Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-11-2005, 01:16 PM   #41
Compulsive Stamper

Lisa,

if it were me, I would call her every so often to check on her and make sure she's ok, tell her you are there if she needs you, etc. I think most women tend not to ask for help until its really bad. Maybe you can plan times that you two can get together and go to dinner, etc. without the kids. Encourage her to talk about her feelings, or even to get some help if she needs it. The next few years will be very difficult for her. She will have many bad days. I have a friend who lost her husband unexpectantly about 3 years ago, leaving her with 4 school age children to care for. This past 12 months has been the roughest for her. At first she tried to remain strong for the kids sake and she never really took the time to grieve and to let go. She is having to deal with it now. As the kids are getting older, they are also really missing their dad, so it really compounds her stress. But she's a strong woman and will get through it. However she has had so much support and help from all her friends. She could not imagine having to go thru this without her girlfriends and the support of her church and community.

Sorry this has gotten so long but based on my experience, I think you should reach out to her as often as you think she needs it. If you are smothering her, she will tell you.

I will continue to pray for this family. It sounds like she is at least beginning to recover from her physical injuries.

Sabina
Old 05-11-2005, 06:17 PM   #42
Insane Embellisher

I think I will give her a call on Friday. I don't know if she is more lucid or not yet. I have been aprehensive about calling for fear that she may feel overwhelmed with so many people. I have been taking the silent but there approach. Good ideas though ladies.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:29 PM   #43
Stamp'n In The Light

I still plan on sending a card to April. Time has just not allowed me to do it. As for advice, keep in contact with her. She is going to need support, but will probably be hesitant to accept any invitations or help at first. I agree with the previous 2 posts, don't give up on her if she turns you down a few times.

Bonnie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-12-2005, 11:25 AM   #44
Insane Embellisher

I was able to give Serena 2 more cards last night. Thanks a lot ladies. She had a big grin when I gave them to her.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:11 PM   #45
Mad Swapper

Lisa,
What a dear friend you are! Everyone has given great advice-- I would just add that it's ok to just stop by her house every now and then to say hello and give her a hug. You don't have to have the right words to say. I have a dear friend who lost her husband 1 1/2 years ago, and recently she shared with me that you don't have to say anything-- just be there. So many people don't end up saying or doing anything in a situation like this because they don't know what to do/say and she said she didn't like that people became "distant" because they didn't know what to say. Make sense? God will give you the right words to say when you need them.
Bless you for being the warm & caring friend that you are being to this family during this awful tragedy...
Old 05-12-2005, 07:07 PM   #46
Die Cut Diva

April will be so proud of her daughter when she finally knows what happened. What an angel Serena is! God bless them all.

One suggestion concerning calling April... sometimes just say HI, but sometimes you might want to offer to do something specific for her/them. People often will say "call me if you need anything" but the person probably won't really want to ask, but if you offer to come over and dust & vac or do laundry she may take you up on it. Just a thought.

I will certainly rak them. And I will donate what I can to the fund. Every little bit helps.

God has blessed them with friends like you! Hugs to you!
Old 05-12-2005, 07:56 PM   #47
Insane Embellisher

I just love this site. You guys are the greatest!
Old 05-12-2005, 07:58 PM   #48
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyScrppr
Serena has been so mature and so wonderful. She got up and spoke about her father and invited everyone in the church (staning room only) to accept Jesus so they could see her father again like she will. She's only 13. So strong and so bold.
This absolutely made me cry. This whole family & thier loved ones have my prayers. So sad for such young children to have to deal with something so selfish & irresponsible on the drunk drivers part. May the Lord hold the family in His arms, and give them strength to get through this.

Marjori Miller

Come stamp with me!
Old 05-13-2005, 09:28 PM   #49
Die Cut Diva

I'm rak-ing this rak request with a "bump" to the top!
Old 05-14-2005, 09:48 PM   #50
Insane Embellisher

HaveI got the best news on the planet...

Last night I went to our church ladies lockin. April was there and praise God, she is April again. We stayed up taking until about 3:30 AM. She doesn't remember anything from 2 days prior to the accident until about a couple days after the funeral. I assured her that I was sure that was God's way of protecting her. It will come back to her. Thank God that they taped the funeral. I know it sounds morbid but this is the only way she will get to see it. IT WAS SO COOL to joke with her and us play around harrasing each other like we use to. I just love her and this family so much. They are the greatest people and I wanted to thank all of you for your RAK's!!!!!

You guys are great!
Old 05-15-2005, 07:35 AM   #51
Duchess of Dork

I just found this thread Lisa. I'll be praying & praise God that April is recovering well. What a precious child she has in Serena.

Lori