Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-13-2005, 05:47 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking answers and info on becoming a DEMO

Could anyone share the basic info on what is involved in becoming a DEMO? What my financial commitment would be, what does it cost to start? What my ongoing financial obligation is, how much am I required to earn to remain an active DEMO? Are there other requirements, rules, regs, etc...?

Thanks!!

Also, food for thought, as a new DEMO am I obligated to sign up under my current DEMO? :? My current DEMO lives very far from me and this has proven to be a challenge - she became my DEMO because she is a friend of a friend. Recently I've met/communicated with 4 or 5 people (some DEMOs, some just enthusiastic stampers) that live in my area to attend camps and/or join clubs because my DEMO and I aren't able to get together.

I'm thinking one of those women <who are local to me> might be a better upline for me since we would be able to coordinate - but I certainly don't want to alienate my current DEMO. Dilemna, help!?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2005, 05:58 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I would definitely sit down with someone in your area and ask her all of these questions, and also ask for a copy of the demo agreement so that you can read it over before making a decision. I could answer all of these questions for you, but if you have a one on one with a potential upline about this stuff, perhaps you'll be more aware of the support she will be able to offer you.

You are not obligated to sign up with anyone in particular! The kit is $199. All of the contents are shown on the inside cover of the current catalog.

Good Luck!

**edited for spelling
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2005, 06:03 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

That was helpful and thanks for the advice. I am meeting someone new this Friday (someone I met here on-line who lives in my area and holds a stamp club). I'll seek her advice.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2005, 06:07 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Default Becoming a Demo

The start up kit is $199 plus shipping and tax. Depending on when you sign up, there are extra stamp set benefits. Your financial obligation is only $300 a quarter (3 months) to keep you as an active Demo. If you do one to two workshops a quarter you should have it made. At first I thought it was a big commitment but once I got started it was no problem. Plus I am my biggest customer! As for signing up with a Demo, that is your choice. I say sign up under someone you are going to get not only good business sense but also great inspiration from. It is better I think to have a Demo who is close by and you can talk to when ever or even stamp with occassionly. One of your stamping Demo ladies should have a brochure on getting started with Stampin' Up! that should answer a lot of your quesions. I can send you one (no obligation, I live in Oregon ) if you want to read it without asking them first, or letting one know you are interested. I hope this answers your questions. I have been a Demo now for 2 years but have stamped with Stampin' Up! stuff for 6. I love it and couldn't imagine not being a part of this awsome company.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2005, 06:19 AM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Something else to think about

I am not a SU demo but have another home business. While you can certainly sign under whomever you want to, if you consider your Demo friend (the one who lives far from you) a true friend then I personally think you should sign under her.
Normally in Most home businesses there is some sort of program by which you can get training from a local consultant /attend her meetings, etc...even if you are signed under someone who is remote from you. This happens all the time in the case of military people who transfer a lot and those who might move away from their upline at some point.
I have lost several recruits due to other consultants telling them they have to be close (geographically) to their upline. With the internet training with your own upline is only an email away!

Please consider how this may make your friend feel when she has been soinvolved in introducing SU! to you. Good luck with your decision.

Maisy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2005, 11:11 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Default demo

If you want to be a hobby demo, it doesn't really matter who you sign under. But if you want to start a business, it's very important! Unless you know the person or others in her downline, you're taking a chance. But I think it's important that they be close by to have the best chance for support. Also important that they be committed to your success and willing to help you ...do whatever it takes. She needs to be a person who shares information and ideas freely. Hope that helps :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2005, 12:44 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

I would sign-up with someone close to where you live - you will need their support and having them close by is very helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2005, 12:56 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

justjulier My upline is about 2 hrs away and it hasn't been a problem. I guess because it's only 2hrs. THe group I belong to meets once a month about an hr away, but there are others in my group that live close to me. It hasn't been a problem. I know we have a few demos that are FAR away and my up, up, upline is awesome about keeping them involved. She even sends them things and has them participate in swaps through the mail. If your reg. demo is willing to make the effort and help you, it'll be fine. I e-mail mu upline regularly. I've been a demo only since Aug and she has already helped me with my first recruit - all by e-mail! Good luck with your decision! I love being a demo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2005, 05:26 PM   #9  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I love having my upline close to me... I borrow stamps from her and can meet up with her for lunch and discuss things if I need to... she only lives about 15 minutes from me and it is great!! It is really up to you if you think you might like some close support or not.
Also remember the first quarter that you sign up is waived for the minimum sales requirement. You get the first 6 months to make your first $300 in sales.. of course I had an Open House to let everyone know I was now a demo and made that and more on my first order!!
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2005, 05:52 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Awesome idea on the Open House. I never thought of that!!

That's definitely a keeper. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2005, 05:58 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

my up line live 1 hour away. Her uup line lives in another state. I have to say she is the persoon that contacts me most frrquentlly....because she e-mails everyone in her downline. I think that it is importaant to find out what your uplinnes' communication style is. I like that even though I have only me my 'grandma' once she has provided me with many useful tips and motivation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2005, 06:14 PM   #12  
Glitter Guru

This is a great time to sign up to become a demonstrator with SU! If you have your paper work in before the 26th you will receive an additional stamp set of your choice and the unreleased Sincere Salutations.
As far as who to sign-up under I think you need to at least talk to your demonstrator to let her know so feelings aren't hurt if you decide to sign-up under someone else. If you want to attend upline meetings and camps I would consider who offers them and also who will help you through some of the rough times.....yes it may be difficult at first (or for what seems like an eternity) getting all your ideas together and then building a cliental. Ihave been a demo for 1.5 years and still working on getting everything organized. Good luck and whatever you choice is I hope you make the most of it!

Mindy
WPAFB, OH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2005, 08:55 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could someone please tell me what counts towards your $300 sales quota. Meaning, I'm assuming that supplies don't but what about pre-orders of the up and coming minis for example.

Are demos able to purchase the hostess sets?

Thanks from someone else who is pondering SU ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2005, 09:07 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I think you should sign up with someone who is close to you and would be able to offer you support. I know several demos who have uplines who live far away and it is sometimes difficult to communicate over a long distance. However, you should also let your friend know why you are signing up with someone close at hand. I think she would understand and would be happy that you are becoming a demo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2005, 09:22 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

jodi to answer your questions

Most things you order aside from business supplies count towards your sales. For instance when we preorder all this great stuff from mini catalogs, that preorder counts as towards our sales. On occassion you can preorder items that won't count towards your sales ( I think the SAB sets were this way, but probably because they aren't a for sale item to begin with) but more often than not it counts.

We aren't able to purchase hostess sets, we have to earn them just like anyone else. However in march-may they usually do a promomtion wiht very attainable goals for all demos to earn hostess sets from the new catalog.
I love being a demo and thought I would just start out buying my own stuf and holdinga show here or there. I did that for a year and never had a problem meeting sales goals. I had two friends that ordered when I did and we chared alot of the hostess items. Now however I have got a little business started and just signed up # 5 in my downline, one is in my second line (my first grand-downline!). It is truely something I enjoy in life and it keeps getting better Who wouldn't want a job they love while they earn free stamp sets as wellas getting paid!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2005, 09:52 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Just some info on start up cost...

I just signed up in January! Depending on what you plan to do (workshops, etc. or just for "hobby"), you'll probably want to invest in some materials beyond your starter kit -- especially cardstock and inkpads. I've only been to parties that were "totally hands on" -- as in the demo shows three projects, and you get to make all of them. So I've planned to do the same. It's certainly possible to do your first party with the materials in the kit, as long as its a smallish group -- 8-10 people.

You'll have to also decide what sorts of "buisness" stuff you want -- business cards, labels, etc. Just keep in mind that if you want to SU! logo on that stuff, you have to order it from an approved SU! vendor. That info will be on the Demo website if you decide to join...

That said...I invested about $300 beyond the starter kit (cardstock, ink pads, extra catalogs, and business cards). I already had most of the ink pads.

Of course, one of the beautiful things about SU! is that you can decide how much you want to do with it! Anywhere from a hobbyist (you'd be your best/only customer) to a workshop or open house every now and then, to several parties/workshops a month.

Oh -- an if you're planning to sell (for profit, rather than just buy stuff yourself) --- you'll want to be sure you have your files in order for taxes right away. You're upline would be able to help you with that (no matter where she lives).

Good luck!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2005, 10:13 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the kit contents set in stone? Meaning can I change any of the items to something else?

What type of support do you get from SU? newletters etc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2005, 11:40 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

No -- contents are not set in stone. You can choose different stamp sets (equal or lesser value), different color cardstock, different wheel, different ink pads, etc.

SU! has a website with tons of info. All orders can be placed on-line. There is a monthly magazine with info on promos, project ideas, etc. Also phone support during their regular business hours.
Reply With Quote Likes