Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-15-2014, 10:27 AM   #41
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily55 View Post
You've inspired me to do sets for Xmas gifts this year! Anybody know of safe sites for buying fonts? Also a tutorial on computer printing for cards? TIA
Here is a link to dafont.com. It's a great site, and many of the fonts are free to download. You can preview them before you download, too:

dafont.com

Check out: Frosting for Breakfast, Boingo, and Black Boys on Mopeds. I use them a lot.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
tigerlily55 likes this post.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:31 AM   #42
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmspengler View Post
In years past, I have noticed that after attending bridal and baby showers for many of the "younger generation", there is often no thank you sent out for gifts received. So, I have made it my mission to try and correct that. All shower gifts from me now include a package of thank you notes (anywhere from 20-40, it seems). I have found that since I have been doing this, the thank yous have always been sent.
It also gives me a chance to "practice" some cards that I had intended to make, but hadn't tried yet. The pack is always a mixed bag, never just the same pattern repeated.
On the down side, I have had brides send me back a "store bought" thank you because they had sent all of the "nice ones" to their families and friends...hehe.
Also, I have gotten a few "sales" from people who received one of my thank you notes.
Win ,win, I say.
That's a wonderful idea for shower gifts. I get the same response from folks who I've given card sets to. One friend says she only sends the handmade cards to special people who she considers "cardworthy."

sewsew likes this post.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:49 AM   #43
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chihuahua-mom View Post
I give card every year as gifts, I usually get "hints" from each person on what kins of cards they want lol. I make 6 to 12 cards with a matching gift tag for each card and some chocolates and package them different each year, I always make the packaging part of the gift a nice decorated reusable container of some sort.
I do too, But I make different color sets for each person - knowing the colors they like.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:56 AM   #44
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
Here is a link to dafont.com. It's a great site, and many of the fonts are free to download. You can preview them before you download, too:

dafont.com

Check out: Frosting for Breakfast, Boingo, and Black Boys on Mopeds. I use them a lot.
Those fonts are great. I actually have an alphabet set similar to boingo that I was going to get rid of. Now maybe I won't.

buggainok likes this post.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:58 AM   #45
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buried Treasures View Post
I usually download fonts from dafont.com. I don't know what you're looking for on a tutorial, but you could print the sentiment, cut it out or die cut it, and attach it to the card.

Or, in Word, you can noodle with the placement that you want on scrap paper and then insert the cardstock into the printer before you do any other stamping or embellishing.
Thanks. I went there and have already downloaded Snoopy Pics! Yes I guess I will have to play around.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:14 PM   #46
Cardstock Collector

Cheap! Someone thinks handmade (not homemade) cards are cheap! obviously not someone who has ever invested in art or craft supplies. I remember a friend's husband saying to my husband, that we must save a lot of money, because I make all our cards and even wrapping paper. My sweet guy almost choked on his drink, he laughed so hard he had tears in his eyes. Custom made cards, are a joy to give, are lovely to receive, but never done to save money. Come on gals, have you ever tried to figure what that card costs in materials alone? I don't include my time in the estimate because it is such a pleasure to make them. Go on Etsy and see what people are paying for the handmade cards there. What we make are heartfelt works of art, that mot people are delighted to receive. Once in a while someone either makes, or buys, a handmade card for me; I am always pleased and touched.
Carole
JoannaLees, sprtchick, buggainok and 4 others like this post.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:21 PM   #47
Compulsive Stamper

In my opinion everyone loves it when they receive a home made card. I remember one sweet memory from my childhood. It was my birthday and everybody gave me lots of expensive gifts and cards but I loved one out of all the gifts. It was a small card with y photo on its front. My brother made it for me . He was 7 years old at that time. That was my 1st handmade card gift and after that i just love handmade gifts as they are filled with love and blessings.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:02 AM   #48
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
Well, Boo to your sis. She is the loser for not sending your lovely cards. I just strolled through your gallery and your cards are beautiful.

I do understand that some people have the mind set that "homemade" is cheap. I do not feel that way at all. I think that "handmade" is special and much more appealing than something mass produced by a machine.

If you go to some of the fancy boutiques, you will see that they charge a bundle for anything that is "handmade."

Thank you Buggainok, you made me feel better. I did surprise her this year with a store bought birthday card.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:31 AM   #49
Proud Fan Club Member

Handmade...Homemade...... all the same to me...and all the most desireable.

Even if a person was saving money by trading elbow grease for $$....they didnt have to do it. So many people today just say "skip it" re presents or even cards...I guess a factor of getting older/economy issues. So if someone goes through the trouble I really appreciate it.

My mom, my aunt, etc all used to knit/crochet baby blankets, etc. There was nothing cheap about it...they fussed over colors, types of wool, which stitches to do and spent a couple months at it. Sound familiar? We fuss over DP, dies, layouts...it's fun too, but we are putting in effort. And as someone said...our labor hours alone...please.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:03 AM   #50
Insane Embellisher

Talk about people not appreciating the work that goes into crafting! One of my closest friends is a quilter. At her (grown) daughter's request, she purchased the fabric, made the top and had a king-size quilt quilted. We're talking several hundred dollars here not to mention the hours and hours of work.

It didn't take a week before her dogs laid all over it and chewed it to shreds. Broke my heart.

So if anyone thinks that you are being cheap by giving them handmade cards, go to the dollar store and buy cards there for that person. Or, better still, post a greeting on their Facebook page. They don't even deserve a text message.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:40 AM   #51
Cardstock Collector

I would feel honored to receive your handmade cards, because I know my friends would really appreciate receiving them.
buggainok, Skippet and stamps4funGin like this post.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:37 PM   #52
Proud Fan Club Member

OMG Debbie! That's HORRIBLE about the quilt! I'd never make her anything ever again!!!

"So if anyone thinks that you are being cheap by giving them handmade cards, go to the dollar store and buy cards there for that person. Or, better still, post a greeting on their Facebook page. They don't even deserve a text message"

!!!
sprtchick, buggainok, RiverIsis and 1 others like this post.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:36 PM   #53
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Talk about people not appreciating the work that goes into crafting! One of my closest friends is a quilter. At her (grown) daughter's request, she purchased the fabric, made the top and had a king-size quilt quilted. We're talking several hundred dollars here not to mention the hours and hours of work.

It didn't take a week before her dogs laid all over it and chewed it to shreds. Broke my heart.

So if anyone thinks that you are being cheap by giving them handmade cards, go to the dollar store and buy cards there for that person. Or, better still, post a greeting on their Facebook page. They don't even deserve a text message.
That breaks my heart. I received a quilt for my 40th B-day present a couple of years ago. It is so stunning. Every time I cuddle up with it I can't stop looking at the different quilting patterns. It is the most beautiful gift I ever received. My dog lays on the quilt too. I will ask her what her favorite panels are. She puts her paws on them. It's so cute and a memory I will always treasure. Quilters make stories and to abuse a quilt in my eyes is akin to burning a book. I know all of us crafters make beautiful art no matter what techniques we use. Quilts and needlework are so precious to me I get overprotective of them.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Old 10-17-2014, 07:26 AM   #54
Kookie Creator

My cousin's daughter was married last summer, and I offered, as part of my gift to her, to create Thank You note cards in her colors. After a few samples, she went with a simple style, and 60 cards/envelopes were boxed and wrapped for the bridal shower. She sent one back to me with a touching comment. At her wedding, a few women approached me with thoughts about receiving a handwritten note, and how that is decreasing.
The next daughter is getting married next summer, and my offer will be the same. I enjoy creating the cards, and it's a labor of love for my cousin. Her children and I always "did crafts" together as they were growing up, and I hope this continues with their future families. Adults need to remind their grown children, and teach the younger ones, that a written note is the final stage in receiving a present. I treasure the kids' creations and keep them. Diane
JoannaLees, buggainok, Jana Z and 4 others like this post.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:54 PM   #55
Pearl-ExPert

I often make packs of cards for gifts. Many don't but I like the production line way of making mulitples of cards since I'm not so great at designing cards but what I like most about paper craft is constructing stuff so I like making the boxes or other packaging ways.
Here's a couple I've done:

happy birthday card gift packs by Metalcharm - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Card sets by Metalcharm - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Old 10-24-2014, 09:04 AM   #56
Stampin' Fool

I think a pack of handmade cards would be a great present to receive.

Now some commentary: I am still amazed at how vastly different the opinions are on handmade cards. Any type of handmade, homemade item really...but specifically cards. That there is such a large community of artists and crafters alive and well and thriving around the world....and that there are still people who look at something homemade and turn up their noses, deeming it "cheap". Astounding.
Many crafts are experiencing a revival of sorts...knitting comes to mind as I see more magazine articles and blog posts about younger people ( 20's-30's) taking up the needles and yarn.
I get that not everyone WANTS to make things. And perhaps people that come from a very poor background, always getting hand-me-downs or whatever feel that spending money ( the more the better ) on something "new" is a sign of success, or personal "worth" in the world. I do not criticize anyone for their viewpoint, especially if they have fought through some trying times growing up.....but at least stop and appreciate the EFFORT and TALENT it takes to make something from scratch! If you choose to always "buy new"...that is your choice and I always appreciate any gift given to me regardless of new or handmade. With so many people crafting these days...so much so that there have been specific online marketplaces created to sell these works of art....it seems so shortsighted, not to mention a little RUDE...to hold to the opinion that handmade is "cheap". Most often, after buying all the supplies it is MORE expensive, not to mention the investment of TIME put in to creating a homemade gift. Really people.....open your eyes!
Rant over!
buggainok, lylacfey, tigerlily55 and 4 others like this post.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:42 AM   #57
Kookie Creator

I know for myself, when I make a gift I do as much as I can to have it appeal to the receivers tastes. Of course I do the same thing if I'm purchasing a gift, but it seems like I spend a lot more time selecting the actual item and all the elements for a home made gift.
mob
StamperDea likes this post.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:27 AM   #58
Die Cut Diva

Cobby- I loved your rant. I so wanted to write your rant. I was so scared to get flamed. Oh my gosh I am not in a good emotional spot in my life right now to get flamed. I just lost somebody I loved and been sick. I said to myself "Girl, don't go there even though your growling!"

I grew up "moneyed" but after my Father died I was raised Po. Really super poor. The person that raised me after my Father died went through his money and my inheritance like candy until we were on food stamps. I am not ashamed. It was not my fault. I have been on both sides of the coin. Living in grand houses and roach infested apartments.

When I read handmade is cheap. It makes me growl. I do understand about being poor, hand me downs, nice things equates money, blah, blah. How I grew up handmade is a sign of class, high couture & quality art pieces.

My big pet peeve here at SCS is when I read the heartbreaking stories of how a beautiful handmade gift was looked down upon by somebody with "money". Those fake snobs might have money but they do not have class.

To all the lovely talented ladies here who are making cards this holiday season if your cards are snubbed keep in your heart are not "cheap" but the recipients outlook on life is. I know it is a harsh statement. There are people out there who do appreciate work that is made by hand. They appreciate the time, talent and the details of the work. They treasure the work immensely.

I know I will get the evil eye for this. My snobbery is going to come out. Honestly, I feel like that factory made is cheap to me. If I am going to spend a lot of money on an item I want it handmade. I want quality over quantity. I want something that will last a lifetime. I want something I can look at it and admire. I want to look at a handmade card and see all those beautiful tiny details.

My rant is over too. It just breaks my heart when I read handmade is cheap. When I see handmade I gasp and have to study all the details. I feel like I was given a gift to see something so beautiful. I don't feel like I was given a gift when I shop at WalMart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobby View Post
Now some commentary: I am still amazed at how vastly different the opinions are on handmade cards. Any type of handmade, homemade item really...but specifically cards. That there is such a large community of artists and crafters alive and well and thriving around the world....and that there are still people who look at something homemade and turn up their noses, deeming it "cheap". Astounding.
Many crafts are experiencing a revival of sorts...knitting comes to mind as I see more magazine articles and blog posts about younger people ( 20's-30's) taking up the needles and yarn.
I get that not everyone WANTS to make things. And perhaps people that come from a very poor background, always getting hand-me-downs or whatever feel that spending money ( the more the better ) on something "new" is a sign of success, or personal "worth" in the world. I do not criticize anyone for their viewpoint, especially if they have fought through some trying times growing up.....but at least stop and appreciate the EFFORT and TALENT it takes to make something from scratch! If you choose to always "buy new"...that is your choice and I always appreciate any gift given to me regardless of new or handmade. With so many people crafting these days...so much so that there have been specific online marketplaces created to sell these works of art....it seems so shortsighted, not to mention a little RUDE...to hold to the opinion that handmade is "cheap". Most often, after buying all the supplies it is MORE expensive, not to mention the investment of TIME put in to creating a homemade gift. Really people.....open your eyes!
Rant over!

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
cobby, buggainok, RiverIsis and 4 others like this post.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:21 AM   #59
Insane Embellisher

DeeAnn, you have nothing to apologize about. You and Mary are on the money. If you give someone a gift and they are rude enough to make a snide comment, that just shows the kind of person THEY are. Their opinion of you does not matter and they are undeserving of your time and creativity.

Even if you give someone a gift and they don't like it, a gracious person will at least say thank you!
cobby, RiverIsis, sewsew and 3 others like this post.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:06 AM   #60
Stampin' Fool

DeeAnn and Debbie.....right on!! Thinking handmade is "cheap" and being rude about it does reflect more on the person who holds that opinion than it does on the maker of the gift.
Excellent point!!
mungojerry and lesleybd like this post.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:34 AM   #61
Swapper of the Month February 2013

Handmade or Homemade - it doesn't matter - someone took the TIME to make something...not just go to the store and grab a quickie gift or even order something online...not saying that is a bad thing...just saying that when something is made personally for another - that says something to me.

One of the nicest gifts I got at a bridal shower was a set of handmade thank you cards from my Aunt. Now she is truly an artist! They were so pretty and honestly - I even hated to use them they were so pretty! But I did use them....only sent them to those who gave us an extra special gift...everyone else got the store bought thank you's...LOL!!!

I think the idea of cards and/or tags to give as gifts is WONDERFUL!!!!
Old 10-28-2014, 12:20 PM   #62
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I also think giving cards as a gift is a wonderful idea.

I have done so many times in the past but often wondered how much the recipients really liked them. I didn't get much more than a thank you from most and thought they didn't enjoy them a much as I had hoped. So last year Christmas I didn't make any.

Just in the last two weeks three people have asked if I would be making cards again this year because they really missed receiving them last year. And apparently several of their friends also missed receiving the homemade cards

So, I am making several gift sets again this year.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:38 AM   #63
Polyshrink Goddess

Just checking in on my progress, my goal was 30 cards. I have 12 to go. Hint: Taking card making to a scrap is not productive. I only got 2 cards made.

Since the cards I am making are interactive cards they are a bit bulky, I have not embellished them other than a few pop dots. I took a few to the Post Office to see if they would mail ok. Some were square and she said they were ok BUT the bulk caused the need for an additional 21 cent stamp.
Do I add stamps to the envelope or tell them to hand deliver the cards (or mention the price of the stamps needed to mail it)?

I love these posts! Y'all have all made me feel much better about giving these cards as gifts.
LouisvilleCards, sewsew, edie453 and 1 others like this post.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:20 AM   #64
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgirl View Post
Just checking in on my progress, my goal was 30 cards. I have 12 to go. Hint: Taking card making to a scrap is not productive. I only got 2 cards made.

Since the cards I am making are interactive cards they are a bit bulky, I have not embellished them other than a few pop dots. I took a few to the Post Office to see if they would mail ok. Some were square and she said they were ok BUT the bulk caused the need for an additional 21 cent stamp.
Do I add stamps to the envelope or tell them to hand deliver the cards (or mention the price of the stamps needed to mail it)?

I love these posts! Y'all have all made me feel much better about giving these cards as gifts.
I love interactive cards, and also embellished cards. However, when I make cards to give as a gift, I try very hard to be sure they can be mailed without having to add extra postage. I feel like it would be a burden to the recipient to have to add the extra, or make a trip to the post office, if they already had regular stamps.

Someone earlier in this thread said they give sets of cards with the postage already on the envelopes. Maybe that would be an option for you, if the cards you are gifting require the extra stamps.

wavejumper and southgirl like this post.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:56 PM   #65
Insane Embellisher

I had a small stamp custom made that says "Extra Postage Required" to be stamped where the stamp would normally go. It's about 1/2" by 1/2" and not expensive at all. I searched all over for such a stamp. I think SU makes one, but I didn't need the whole set.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:01 AM   #66
Mad Swapper

Quote:
I had a small stamp custom made that says "Extra Postage Required" to be stamped where the stamp would normally go. It's about 1/2" by 1/2" and not expensive at all. I searched all over for such a stamp. I think SU makes one, but I didn't need the whole set.
Where did you have this stamp made? I'd love to have one, I usually stick a post-it note on the envelope to let the recipient know there is "extra postage required".

THANKS!!!
Sarah
Old 10-30-2014, 05:16 AM   #67
Insane Embellisher

I think it was Rubber Stamps | Custom Ink Stamps | Free Shipping at RubberStamps.com!. I ordered the mini Traditional Rubber Stamp, which happens to be on sale.

You get three lines.
Extra
Postage
Required

I centered the text.

Last edited by Buried Treasures; 10-30-2014 at 05:22 AM..
sprtchick likes this post.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:55 AM   #68
Glitter Guru

Lovely thread
Need to closely read the rest of this thread, I want to get my gift of cards done up today.
What do you write on the recipients card or gift tag
"the gift that keeps on giving"
sprtchick likes this post.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:23 PM   #69
Pearl-ExPert

Oops
Old 09-07-2015, 03:15 PM   #70
Die Cut Diva

One time, we had a Sale at Work! I thought I would bring some of my cards in to sell. I was amazed! They sold! Every one of them! I noticed the cards with a card sketch design where I used Spellbinders or framed central designs sold the fastest! I think a set of cards with the same general themes as Hallmark or Walgreens has will sell well! Birthday, Anniversary, Congrats, Get Well, Sympathy, Retirement, and be sure to include male themed cards too. A simple design, cute papers and nicely stamped, colored and placed would be a treasured set! Always fun to receive! Always a great gift!

Old 09-12-2015, 10:28 AM   #71
Inking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juble View Post
I sure wish I was your neighbor Wonderful and useful gift!!
ME TOO!!!!!
Old 09-12-2015, 12:48 PM   #72
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

you know what is funny though? ( I have given packs of cards to both my mom and my grandma over the years, and my mom tells me she cannot possibly "use" these cards because, I made them... )
we did a first layer cleaning of my gma's house last month. and on the nightstand on her side of the bed was a basket filled with cards I had made and gave to her to be able to send out with the postage stamps too. I ended up bringing them home with me rather than see my cousin's wife yard sale them.

on another note, people do not seem to have the same hang ups about tags.
so, I have started to do gift tag gifts packs the last few years.

My Blog
Old 09-12-2015, 09:18 PM   #73
Glitter Guru

Well I found this poem if ever you plan to keep giving

Too Nice to Use

I know these cards are pretty.
I made them all myself.
But cards are meant for sending,
Not sitting on a shelf.
So choose some friends to mail them to
And send them out the door.
'Cause if you keep them to yourself
You won't be getting any more!!!

Poem by Janine Tinklenberg
sprtchick, JBgreendawn, buggainok and 1 others like this post.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:05 AM   #74
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doris B View Post
Well I found this poem if ever you plan to keep giving

Too Nice to Use

I know these cards are pretty.
I made them all myself.
But cards are meant for sending,
Not sitting on a shelf.
So choose some friends to mail them to
And send them out the door.
'Cause if you keep them to yourself
You won't be getting any more!!!

Poem by Janine Tinklenberg
Love this poem - thanks for posting it.