's called a hobby demo, meaning for your hobby only. I hope this helps! Good luck with your decision!
Old 03-26-2005, 08:32 PM   #4
Insane Embellisher

I have been considering becoming a demo also. My demo is moving to Colorado in June. I have lots of friends that could help with the minimun ordering.
I figured I could just do stamp club like my demo does. We meet at her house once a month & each person commits to spending a set $$ amount each month.
Like "sixbares" said, not much to loss but tons to gain....I could probably buy the minimun myself
Old 03-26-2005, 08:38 PM   #5
Rubber Obsessor

thanks for the encouragement. I know I could buy the min. myself. I really need to think about this. everyone is so nice. I'm glad my demonstator suggested this site to me.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:47 PM   #6
Mad Swapper

nurse and Jeanne - The starter kit alone is such a great value. You can even tailor the sets you choose to blend with what you already have.
If each of you already have an idea that you can make the $300 each quarter - you have nothing to lose and tons to gain. But watch out! - you might just catch the sharing bug and end up doing even more that you imagined. This site and the SU magazine and the SU site offer such a great wealth of support and ideas. Good Luck with your decisions. We'll be looking forward to seeing you in the demo forums.
SCS member #549
My Gallery
"Let your little light shine...."
Old 03-26-2005, 09:28 PM   #7
Stampin' Fool

I have recently participated in two great threads asking the same question. You might want to read these recent threads for more info! (P.S. I signed up!)

http://forums.splitcoaststampers.com...er=asc&start=0

http://forums.splitcoaststampers.com...er=asc&start=0

HTH!
Old 03-26-2005, 09:48 PM   #8
Kookie Creator

I say if there is no doubt that you can meet the quarter requirement do it. I've been a demo for exactly one year and I've only ever done 1 party for friends.

1-The starter kit is way worth it, even if you go inactive months later there is nothing to loose.

2-Discount!

3-First to know about specials and you get mini catalogs a month before everybody else. Also a monthy stamp mag with tons of ideas.

4- Preorders!!

5- Based on sales you can earn product through great rewards, hostess sets before they hit the new catty and free stamps through sellabration. (even if you pass your discount to family for sales)

There are lots of other reasons, but these are the top reasons I do it. I think if your seriously considering it , there is no reason not to.

"Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort" - Franklin D. Roosevelt

http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.com/go/londonrain
Old 03-27-2005, 02:56 AM   #9
Kar
Glitter Guru

I agree with what everyone said on here already!! I am soooooooo glad I signed on to be a demo.. to bad Wisconsin seems to be over populated with them...
SCS member #735
Old 03-27-2005, 04:09 AM   #10
Insane Embellisher

GO FOR IT!! I signed up 2 years ago with plans to be a hobby demonstrator only. I am now leaving on Saturday on the Western Carribean cruise --all free of course courtesy of SU!! Aside from the perks, just think of the people you might meet To me, it is a great fit and my "hobby" is the most fun "job" you could have. Best of luck!
Old 03-27-2005, 05:02 AM   #11
Stazon Splitcoast

It depends. Committing to spending $100 a month (or $80) after the discount on one brand of craft/stamps is the thing. Do you like to buy from a variety of companies? Would you normally spend that much just on SU? If you look back on the last year howmuch have you spent on SU alone? Add it up. If it is close to the minimum, then I say go for it. If it is no where near it, and you like to buy hero arts, magenta, penny black, stamps happen and the dozens of other companies and papers then I say slow down a minute and just think it through. If you are comfortable financially so that you dont' really notice/care a few hundred a month, become a demo. If you are pinching pennies, etc. wait and make sure you can afford it. The demo kit is a deal -- if you don't already have a lot of what is in it (I do). So, think.

I've done my thinking and will become a demo when the new catalogue comes out.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:20 AM   #12
Pearl-ExPert

Make sure you really think about it before you dive in. It sounds easy and fun (which it can be), but you have to go into it prepared and with the right knowledge. I kind of just dove into it without considering the extra bookeeping for taxes. I tried to keep afloat, but after just over a year had to let it go. I spent way too much of my own money to keep my mins. There are so many demos where I live that it's difficult to find customers. It's also not as easy to convince people that stamping is THE only hobby as it was to convice me!

Good luck in your decision!
Old 03-27-2005, 05:24 AM   #13
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kar
I agree with what everyone said on here already!! I am soooooooo glad I signed on to be a demo.. to bad Wisconsin seems to be over populated with them...
I agree...everyone you talk to here in Wisconsin seems to be a demo or know a demo! It's hard to find new customers with that type of competition. You have to be more creative, offer better specials and devote more time to the business to get ahead of the other demos with so many so close together.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:25 AM   #14
Stampin' Fool

Okay, I have been thinking about becoming a demo too. I was glad to hear that the party thing is not a requirement. Right now I'm still in college (graduating with an English education degree Dec 2005!) so I was afraid that I would not have enough time to split between homework, and being a demo. My biggest problem is that I don't know any stampers in my area. My demo is a good 30 mins from me. Most of the other people that I have met that stamp, I met from the PlayDay at my demos. I wouldn't want to take her customers. I would just feel that was wrong (with the exception of my mom, because...well she's my mom). Any suggestions of how I can find out if there are stampers in my community? Also, would anything that I bought for myself count towards my quarterly goal (I could easily make the $300 goal myself that way)? Sorry this is so long, but I've been thinking about demoing for several months now.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:06 AM   #15
Stazon Splitcoast

Yes. Anything you purchase for yourself counts towards the quarterly minimum. The minimum is $300, but after you factor in the 20% discount, it is really $240, or $80 a month. You never have to sell to anyone other than yourself. Basically, this is a way that SU gives a discount to frequent purchasers. Or, a more cynical way to look at it is that, after you've invested the $200 for the demo kit, it is a way to keep you buying!! It really depends upon your own financial situation and love of SU products.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:26 AM   #16
Stampin' Fool

Wow! I didn't realize that anything that I bought for myself would count towards my goal. I'm really warming up to the idea of being a Hobby Demo. I wouldn't mind doing a party every now and then, but I love the idea of catalog orders. Now, if I can just find a way to locate stampers and scrapbookers in my direct area. I've already checked and there's not a demo in my part of town. We have a local newspaper that I thought about running some kind of ad in, but I'm not if it would work.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:36 AM   #17
Kookie Creator

My neighbor and I are both into SU! and so this summer we are going to become one hobby demo together. We both belong to a hostess club where we spend $25 a month. Being hobby demos we will be required to spend $40 a month each or $120 a quarter to meet our quarterly minimum. We are both very excited about doing it this way because we will get all the demo benefits and only spend $15 more a month.

If you know somebody (you trust) who you can get into an agreement with you may want to consider this option if you have any doubts about meeting the quarterly minimum.

Rebecca
Old 03-27-2005, 08:40 AM   #18
Stampin' Fool

Thats a really great idea. My mom stamps...I wonder..... :
Old 03-27-2005, 02:13 PM   #19
Stazon Splitcoast

While I'm not a demo yet, one way to "advertise" is to send cards to teachers, friends, etc. made with SU products. also, if you have an opportunity to donate to a silent auction, donate some SU made products -- stamped frames, etc. Put your contact info on the back. Can't hurt.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:34 PM   #20
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
While I'm not a demo yet, one way to "advertise" is to send cards to teachers, friends, etc. made with SU products. also, if you have an opportunity to donate to a silent auction, donate some SU made products -- stamped frames, etc. Put your contact info on the back. Can't hurt.
Thats a very good idea. Thanks!
Old 03-27-2005, 07:21 PM   #21
Rubber Obsessor

Wow, such great information. Many things I need to ponder. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one with these concerns.
Thanks Everyone, Oh, Happy Easter
Old 03-27-2005, 07:29 PM   #22
Stampin' Fool

Yes, a big THANK YOU to everyone! This has really given me some things to think about.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:54 PM   #23
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
What a GREAT idea! TFS... I am a "new" demo waiting on my number and was thinking about ways to let others know of my new business and thanks to you I know how I will do this!

Thanks again!!

Patti
Old 03-28-2005, 04:26 PM   #24
Stampin' Fool

I just wanted to let everyone know that I called my Demo today to have her send me the paperwork to become a demo! I am so excited!!! Thank you all so much for answering my questions, it was the determining factor in my signing up!