Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-09-2006, 08:35 PM   #1
Hardware Hotshot

Question Question about acrylic blocks

Okay, I've seen a lot of talk on here about acrylic blocks. I know if saves space and all, but I gotta say I still don't understand it. It just seems to me that it would be a huge pain having to put the stamp on the block before you want to use it(If thats how it works). Could someone please explain to me the pros of acrylic. Oh, I'm also wondering about cleaning them. If the stamp is just stuck on the block by a static cling, don't they fall off when you use the stampin scrub? Thank you in advance for all of you help
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-09-2006, 08:38 PM   #2
Mad Swapper

They clean right on the block. Mine do not fall off. Also it is much easier to wipe an acrylic block than to get ink off wood. I thought that putting them on blocks would take longer. Nope! Actually, I stamp faster as I am not digging for sets. Just lay that CD out there and pop them on and off. I have about 5 blocks and so I can set some aside to clean later if I am on a roll. I find it is much more time efficient, things stay more organized, and I actually get more stamping done. Also, freeing all that space allowed my organization to become more efficient and I doubled my table space and added a recliner for a visiting non-stamper friend!
Old 06-09-2006, 08:41 PM   #3
Hardware Hotshot

Thank you! I also have another question that I forgot about. What needs to be done to a regular wood mount stamp that is already wood mounted? Also what is the cost of the blocks?
Old 06-09-2006, 08:42 PM   #4
Insane Embellisher

I clean my unmounted stamps in exactly the same way as the wood mounts. I've never had a problem with them falling off. It takes barely any time at all to slap the static cling on an acrylic block. You can see where you're stamping, so you don't have to line anything up. For me, I love the space it saves, and it's every bit as easy as it is to grab a wood mounted stamp. It's also a lot easier initially. All you have to do is stick the stamp on some EZ Mount, cut it out, and you're done!
Old 06-09-2006, 08:58 PM   #5
Stazon Splitcoast

Scroll down through this thread for mor answers...
How many are switching....?
John 3:16
Old 06-09-2006, 09:28 PM   #6
Hardware Hotshot

Thank you so much. That thread was very helpful. I have one more question. I'm not really in a pinch for space, I have a whole big room just for stamping, and also I only have 20 sets so far. That being said, would you still recommend going with acrylic?
Sorry for all the questions.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:28 PM   #7
Stazon Splitcoast

If you only have 20 sets, it's easy to keep track of where you have everything. You are not in need of the organizational aspects of unmounted.
That being said, the one really great advantage of acrylic blocks is that you can see where you are placing the image. I can place an image directly in the center of a card. Or since I am often using more than one image at a time, I *really* like the see-thru advantage.
John 3:16
Old 06-10-2006, 04:53 AM   #8
Pearl-ExPert

I'll echo GarnetJ - I like using my unmounted stamps becasue I can see exactly where I'm going to stamp.

And as she also mentioned, you can put more than one stamp on the block at a time.

Great for alphabets.

Kathy
Old 06-10-2006, 05:41 AM   #9
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
When I told DH I was going to unmount all my stamps. He was very skeptical because he wasn't about to pay or help me put them back on wood. So DD (age 7 at the time) and I unmounted a bunch of stamps, ones that weren't as often used as the others.

We used them for 3 months. Finally we decided this was the way to go. DH started in with the "oh, it'll be to much of a hassle to find a block, stick on the stamp, etc.." So DD had DH sit at the table and she showed him how this works. She got the stamp out of the binder, got a block and started stamping. She said something like if she could do it he could do it. LOL!!!

So here it is two years later, I've unmounted a little over 5,000 images and I am really happy with this system. I keep all my blocks in a little mini 3 drawer unit right next to my binders of stamps. No hunting for the blocks, no time lost.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:25 AM   #10
Mad Swapper

I actually use those obscure stamps more because they are so accessible. I love grabbing all the CD's that say "Summer" on the spine and creating without having to look for things that work together. It really adds to my creativity.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:35 PM   #11
Hardware Hotshot

Thank you all so much for all of your help. I am really thinking about doing this now. If nothing else, I could always start with a set I don't use much to find out if I like it. Thanks again everyone!
Old 06-10-2006, 02:30 PM   #12
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEmily
Thank you all so much for all of your help. I am really thinking about doing this now. If nothing else, I could always start with a set I don't use much to find out if I like it. Thanks again everyone!

That is a very good idea! But I don't think you'll regret it! Most people like unmounted rubber stamps either because of the storage space issue, or because they are 1/2 the price if you buy those. For me, I needed BOTH problems solved so it's perfect.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:00 PM   #13
Mad Swapper

Just know, that short of giving birth (LOL) it was the most scary undertaking for me. I actually felt a little sick wondering if I was ruining my stamps and if I could go back if I did not like them. I did my 5 most used sets and used them that way for a week. By the end of the week I was so convinced that I plunged in totally and now that it is done I just sit and smile at my stamps all neatly organized. They were organized before but this is so much better. I think trying it is a good idea. Know that you are not alone in the fear. The truth is that it can be undone if you decide you don't like it IF you save your blocks. Good luck and let us know the outcome!
Old 06-10-2006, 05:23 PM   #14
Hardware Hotshot

SCEmily,

I know there are a lot of places to get blocks. Look at www.sundayint.com

This is where I got a lot of mine. $1.00 to $2.50. There are only so many sizes you need., not everyone, but this will give you some ideas.

HTH

Karen

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Old 06-10-2006, 06:53 PM   #15
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEmily
Thank you so much. That thread was very helpful. I have one more question. I'm not really in a pinch for space, I have a whole big room just for stamping, and also I only have 20 sets so far. That being said, would you still recommend going with acrylic?
Sorry for all the questions.
I'm a die-hard wood-mount fan and always will be. I personally would never dis-mount them. Even though I have well over 100 sets, but it's the convenience issue for me. I prefer the convenience of WM.

I have been working extensively the last few weeks with some high quality clear stamps and acrylic blocks. Some images I want are available only in a clear/UM version, so if I want it, and that's the only way it comes, I'll invest in them, but for the most part, if I have the option to choose, I go WM every time, even with space issues.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:24 PM   #16
Pearl-ExPert

You can also get blocks from CTMH, they are a little more expensive than some blocks but they are thick, have beveled edges and a "registration" line to help you line things up.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com