Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-09-2006, 11:20 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling cards

I'm thinking of selling my cards. Has anyone done this and had success?
Gourmet Play Food Etsy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 05:39 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Bump
Gourmet Play Food Etsy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 07:05 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I do. I sell them for $2.oo a piece. I have been sucessful. I take orders as well. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 07:38 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I decided to sell them for $3 unless they are really simple, then I will sell them for less. If it is a fancy card, do you think $3 is reasonable? I compared prices to other nice cards in stores.
Gourmet Play Food Etsy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2006, 06:54 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Shoot! People spend around $5 a card (US) in the store, so I don't know why they wouldn't be willing to spend that much or more for a handmade card. But you know, everytime I've asked, they say they would never spend that much on a card. I think people just don't realize how much cards are costing these days in the store. They just buy it with their groceries and other stuff and forget about the cost, whereas, if they're buying cards from you - it's more obvious how much they're spending.
Okay - off my soap box now. :rolleyes:
I think $2-3 is a great price. I would charge more for invitations or more fancy stuff (like if there are a lot of embellishments).

Don't know if that really helps you,
Christine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2006, 07:06 AM   #6  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've sold some of mine to people at work. I sell them for $2.00 w/ a matching envelope. They are all amazed by them....little do they know how easy it is. I think $2.00 is reasonable, and it helps pay for the addicition. I'm going to make cards anyway I might as well have some way to get rid of them and be able to pay for more paper at least. I take orders too.

My Blog: Did You Stamp Today? | Fab Friday Challenge Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2006, 07:17 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

I sell mine to friends and coworkers for $3 each. I've had a couple of coworkers pay more, and refuse to pay me less than $5, because they said the handmade ones are worth more to them. If only everyone were that appreciate of our craft. ;)

To answer your question. I've had success selling (well, what I think of as success, which is regular costumers), especially at work. With my coworkers, most of my business comes from people who like the convience of not having to go to hallmark or anywhere. To just have the cards there, or be able to say to me, "I need a this kind of card on such and such day" and just have it ready. People like convience and having things just be ready for them when they need it.

GOOD LUCK.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2006, 01:56 PM   #8  
Splitcoast DirtyDozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on what you call "success." Could I make a living at it? No. Do people make nice comments on them? Yes. I think that would be my definition of "success." I sell cards to friends and co-workers, usually asking $3.00 each. Some people have given me more than $3.00, even if that is what I have asked.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2006, 02:03 PM   #9  
The Digi-Freak

I sell them for $3 each.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2006, 02:30 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by shayks
I decided to sell them for $3 unless they are really simple, then I will sell them for less. If it is a fancy card, do you think $3 is reasonable? I compared prices to other nice cards in stores.

WOO HOO!!! I saw you were charging $3.00. I just recieved an order for a new customer and quoted your $3.00 per card price. She agreed and placed a 100 card order!!!!! YAHOO!!! More money for the new catty!!!!
( I was going to say $2.00 if she thought $3.00 was too much as that's what I had been charging.) ;0
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2006, 02:36 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

I sell mine to DH coworkers and its $3 each or 2 for $5. I'm only trying to make enough to support my habit.

Now, can I add on a question to your post. Maybe it will be helpful to you as well.
Does anyone have some ideas on what to charge for for a 8 count notecard set? I used 1 sheet wonder technique, but used printed papers and Bazzill cardstock for texture. Each card has 1-3 layers and some have ribbon or brads. Any suggestions? I was thinking $1.50 each comes out $12.

Last edited by mnhyrkas; 05-12-2006 at 02:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2006, 06:35 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

I think $12.00 -$15.00 is totally fair. good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2006, 12:52 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I wasn't on her for a few days. Thanks for your comments. I was thinking of selling at a booth at Christmas time. I was also thinking of taking orders. I don't expect it to support me, but it will help pay for more stamps and supplies. Also, if you have a business, you can write off your supplies on your taxes, as long as it's not just a hobby. So, I will strive for that.
Gourmet Play Food Etsy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2006, 09:41 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clownmom
Depends on what you call "success." Could I make a living at it? No. Do people make nice comments on them? Yes. I think that would be my definition of "success." I sell cards to friends and co-workers, usually asking $3.00 each. Some people have given me more than $3.00, even if that is what I have asked.
I agree with this totally!! I have had success in selling cards by doing 2 flea market/craft sales per year. At this type of event I price my cards $2-$5 each or $10-$15 per set of four cards in an organza bag or just tied together with ribbon. These cards are usually 2 layers of card stock and 1 embellishment NVR. Last year I did 3 exclusive craft shows where the people were looking for quality as opposed to a "good" deal. I used SU cardstock & envies only -more detailed work with 1-2 embellishments-I had no problem selling sets of 4 cards in an organza bag for $20.00. I had a few individual cards but sold more sets-I think people were gift shopping more so than shopping for themselves. I did have some sets tied with ribbon and less detail & 1 embellishment for a price range of $10-$15. From this type of exposure I do get special orders from time to time. Just remember to stamp the back of the cards you sell with a stamp that takes care of the angel policy. I also should add that I give card sets as gifts to lots of people, probably just as much as I sell, but usually that person comes back & orders a set of cards.
It's not enough money to make a living at but at the $400 ball park income it sure helps complete my SU wish list for the year. LOL!! Have fun and enjoy the craft of it! It will keep you motivated!!!
Reply With Quote Likes