Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-07-2015, 03:10 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Separating my stamp sets

OK ladies, help me feel better ... i just started separating my stamp sets ... I am not sure if I am excited or feel sick to my stomach! I guess it is a little of each. I swore I would never break up my Stampin Up sets but here I am doing it! I know it will work better in the long run. I am also starting to unmount all my wood mounted stamps so I will be able to use them with the MISTI when it arrives. Going the Tack it Over route. Help me feel better!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2015, 03:39 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I started separating my stamp sets a few years ago and it is the best thing ever! I know I get more use out of them this way, especially the sentiments. I don't think you'll regret it. I also organized my embellishments according to color and I love that as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2015, 03:51 PM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

The only separating I've done is with a stamp from a set that may go with another. That doesn't make sense, but what I mean is for example Flower Shop set. I added the flower from Morning Meadow since it is the same flower and you can use the pansy punch to punch it out too. And the Label Love set...I added the artisan label from Label Something since it is the same stamp shape. I think I would have way too much trouble trying to find other stamps if they aren't together since I've had them like that from the beginning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2015, 04:55 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

I have thought about this too; especially the sentiments. I photo copy the index all of my stamp sets when I get them and have these photo copies in a notebook by category so I could always put them back in the set they belong in if need be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2015, 07:12 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

I have also decided to get rid of stamps from sets that I have never used and know I will never use ... I really need to downsize my stamp collection and take up less storage room for them. I cant see myself ever trying to sell my sets. I have been giving my unwanted to stamps to a friend's daughter and she us loving them. Better they are getting some love instead of sitting there taking up room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2015, 09:08 PM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I separated the sentiment stamps from my sets many years ago, and it has proven to be a wise one for me. It is so useful to be able to look in the drawer with thank you stamps, for example, and see every stamp I have available. I can find the exact stamp I need for my project in seconds, use it, clean it and place it back in the drawer. No messing around with opening cases, etc. Such a time saver for me and I don't have to rely on memory to find the stinkin' stamp set when I want a particular sentiment. :cool:

In an effort to relieve my stress when I originally separate the sentiments from the set, I write the name of the set in pencil on the end of the wood block. The case with the rest of the stamps has an index sheet in it, and I add a post a note indicating which stamp has been removed and where it is. This solved the problem of matching the stamp to the correct set and the pencil marks are easily erased.

I haven't figured out how to separate the sentiments from non-wood mount sets and it's bugging me. There are wonderful sentiments that are not getting much use because they are hiding in sets rather than resting comfortably in the dedicated drawers.

Good luck in your journey of separating sets. I get the squiggs thinking of the un-mounting process, but that's because it sounds like a ton of work and I would rather spend my free time playing with my stamps, not organizing them. If you like working with unmounted stamps, go for it! They are yours to do with as you please, and the stamp police can just take a hike. :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2015, 09:16 PM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by deb_loves_stampingView Post
I have also decided to get rid of stamps from sets that I have never used and know I will never use ... I really need to downsize my stamp collection and take up less storage room for them. I cant see myself ever trying to sell my sets. I have been giving my unwanted to stamps to a friend's daughter and she us loving them. Better they are getting some love instead of sitting there taking up room.
This is so smart to do. And I have done it, just not enough! Here's the problem I have; I often times want to keep one or two stamps out of the set and ditch the rest. No one I know wants a set with the best stamps missing, even if it's free. So do I just take the incomplete set to the local thrift store and let them worry about it? I know it's stupid to feel guilty for keeping a stamp, and breaking up the set for the person who might buy it, but that's how it is for me. Anyone else have this problem?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 12:09 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

I have split up a few categories. That's all I can bear to do. I did it about three years ago and it's worked out wonderful.

I've only broken up sentiments that are wood mounted.

Birthday, thank you, congrats/wedding, encouragement.

SU - (which is about 90% of my stamps) clear mount I won't break up. It would just unnerve me! I store the clear mount in the frame they come in. Much more organized, and I feel like they are less likely to drop out and get lost, especially smaller stamps.

Last edited by Allistamps123; 02-08-2015 at 12:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 12:22 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Oh, I've broken up all occasion sets too. Christmas, baby congrats, wedding, valentine's day, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 01:09 AM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

My sets have been broken apart for years and I've never regretted it. I couldn't stand looking through boxes for the perfect sentiment, the right flower, etc. and I was terrible at keeping a catalog of what I have.

It also helps me get rid of the duplicates because I really don't need 30 little hearts, 25 thinking of you, or 40 Happy Birthday stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 02:13 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Absolutely the best thing I ever did. I have sentiments/quotes that have never seen the light of day because I never thought about them. So much better now they are all stored with each other, rather than in sets.
Like most of our crafting storage, it comes down to what works best for the individual.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 04:03 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

My sets are separated...have been for a couple of years. Mine are also all unmounted. I have to say that I love it! I know I'll love it more when my MISTI comes!

Like some of you...I never realized how many birthday sentiments, or hearts, or baby stuff I had. I could never find the baby stuff since they were always mixed in with everything else.

I'm starting think about getting rid of those items in some sets that I don't use. And Halloween is the first one. I don't celebrate it at all. Got one set as a free set that has some...and bought a set on sale that I really wanted the other stamps for. I'll likely put the stamps, greetings, and framelits together and find someone who wants them.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 07:05 AM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossView Post
This is so smart to do. And I have done it, just not enough! Here's the problem I have; I often times want to keep one or two stamps out of the set and ditch the rest. No one I know wants a set with the best stamps missing, even if it's free. So do I just take the incomplete set to the local thrift store and let them worry about it? I know it's stupid to feel guilty for keeping a stamp, and breaking up the set for the person who might buy it, but that's how it is for me. Anyone else have this problem?
I apologize up front-this is a long answer.

This is a major reason I dont buy sets. I invariably only like 2-3 out of 6-7 sentiments. (sometimes as few as 1!) Therefore when I consider the cost (say 20 for a set) do I want to pay that for the 3 I like and will use? The price on a set if you use them all might be good/per stamp but not if you wont. I either then skip the set or put it in the wishlist and if it ever goes on deep discount (50% or more) then I might get it.

My answer to your question is this: You paid for the set. You should never feel quilty about what you do with it imho. What if you wanted a basket of misc beauty products. but there was say a lotion in there you knew you would never use? Would you feel bad about giving it away to a friend who liked it? I wouldnt. It isnt like there is something wrong with it-you just dont like the scent or whatever.

I do understand that people like particular fonts/sizes with sentiments so that might be a reason to get a set with standard expressions like Happy Birthday.

And then there is the whole thing of fitting into a banner set/tag die set...sigh.

And lastly there is the consideration of do you want to be able to resell them?

I recently started breaking sets myself. When I break a set, I REALLY break it-. I cut apart every single stamp. Put the ones I want to use where they belong and the rest into a bag I have stamp friends rummage through whenever they visit. The remainder I either garage sale or donate. No one would have any idea if "the best ones" are missing.

I dont break them if they are for a particular die/banner/tag size. What I do is stamp them in my catalog and write where I can find them. Just because I wont remember which goes with which banner or tag otherwise. I know this is why people keep stamps and dies together but I dont.

However cross-indexing can get messed up-I recently discovered I had not written where to find them and now I cant. You have to be diligent about that.

Sometime I should go through them and get rid of the excess sentiments. It is true-we dont need 30 Happy Birthdays. That is a very good point.

My question is this: The misti looks great but will it work as well with red rubber as clear? In theory it seems like it should, but you wont be able to see through the stamp like you do with clear for placement....?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 09:33 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
My question is this: The misti looks great but will it work as well with red rubber as clear? In theory it seems like it should, but you wont be able to see through the stamp like you do with clear for placement....?
I use the Misti for the red rubber stamps. I mount it on the swigning door, then put a scrap peice of paper down and do a trial stamp. I find red rubber stamps hard to tell if I have the sentiment upside down, etc. I then know how that image is going to look, I might realign it and stamp a trial stamping again. I also check to see what a second stamping (ghost image) would look like on that trial piece of paper.

I clean off the stamp so the ink from the trial run doesn't ruin the project.

I then do one of 2 things:
1. Line your card up in the tray. Pull the stamp off the door and lay it exactly where you want the image to be on your card. Close the door and let the stamp adhere to the plexi. Open door and ink up.

OR

2. Leave the stamp on the door and place the card into the right position - hold the card in place with magnets (I have 3 in there). Ink up and and close the door. I test the placement by closing the door a couple of times (with no ink involved).

I usually do #1.

I love the quality of rubber stamps, and the performance is better than poly. But dang the visibility of clear/poly makes stamping so much easier. I have thought about cutting my rubber stamp edges so I don't have so much overhang. It helps me visualize the size of the image better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 09:40 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks to all who replied. You all make good points. You should see my pile of give away stamps - it is huge! But I really dont use them so why keep them. I think once this project is done, I will be very happy and probably stamp more because I will be left with stamps I will use. Once I get mt MISTI I will make inventory sheets too and put them in a separte binder. I think this will be easier to do using the misti. My craft room is a huge disaster right now, LOL. For me this downsize was necessary.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 12:31 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

First point: I am kind of unorthodox with my stamps. Unless there's a set that NEEDS to stay together (like Stampendous' Snowy Short Stacks or Peek-a-boo Baby), then they get split up and grouped in themes or occasions. If I like part of the stamp but not all of it, I cut off the offending part (Sarah Kaye's Sweet Lili has NEVER had that stupid ball stamped with her). I cut apart wheels to make individual stamps. All of the red rubber is nekkid with 2-way glue on the back. They're MINE, and I do what I want!

Second point: I never, never, ever, EVER consider resale value when I'm determining what to do with my stamps. I bought them, I'm the one using them, and whatever happens to them when I've finished or moved on or changed styles or whatever truly does not concern me. I never factor in resale when I buy clothes or dishes or furniture or anything else that I use and enjoy, so why get all crazy on the stamp thing? When I moved last October, anything that hadn't already been distributed went to a local school, and they were beyond ecstatic! I had incomplete sets, total orphans, mixed bags - whatever - and they DIDN'T CARE! Ditto on the papers and punches and all. I wasn't going to use them any more, I wasn't going to haul them across the country with me - let them go "into the flow" where they'll do some good, right?

Okay - I'm done now...;)

(I thought I was, but one more thing: I have an index with pics of the complete sets if I ever want to put them together again...)

Last edited by gregzgurl; 02-08-2015 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: Add a teensy bit...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 01:15 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Sue, thanks for all your inspiration and information ... I agree with how you treat your stamps. I was always so concerned about resale value and then one day I realized that I was never going to sell my stuff anyway so why not just do what I want with them. I already feel much better. I also dont buy stamps the way I used to. I would buy everything I liked ... Now I have a lot more self restraint and I must LOVE what I buy and need to know that I will use it. Much easieri onthe pocketbook. I am loving this reorganization I am doing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 01:28 PM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Unfortunately, for me, since I don't celebrate holidays or birthdays, there will always be a certain amount of stamp waste when purchasing sets that contain greetings or sentiments. However, to protect my desire to resell in case I outgrow or won't use sets, I simply chose to have an organized bin that contains the stamps I won't ever use in the off chance that I decide to sell.

But "breaking" sets is something I have to do so I fully understand the mixed feelings you have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 01:47 PM   #19  
Forum Fanatic

I am smiling after reading all the inspiring comments on how many of you approach the process of decluttering unloved stamps. I so admire the ability to just let go of them, without allowing yourself to take on the burden of needing to provide perfect-give-away items.

Thank you for reminding me that this isn't rocket science and I won't be graded on how attractive my donated items are. ;) This has made my task much simpler, to the point that I am now looking forward to it rather than dreading it. You ladies rock! :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 02:21 PM   #20  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

My mother separated out a lot of her sentiments into special drawers she has by category (birthday, love, thanks etc) and she has never regretted it.
I've not done so, but I don't have the space to do so.
My rule of thumb for buying a set that has stuff in it I don't use has always been that I have to like at least 50% of the set. Anything less than that, and it isn't really worth it.
I have actually split a sentiment set with someone and it worked out really well. One of my Mom's customers really wanted the halloween sentiment in a set of 6, absolutely did not want the Christmas sentiment and was rather ambivalent about the rest of the set. I really, really, really wanted the Christmas sentiment, had absolutely no use for the halloween one, sort of liked a third, and was ambivalent about the rest. We each paid half, and we split the set 3 sentiments each. We both got the one we really wanted, did not get the one we had no use for and two that were "ok" and we each spent about $10. Win-win for everybody. But for me it was also an ah-hah! moment - that that stamp that I don't like/have a use for/does not fit my style may be EXACTLY what someone else really, really wants, even if it isn't a full set.
I've cut sentiments off images (though I don't usually throw them out, just means I can use them separately), cut images apart etc. I bought 'em, they're mine!
Now, demos who are on a strict business model of never keeping anything retired, and who always sell off anything not current, may need to view it differently. But for the average stamper - they're your stamps, it is your stamping space - do what YOU want!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 03:58 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by deb_loves_stampingView Post
Thanks to all who replied. You all make good points. You should see my pile of give away stamps - it is huge! But I really dont use them so why keep them. I think once this project is done, I will be very happy and probably stamp more because I will be left with stamps I will use. Once I get mt MISTI I will make inventory sheets too and put them in a separte binder. I think this will be easier to do using the misti. My craft room is a huge disaster right now, LOL. For me this downsize was necessary.
This is DEFINITELY true! I store all of my stamps on 4 x 6 laminated cards, and I just stick the whole card to the MISTI with poster tape and stamp the whole thing on an index card at the same time. It has saved me HOURS!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 08:09 PM   #22  

Received 846 Likes on 279 Posts

I'm a SU demo and just the other day I decided that I'm not going to store stamps that I don't use. I have started going through and am mercilessly culling my stamps. I'm going through all of my retired sets (woodmount & cling mount) keeping the specific stamps I want and putting the rest in bins to take to the flea market.

I'm putting like sentiments together(e.g. birthday, thank you, christmas, etc) and related images together in dvd cases.

Part of what finally put me over the separation edge was doing a flea market last month and while I sold several sets, I had quite a few people ask if I would sell a particular image from a set. At this month's flea market people will have their pick because I'm going to have bins full of wood mount and cling mount stamps available for purchase individually or in small groupings. Not a single stamp will cost more than $2.

I'm only about 30% through my collection and I feel so FREE already! My mojo has also kicked into overtime because as I've been going through the stamp sets I've come across stamps that I had forgotten about but that I once loved.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 09:43 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

lol... Shellie I wonder how long it would take me to drive down from Bandon, OR to Brookdale....lol I know I NEED some of your stamps......

Faith
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2015, 10:06 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

This was a Great Thread for me to read... I needed to read it... I see a stamp trading time coming up in my little stamping group.... Thank You all for sharing what you have done... No more of those stamps telling me what to do....lol..lol

Faith
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2015, 05:01 AM   #25  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Ok-it's good to know you can use rubber stamps on the Misti cuz that aint a cheap tool. Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2015, 07:35 AM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

I am not a particularly OCD person, and I certainly am not a neat freak...but for some reason I can't stomach the idea of breaking up my stamp sets.
my first attempt at getting more use out of my stamps was to simply create a catalog. It was a bit of a pain but I did it. And it really helped me mix and match more. After a year of using this I realized how useful it would be to have them organized by theme. Still did not want to break up the sets though.
I bought a photo box from Michael's and a bunch of index cards. I began by picking out all my sentiments and grouping all the birthday, thank you, miss you etc. and stamped each individual sentiment on its own card. I wrote the name of the set and the company name on the back of each card.
I did not get completely through my collection. After getting major categories done I got tired of "organizational" stamping a and just wanted to be creative for a while. Now I've come to the point where there are a bunch of stamps I want to get rid of, so they are being tossed into a box for donation.
My catalog and box need cleaned out and I have a bunch of sets that are new that need to be added .....but....I still can't physically break up my sets! I don't actually have enough room in my craft area that would make storing the stamps that way any easier or more useful.
I've come to the conclusion the organizing is just an ongoing thing for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2015, 07:44 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Beaddict (Shellie) - I hope you decide to post what you want to sell here on SCS. There are a few single stamps I want from SU sets so I would love to look at your selections.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2015, 04:04 PM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

I am starting with all my wood mounted sets ... hadnt really thought about the clear mount ones I have from Stampin Up. I will probably break them up too ... but they will be last since they are ready to use with the MISTI as is. This is gonna be a long project I can tell but I guess in the long run it will be better. Right now I am considering putting all my unmounted into Stampin Up clear mount storage to keep them all the same ... but I will need quite a few of them. Does anyone know of any similar dvd style cases that would work? I do not want to use binders ... that's just not for me. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2015, 04:30 PM   #29  

Received 846 Likes on 279 Posts

Faith ~ It would take you approximately 9 hours and 40 minutes to get here ;)

Msteaze ~ Which ones are you looking for? Most of what I'm getting rid of are clear mount (cling). I have some wood ones though.
If I know what you are looking for I can see if I have it

PM me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2015, 07:50 PM   #30  
ck1
Inking Addict

Hi all,

Can someone tell me what "MISTI" is.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2015, 08:11 PM   #31  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm giggling nervously at this thread, as I took a tiny stamp out of one of my SU sets to work on a project, didn't mark it, and now can't figure out where it goes. And yes, this bothered me LOL But you know how they have odd little stamps in each set (at least the older ones)? I think it makes sense to put all of the squiggly lines and dingbat type stamps together because I never know where those brackets or small question marks are when I need them.

I don't have that many sets, though, and I'm this close to ripping them all off the wood blocks because they take up too much room and they're so hard to see where you are stamping. I'm newly empowered, too!

And I confess: I'm one of those people who is trolling eBay to find those one-off stamps from broken up sets because I don't want to buy the whole thing! My Holy Grail will be the pine branch from Ornamental Pine (which is, of course, the best stamp in that set but maybe someone won't agree).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2015, 08:51 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Cobby: Organizing is ongoing for ALL of us, so you're in good company ;)

ck1: Follow this link to a thread about MISTI: MISTI most incredible stamp tool invented by Qtpy at Splitcoaststampers
and this one to go to the website where it's sold: Products | My Sweet Petunia | Stamping on a Whole New Level

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2015, 04:15 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossView Post
I don't ever feel guilty. I bought some sets used, and kept only one stamp from each - the BEST ONE. Then I packed the remaining stamps as tightly as I could into two flat-rate priority boxes and sold them on Ebay, stressing that the best stamp (I specifically described the missing stamp) was MISSING. People still bought the boxes!

To the OP; I've separated my stamps from the beginning, ever since 1997 when I had enough sets to start separating my stamps!

I've also just hacked off sentiments if they were connected to the main stamp image. Usually if I don't like them I give them away now. But early on, I think back in 1995 or something, with one of my earliest stamp sets, one sentiment caused such revulsion that I threw that one away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2015, 11:30 AM   #34  
ck1
Inking Addict

Thank you Sue,

I just might have to get me a Misti, looks cool.

CK
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2015, 01:19 PM   #35  
Insane Embellisher

Just this last weekend I reorganized my stamps by category. All of my sentiments are in one binder. I have separate binders for "People," "Animals & Insects," "Plants/Flowers/Trees" and "Miscellaneous." I was amazed at how many I had of similar images - hearts for example. I tried to group all of the border stamps together and the background stamps. Small stamps are all on one sheet.

I still have about 50 wood-mounted stamps that I haven't tackled yet.

It took several hours to get this done and I hope I don't ever have to do it again.

I agree with Sue - I don't buy supplies with the idea of reselling them. Life is too short.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2015, 03:48 AM   #36  
Embossing Fanatic

Question Stamp Organizing

Hi Ladies, I have just started crafting again. My husband suddenly passed away about 5 years ago, and my creativity went away. I was so devastated that when I moved I gave most of my crafting supplies to charity and a neighbor.

Now my creativity has come back and I have set up a craft room, on going process👀👅. I never finish organizing, part of bring creative and OCD.
Anyway, I have been buying stamp sets and have accumulated 3 storage containers full still in their packages. I am going to put them into Jewel Cases this weekend. Having the misfortune to start from the beginning, I don't have wood mounted stamps to deal with, so I plan on putting thr stamps in Jewel Cases I bought, recommended on here by someone.

My question is, do any of you have a list of the themes you organized your stamps into. That would help enormously. I have kept a list of all stamps I buy, listed by Brand name, so I won't buy duplicates. I keep the list in the icloud so I can check my list from my iphone anytime.

I have OCD, which has kept me from separating them thus far. What themes did you guys separate into, a list would be a great help if anyone has one. I plan to photo copy the the stamps as I put them into the large sizeCD cases and make a corresponding catalog, numbering each case, and the photo copy in the catalog the same. What do you guys think? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2015, 05:15 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have mine organized into things like this:

Floral
Other Nature
People
Buildings, Architectural
Shapes, Swirls, etc
Travel
Food
Occasions (like birthday, graduation)
Vintage
Fantasy (Fairies, dragons, unicorns, etc)
Sea (incl mermaids, fish, shells, etc
Multi-Purpose
Holidays (Christmas, Easter, T-giving, etc)
Backgrounds
Sentiments

You can see that the categories need to be tailored to the type of stamp that *you* own. For example many people would not have a Fantasy or Sea category, but I do because I have a lot of those. Lay out your stamps and start grouping under post-it headers and see what you get.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2015, 05:15 AM   #38  
Inking Addict

These are all great ideas! thank you! I mark on the side of each of my wood mounted stamps in pencil with the name and how many came in the set(Lotus Blossom 1 of 7)...and then I sort them into like sets, and I find them easier to find and use this way. And when I want to put the set back together I can round them up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2015, 07:08 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 183 Likes on 151 Posts

When I separated cling mount sentiments, I put them into Stampin' Up clear mount cases or their large wood mount cases that can be purchased in sets. That case goes in the drawer with the other sentiments so cling mount sentiments don't get lost. They easily can be put into a drawer or on a shelf to store.

I separated stamps into these categories:Animals, Anniversary/Love/Valentine's Day, Baby, Best Wishes/Congrats, Birthday, Christian/God, Christmas, Hope, Easter, Fall, Flowers, Friend, Get Well, Masculine, Summer, Sympathy, Thank You, Thanksgiving

I found this to be very helpful so when I need a stamp, I know where to find it. I make a lot of cards for different organizations and don't have time to go from set to set to find what sentiment or image I need.
My Blog- Trusting in the Lord for Everything Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your path straight. My Stampin' Up Website My Gallery, BRAK New Member Mentor. New Grandmother to Mia Lou. 1st Grandchild.

Last edited by bensarmom; 02-11-2015 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: Needed to add more
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2015, 07:14 AM   #40  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Whew! Good thread! I do have mine separated into categories, which, theoretically, makes things easier to find. I do have trouble making myself unmount stamps that are on wood. Unfortunately, that makes it harder to keep all the same things together. Especially when I have so many that are mounted. Any suggestions? I used binders for unmounted and clear stamps for awhile and decided I didn't like it, but not sure the containers I am using are any better. Hard to see without taking everything out. Sigh.
Reply With Quote Likes