Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-08-2006, 04:56 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? Re Stampin Up and Ebay- The other side of the coin

I had a listing removed from ebay for alleged ( Stampin Up) copyright violations. I was selling cards not made with stampin up stamps or materials. The winning bidder would have received a free stampin up stamp but that stamp was not described or pictured.

My listing did not violate copyright but apparently Stampin Up can have listings removed without proof of an actual violation. ( ie just because they think it violates, not because it really does)

I am furious and plan to fight this all the way. Can someone point me in the direction of Stampin Up's published copyright policy or statement, particulary with regard to ebay. Thanks

Last edited by ink pad; 02-08-2006 at 05:09 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2006, 04:57 PM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

Location: Oil...Hot Pan...Gordon Ramsay sexiest man alive...Done.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What were you selling? Maybe we could help if we knew what the item was...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2006, 05:20 PM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

It talks about internet auction policies on their website.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2006, 05:23 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

are you sure it was SU that had it removed. Other members can complain and ebay will remove auctions based on the complaints of other members as well. Did you copy the wording or the picture from another listing. I did this once and didn't realize you couldn't do it. My listing was cancelled b/c of copyright violations as the person I had copied complained. (My item was selling for quite a bit higher than hers closed at - and I am sure that was a sore issue.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2006, 05:46 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

Here's some stuff I found on ebay about copyright & ebay's VeRO (Verified Rights Ownership) program:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidenc...-listings.html

Here's Stampin Up's VeRO page on ebay:
http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...id=stampinup(r)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2006, 07:16 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

So you were NOT using Stampin Up stamps, and you did NOT mention the Stampin Up stamp you would give to the high bidder in any way? Really doubt SU had anything to do with it being pulled then. What purpose would it serve?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2006, 02:43 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

By any chance, did you mention the free Stampin' Up! stamp in the title or the description of your listing? If so, they may have removed your listing for keyword spamming.

"Keyword spamming occurs when members place brand names or other inappropriate keywords in a title or description for the purpose of gaining attention or diverting members to a listing. Keyword spamming in listings is not permitted on eBay. The text sellers place in listings must be directly relevant to the item being sold."

With enough caffeine, I could rule the world!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2006, 09:43 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by shecooks
"Keyword spamming occurs when members place brand names or other inappropriate keywords in a title or description for the purpose of gaining attention or diverting members to a listing. Keyword spamming in listings is not permitted on eBay. The text sellers place in listings must be directly relevant to the item being sold."
So is this like those listings titled "not SU or like SU"?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2006, 09:49 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by shecooks
By any chance, did you mention the free Stampin' Up! stamp in the title or the description of your listing? If so, they may have removed your listing for keyword spamming.

I think every single stamp I have EVER looked at on ebay mentions su, whether it is or not...ebay doesn't do anything about keyword spamming...don't let them fool ya.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2006, 11:06 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Default happened to me...

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassyat30
I think every single stamp I have EVER looked at on ebay mentions su, whether it is or not...ebay doesn't do anything about keyword spamming...don't let them fool ya.
I had an auction cancelled once because I was selling a few "non SU" stamps and since I had seen SOOO many auctions listed with Stampin Up in the title I thought it was okay. I had no idea it was not okay but the email I got from ebay explained exactly why the auction had been pulled and why it was wrong to list this way. I am guessing this is not the original posters issue however because her email from ebay would have explained it? Just my 2 cents ;)
Isaiah 40:31
check this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2006, 02:32 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I think they enforce keyword spamming on and off. A long time ago, I had an auction cancelled for that reason, but then I still see auctions that word things the exact same way I had done it. To be honest, I think there are soooo many auctions up that it's really hard for them to enforce all of them. I think it goes more by when people complain to them about your auction. Of course, I don't work there, so I don't really know, but that's my hunch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2006, 03:12 PM   #12  
Cardstock Collector

Default more on my listing

I don�t think that removing the listing served anyone�s legitimate purposes. I reiterate- I did not show pictures of anything made by (or with) stampin up. I did , however, use �stampin up� in the title to indicate that the winner would receive a free �stampin up� stamp. If shecooks is correct, that may have been the trigger.

I was informed by ebay that the listing was removed as part of the VeRO program. However, I am peeved because apparently, whether or not you actually violate does not matter for that program- if you are �suspected� - they will remove your listing. That is like saying � I THINK they may be nudity in this movie so I will rate it XXX, even though I have not seen the movie�.

I don�t know if my listing was removed because stampin up or ebay were on patrol or because some vigilante reported it but it bugs me that ebay removes listings whether or not a violation actually occurs. I guess the reason this bugs me so much is because I am not a chronic ebay seller nor am I one of those habitual stampin up ebay offenders and I did try to follow the rules. It also took me a long time to write that listing. *sigh*

I am thoroughly disgusted with both ebay and stampin up. The link to Stampin Up�s ebay page is dead and I was unable to find any information about ebay selling on Stampin Up�s web page so I contacted both of them directly. Ebay responsed with a form letter that did nto address the isue. To stampin up�s credit, they�ve responded and are willing to review the listing so I may be able to get this resolved. (Of course I don�t have the listing any more since ebay deleted it, but that is besides the point. I do appreciate Stampin Up�s willingness to review the determination)

Again, Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2006, 03:33 PM   #13  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It's not just Stampin' Up! that doesn't let you use thier copyrighted names in Ebay auctions. I would be leary of selling anything copyrighted on Ebay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2006, 03:45 PM   #14  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

I am thoroughly disgusted with both ebay and stampin up...
To stampin up�s credit, they�ve responded and are willing to review the listing so I may be able to get this resolved. (Of course I don�t have the listing any more since ebay deleted it, but that is besides the point. I do appreciate Stampin Up�s willingness to review the determination)

It seems that eBay was the one who removed your listing-and you are not sure if it was at the request of SU or completely independent of SU altogether. So I guess I am confused as to why you are so upset with SU when it was on ebay that had the choice to remove your auction or not, especially if they seem to be open to listening to your side if they *did* happen to have a part in having it removed.
:confused:

Also (not to be snarky;) ) but I am sure that "giving away" an SU set as a bonus was a way to boost the price of the cards you were selling, not just a bonus for people who happen to love your cards and you were looking to get back some of your cost through teh sale of the set. So, you were using the SU name to increase your own profit. Especially since you did not make them with SU stamps/paper as you state. I am not saying it was wrong in any way to do, but I have also seen seller's getting around SU rules by stating that the item is a "giveaway" or "bonus" to the actual sale.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2006, 04:15 PM   #15  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by ink pad
I don�t think that removing the listing served anyone�s legitimate purposes. I reiterate- I did not show pictures of anything made by (or with) stampin up. I did , however, use �stampin up� in the title to indicate that the winner would receive a free �stampin up� stamp. If shecooks is correct, that may have been the trigger.

I was informed by ebay that the listing was removed as part of the VeRO program. However, I am peeved because apparently, whether or not you actually violate does not matter for that program- if you are �suspected� - they will remove your listing. That is like saying � I THINK they may be nudity in this movie so I will rate it XXX, even though I have not seen the movie�.

I don�t know if my listing was removed because stampin up or ebay were on patrol or because some vigilante reported it but it bugs me that ebay removes listings whether or not a violation actually occurs. I guess the reason this bugs me so much is because I am not a chronic ebay seller nor am I one of those habitual stampin up ebay offenders and I did try to follow the rules. It also took me a long time to write that listing. *sigh*

I am thoroughly disgusted with both ebay and stampin up. The link to Stampin Up�s ebay page is dead and I was unable to find any information about ebay selling on Stampin Up�s web page so I contacted both of them directly. Ebay responsed with a form letter that did nto address the isue. To stampin up�s credit, they�ve responded and are willing to review the listing so I may be able to get this resolved. (Of course I don�t have the listing any more since ebay deleted it, but that is besides the point. I do appreciate Stampin Up�s willingness to review the determination)

Again, Thanks for your input!

there are quite a few SU demo's that regularly report auctions to ebay and SU!. If you are a new lister or non-frequent lister, you may have got on their radar. As new sellers pop up, they do their best to get them closed down. I dont' have an opinion of it one way or the other - I just don't know how they find time to watch ebay so closely , I would rather be stamping. also other sellers - will attempt to get you shut down , just to kill the competition. It's a dog eat dog world out there away from SCS!

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2006, 04:23 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This is so odd. There are folks on ebay who are openly running HUGE SU stores. Clearly demos or someone working closely with a demo. Folks are overpaying for stamps, the SU name and pics are being used in violation of copyright, but these huge operations keep going and yet yours was pulled. Life's a mystery.

ps. SU has copyrighted the words Stampin Up! So, they have the legal right to prevent anyone from using those words -- including my post here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2006, 05:08 PM   #17  
Cardstock Collector

I was not giving away a stamp set. I was giving away one stamp. And, if I were giving away a stamp from hero arts or any other company or any other product, I would have also mentioned it by name. My attempt was not to subsititute the auction sale price of cards with the price of a stamp set, particularly since I was not offering a stamp set. Besides, how would that be accomplished by offering an entire, unknown set?

I was annoyed with stampin up because although ebay removed the listing, stampin up was a party to it. Obviously ebay is doing this sort of thing because stampin up is a prticipant in the VeRO program. My criticism of stampin up is that they have chosen parameters that are wide, rather than narrow, and as a result, are censoring those who dont actually violate their policy. Kepp in mind stampin up was only willing to review this AFTER I challenged it. As I noted,my criticism is also of ebay because they remove listings without proof.

I too am amzed that there are so many self-designated stampin up police out there. I am amazed that there are people on ebay and elsewhere who make it their jobs to ferret out offensive listings and report them to stampin up.

Last edited by ink pad; 02-09-2006 at 05:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2006, 05:20 PM   #18  
SCS Moderator

oops-I guess that was a visual "reading typo" on my part, LOL:p

Anyway, I guess I still don't get being upset at SU because they are "involved" in the VeRO program-I do not know of too many big companies that are not involved in some way. I have even seen purses taken off because they were "inspired by" Kate Spade fabric (not trying to be passed off as an original, just similar to it). So if I were trying to sell it, I would have to spend my time making an appropriate listing that did not violate any policies on the 'bay, even if I thought they stunk!

As far as the "SU police" *meh*:???:
I have no desire to do it, but if other people do that is their perogative as well. There are lots of reasons people choose to report what they percieve as violations, just as there are many reasons people add "Stampin Up" to their auction titles. Just coming from different places.;-)

It is totally within your perogative to feel however you want. I guess I am still confused that you would be upset with SU for even being involved in a VeRO program, but at the same time they seem open to listening to you.
But you know what? You are entitled to your opinion and feelings just as I am mine.

Best of luck-hope you get the answers you are looking for.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2006, 08:09 PM   #19  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by ink pad
I was not giving away a stamp set. I was giving away one stamp. And, if I were giving away a stamp from hero arts or any other company or any other product, I would have also mentioned it by name. My attempt was not to subsititute the auction sale price of cards with the price of a stamp set, particularly since I was not offering a stamp set. Besides, how would that be accomplished by offering an entire, unknown set?

I was annoyed with stampin up because although ebay removed the listing, stampin up was a party to it. Obviously ebay is doing this sort of thing because stampin up is a prticipant in the VeRO program. My criticism of stampin up is that they have chosen parameters that are wide, rather than narrow, and as a result, are censoring those who dont actually violate their policy. Kepp in mind stampin up was only willing to review this AFTER I challenged it. As I noted,my criticism is also of ebay because they remove listings without proof.

I too am amzed that there are so many self-designated stampin up police out there. I am amazed that there are people on ebay and elsewhere who make it their jobs to ferret out offensive listings and report them to stampin up.
If you had the "bonus" stamp in your title, you are using it as a boost to your sales and not a true bonus. This is a very common practice, and it is frowned upon by ebay when you are using copyrighted stuff. For a while people got around major copright laws by selling a pencil and giving away a bonus of pirated copies of movies. If it is truly just just a gift, there is no reason to technically even put it in the description let alone the title. By placing SU in the title, it guaranteed that a lot of people pulled up your cards that would not have if you didn't have that "bonus" in your listing. I know that many ebay listings do this, but I find it an irritating practice. If it is in the listing, it is for sale (and specifically to up the sale). This is a problem with many compaines and is not just a SU thing.

Sorry, but I just don't get why your are irritated with SU or ebay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2006, 08:16 PM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

After reading the comments, I am curious about who the people are sell stampin up on e-bay. I have purchased stamps from e-bay in the past just because it was there. Are the stamps falling off backs of trucks? Are the people selling demos and are demos allowed to sell on e-bay? Should I stop checking e-bay for my stamp sets - will I be barred from this site if I buy stamps from e-bay? Why are people overpaying for stamp sets on e-bay? Lots of questions. Would love to have some insight to this.

Last edited by cindy501; 02-09-2006 at 08:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2006, 10:16 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by cindy501
After reading the comments, I am curious about who the people are sell stampin up on e-bay. I have purchased stamps from e-bay in the past just because it was there. Are the stamps falling off backs of trucks? Are the people selling demos and are demos allowed to sell on e-bay? Should I stop checking e-bay for my stamp sets - will I be barred from this site if I buy stamps from e-bay? Why are people overpaying for stamp sets on e-bay? Lots of questions. Would love to have some insight to this.

The stamps are being sold by either demos or people supplied by demos. Us demos are NOT allowed to sell current stamps on ebay in any way shape or form, but of course, some do anyway. If and when Stampin' Up! can uncover that the seller is a demo or supplied by a demo (which is a bit trickier), that demo will no longer be a demo.

No one here is going to bar you from this site for buying your stamps from ebay, or anywhere else for that matter. I think that the reasons to buy from a demo far outweigh any discount you might get by buying on ebay, but that's my own opinion.

Why people overpay on ebay--who knows? I think sometimes it comes down to needing to win. I think auctions can be addicting sometimes, the thrill of winning maybe. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2006, 10:22 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cindy501
I'm not an expert on ebay rules and SU, but I think I can answer your questions. Demonstrators are barred by their contract with SU from selling CURRENT merchandise (this apparently includes products from minis that were offered in the July - June SU year) on ebay. Everyone is barred from posting pictures of SU products on Ebay because it violates SU's copyright. These rules are broken everyday,and apparently enforced in an uneven fashion.

Some SU demos go ballistic when demos sell current merchandise on Ebay because we lose customers to these other demos who are breaking their contract with SU, and thus we lose $$$. We are not allowed to sell current merchandise on internet auction sites and we are not allowed to buy up sets and then sell them to our customers -- in other words, we can't carry an inventory, which is what some demos on ebay are doing.

We see people spending more on stamps than the catty price (sometimes), not getting hostess or other benefits, and not having any return to SU if there is a problem. It cuts into our business, which is based on demonstrating the products and having a good relationship with our customers. We play by the terms of our contract and others don't and it literally isn't fair. Plus, some auctions misstate the products -- say something is retired when it isn't. I get angry with the demos, not the buyers.

I think folks turn to ebay because it is a form of instant gratification and folks like to participate in auctions, pay by credit card, whatever! Why they pay too much? No clue.

And, no, I don't think you will be barred from this site if you purchase current merchandise from ebay, but I wouldn't go around bragging about it, IYKWIM.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2006, 03:29 AM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

Thanks for the info and insight on the e-bay dealers. I think you are right about the reasons to only purchase from an SU demo and do not wish to take anything away from my demo. I will now limit my stamp set searches to my my demo and the the SCS B/S/T forum.

I do think the enforcement on e-bay is spotty at best. I don't know how those people are allowed to sell what they do with pictures and all.

OK, let me play devils advocate now. Do you think SU might allow some of it because after all they are making money whether they sell to a demo to stock up and carry an inventory to sell on e-bay or supply to someone else to sell on e-bay?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2006, 04:12 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Cindy, you are not the first to say that SU! might be turning a blind eye to the dishonest demos selling on eBay in the name of making money, and I doubt you will be the last. At least you're not being nasty about the way you say it. I do not believe it is true, and believed it long before I made the decision to become a demo.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"

Last edited by row4d; 02-10-2006 at 08:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2006, 05:58 AM   #25  
Crimping Master

Here's info from Ebay re: its VeRO program:

Why was my listing removed through VeRO?
When your listing was ended, you should have received an email explaining why your listing was removed. If the email stated that your listing was removed at the request of a participant in our VeRO Program, then we removed the listing because that rights owner identified your listing, under penalty of perjury, as offering an item or containing material that infringes their intellectual property rights.

The email didn't provide me with any information as to why the rights owner believes my item is infringing. Isn't this required?
Unfortunately, eBay cannot require the rights owner to provide you with the exact reason of the request to remove your listing. However, we do require the owner to provide an email address you can use for direct contact. This address should be included in the email we sent to you notifying you your listing had been removed.

In addition, many VeRO Program participants have created an About Me page that contains information designed to help you better understand why they requested the removal of your listing. View the list of About Me Pages.

What does eBay do to ensure my listings aren't removed by mistake?
The form which eBay requires rights owners to use when reporting listings through VeRO was designed to ensure that the person reporting the item is authorized to do so, and to enable eBay to correctly identify the listing to be removed.

We also call rights owners the first time they report a listing to us to make sure they are in fact the rights owner. If we have any doubts, we investigate.

What can I do if I think the rights owner made a mistake?

If you believe that your listing was removed in error, we encourage that you first try to contact the rights owner directly. (The email we sent to you notifying you your listing had been removed should have included the rights owner's email address.) Only the rights owner understands its products and intellectual property rights.
If the rights owner agrees that they made a mistake, have them email us and we will allow you to re-list your item.
See below for more information about asking eBay a question.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2006, 06:01 AM   #26  
Crimping Master

I don't know why the link I posted (above) to Stampin' Up's VeRO page on ebay won't work - but you can easily find it by looking in ebay's help section. Here's some info from SU's VeRO page:

The Stampin� Up! Copyright Policy for the Internet

All Stampin� Up! designs are exclusively created by Stampin' Up! artists and are protected under Federal Copyright laws. Stampin� Up! designs may not be reproduced or copied in any form by any means, graphic, electronic, or mechanical, including photocopying. eBay auctions which display unauthorized images of Stampin' Up! copyrighted designs are subject to action by eBay as part of their effort to help protect intellectual property rights. eBay has a program in place called the Verified Rights Ownership (VeRO) Program. This program enables eBay to respond to notices that an auction is infringing upon the intellectual property rights of a member company. When a notice or infringement is sent to eBay, in accordance with their VeRO Program guidelines, their action is to cancel the infringing auction. Stampin� Up! does not prevent people (other than its demonstrators under certain rules) from offering their genuine Stampin' Up! stamps for re-sale on eBay. However, Stampin' Up! will take advantage of eBay�s VeRO program in order to protect the integrity of Stampin' Up!�s images and product line by protecting our copyrighted and trademarked material. We hope this information will assist you in understanding and complying with Stampin' UP!�s copyright and trademark policies.

FAQ

Q: How can I sell my Stampin' Up! stamp sets on eBay?
A: Individuals (not Stampin� Up! demonstrators) may list the name of the set, a description of the set, a picture of the set, and/or reference the page number in the Stampin' Up! catalog (if available) of the set they wish to auction. Scanning of copyrighted Stampin' Up! stamp images, taken from any Stampin' Up! created publication [ Stampin' Up! Catalog & Idea Book, mini and seasonal catalogs, Stampin� Memories Catalog ] in any way, is strictly prohibited (this includes taking pictures of images and scanning them).

Q: Can I sell hand-stamped cards I�ve made with Stampin' Up! images on eBay?
A: Stampin' Up!�s Angel Policy (http://www.stampinup.com/web2001/AngelPolicy.asp) does not allow selling items made with Stampin' Up! images via the Internet, this includes eBay auctions.

Q: Can I still sell my discontinued stamps?
A: Yes, you may still sell your discontinued items on eBay; with no trademark or copyright violating images being displayed.

Q: Can I scan images from the catalog?

A: All Stampin' Up! Idea Book & Catalogs, as well as the Mini Catalogs, are copyrighted items. The copyrights on these items are perpetual, meaning that even if the catalog is not current, it is still protected under Stampin'
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2006, 05:23 PM   #27  
Cardstock Collector

Spammie, thanks for the info. I was not blaming your link. Even the link that ebay sent through an email was dead. The info you posted provided some interesting information.

As I read it, I realized that I did not violate stampin up's ebay policy, plain and simple. For those of you wondering why I was upset, that is exactly the reason. My listing did not violate the policy but was removed. It was removed because apparently Stampin Up has set braod parameters for what will be automatically removed under VeRO. I never said I was upset with stampin up for being involved in Vero. I just think that it is possible that their paramaters ( for what violates) should be defined more narrowly (?)

Yes, I can probably get it resolved and re-listed but that is besides the point, in my eyes. I have already been censored. And I am still disgusted with both companies for making me jump through these hoops.

Yes, you are dead on right that I used the allure of a free product to boost interest in my listing. That is neither illegal nor unethical. Does that mean that manufacturer is really "selling" the small .5 ounce tube of toothpaste that is shrink-wrapped to the 30 ounce bottle of mouthwash that you are purchasing? No. It is called marketing. The erroneous assumtion that some of you made was that I was "really" selling the stampin up item. That is not true. I wanted to sell the cards beacuse I have too many of them and am trying to clear out clutter. Besides, if I am allowed to sell that same stamp outright by stampin up ( and post a picture of it as long as I dont scan it), why is is so horrible if I offer the item for free?

Last edited by ink pad; 02-10-2006 at 05:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2006, 05:37 PM   #28  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Selling on Ebay. I think that Ebay is cracking down on Seller's that are offering Bonus's to Attract Buyers.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2006, 05:48 PM   #29  
Cardstock Collector

jeanstamping, I had no idea!

I am acually glad that I posted the original question beacuse I am learning all sorts of things from this thread. I have previosuly tried to familiarize my self with ebay's policies but I guess I missed a few !

Particularly since that was not the reason for pulling the listing, it never occured to me that offering a freebie or bonus with an acution listing would be prohibited. But jean's post made me curious so I checked ebay's policy and here it is, in relevant part:

Bonuses

It is generally permissible for sellers to offer a bonus item to bidders within their listing as long as the following requirements are met:

In all bonus listings, the seller must state the exact price at which the bonus will apply. For example, it is not permissible to state, "I will throw in a state-of-the-art black and white TV if bidding reaches a high enough amount." It is permissible to state, "I will throw in a state-of-the-art black and white TV if bidding reaches $150."

Conditional bonuses, free gifts, and other items that do not significantly affect the value of the item for sale may not be included in the title of the listing.

Who knew?? I guess I will just have to sell the free stamp for 5 cents or something since I can't give it away!!

Thanks to everyone for your input.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2006, 08:15 PM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks for this thread. I learned alot.

Actually, you can give the stamp away, just don't mention it in the posting. Several times I have bought things on e-bay and was surprised to get a "bonus"- a stamp or card. This encourages me to put the seller on my "favorite sellers" list.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2006, 03:27 PM   #31  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ebay has a message board.

And you can posted messages there, And find the answers their as well.

This might help you find out more about what you can and can't do on Ebay!

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2006, 04:06 PM   #32  
Stampin' Fool

Location: I try to live in LaLa Land, but people keep interrupting me!
Talking

Quote:

Originally Posted by jailbirdstamper
there are quite a few SU demo's that regularly report auctions to ebay and SU!. If you are a new lister or non-frequent lister, you may have got on their radar. As new sellers pop up, they do their best to get them closed down. I dont' have an opinion of it one way or the other - I just don't know how they find time to watch ebay so closely , I would rather be stamping. also other sellers - will attempt to get you shut down , just to kill the competition. It's a dog eat dog world out there away from SCS!

LOL!! OMG! jailbirdstamper You hit the nail on the head! Only they are called the Stampin' Up! police! Or the Stampford wives club...and it's not their radar it's their "hit list". They STILL think I walk across the stage during convention. lol!

Lol! It's REALLy sad people can't mind thier own "businesses".

Happy Stamping!!
Kim

Last edited by kimeboss; 03-26-2006 at 09:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2006, 04:58 PM   #33  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by roo613
If you had the "bonus" stamp in your title, you are using it as a boost to your sales and not a true bonus. This is a very common practice, and it is frowned upon by ebay when you are using copyrighted stuff. For a while people got around major copright laws by selling a pencil and giving away a bonus of pirated copies of movies. If it is truly just just a gift, there is no reason to technically even put it in the description let alone the title. By placing SU in the title, it guaranteed that a lot of people pulled up your cards that would not have if you didn't have that "bonus" in your listing. I know that many ebay listings do this, but I find it an irritating practice. If it is in the listing, it is for sale (and specifically to up the sale). This is a problem with many compaines and is not just a SU thing.

Sorry, but I just don't get why your are irritated with SU or ebay.
I take exception to your equating pirated copies of movies to the topic of offering bonus stamps in an auction. These are not "copies" of stamps! Hummmm you just gave me an idea! rofl!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2006, 05:02 PM   #34  
SCS Moderator

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimeboss
I'm so hated here, I can't even get a listing posted in B/S/T to sell my TAC catalogs! (We all know ebay doesn't let you sell ANY current catalogs, they don't want to lose the listing & end of auction fees) Lol! It's REALLy sad people can't mind thier own "businesses".
not quite true.;)
If you need clarification on our policies please feel free to read the BST guidelines, TOS (the combo will help answer your questions about the catalog sales), and if still in doubt please feel free to PM a BST moderator.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2006, 05:56 PM   #35  
Stampin' Fool

I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to this question? If I make a project using SU designer paper can I sell it on Ebay?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2006, 06:18 PM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

sorry guys......I posted twice since my server must be drunk! It's really slow!

Last edited by dkessler73; 03-26-2006 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: duplicate post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2006, 06:26 PM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

WOW! Seems like if the copyright/trademark POLICE are on the scene, then someone should point them in the direction of terms like *rare*, *htf*, *retired*(my personal favorite), *hostess set* etc. I'm guilty of buying sets off ebay---usually old sets that are really retired--------but the other day one individual seller had 4 or 5 of every set from this year's sellabration, sets from the holiday and spring catalog. It's fine to say that some of those items are no longer available, but rare? Gimme a break, I have sellabration, hostess, and winter and spring catalog sets coming out of my ears and I'm not even a demonstrator! There is nothing rare or htf about 'alphabet soup'. In fact, I saw at least 15 listings for that set. I can see that the sellers are cut throat, but sometimes I just wonder what person pays double plus shipping on an item that is available in the current catalogue. Oh and other ebay gripes. I won 4 retired sets on ebay for a really good price and now seller doesn't want to sell or combine shipping as promised in the listing. I feel like if you can't part with the set for less than x dollars then, spend the extra cents to set a reserve price. I won those fair and square! Furthermore, I recently sold seven sets at less than what I had hoped, but hey, that's the name of the game and I happily mailed those out to the winning bidder. Sheesh, some people need a conscience!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2006, 07:19 PM   #38  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkessler73
I won 4 retired sets on ebay for a really good price and now seller doesn't want to sell or combine shipping as promised in the listing. I feel like if you can't part with the set for less than x dollars then, spend the extra cents to set a reserve price. I won those fair and square! Furthermore, I recently sold seven sets at less than what I had hoped, but hey, that's the name of the game and I happily mailed those out to the winning bidder. Sheesh, some people need a conscience!
First, report that seller to eBay for violating what they posted in their auctions. If the seller said combined shipping, they have to follow their own auction rules. And let the seller know that you have reported them.

Now to selling on eBay......

Demos are allowed to sell retired sets on eBay with pictures. This does not include any Mini catalog from the current year. Those who are not demos can sell any set of stamps with pictures. The picture rule has been a change in SU policy. Pictures are allowed. But not SU cards.

There is a problem with those huge stores where the seller is not a demo, but being supplied by a demos. They are selling tons of current SU items. The demos, if they know the items are soley being purchased for selling on eBay, are violating the code they signed. I would guess they know and just ring up huge sales. No one is allowed to copy a picture out from a catalog or mini catalog. This is for sure a copyright issue.

You probably got turned in by a competitor who saw SU in the title and turned you in for spamming.

No one can sell any SU cards on eBay as SU considers eBay as a store or permanent retail location and that is against their Angel policy. You can sell SU cards at a craft fair as long as the back of the card is stamped with one of the SU Angel stamps. You can buy these from your demo. If a demo sells at a craft fair, they cannot promote their business in any way including handing out business cards or sell catalogs.

If you want to sell cards that are not against any companies Angel policy, I would not put "bonus" or "free SU" in the title.

I have seen a lot of SU cards with pictures being sold and many without. All are breaking the rules. EBay is huge. Usually they act when a fellow eBayer turns someone in. Not fair, but that is how they police things.

When you get in a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn. -- Harriet Beecher Stowe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2006, 08:22 PM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixbares
I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to this question? If I make a project using SU designer paper can I sell it on Ebay?
Since the patterns on the designer papers are created using SU! images that are taken from and coordinate with the stamp sets and those images are copyrighted, my guess would be that no, you cannot do this. You can call DS to be sure, but the answer will probably be the same. Also, since you are a SU! demo, there are apparently even more restrictions about advertising the sale of your creations! :(

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2006, 09:08 PM   #40  
Stampin' Fool

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by camsmom
not quite true.;)
If you need clarification on our policies please feel free to read the BST guidelines, TOS (the combo will help answer your questions about the catalog sales), and if still in doubt please feel free to PM a BST moderator.
Hi Britta!
Jovi got it fixed for me...yea!!! Thanks!! Oh, and I edited my above post I was in error.

Last edited by kimeboss; 03-26-2006 at 09:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes