Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-13-2019, 12:14 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Question regarding unmounting stamp onto cling mount

I am doing a great purge and decided to unmount some wood stamps on to cling mount.

My question is years ago I read that people suggested to stamp the image on the cling part so you would know what the image was. I would like to know what kind of ink was used, did the ink hold up through the years, did the ink make the cling disintegrate at all.

Or is the best thing to do is to just stamp the image for index purpose for my particular storage of remounted stamps?

Thank you for your help.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2019, 05:47 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 183 Likes on 151 Posts

Hi Leslie,
I used Stazon and it seems to last. I've not had any problems. I took most of my wood stamps off the wood so I could use my Misti or Stamparatus. Good Luck.
My Blog- Trusting in the Lord for Everything Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your path straight. My Stampin' Up Website My Gallery, BRAK New Member Mentor. New Grandmother to Mia Lou. 1st Grandchild.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2019, 05:39 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've seen many people index cling foam with StazOn; it doesn't seem to impact the cling. I don't index; personally, it is an extra task that doesn't add that much value (to me). Most times, the general cut-out shape of the stamp is sufficient for placement. If I need high accuracy, I still use my (old fashioned) Stamp-a-ma-Jig. Yup, I'm one of those dinosaurs who hasn't adopted the stamping platforms yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2019, 08:08 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Quote:

Originally Posted by bensarmomView Post
Hi Leslie,
I used Stazon and it seems to last. I've not had any problems. I took most of my wood stamps off the wood so I could use my Misti or Stamparatus. Good Luck.

Thank you for your reply
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2019, 08:13 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illinois MargeView Post
I've seen many people index cling foam with StazOn; it doesn't seem to impact the cling. I don't index; personally, it is an extra task that doesn't add that much value (to me). Most times, the general cut-out shape of the stamp is sufficient for placement. If I need high accuracy, I still use my (old fashioned) Stamp-a-ma-Jig. Yup, I'm one of those dinosaurs who hasn't adopted the stamping platforms yet.

Thank you for your reply. I first wanted to start unmounting my SU background stamps and then some sentiment stamps.

First for space saving and also since I really like my TH stamp positioner.

I want to put the stamps in plastic cases like what the SU cling stamps come in. I was just wondering if it would be easier to stamp the image on the cling or to stamp image on paper and tape it to the plastic storage case.

I guess it's just a personal choice of what works best for each individual.

Haven't decide what my preference is yet.

Been to busy catching up on watching the Outlander series :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2019, 06:45 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Just another thing to consider on the background stamps: I use mine without any mounting or cling or anything. I put them face up in my Misti, with the cardstock taped to the cover with poster tape. Same ability to re-stamp, but way less storage space (or wasted foam), and i generally get better coverage. Oh - and my preference on indexing is cardstock cut to size in the same pocket as the stamps...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2019, 06:13 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Just another thing to consider on the background stamps: I use mine without any mounting or cling or anything. I put them face up in my Misti, with the cardstock taped to the cover with poster tape. Same ability to re-stamp, but way less storage space (or wasted foam), and i generally get better coverage. Oh - and my preference on indexing is cardstock cut to size in the same pocket as the stamps...
Thanks for the tip!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2019, 09:27 AM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2019, 05:07 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I personally don't bother. I just stamp the images onto a piece of card and laminate it. I store my stamps on the laminate and I can see which stamps are stored on the reverse. It's easy to tell which stamp is which. Esp if you arrange them in the same place as shown in the pictures.

Last edited by Kathleen Mc; 02-20-2019 at 05:07 AM.. Reason: Typos!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2019, 05:19 AM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

You are right. You have to do what works for you but I find reading what others do can totally help me out if not what to do-what NOT to do.

I have been paper indexing twice.... at the same time is easy enough for me.
I have master indexes-3 ring binders where I have all my stamps regardless of format, by theme, and then for the cling/clear that I store on pages in 3 ring binders, I have either the original image from the package or I stamp it. Sometimes I cant tell looking at stamps, esp sentiments, what it is. I was advised to do this in my very first stamp class by the teacher. What I WISH I had done was also write in the name of the company and stamp if I didn't have the mfg piece. I didn't for the first few years.

It isn't the most space saving way, but works for me. Having the master index, I can keep that with me when I am on the computer shopping to avoid duplicates...(for images-not only do I have that one but do I have one that is so close it does not make sense. I did also build excel sheets for sentiments, etc)

Do I wish now sometimes I had kept them in their packages or gone with the standard plastic sleeves we use for so much? Maybe....If I purge now I have to go get some plastic package pieces I keep for making shaker windows to remount them and I don't have the company part which makes them more attractive for selling.

Just a thought when it comes to storage-if you want to be able to resell them down the road...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2019, 07:35 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
You are right. You have to do what works for you but I find reading what others do can totally help me out if not what to do-what NOT to do.

I have been paper indexing twice.... at the same time is easy enough for me.
I have master indexes-3 ring binders where I have all my stamps regardless of format, by theme, and then for the cling/clear that I store on pages in 3 ring binders, I have either the original image from the package or I stamp it. Sometimes I cant tell looking at stamps, esp sentiments, what it is. I was advised to do this in my very first stamp class by the teacher. What I WISH I had done was also write in the name of the company and stamp if I didn't have the mfg piece. I didn't for the first few years.

It isn't the most space saving way, but works for me. Having the master index, I can keep that with me when I am on the computer shopping to avoid duplicates...(for images-not only do I have that one but do I have one that is so close it does not make sense. I did also build excel sheets for sentiments, etc)

Do I wish now sometimes I had kept them in their packages or gone with the standard plastic sleeves we use for so much? Maybe....If I purge now I have to go get some plastic package pieces I keep for making shaker windows to remount them and I don't have the company part which makes them more attractive for selling.

Just a thought when it comes to storage-if you want to be able to resell them down the road...

My storage I use are plastic cases like SU uses for their unmounted red rubber cling stamps. I hate saying clear stamps, because imo they aren't clear

I bought a ton online and through SU. I store the majority of my cling in these containers and so far have just taped the manufacturer image to the front of the container. Michaels sells 5x7 clear photo storage containers. These I use to keep like stamps from the same company in or a stamp set with matching dies so I don't go crazy looking for the dies when needed.

Just trying to figure out how to index when I am unmounting some stamps.

I tried selling old SU backgrounders on the BS list but they don't sell. Then I thought I really enjoyed them why back when and can make some neet backgrounds still so why give them away.

Just want to unmount maybe 8-10 wood BG and save a lot of room and organize a bit better.

Thanks for your tips!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2019, 09:07 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Good reading. This past summer I unmounted 90% of my woodmounted stamps. Talk about saving room! It was amazing! Even the backgrounds...I actually find using them easier now. I've used Staz-0n when stamping the image on cling foam and most of them are several years old now. But once I run out of cling foam, I am just going to leave the rubber naked. I am thinking about using the Alene's Tack it Over and Over glue for mounting them in my TH stamping platform.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2019, 09:16 AM   #13  
Inking Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Lesie Springer - Bless your heart for expressing your opinion re SU calling their unmounted red rubber cling stamps, "clear!" They definitely are not clear. I've been wanting to say something about that for quite a while...oh, dear, I don't want this to become a rant because in the light of all eternity, it doesn't matter at all. It just has puzzled me. Thanks for being brave enough to express your opinion!!!!

m Carolyn w
mcw519

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2019, 11:37 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This winter, I unmounted ALL of my wood mounted stamps and am so glad that I did. I got cling foam and laminated sheets from a dot com and I took a pic of how I indexed them. I slide the index sheet into an Avery Elle pocket and the stamps just slide in behind the index in the same pocket. For me, I did not see a need to stamp onto the back of the cling. You can get quite a lot of stamps into ONE pocket.....what a space saver! I stand the pockets on their bottom in a basket and just flip them and can easily find the one that I want.
Attached Thumbnails
Question regarding unmounting stamp onto cling mount-stamps-ez.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2019, 11:53 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Me again,
I also have some of those SU dvd cases, and wanted to use them, so for some special stamps, I indexed the cardstock, cut 7 inches by 10 1/2 inches, scored at 5 and 5 1/2 inches, and this just slides into that thin plastic cover that is on the cases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2019, 08:55 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcw519View Post
Lesie Springer - Bless your heart for expressing your opinion re SU calling their unmounted red rubber cling stamps, "clear!" They definitely are not clear. I've been wanting to say something about that for quite a while...oh, dear, I don't want this to become a rant because in the light of all eternity, it doesn't matter at all. It just has puzzled me. Thanks for being brave enough to express your opinion!!!!

m Carolyn w
mcw519
Well thank you very much You made me smile!
It just baffles me calling rubber cling -clear mount. At least being a seasoned stamper I know the difference, but someone coming into stamping can get confused very fast in this instance.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2019, 09:04 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by imastamperView Post

Me again,
I also have some of those SU dvd cases, and wanted to use them, so for some special stamps, I indexed the cardstock, cut 7 inches by 10 1/2 inches, scored at 5 and 5 1/2 inches, and this just slides into that thin plastic cover that is on the cases.
This is what I have been doing with lots of rubber stamps that I ended up mounting cling to. I have been going to the local stamp convention for 6 years now and when I buy bare rubber stamps I cling them and store them like this.

Just want to unmount some BG stamps and wondered if stamping the cling or stamping image on paper and sliding it into the plastic sleeve on the case would be best. Haven't decided yet as I haven't gone in the basement lately. It really cold down there. even with a hoodie and taking a break to walk on the treadmill for a couple of minutes to get steps in on my fitbit. I have a motion problem and go into dizzy spells if I go past the 13 minute mark. I don't even warm up, let alone break a sweat in the cold basement. Winter has to end soon!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2019, 02:37 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

I unmounted 25 SU background stamps and put them on cling. I then put them in a large Avery Elle pocket that was cut off at the top at 6 3/4 inches. I put the stamp on its long side and made a labeled cardboard divider between all of them. I keep the cling backing sheet on them. For the Larger background stamps, like from IO and MFT, etc. I put them into extra-large Avery Elle pockets that again were cut off at the top. Of course, they already were on cling mount. I loved them that way so much, that is when I decided to do all of the SU ones. Anyhoo, this basket is 12 x 14 and holds 58 background stamps! Gasp! A lot of stamps in one place....I just flip through them pretty easily to find the one that I want. Hope this helps anyone who is considering removing all of that wood, especially from those background stamps. 20 years ago, I would NEVER have dreamed of doing this.....but so happy that I did.
Attached Thumbnails
Question regarding unmounting stamp onto cling mount-stamps-bg-psr.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2019, 05:28 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by imastamperView Post
I unmounted 25 SU background stamps and put them on cling. I then put them in a large Avery Elle pocket that was cut off at the top at 6 3/4 inches. I put the stamp on its long side and made a labeled cardboard divider between all of them. I keep the cling backing sheet on them. For the Larger background stamps, like from IO and MFT, etc. I put them into extra-large Avery Elle pockets that again were cut off at the top. Of course, they already were on cling mount. I loved them that way so much, that is when I decided to do all of the SU ones. Anyhoo, this basket is 12 x 14 and holds 58 background stamps! Gasp! A lot of stamps in one place....I just flip through them pretty easily to find the one that I want. Hope this helps anyone who is considering removing all of that wood, especially from those background stamps. 20 years ago, I would NEVER have dreamed of doing this.....but so happy that I did.
Now that is nice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2019, 09:34 AM   #20  
Cardstock Collector

I have had success unmounting the wood stamps by putting them in the microwave for 15 seconds, remove the entire red rubber and cushion as one piece. then remove the original clear image that was on the wood, attach it carefully to the foam which remains sticky enough to hold it. My final step was to trim the clear image if needed, then apply a thin layer of either Tombo or a product called Tack it over and over found on Amazon. To store, I cut the appropriate size of a 3ml lanimating sheet to place the stamps on once they were dry since they are sticky. After that store them as you wish in cases or whatever your system may be. They do not fall off so far! For me that's a big plus! It really does free up a lot of space which we all need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2019, 09:06 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm curious - where do you get your cling? I've just been using temporary adhesive without the cling, since I ran out of cling, and it's working too. I've been putting my stamps in the avery elle just like ima stamper. If it's a set with coordinating dies, I put the dies on a magnetic sheet and keep them both in the original SU box.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2019, 10:02 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by casmilesView Post
I'm curious - where do you get your cling? I've just been using temporary adhesive without the cling, since I ran out of cling, and it's working too. I've been putting my stamps in the avery elle just like ima stamper. If it's a set with coordinating dies, I put the dies on a magnetic sheet and keep them both in the original SU box.

I have bought my cling mount sheets from my local stamp conventions at booths that sell plain rubber stamps. Also I have bought cling sheets at my local scrapbook store. If you buy plain rubber stamps the company may have cling sheets to purchase. This is how I have purchased cling sheets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2019, 11:50 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,855 Posts

I have purchased Sunday International Cling Mount foam through Amazon before: Amazon.com : Sunday Int EZ Mount Static Cling Mounting Foam 8.5"x 11" 1 Sheet : Mounting Tapes : Office Products

I have also purchased a binder with cling mount in the package at Hobby Lobby: https://www.hobbylobby.com/Scrapbook...Kit/p/80848588

I use Tim Holtz scissors with the red handle for cutting the foam.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2019, 03:33 AM   #24  
Proud Fan Club Member

Ok so I want to revisit this now-you all talked me into unmounting my wood BG stamps for starters.

Can someone please tell me about the stazon and cling in more detail? I am having a junior senior moment. (I am getting a lot of practice in :rolleyes So you stamp the image with stazon on the cling....when I flip to stick it, the image will be right side correct? Also you cut the cling *before* you mount it so you can line it up better?

I am intrigued by the idea of using the mfg clear index from the wood. But then I am doing tack it so why bother clinging?

Also...since they have foam on them already....should I be using the thin cling (1/16th) that is usually black vs the standard grey (1/8th)? Does it make it "high" for a platform? I guess I could take the foam piece in the misti but the TH one doesnt use that.

I just got cling at the cheapest price I have found in awhile. I buy raw rubber a lot and mount myself bc it saves money. (I dont index it) I got it at Joanns. You have to buy a 10 pack but it is 3.75 a sheet for the thicker one. Wait-it went up 3 dollars. Boy show the slightest interest in a thing...still a good price.

EZMount Static Cling Mounting Foam 8.5"X11" 10/Pkg-Gray Foam | JOANN

The shipping is 8 flat now...so that colors things if you are not ordering other stuff with it. Alone it would be like 4.70 a sheet which is kind of average price.

I just poked around fast and found it cheaper at Office Supply (Oriental trading is carrying it too?? Their warehouse must be the size of a football field) for 34.19 and you can get free ship for $45. Most interesting to me is their "regular" price is still way cheaper at 36 and change.

EZMount Static Cling Mounting Foam 8.5"X11" 10/Pkg | OfficeSupply.com

I may do that one since I could use a box of blue flairs unless I decide I need more laminate pages too flairs are expensive now singly.

Am I the last one to know that Office Supply has started carrying rubber stamps? Average pricing but it is Crafty Individual, Paper Rose, AI, TH...maybe if one signs up you get coupons...I know I don't see that in the store here. Maybe it is just online. But then again, I also never saw the cling there either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2019, 04:56 AM   #25  
Proud Fan Club Member

I should say I watched a bunch of vids on this. From stamping the index onto tissue paper and then gluing on cling (in which case I dont understand why use stazon) to doing it with craft foam etc etc. The perils of cling vinyl that does not stick to the block on its own...

One cut the foam before sticking the rubber to it..and believes in the cling being a little smaller than the rubber but to me if your image is right up the edge of the rubber I want cling behind that. Am I wrong? (In that case she peeled the rubber off the foam on the block too bc obviously she cant stamp it if they are still connected.)

I KNOW I am overthinking this which why I need help to get out of the weeds.

I have to go do some work in the garden so I will come back later.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2019, 07:34 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

I unmounted all my 9 SU BG stamps and 2 Cornish Heritage Farms BG stamps.

The CHF stamps where old, so the rubber and cling pulled of nicely. My SU BG stamps I was given a tip to put in the freezer for 3 or 4 minutes. The rubber pulled nicely off the cling.

I tried to unmount the cling foam from other manufactures and I was unable to. The cling broke off in little tiny pieces and took way to much time. So I finished one stamp and left all the rest on wood blocks. My fingers with arthritis and my patients would not last through this ordeal.

Regarding the stazon. What I did was stamp the BG image on the cling part and cut the cling foam out a tad bigger than the image. Put the sticky part on the rubber stamp and then trimmed it.

For me this works just fine. When stamping stazon on the cling you have to make sure to use even pressure all the way around the stamp and not to push to hard-but evenly or you might get a smushed image spot. Which I did but I don't plan on reselling so this little image detail does not bother me.

All of this is just for my reference in storing stamps in plastic storage containers.

I bought large Photo storage containers from Michaels. I made image index of the BG stamps cut them into strips and taped them to the outside of the stage boxes so I know what stamps are in each box, I am able to put 3 BG stamps in each box.

This may not work for everyone but it works just great for me.

Also I prefer cling to bare rubber as I use the Tim Holtz stamping platform and I find using cling backing for me I get a better stamped image the without. When I use photopolymer stamps depending on how thick they are I need extra paper in the platform to a complete stamped image.

Last edited by lesliespringer; 06-09-2019 at 07:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2019, 08:26 AM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

So neat the different ways people are doing this. I don’t have many wood stamps but unmounted most. They live in Avery Elle pockets like photopolymer stamps. Some are bare rubber and some cling foam.

Another way to use a background stamp is to put it on a flat work surface, ink it, put CS on top and rub or brayer it. If the CS is smaller than the stamp, put a piece of copy paper over the CS to avoid inky hands or brayer. Source: my first LSS and Jennifer McGuire (not personally). i use a Tim platform occasionally too, but mainly my hand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2019, 05:55 PM   #28  
Proud Fan Club Member

Thank you for the responses.

Leslie-
I am going to assume that you know with the TH platform you are supposed to flip it for clear vs cling....and you still are not getting a good impression without shimming? Good to know.

And also that you have heard that we can put a stamp in the microwave and it will peel easily-this I have tested when I got wood mounts that were crooked and I had to re-set them. It works.

For years I mounted my own cling stamps and never thought about stamping an index on the foam. (just did my batch of LOTV sob) Another of many reasons I am grateful for the MISTI because I can test stamp on scrap acrylic to try to be as straight as I can because being crooked makes me totally nuts.

But I keep seeing you guys talk about the stazon and I was thinking i wanna try it too.

Ok...I think your way sounds sensible to me Leslie. I can try to stamp it on the cling and then cut it too big and trim it out.

Yes, I have put big stamps on the table face up and stamped that way thanks. I just did it with one that isnt huge but was not printing in the center no matter what I did. I dont want to toss it so I was glad this worked. It's old.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2019, 07:54 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Thank you for the responses.

Leslie-
I am going to assume that you know with the TH platform you are supposed to flip it for clear vs cling....and you still are not getting a good impression without shimming? Good to know.

And also that you have heard that we can put a stamp in the microwave and it will peel easily-this I have tested when I got wood mounts that were crooked and I had to re-set them. It works.

For years I mounted my own cling stamps and never thought about stamping an index on the foam. (just did my batch of LOTV sob) Another of many reasons I am grateful for the MISTI because I can test stamp on scrap acrylic to try to be as straight as I can because being crooked makes me totally nuts.

But I keep seeing you guys talk about the stazon and I was thinking i wanna try it too.

Ok...I think your way sounds sensible to me Leslie. I can try to stamp it on the cling and then cut it too big and trim it out.

Yes, I have put big stamps on the table face up and stamped that way thanks. I just did it with one that isnt huge but was not printing in the center no matter what I did. I dont want to toss it so I was glad this worked. It's old.

Yes I know that I have to flip the lid on the TH stamping platform. Sometimes I remember and sometimes not;)

But I have found that some photopolymer stamps are thinner than others. Seems it differs for manufacturers. If I stamp multiples of these stamped images I will shim in the platform, if I need only one image I will pull out an acrylic block.

I tried both microwaving and freezing on both SU stamps and other manufacturer stamps.Microwaving SU stamps did work but I found the freezing method worked better on SU stamps to remove the rubber from the cling, for me that is. Then I tried on other manufacturer stamps, Penny Black, Whipper Snapper, Hero and neither micro or freezing helped. Those rubber stamps are stuck on the cling really, really good. I had a very difficult time, so I just gave up.

I have read about inking a BG stamp and laying paper over the inked stamp and either rubbing with hand or a brayer. Must be user error because that just never ever worked for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2019, 11:36 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
Yes I know that I have to flip the lid on the TH stamping platform. Sometimes I remember and sometimes not;)

But I have found that some photopolymer stamps are thinner than others. Seems it differs for manufacturers. If I stamp multiples of these stamped images I will shim in the platform, if I need only one image I will pull out an acrylic block.

I have read about inking a BG stamp and laying paper over the inked stamp and either rubbing with hand or a brayer. Must be user error because that just never ever worked for me.

If you have any of that thin foam like they use to wrap glass objects when you move, a piece of that under your cardstock works great as a shim - it provides a bit of "give", so there's less likelihood of bare spots, etc...

Also, I'm another that has "user error" issues if I just use my hands or a brayer with a bg stamp face up, so I lay it that way in my MISTI and tape the cardstock to the lid with poster tape - same ability to re-stamp, if needed, and less chance of user error...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2019, 03:36 PM   #31  
Proud Fan Club Member

ah...I wanted to keep my rubber attached to the foam when I nuked them so I didn't know that.

Would thin fun foam also work as a shim?

For years I have used mouse pads as my "give" when block stamping if you have one of those around. I finally broke down and bought an official small "stamp pad" for my class bag. I swear it might even be thinner than my mouse pad. :P

I think that is clever Sue to do it like that in the MISTI.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2019, 04:59 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thin fun foam does work well as a shim (the thicker version seems to be what's in the MISTI, anyway).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2019, 03:28 PM   #33  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

A little OT - Coincidentally, today Justine Hovey posted a video and showed/talked about stamping background stamps without a stamp positioner. If interested, fast forward to 10:37. It’s personal preference, not right or wrong - just posting for those who haven’t seen it. Leaving it on its backing sheet is smart and obvious - so of course never occurred to me. :rolls eyes:

A very flat surface worked best for me - first on my acrylic desk top protector, and lately on a Tim glass mat.

https://m. 10 minutes/37ish seconds
Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2021, 08:58 AM   #34  
Cardstock Collector

I ended up getting both of those kinds of EZ Mount-with the foam (gray) and without (black). I've been so frustrated. Stazon works on the gray for the image (only if I'm super careful), but it doesn't work on the black bc it doesn't show up. I've tried to attach a picture of the stamp image and then use Aleene's Tack It Over and Over so it will cling again, but the image will not attach to the gray or black side. I've tried so many types of glue. Someone said E6000 will make paper with the image on it stick to the gray and black. I'm ready to do them all with bare rubber (not good with latex allergies!) and just forget the top image. I have SO many rubber stamps and they are just coming out of 10 years of storage now that I'm retired! I use TH platform. I'll take any suggestions at all. I joined this group for help!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2021, 12:12 PM   #35  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 660 Likes on 415 Posts

well, It's been a very long time since I bought the black foam and when I did, ( it had adhesive on both sides for mounting bare rubber stamps to say wood blocks) so, I find it interesting that you found black cling foam?

Other than that I do know that stayzon brand comes in a white ink and if the black ink works on the grey foam maybe the white will work on the black, hth.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2021, 01:32 PM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I had some stamps that I put on black ez-mount - it was thinner without much cushion. Supposed to be able to apply it to stamps that came off wood blocks with cushion already on them, and also supposed to be better for small stamps. Hated it. Didn't keep its cling and the stamps kind of slid off of it.

What I did with unmounting stamps from wood - most of mine just peeled right off the wood with the cushion intact. I put them in the freezer instead of the microwave because it was easier to throw a bunch in the freezer all at once and then take them out one or two at a time. Then, I peeled the sticker off the block and trimmed it as close as I could. Then I re-stuck the sticker onto the foam on the stamp. If there wasn't enough stickiness left to hold it in place, I just used some Mono Multi glue to hold it down. THEN I coated the entire back of the stamp with either Mono Multi or Alene's Tack It Over & Over glue and let it dry thoroughly. The trick seemed to be trimming that sticker so that there was as much of a border of foam as possible left around it once it was applied to the back of the stamp. That way, the repositionable glue kind of sealed it down. There were a few that I did before I figured out about trimming the sticker; those, the sticker kept wanting to peel away from the foam.

To be honest, I wouldn't bother with all that work again. The only time I use the image on the back of the stamps is to make sure my sentiment isn't upside-down or when I'm using alphabet stamps to spell out a word. And that I can take care of by just writing the info with a pen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2021, 11:38 AM   #37  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mimahraView Post
I ended up getting both of those kinds of EZ Mount-with the foam (gray) and without (black). I've been so frustrated. Stazon works on the gray for the image (only if I'm super careful), but it doesn't work on the black bc it doesn't show up. I've tried to attach a picture of the stamp image and then use Aleene's Tack It Over and Over so it will cling again, but the image will not attach to the gray or black side. I've tried so many types of glue. Someone said E6000 will make paper with the image on it stick to the gray and black. I'm ready to do them all with bare rubber (not good with latex allergies!) and just forget the top image. I have SO many rubber stamps and they are just coming out of 10 years of storage now that I'm retired! I use TH platform. I'll take any suggestions at all. I joined this group for help!!!
I suggest you don't unmount the stamps wholesale. I did 22 and then decided many I would never use again. I stamp the image on a scrap and put each with the stamp in a tiny ziplok bag. I remove mine from the wood by nuking for 3 seconds,. That leaves the mount intact . NEVER use EZY Mount! Such a sticky mess!
Reply With Quote Likes