Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-18-2010, 07:46 AM   #81
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julia SView Post
I believe that creativity is a journey. Styles change. People change. It's important to stay true to yourself and enjoy what you are creating. My advice to bloggers is to create what you love and to design for companies that you love and would want to create with regardless. Blogging does not have to be a popularity contest. Your personal blog is just that. Personal. Create for yourself otherwise you'll soon burn out.

That being said, most design teams require some many samples each month. They are sending out free product for a reason. Any design teams that I'm familiar with are not looking for a cookie cutter style and end result. It's the designer's job to put their own spin on it and to think creatively.

If you're no longer interested in a specific blog, that's fine. It's all personal choice. The designer may be going in a different direction than they originally did because that is where their creativity is taking them. Perhaps the reader is the one changing styles and interests. It's all good. Another thing to remember is that this is a tough economic climate. There is just no longer excess funds to be purchasing new goodies for every post.

Lastly, reading blogs is free. The inspiration found there is a gift from the blogger to you. If you're not interested, that's fine. Read what you want. I certainly wouldn't want to force anyone to read what I write and create. If you are interested, take time to enjoy, to give back and leave a little love.
So well said, Julia. I agree with you, and Kittie, too.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-19-2010, 12:54 AM   #82
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Here's a thought to throw out there too - someone commented on my blog thanking me for my disclaimer regarding compensation for product... I think designers are required to post that now... Anyway, she was thankful for that reminder because she felt that often many design team members implicitly communicate that their readers need *all* the products they are working with. With things as they are, I'd venture to guess that that's not realistic for most people.The fact that DT members are most often compensated in free and discounted product gives them the opportunity (and added enthusiasm) to work with a lot more product than someone who has to pay full price for the products that they use.

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

shazsilverwolf likes this post.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:07 AM   #83
Die Cut Diva

Dini- I think that is wonderful you have a disclaimer. I know that a lot of new crafter's and stamper's are so overwhelmed at the amount of items and supplies they think is a must have. I know I was one of them. It can all so confusing.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:48 AM   #84
Gallery Gazer

Interesting thread... Many good points made and many well-taken. My own blog has gone through many evolutions and reconfigures and what-have-you, with people subscribing and unsubscribing and all the rest of it. There were times when - if I was subscribed to my blog - I would have unsubscribed! Likewise, I've subscribed and unsubscribed and re-subscribed to blogs. What I'm finding is truest for me on the blogging and the subscribing is that when the blogger comes from a place of authenticity, whether it's with one product line or style or multiples, then it comes through in the posts and makes it more enjoyable for everyone. That's my guiding principle these days...

Paula in GA and Chatterbox-1 like this post.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:42 AM   #85
Mad Swapper

I have a blog and I do it because I've always loved to write stories, and I love to make cards. Many times there is a story behind a card that I that I want to share...sometimes it how it came to be, sometimes its how I made the card, sometimes its to discuss a technique...it varies. I'm a hobbyist Stampin' Up Demo, and I love their products because of their quality and creativity, but I started cardmaking at least five years before I was introduced to SU products; therefore, my craft supplies included Spellbinders (the original dies), MFT, PTI, MemoryBox, etc., etc., etc. I still use all those products, plus I've adopted others...so I make cards with a great mixture of companies, but I also make SUO cards as well.

I'm sure many don't like to read my blog, because they just want to look at pictures of cards and aren't interested in the story behind it, so my blog would not appeal to them. I always try to include the products the card was made with...I call it the Ingredients. I do this because when I was a fairly new stamper, when I saw cards on a blog, I always wanted to know what exactly did they use. So, I add Ingredients for those who want that. My blog represents me and who I am, and I, as some have said have changed my style over the years, but the only style that I can actually say isn't me is Clean & Simple or really, really fussy.
2019 Christmas Card Challenge 3/24. Alphabet Challenge, Round 10 - 7/26.
Paula in GA likes this post.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:49 AM   #86
Mad Swapper

I had subscribed to many, many blog, but found my email box was getting too full just notifying me of cards being posted to the numerous blogs that I followed. Then, I learned about Blovlovin' which tracks the blogs I want to follow and keeps them on Bloglovin' My Feed so I can easier access them, and I found this a much easier way to follow them. So, I unsubscribed, which many probably wondering why, but for me, mostly it wasn't because I did not like them anymore, but rather found an easier way to do it. I also keep a table, which alphabetically listing all the blogs I like and am following via Bloglovin'. It has four columns with the blogs name, the author's full name, the company name of products used most often, etc.. It helps me when posting to Pinterest as well. For the blog name, Bloglovin's keeps a list under My Feed with the number of cards posted in the last 2 weeks, I think. Its lists are vertical and alphabetical by blog name. The first A to Z list at the top is for those that post regularly and the bottom A-Z list are for those who haven't post in the last two weeks, I think...maybe three weeks, but each are easily accessed at a glance.
2019 Christmas Card Challenge 3/24. Alphabet Challenge, Round 10 - 7/26.

Last edited by Chatterbox-1; 01-10-2017 at 08:58 AM..
shazsilverwolf likes this post.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:50 AM   #87
Polyshrink Goddess

What are some good blogs to follow? I'm just starting to search for some! - Catherine