Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-17-2004, 06:06 PM   #41
Glitter Queen

Default Angel Policy

Just an FYI. This thread got me looking since I am just starting a business selling completed scrapbooks, etc. Found a great link that gives the list of Angel Policies for tons of stamping, scrapbooking and embellishment companies. Includes contact info, etc. Thought it might come in handy. Also shows us, S/U is not alone, Many have almost exactly the same wording as our S/U policy. Happy Stamping, Di

http://www.littlebit.com/angelList/a...stcomplete.htm
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-17-2004, 06:34 PM   #42
Pearl-ExPert

I think the reason people complain about the SU angel policy is that some demo's make a point to explain it to their customers, so the customers are now aware of the restriction. No one tells you about Hero Arts angel policy. Does the cashier at AC Moore tell you not to sell cards that you've made every time you buy a stamp there?

And look at the bottom of your SU stamps. Right on the label there is a little copyright symbol right there. That is letting you know that SU has the rights to that image. We're so used to seeing those little copyright and trademark symbols everyday that we don't even notice them anymore or fully understand what they mean.

Whether we agree with it or not, that's their policy. I wish I could sell my cards too. I have had offers from storeowners to sell them. But I can't so I just smile and move on! Why focus on the money aspect? Why not enjoy the process of creation?

Just my 2 cents.

And hello to shprete from a fellow librarian!
Old 09-17-2004, 08:11 PM   #43
Duchess of Dork

Default more selling questions

This is a very timely thread as a friend & I would like to start making & selling cards & wanted to get input. We are not SU demonstrators. These are real, legitimate questions---not trying to push limits, just want to know exactly what the limits are.

1. Someone mentioned you can't sell at a permanent RETAIL location, but could at a different type location. Does this mean I could set up cards at my hairdresser's shop?

2. What about advertising? Can you have card samples at a shop, or business cards about your business? Just not sell the cards there?

3. What are the internet restrictions? Can you advertise on your own internet site? We would like to do custom cards as ordered, not have cards set up to sell as sets, per se.

4. Is selling them from your home okay or not?

5. Are there any restrictions about the papers & inks? If we had to use stamps without restrictions (which wouldn't be as cute as SU's for sure), can we use SU inks & paper?

I'm sure I have even more, but hopefully some of you can answer these! THanks so much!
Old 09-19-2004, 10:46 AM   #44
Mad Swapper

Chef Mama,
I believe your hairdresser would be considered a permanant location so no I don't believe you can sell your cards there.
I can't answer any of your other questions except that if you are planning on doing a business out of your home, this is what i have found in Canada so you will have to check your local bylaws. You need a business license and insurance. You can only have 2 people at your house at one time conducting business, you can't have a sign in your yard but it can be attached to your house, it has to be a certain size too. You can't have lots of vehicles parked around your house. If you have business license and are required to get a tax number, you will have to charge taxes and submit the required paperwork to your government. If you have a tax number, you can usually purchase things from wholesalers. These things change from area to area so check with your city for what you need there.
Kelli
Old 09-19-2004, 07:14 PM   #45
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm not positive, and I would check with SU to be sure (call 800-STAMPUP - they'll help even if you aren't a demo) but I believe it would be okay from a hairdresser shop. While the shop is permanent, it is most likely not considered a retail shop but a service shop. Like I said, call SU to be sure - they are really nice . Dawn
Old 09-19-2004, 08:18 PM   #46
Stazon Splitcoast

The major downside of selling at craft shows is the often exorbitantly high fees that are charged for a small table or booth. I did a show at a local high school a couple of years ago, and it cost me $50! On top of that, it was a fundraiser for the band, and so the group had all kinds of things for sale with the school logo, as well as a raffle. People spent a lot of the cash they'd brought on these things, and then had very little left to buy the crafters' merchandise! Add to that the fact that many people aren't willing to pay what handmade things are really worth (in terms of time, care and skill involved in addition to materials), and the whole thing just gets so discouraging. I lost money at every show I participated in, and I doubt I'll ever do it again.

Now that I'm a student at SCAD, I'll always have the shopSCAD gallery store as an outlet for selling my artwork and crafts -- they sell items submitted by students, faculty, and alumni of the college. I wish I could also sell stamped cards and other items there, as doing so allows me to earn money for buying more stamps. From what I've seen, the sort of folks who shop there would love stamped dominoes, or other "anything but" items in addition to handcrafted cards and stationery.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:31 AM   #47
Stazon Splitcoast

Just in reply to all those who are seriously considering selling cards with SU! stamp images, please, PLEASE see a local lawyer who knows the restrictions of your town/city, state/province and make sure to take the full Angel Policy and Copyight from SU! into her/him. It may cost some $$ in the begining but will save you plenty of headache and heartache in the long run. Oh, I'm not putting a plug in here for any law company, for that matter I wish I had a family member to do this for me.

And I totally agree with NY Nan, I wish I had known about the restriction of the Angel Policy and Copyright before I signed up.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:27 PM   #48
Inking Addict

Default I HAVE SOOOOOOON BEEN THERE!!

I'm on-line here looking for the instructions on stampin on tiles, when i saw your post i have to reply. This same EXACT thing has happened to me with my best customer. This girl has been coming to my THO classes from the beginning & has been a real enthusatic stamper for SU - always ranting & raving about how su is the best. Throughout the winter, i was thinking that i should really recruit her, but i just didn't ask her - i really couldn't see the home party thing as her bag & plus, it's nice to have a customer that regularly puts in big orders right! Anyway, in the spring she tells me she has starting to sell some of her cards to friends, which is great & i give her a trademark stamp to make sure she is covered. a few months later she annouces to me that she has been approached by a distruibutor & asked to create cards for 40 "high end" (her words) gift stores in southern Ontario, Canada. She then tells me that she ahs sold all her stamps on ebay, & will be getting her paper "wholesale", but will continue to use our ink, since it is the best. Anyway, she also says, "oh sign me up for all your classes too, since your ideas are so great - i can use them for my cards!" Ok, i'm generous & all that but this is really pushing it. I only charge $10 for my classes & don't "require" anyone to buy anything, although many do. Now I'm in the possition where I want to tell her she can't come to my classes anymore, but i don't know exactly how to do that. Anyway, that's my story, I feel your pain! You're not alone.

Kim
Old 09-20-2004, 06:46 PM   #49
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Default Re: I HAVE SOOOOOOON BEEN THERE!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimschott
...she has been approached by a distruibutor & asked to create cards for 40 "high end" (her words) gift stores in southern Ontario, Canada.
Ugh; this would TOTALLY take the fun out of stamping for me ...mass production, same thing, day in, day out ... it would KILL me to get sucked into that ...

I feel your pain about losing her as a customer; but, you may get her back again, some day, when reality sets in of the daily monotony of what she's getting into .... I've heard of many who got into something similar, only to burn out after a few years, feeling stifled and boxed in ...

I can sympathyize, but don't know that I'd "ban" her from your classes? She obviously holds you in high regard for your creative talent and she would be paying to take the class, right?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. A bit of a quandry, eh?
Old 09-28-2004, 07:44 AM   #50
Cardstock Collector

Default Angel Policy for Stampin Up

The Angel Policy is not only for demonstrators but for customers as well. If you look on the demonstrator portion of the website under business aids/copyright/legal info/angel policy it will bring up a flyer that is meant to handed out to your customers.

On that flyer under #4 it will tell your customers that they can sell at temporary events but not fixed retail location.

Just thought you would like to info.

Take care
Christy
Old 09-28-2004, 08:32 AM   #51
Forum Fanatic

I have to disagree about taking the Angel policy to a local lawyer in the US. It would be a waste of money as we are only governed/prosicutable by Utah law regarding the Angel policy. A local lawyer may not be familiar with the laws of other states.
Quote:

Stampin’ Up! is a Utah corporation. The laws of the State of Utah govern the policy. The state and federal courts for Salt Lake County, Utah, will have exclusive jurisdiction over any proceeding arising from this policy. Any failure by Stampin’ Up! to enforce any of its rights will not constitute a waiver of such rights.
Honestly, the Angel policy isn't complicated, it's just hard to follow sometimes when you want to sell your items. It's basic ~ sell only at craft shows, no permanent locations, and stamp the back giving SU credit. I sometimes think we make it harder than it has to be. I don't mind that I wasn't informed before signing up and I am glad I'm not responsible if my customers break the policy. Imagine if we were liable for our customers actions. That would be not good!!
Old 09-28-2004, 08:57 AM   #52
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

I'd like to point out that what Kymber has said and quoted does not meant that the Angel Policy does not apply to you if you do not live in Utah. It simply means that if SU! sues you over copyright infringement, that the proceedings will be handled by the Utah courts rather than your local jurisdiction.

What I'm thinking that heresita meant is that some areas require you to carry a business license when selling from your home, so it is wise to check into that.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Old 09-28-2004, 10:11 AM   #53
Cardstock Collector

Let your customer know that many of the Big stamping companies like Hero arts and PSX don't let their customers sell cards in permanent locations either. So if she were to buy them instead of Stampin' Up!, she would be in the same situation. Just tell her to sell the cards at craft shows. There are plenty of them all year long.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:36 AM   #54
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInk
I'd like to point out that what Kymber has said and quoted does not meant that the Angel Policy does not apply to you if you do not live in Utah. It simply means that if SU! sues you over copyright infringement, that the proceedings will be handled by the Utah courts rather than your local jurisdiction.

What I'm thinking that heresita meant is that some areas require you to carry a business license when selling from your home, so it is wise to check into that.
Jan's right. I did forget to say that. My bad, so sorry. Yes, we are all required to follow the angel policy, but it is governed by the laws of Utah and judiciated in Utah. Not a treck I want to make. What I meant was that visiting a local attorney would only do you good if he knows Utah law as they are the governing state.

Most craft fairs have a global license, so an individual license is not needed, but check with the fair you are selling at. For just selling SU, you don't need a home business license since you aren't paying taxes, SU is doing that for you. That's the nice thing about working for an established home based business.