Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-23-2008, 07:05 AM   #41
Forum Fanatic

Well, it's been a few months now and I still MISS RS. CNT has gotten better, but I miss the articles, the letters to the editor, the stamp rooms, and not to harm any feelings of those who have been published, but I feel that some of the cards are not reflective of the new styles and trends. I used to have so many projects I would make from RS but it is rare that I mark anything to make in CNT and it still bugs me that the most of the magazine has things that are outside my interest. My subscription is not going to be renewed.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:13 AM   #42
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikiMView Post
With CNT you can do it via email and not have to send in the actual project. They will let you know what they want, and then you mail it in. Makes it easier and saes on postage too.
Just in case anyone thinks this might have an adverse affect on your chances - I just recently got a (non card) project accepted by Crafts n Things that I submitted by e-mail. Julie commented on the fact the RS staff were courteous and considerate - I'd have to say that's been my experience with Crafts n Things so far too.

I really like the idea that the magazine is about much more than cards, there are so many things you can do with rubber stamps that don't involve card making that it's great for those projects to have a home. It would seem a shame for rubber stamped items that are not cards to go unpublished because the other mags seem to be pretty much focused exclusively on cards or gift packaging type stuff.

It's fun to see what everyone thinks of the various magazines out there!

My blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-23-2008, 07:55 AM   #43
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

That's good to know. Although I did this w/ RS, also.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikiMView Post
With CNT you can do it via email and not have to send in the actual project. They will let you know what they want, and then you mail it in. Makes it easier and saes on postage too.
Facebook|Pinterest|Instagram
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni,Featured StamperHostess & Inspiration Challenge Hostess
I design for:
DRS Designs
Rubbernecker Stamps
Old 09-23-2008, 08:20 AM   #44
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I think its great people can share the opinions.
Everyone is different, and enjoys different things.

Well I want to agree with ALL of the "defenders". I love CNT mag! Again NOT because I have been featured in it numerous times (I submit there because I love the magazine) but because it does have MANY other ideas that I can incorporate into my stamping. I personally love making many paper crafted gifts, not just cards. So, having a variety of crafts in there sparks more ideas for me

I do love some primary papercrafting/stamp magazines too such as Paper Crafts, CARDS and Stamp It as well.

I honestly never liked the RS. I thought it was too collagey (? is that a word?! LOL!) and the photos were not of good quality. I wasn't surprised when it went belly up. That is just my opinion. I was happy that CNT took it over.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:26 AM   #45
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
Well, it's been a few months now and I still MISS RS. CNT has gotten better, but I miss the articles, the letters to the editor, the stamp rooms, and not to harm any feelings of those who have been published, but I feel that some of the cards are not reflective of the new styles and trends. I used to have so many projects I would make from RS but it is rare that I mark anything to make in CNT and it still bugs me that the most of the magazine has things that are outside my interest. My subscription is not going to be renewed.

In reply to your comment: "I feel that some of the cards are not reflective of the new styles and trends"

I will say it can be hard because I have had things accepted up to a year in advance. Some things are no longer available, and what was HOT then, may not be so much so now. My personal stye has changed so much since then. I'd like to think I've gotten "better" at it too! LOL! So that is the worst part! So I do get what you mean that some of the projects may not be as "current". I

ts got to be hard to have the time to plan ahead, get in projects and still be on the HOT trend when you publish even a few months after the project is accepted. I wouldn't want to be in charge of that!
Old 09-23-2008, 10:10 AM   #46
Die Cut Diva

I don't care for Crafts and Things. I was a long time subscriber to Rubber Stamper and had paid my sub ahead. After the first issue of Crafts and Things I decided to cancel. Thought maybe I'd see a partial refund for my sub monies....never happened.

I mostly buy Paper Crafts and the Take Ten.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:21 AM   #47
Polyshrink Goddess

I also was saddened by the end of Rubber Stamper as we knew it. The new mag is fine, but I'm not interested in anything but card making. I don't do any other crafts so my issues have gone to my daughter. So many of the other magazines feature cards without using stamping & I'm not so interested in those. The only ones I purchase anymore are Rubber Stamper Madness, Take Ten and Just Cards. I love the cards in the last two & I love the articles, etc. in RSM.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:25 PM   #48
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by mytimeView Post
In reply to your comment: "I feel that some of the cards are not reflective of the new styles and trends"

I will say it can be hard because I have had things accepted up to a year in advance. Some things are no longer available, and what was HOT then, may not be so much so now. My personal stye has changed so much since then. I'd like to think I've gotten "better" at it too! LOL! So that is the worst part! So I do get what you mean that some of the projects may not be as "current". I

ts got to be hard to have the time to plan ahead, get in projects and still be on the HOT trend when you publish even a few months after the project is accepted. I wouldn't want to be in charge of that!

Same here!!! One part of me thinks it would be the coolest job in the world. But the other 99% of me thinks it would be one of the hardest. Especially now in this digital age. When readers have instant access online and fads come and go.

I know as a person who submits, I am mindful of what will most likely be availble and I try diligently to use only materials I think will still be around or something similar will be able to be found. It is not always easy especially when it is fall and I am finishing up Spring and starting on Summer. I never know if I am working 3 months behind or 9 months ahead?
Old 09-26-2008, 07:16 AM   #49
Rubber Obsessor

Default Haven't Bought Crafts N' Things

...for some time. I have restricted purchasing of stamping magazines and other magazines for the occasional splurge on Take Ten or Stamper's Sampler. (Sorry to hear that Stampington does not handle submissions very well ) I may pick up CNT again if/when I have some extra money that I don't want to spend on stamps or supplies.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:26 AM   #50
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Red face Mini-tangent/Mini-jack/Sidebar . . . .

I do wonder tho . . . bear with me . . . these are just my inner musings being voiced out loud . . .

With the abundance of artwork, ideas, tutorials, step by step instructions, etc. currently being output quite freely on the web, it makes sense to me that magazines are having to compete more and more.

The web is immediate, but print media, like periodicals, can take 6 months to a year; that's how far in advance they must work.

Now, I am a great lover of print media--there is something about having a great magazine in my totebag on a plane, while waiting to pick up my kid, or in bed to hold and enjoy, with lots to ogle and read about--it's more convenient and comfortable than draggin' the laptop everywhere with me, of course.

But, I've read numerous times where people say, "Why buy a magazine to see that artist's work, when I can just visit their blog and see what they're posting there for free?" In other words, and to be frank, there is little "incentive", so to speak, to purchase a magazine and support it and the artists featured within it, when so many artists already put so much out there, so freely . . .

How many times have we heard (a phrase, BTW, that I personally loathe):

"Why buy the cow, when you can get the milk for free?"

Ouch!

Hmmmmmmmm. Well, when you think about it like that, point taken!

So, are artists themselves contributing to the demise of this particular department of print media and, in turn, diminishing the few remaining opportunities for compensation of their artwork?

I cannot help but wonder as I have watched the industry over the last 14 years . . .
Old 09-26-2008, 08:36 AM   #51
Swapper of the Month November 2012

Quote:

Originally Posted by basurokView Post
I don't care for Crafts and Things. I was a long time subscriber to Rubber Stamper and had paid my sub ahead. After the first issue of Crafts and Things I decided to cancel. Thought maybe I'd see a partial refund for my sub monies....never happened.

I mostly buy Paper Crafts and the Take Ten.
They refunded me when I cancelled. I think I even did it via an email.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:02 AM   #52
Hardware Hotshot

Before I "discovered" SCS the magazines were very important to me and I bought ALL of them. Now that I spend as much time as I do on SCS I can honestly say that unless a coupon is burning a hole in my pocket, I just don't get many magazines. They just don't compare with the great cards I can see here.

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:29 AM   #53
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
I do wonder tho . . . bear with me . . . these are just my inner musings being voiced out loud . . .

With the abundance of artwork, ideas, tutorials, step by step instructions, etc. currently being output quite freely on the web, it makes sense to me that magazines are having to compete more and more.

The web is immediate, but print media, like periodicals, can take 6 months to a year; that's how far in advance they must work.

Now, I am a great lover of print media--there is something about having a great magazine in my totebag on a plane, while waiting to pick up my kid, or in bed to hold and enjoy, with lots to ogle and read about--it's more convenient and comfortable than draggin' the laptop everywhere with me, of course.

But, I've read numerous times where people say, "Why buy a magazine to see that artist's work, when I can just visit their blog and see what they're posting there for free?" In other words, and to be frank, there is little "incentive", so to speak, to purchase a magazine and support it and the artists featured within it, when so many artists already put so much out there, so freely . . .

How many times have we heard (a phrase, BTW, that I personally loathe):

"Why buy the cow, when you can get the milk for free?"

Ouch!

Hmmmmmmmm. Well, when you think about it like that, point taken!

So, are artists themselves contributing to the demise of this particular department of print media and, in turn, diminishing the few remaining opportunities for compensation of their artwork?

I cannot help but wonder as I have watched the industry over the last 14 years . . .

You bring out a very good point Julie! That is why I save my BESTEST ideas for publication....I am pleased when I flip though a magazine and see awesome art that I haven't seen on a blog! Yes, I like to hold and cuddle and carry my magazines too!LOL!
Old 09-26-2008, 10:47 AM   #54
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by BC SherrieView Post
You bring out a very good point Julie! That is why I save my BESTEST ideas for publication....I am pleased when I flip though a magazine and see awesome art that I haven't seen on a blog! Yes, I like to hold and cuddle and carry my magazines too!LOL!
That's cool. I, too, try to save my best work for publication, as I'd rather buy a print pub that features never seen before (on the web) works, personally and generally speaking.

But, as yet another trade print mag bites the dust, I fear it will not be the last . . . it will be interesting to see, over the next few years, which of the remaining will still be in existence . . .
Old 09-26-2008, 10:51 AM   #55
Stazon Splitcoast

I would be MUCH more likely to buy magazines IF the publications included dimensions of all the items.

Lots of publications post beautiful things and include credits, but I am not looking to copy something. I am looking for good layout ideas and having dimensions of each item printed right on the same page as an item would be sooo nice.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:58 PM   #56
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
I would be MUCH more likely to buy magazines IF the publications included dimensions of all the items.

Lots of publications post beautiful things and include credits, but I am not looking to copy something. I am looking for good layout ideas and having dimensions of each item printed right on the same page as an item would be sooo nice.
I think that Take Ten and other Stampington publications print the dimensions of the cards with the "recipes."

To add a little to my post above, I do sometimes splurge on cloth paper scissors because I have become interested in trying mixed media projects. Haven't actually done any yet , but there are some interesting projects and techniques in that magazine that I haven't seen elsewhere.