Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-10-2005, 01:45 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I Become a Demo?

I've been a SU! customer for about three years now and love the products. I go back and forth about whether I should become a DEMO. My husband DIScourages it (although he supports my addiction), citing lack of time (full-time job, three kids 8, 6, and 2, etc.) Also, I am afraid of not being able to meet the quota. I don't want stamping to become STRESSFUL because it has always given me peace. Besides, I don't think my house is nice enough to have a lot of people over to stamp. LOL. I know most of you are DEMOS . . . give it to me straight!

My Little Blog . . .
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2005, 01:48 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

I was totally worried about meeting the quota but I have had absolutly no problems. You do need to have your dh's support. I know I have had to tell my dh that I need place an order for this and that but he is very supportive. Are you wanting to become a demo for the discount or to make money? I didn't do it to make money that is just a very little perk.

SAHM to Dominik 1/1/00 & Alyssa 3/8/01
www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/smartinez182

Go Beavers!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2005, 01:50 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Thanks for your response. Not for money, more for the discount. Is it worth it?

My Little Blog . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2005, 01:52 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I agree. Having your DH's support is essential. My DH is the one that encouraged me to do it. He said that even if I didn't do workshops and was just a hobby demo at least I would get a discount on money I am already giving the company anyway! I reached on epoint about a year and a half ago where I started to get very stressed about doing workshops and stuff and that is when my DH told me to take a deep breath and to go stamp and do nothing but for a few hours. He cleaned the house and then left so I would have no distractions. I remembered at that point why I loved stampin so much. Sometimes you just need to take a step back and breathe. Sorry I wasn't much help. Good Luck with your decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2005, 01:59 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillieBee
Thanks for your response. Not for money, more for the discount. Is it worth it?
If you are doing for the discount than I would say go for it if you plan on spending the $300 all yourself. You get the SS for ideas and you are able to preorder stuff so that is fun to.

Go Beavers!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2005, 02:28 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Default Should I become a demo?

Hi BillieBee, I can understand all the hesitation and I have read some of the others posts and just had to let you know....I became a demo almost 6 years ago. My DH didn't want me to do it and I paid with my own money and told him that it would not interfer with anything the two of us would be doing together of with the kids. I also joined to celebrate my cancer was gone!
My kids are both grown up and I am still doing all this on my own. He tells me that he likes the fact that I never buy a card anymore and that I enjoy making my own and teaching others to do it too. He doesn't support the overall decision I made to this day, but I told him, "He has his passions and I have mine!"
I have agreed over the years that I would not go to convention unless I can pay for it completely on my own and that I would not schedule a party on the same date as his annual tractor show and our anniversary.
So far I kept my end of the bargain and have not regretted a moment of it.
I love what I do and love to share with others.
To sum it all up....do what you love to do and if it makes you happy.
Life is too short to wonder what if........!
LeAne SCS#2819 & Grandma to Lindsey!
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2005, 02:40 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I've been a demo for about one year now. I've honestly not had to work hard at it AT ALL. I do a party about once a quarter or have a "catalog party". I found one group of girls at work that enjoy it - and they almost always get me to my quota. I have a toddler and one on the way - and so far, I haven't felt like I'm spending too much of my time away from my family. It is actually a nice break. Also, tax time was nice b/c everything that I buy is a write-off I love getting the discount and all the extra freebies and ideas SU gives us.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2005, 02:41 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

I thank you for such an inspiring reply. It is a big decision and would require my husband to take the kids out at least once a month (maybe more?) so that I can demo. I know the PROS of being a demo, but am interested in hearing some honest CONS, too.

Again, thank you for your advice, crazy4stamps

My Little Blog . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2005, 03:12 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I know the PROS of being a demo, but am interested in hearing some honest CONS
You may have to stamp on a night you don't exactly feel like it. I made the mistake of scheduling a show the day after a demo meeting so I had to spend the week before making 20 swaps, cutting for 18 MNT, and then coming up with 2 cards and a brag book page and then cutting all that. It was a hecic(sp?) time but the meeting was great and my party was a total success so it was all worth it but some of those nights I would have liked to just go to bed instead of stamping.

That is the only CON I can think of.

Go Beavers!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2005, 03:41 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have a few questions as well ... hope you don't mind ....

If you are a hobby only demo (only for the discount), how much paperwork is required at tax time? Is it worth it?

With the new colors coming out and the new catalog in July, is there a "best date" to sign up in the next few months? I have all of the products in the Demo Kit and have always thought that it would not benifit me to sign up because I would have a few duplicate items (chalks, etc.) Now that there are new colors and such ... the hostess kit alone might be worth the investment. I just didn't know for sure when I could sign up and get "new" catalogs and be able to order new colors and such ... KWIM?

If I were to become a SU demo, would I be limited in other creative outlets? Like .. teaching crafts/stamping/scrapbooking at local craft stores?

And please .. do not throw tomatoes at me for my next question .... I beg of you ... If I were a SU Demo (discount only), could I also be a demo for another company for their discount as well?

Thanks,
Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2005, 03:44 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

I just had to respond.....personally, I feel anyone named Billie should definitely be a demo!

I honestly don't have any "cons" to complain about, except maybe that I'm pretty confident that I will never see the end of my wish list - new ideas and products come out faster than I can keep up!

It's worth it to be a demo even from a hobby standpoint - all of the extra information, ideas and support is wonderful! The SU website, monthly Stampin' Success magazines, regional meetings, conventions....it's all so awesome! Plus, being a demo keeps me on my toes - it motivates me to try new techniques and keep up on trends.

Good luck with your decision! (But from one Billie to another...I'd say GO FOR IT!!!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2005, 03:56 PM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by keagle
I have a few questions as well ... hope you don't mind ....

If you are a hobby only demo (only for the discount), how much paperwork is required at tax time? Is it worth it?

With the new colors coming out and the new catalog in July, is there a "best date" to sign up in the next few months? I have all of the products in the Demo Kit and have always thought that it would not benifit me to sign up because I would have a few duplicate items (chalks, etc.) Now that there are new colors and such ... the hostess kit alone might be worth the investment. I just didn't know for sure when I could sign up and get "new" catalogs and be able to order new colors and such ... KWIM?

If I were to become a SU demo, would I be limited in other creative outlets? Like .. teaching crafts/stamping/scrapbooking at local craft stores?

And please .. do not throw tomatoes at me for my next question .... I beg of you ... If I were a SU Demo (discount only), could I also be a demo for another company for their discount as well?

Thanks,
Kimberly
No tomato's being thrown here!
I BELIEVE you cannot be a demo for another company while demo'ing for SU. There are demos that teach scrapping/stamping at craft stores, that won't interfere, but you can't demo for similar company (this has come up in my upline group before, we had a woman who was a CM consultant, and she signed up for SU, and has to choose)
I would say wait until July 1 to sign up, to get the new colour combos in the pastels, etc. Plus, you get the new catalogues.
I've been a demo since January, and my Up-up-upline's husband gave us a tax seminar in March with how he did his wife's taxes, and it's actually pretty easy unless you have TONS of itemized deductions like an office space (that can be complicated). Otherwise, there is a US tax form for direct-sales consultants (which is what we are), and the IRS publishes a booklet... pretty simple actually.
That said, SU is great, and I agree that the only "con" I have is not reaching the end of my wish list. I spend most of the money myself, and my family buys the rest... I have NO problem making the $300 (US) per quarter quota. Talk to your DH and tell him WHY you want to join SU. Maybe that will help?
Have fun, and good luck with your decision!
Jen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2005, 04:04 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Default The only con...

I have found (which might not be a con at all...) is that sometimes your business starts to take off whether you want it to or not. I've been trying to keep things to a slow pace (I'm a hobby demo). I try not to do more than one workshop or event per month because between my family and my other committments, I don't have much free time. But, lately, my business has been snow-balling!!! Where I used to have workshops and I was lucky if I got one booking, I'm now having workshops where 3 or 4 are booking workshops, and all wanting the same month! On top of that, everyone wants to be in one or more of my clubs (The Stamper's Six Club requires a workshop each month all on it's own since each member wants to actually host in-home!!) And, even though I'm trying to put the brakes on before things get out of hand and I'm doing several workshops a week, I have a hard time saying "no" and simply telling them my next available time for a workshop is in two months. But, then, I'm a people-pleaser to a fault.

So, long story short, it can get away from you. But, if you are the kind of person who can actually say "no" when you know you should, then by all means, GO FOR IT!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2005, 04:27 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am seriously thinking about being a demo. I saw that when you sign up you don't have to make quota until the next quarter. So if this is right, if I sign up in July, then I would not have to make quota until the 4th quarter????? Is that right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2005, 05:20 PM   #15  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lishee
I am seriously thinking about being a demo. I saw that when you sign up you don't have to make quota until the next quarter. So if this is right, if I sign up in July, then I would not have to make quota until the 4th quarter????? Is that right?
If you sign up in July, the next full quarter would be Oct-Nov-Dec (since Jul-Aug-Sep would have started), so you would have until the end of Dec.

The VERY WORST that can happen if you don't make quota (and don't make it up the next month) is that you get dropped. Which means ... no discount any more ... but you can still buy stamps! If you are spending the money on stamps already, I'd say 'Go for it'.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2005, 07:46 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

That is what I thought. Thanks for your reply!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2005, 09:38 PM   #17  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

You can be a demo for a non-competing company if you are a demo for SU!. You can demo Pampered Chef or candles or bath stuff... just not CM or one of the other stamping companies. (Conflict of interest)

I am a hobby demo and don't anticipate making enough money to have to worry about taxes. I am printing off my monthly statements every month just in case, and will keep receipts for anything stamping I buy, also just in case. If I don't hit the minimum, it won't have to go on the taxes. I'm not sure if it's $400 or $600 right now, but I didn't get near that last year - but only started last summer.

I'd say go for it - there is nothing to "worry" about because if you don't make the minimums, you simply go back to being a customer!!! At least you tried. I basically hesitated for awhile because I didn't want to ruin by hobby by making it "work" but then realized I could do it on a very low level.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2005, 09:49 PM   #18  
Glitter Queen

Default becoming a demo

What is a "hobby" demo? I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I love the stamps but don't like parties. Any way to sell without having parties. Altho I would go to classes. Maybe this would take me out of my shell. Also, what are the costs of the kits?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2005, 10:20 PM   #19  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

"Hobby" simply means we are selling to only ourselves, or perhaps one or two close friends and family. I have done NO workshops, parties, or anything. Some do a workshop once in awhile, or get a group of friends that like to stamp together and they support you.

The starting kit is, I think, $200. You get well more than that in value. If you go to the Stampin' Up! website, I believe you can find out what it costs and exactly what is in the kit - some of the things you can substitute others.

I would say "ask your demo" but I know when I was thinking about it, I didn't want her to know until I was sure, so I found out as much information as I could ahead of time.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2005, 02:33 AM   #20  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I love being a demo... I am mostly a hobby demo and have spent more than I made already so not worrying about taxes!! ;) I think everyone spends more than they make. I have had just my Open House since January and even made my Stampin Start w/o a single workshop booked!!! I have people that just order from me every couple of months! The products really do sell themselves!
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2005, 03:37 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

I've been a SU! customer for about three years now and love the products. I go back and forth about whether I should become a DEMO. My husband DIScourages it (although he supports my addiction), citing lack of time (full-time job, three kids 8, 6, and 2, etc.) Also, I am afraid of not being able to meet the quota. I don't want stamping to become STRESSFUL because it has always given me peace. Besides, I don't think my house is nice enough to have a lot of people over to stamp. LOL. I know most of you are DEMOS . . . give it to me straight!

Speaking as a former demo, you need to ask yourself two very important questions:

1. Why do I want to sign up?
2. If I'm not able to meet quotas, can I afford to spend $300 every quarter on stamps and accessories?

That second question is really key and you have to be honest with yourself. You'll notice it doesn't say, "Do I WANT to spend $300 a quarter on goodies" or "Do I NEED to spend $300 a quarter on goodies". Of course, many stampers, self included, would LOVE to spend that much - or more - on stamps and accessories ;) but you can also get yourself in to debt very quickly by being your own best customer.

If you are just signing up JUST for the discount, don't. See if you can find another demo willing to share her discount with you.

As to the other concerns you cited, if your dh is DIScouraging it, see if he has some valid points. It's not worth placing a sore spot in your marriage to sign up if he would rather you didn't, especially if he is already supportive of your hobby. (Many dh's aren't supportive of their wives hobbies. Would signing up cause him to feel a little less supportive?)

As for the house, you don't have to have people over to your house - you can always go to theirs.

Last, but not least, the PEACE you feel from stamping is something you can continue to feel, demo or not. But if you stamp for the enjoyment of it and don't want it to turn in to a 'job', you might want to reconsider.

This is, of course, JMHO! ;)

Good luck in whatever you decide....
Blessings,

"I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to."
"When we forgive, we free ourselves from the bitter ties that bind us to the one who hurt us."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2005, 04:08 AM   #22  
Glitter Guru

I am seriously thinking about signing up after the new catalog comes out - why...because knowing myself I will want a bunch of stamp sets and I am slowly buying full sized stamp pads...

so for $250 (with the Memories Add-on) I can get a bunch of stuff I would buy anyway...my demo still gets "credit" because I will be signing up under her...I sat down and calculated the stamping stuff (with the Memories Add-on) to be about ~$325 - the rest of the value is the business stuff - catalogs, forms, etc...So it is a good deal if you are an avid stamper or scrapper...I figure I speand about $400+ a year on crafting stuff so why not...

Some stuff I already have Stampin Scrub, craft and rubber scissors and such...I figure I might be able to trade them for other stuff I would want...or if a friend wants to buy them off me...or offer them as a bonus if someone places a big order with me...

My plan is to sign up get the stuff I would buy anyway and I have a few friends at work that stamp as well - I figure I would offer them a reduced price catalog with a $25 order and a free one with a $50 order and 15% off thier first order by a certain date (to go with my first hostess order of 30% off)...

If by the end of the year I haven't made quota no big deal to me...I'll just fade into the background and buy from my demo again...but by then I would have gotten a bunch of stuff I wanted out of the new catalog...at least at a discount to me...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2005, 04:19 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

[QUOTE=jonnie]What is a "hobby" demo? I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I love the stamps but don't like parties. Any way to sell without having parties. /QUOTE]

Yes. You can get a "Stampers 5" (or 10, or 12, or 3, or whatever number works for you...) together. My local demo does this. She has 5 people who have committed to buying a minimum of $30 per month, which totals $150 (qualifying for a show). She rotates the hostess benefits so that each person in the group gets to be the hostess one month, AND, she doesn't have to do shows to meet her quotas. If you don't want to do shows this is a really great way to meet your minimums without having to be your own best customer. She also does a 'stamp camp' once a week in her home, but with the Stampers 5 group, she's set!

HTH!
Blessings,

"I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to."
"When we forgive, we free ourselves from the bitter ties that bind us to the one who hurt us."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2005, 06:38 AM   #24  
Crimping Master

I would say go for it!! I have been a demo since june 04 and I love it !! It is not stressful at all !! I love sharing stamping with others!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2005, 07:35 AM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

Jenni,

Speaking as a demo here, I believe you will do your demonstrator more harm than good by signing up just to get the kit at a discount. You are taking away from her sales. There is much more benefit from having that $400+ as a customer than as a recruit who eventually expects to drop out. Now if a customer is consistantly spending $100 a month ($300 a quarter) then I suggest they sign up because they are spending the quarterly minimum on their own. That is just my opinion though and others may not feel the same way. So I would suggest you talk to her about your plans.

Fact of the matter is that it will cost you $1200 a year to maintain a demonstratorship if you don't have anyone else helping you. That doesn't count your kit, traveling expenses, etc.
I FiNallY DiD iT - TAC AnGeL #2645

Check out my gallery!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2005, 07:38 AM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

One thing to add...if you do teach at local craft stores you aren't allowed to advertise yourself as an SU demo...you can't hand out business cards or even talk about your selling product. In fact, most craft stores won't allow this either, so it goes both ways. They want you to sell their in-store products.
I FiNallY DiD iT - TAC AnGeL #2645

Check out my gallery!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2005, 07:42 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Talking

Hi BillieBee and Billie Rose this is BilliePam ~ didn't know there were so many of us out there! This is a great thread if you are considering becoming a demo. Wish, I could, but I think my demo would not want me to become one lol. Anyway, good luck to you BillieBee!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2005, 09:24 AM   #28  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boulderstamper
I believe you will do your demonstrator more harm than good by signing up just to get the kit at a discount. You are taking away from her sales. There is much more benefit from having that $400+ as a customer than as a recruit who eventually expects to drop out.
Can you explain this further...according to my calculations if I spent $400 a year on stamps thru my demo she earns...~ $80 plus I know extra things along the way for the amount of her sales...

However wouldn't it be more benefical for her to have a person under her - even if only for a few months - she gets the benefit of having a recruit plus a small % of my sales...correct

No one knows when they sign up if they will continue with it at any rate...I was just trying to point out that my plan was to go ahead and sign up take advantage of what SU has to offer but if for some reason I don't make quota - no harm no foul...I think the mindset is very different for someone who signs up to be a demo for thier own personal stamping gain vs someone who signs up to be a demo for the "business" aspect and financial gain. I think it would also be different for a demo who has a small customer base vs a large customer base...if you have a small customer base I would say a demo would probably not encourage her customers to be demos because she might lose out on $ that she needs to fill her quota....but if a demo has a fairly large customer base and has no problems hitting quota quarter after quarter they would be more likely to encourage their customers to become demos - hobby or otherwise...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2005, 10:12 AM   #29  
Mad Swapper

LOL! I rarely meet another Billie, unless his real name is William. Glad to "meet" the two of you . . . thanks for the advice

My Little Blog . . .
Reply With Quote Likes