Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PTI?

Since I'm going to order some of the dies I was looking at the buttons. It says 50-150. That is quite a difference. About how a
Many usually come in a package? Are they worth it and any colors that are great?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It really depends on the buttons that end up in there because I think they get packed by weight (about three ounces, maybe). My recollection is that there was a run of black buttons where the buttons were HUGE and the quantity in the bag was much smaller than all the other colors at that time. Because of that batch, they dropped the lower end of the estimate. It's usually a decent quantity (quite frankly, I feel like more buttons than I can use in a lifetime).

Which colors are "great" depends on your faves. I will say that moss/chartreuse/avocado end up pretty similar. Fine linen is a great bag if you want neutrals.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Received 123 Likes on 109 Posts

Several years ago when PTI offered the cute little jars with a mix of colors, I ordered the Spring Mix collection. I was pretty disappointed with what I received.

About 20% of the buttons were the shank style. Even if there was an easy way to remove the shank from those, they were still much too thick and bulky to be practical to use on cards. So for me, 20% of my purchase ended up being useless.

A lot of the regular buttonhole style buttons I received were also thicker and heavier than I like to use as embellishments, and a number of them don't seem to match colors well with my cardstock. However, I've also done some fun things with them. It's hard to tell from the photo, but on this card I nested a small yellow button in the recess of a thicker pink button.

Overall I felt the PTI buttons weren't a good investment for me. Since every package is different, you might have better results, and if you do decide to order them, I hope that's the case.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2012, 07:48 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

I went ahead and ordered 2 colors. I hope they don't have ones that are the shank style.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2012, 08:08 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

I have lots of PTI, but I have never ordered their buttons. The next time you are looking for buttons, have a look at A Muse Studio's. They come in bags of 200 for $5.95. I have all the colors and have never come across a shanked button. They are called, "Not Your Grandma's Bag of Buttons." which cracks me up.
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #6  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by stargirlView Post
I have lots of PTI, but I have never ordered their buttons. The next time you are looking for buttons, have a look at A Muse Studio's. They come in bags of 200 for $5.95. I have all the colors and have never come across a shanked button. They are called, "Not Your Grandma's Bag of Buttons." which cracks me up.
Good to know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2012, 05:20 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2012, 05:33 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have PIT's buttons in about 10 of the colors. Am VERY pleased with them. Don't recall finding buttons with shanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2012, 06:28 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I have PTI buttons in 5 collections. I am amazed at some of the fun ones I find when digging thru them. Some of them are on the large side, so I pulled them out and use them for other things. I wish I didn't have to cut some of them, but it isn't a big deal with my Tim Holtz scissors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I ordered the PTI brown and was sorely disappointed because there were so few that weren't plain old 4-hole shirt buttons. I think out of about 150 buttons, only 11 were the 2-hole unique buttons I had hoped for, and those 11 were all the same.

Bahb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by BahbView Post
I ordered the PTI brown and was sorely disappointed because there were so few that weren't plain old 4-hole shirt buttons. I think out of about 150 buttons, only 11 were the 2-hole unique buttons I had hoped for, and those 11 were all the same.

Bahb
Ditto....I had some that had "writing" on them...didn't care for it AT all. I absolutely hated the buttons with the shanks.

I'm an a|s consultant and have every color of buttons we carry. The colors are well coordinated with shades and consistent enough that if I'm making a project that requires several of the same button, I will have them. The colors are amazing and I was happily surprised at the quantity of buttons each package had.

I also love SU's buttons. Again, consistency in the designs offered and you know exactly how many you are getting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2012, 04:54 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

I have ALL the PTI colors of buttons. And other than a bad bag of black buttons, I like them all. The colors don't necessarily match, but DO coordinate which I like. And the variety of buttons is fun. Yes, some have writing on them. Sometimes I like that. If I don't, I just flip it over and use the other side or a different button from the bag. As there are approx a zillion in each bag, still have plenty to choose from. Shanks are easily cut off with toe-nail clippers. ;)

The greens are very similar, so I'd suggest only getting one. Same with some of the lighter blues. But for $5, I feel I always get my money's worth out of them.

PS I also have Amuse buttons and really didn't see much difference between those that PTIs. And the SU buttons that I have are not only more expensive but more limited. I prefer the randomness of the PTI mix.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

My order came. I got hibiscus burst ( a pink) and Hawaiian Shores ( Light teal). Good variety and some fun ones in each. A couple with words, I can just use the other side. Pink had more larger ones and not as many small as I would have liked. Great sizes on the blue green ones. Only about 3 or so shank ones.
Reply With Quote Likes