Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-25-2008, 03:44 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QUESTION ABOUT CANVAS WALL ART. DECOPAUGE.

I have a graduation coming up and was wondering if anyone has ever done decopaugeing on a canvas before. With a photo.

Or if you can't.

For those of you who have done canvas wall art. What are you using for your background. Are you using SU inks and what kind. Chalks etc, Or are you using acrylic paint. And how are you ahdering you paper and photos down. to stay on the canvas.

Last but not least are you using a frame backing to mount to the backs on the canvas by stapling them on to wooden part of the canvas to stand up on a table.

need to know soon if I'm going to make one for my niece. Her graduation is June 7th. And need to get moving on this.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2008, 05:14 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

i plan to try this soon. i have seen it done and they used modge podge -- i think they may have printed the picture on regular paper, rather than printed paper. you might check DIY's website. i'd think maybe craft ink or acrylic paint would be okay to use good luck! great gift idea!
My Etsy Store
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2008, 06:15 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Is this what you're talking about?

Perfection by mkkimber at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2008, 07:02 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chalk Hybrid Inks.

I have found that chalk / hybrid inks work best. They are not as prone to environmental damage as dye (water-based) inks are [e.g. they won't bleed or feather in high humidity]. They also give a more consistent coverage than do pigment-based inks, which tend to look "...gloppy..." on the canvas. I like to use 2-4 colors of chalk ink to give the canvas dimension as well as color.

I haven't decoupaged canvas, as much as I have done layouts much like scrapbooking. If you want to protect your finished canvas, you could use watered-down glue to finish your surfacing; however, varnish or beeswax work better. I personally favor the *look* of sealing with beeswax, but it is a bit tricky to work with the first few times and it is more prone to collecting dust than varnish. Varnish will protect your work better than decoupage, unless you're working with a designated decoupage medium (as opposed to glue mixed with water, which can remain tacky, collect dust and grease, and dulls with age.)

HTH ~ kbc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2008, 07:25 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Hi Lisa,

I have made dozens of canvas wall art and many times I have modge podged a picture on glossy picture type paper. I have already used a picture that was printed on regular white paper. They just have a different look.

First I pick out a perfect piece of 12x12 paper, figure out the color to paint the sides of the canvas. Then I paint the sides of the canvas, decorate the beautiful paper (or sometimes I don't and let the paper be the art) with a picture and emellishments and modge podge three more coats.

To finish off the back I glue or modge podge another piece of 12x12 paper and then put on hanger on to finish it off.

Good Luck, it is so much fun!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes