Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-09-2008, 08:23 AM   #41
Insane Embellisher

I really feel like I am missing something here. I am new to stamping and a new SU demo. I just bought two wheels (the one with the spiders to decorate my kids lunch bags and Scandinavian boarder because it is so pretty!) I forgot to substitute the pink ink cartridge in my starter kit for black so I just used a big ink pad and it worked great! Besides the storage issue, which I don't think I will be buying a lot of this style of stamps, I really feel like I am lost to understand why people don't like the wheels. I don't see using them any more or any less which ever way they are mounted. I've already sold two handles, wheels and cartridges on my first order. Hope they stay happy customers using them.
Sorry this is long...but couldn't you still demo them unmounted showing how versatile they are either way. You still get sales.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-13-2008, 02:51 PM   #42
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseolson View Post
I really feel like I am missing something here. I am new to stamping and a new SU demo. I just bought two wheels (the one with the spiders to decorate my kids lunch bags and Scandinavian boarder because it is so pretty!) I forgot to substitute the pink ink cartridge in my starter kit for black so I just used a big ink pad and it worked great! Besides the storage issue, which I don't think I will be buying a lot of this style of stamps, I really feel like I am lost to understand why people don't like the wheels. I don't see using them any more or any less which ever way they are mounted. I've already sold two handles, wheels and cartridges on my first order. Hope they stay happy customers using them.
Sorry this is long...but couldn't you still demo them unmounted showing how versatile they are either way. You still get sales.
For me, it was inking. I don't own the big ink pads (a storage consideration). So inking a wheel with a spot was tedious when it was on a roll. I've unmounted and now it is very easy to ink - even use multiple colors.

I bought my blocks from Sunday International - sundayint.com I bought both the 1x7 and 2x7. I also use Tack-it-Over glue instead of foam...but adhesive type is a personal preference

Help us create a StampinUp Gallery Index
Old 10-22-2008, 11:46 AM   #43
Kit
Compulsive Stamper

Question unmounting wheels

So, I have a question???? How does one unmount a wheel? I have seen so many with a seem, and the ones I have don't have any. I was thinking about a knife to seperate the seems? And if I do, then do I just peel the rubber?? Me scared. Heeeeeellllpppp?
Old 10-22-2008, 11:57 AM   #44
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
So, I have a question???? How does one unmount a wheel? I have seen so many with a seem, and the ones I have don't have any. I was thinking about a knife to seperate the seems? And if I do, then do I just peel the rubber?? Me scared. Heeeeeellllpppp?
Don't be scared. It's really easy! The wheels all have a seam. Just take your craft knife and separate the glue at the seam. I've also used my craft and rubber scissors to get the seam apart. The rubber is stuck on the wheel with rubber cement, and it peels off very easily once you lift a corner.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 10-22-2008, 01:32 PM   #45
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kissy View Post
I think one of the biggest pros for me will be being able to use any ink, and not having to buy every cartridge and then buy reinkers and uninked cartridges to make the ones that they don't sell.

Thanks for weighing in everyone, I appreciate it.

Erin
I do not use the ink cartridges all the time just roll the stamp across the inkpad. It works fine. I like the ease of rolling. I did unmount my other stamps but not my rollers.

My Blog http://crazystamplady.blogspot.com
Old 10-22-2008, 01:39 PM   #46
Die Cut Diva

I unmounted all my wheels and have never been sorry. I use them now and never did before. I bought a 7" block and ez mount from Sunday International. I make mostly cards and they work perfect or I can ink part of them to cut out. I love it!
Old 10-22-2008, 04:46 PM   #47
Compulsive Stamper

I stressed and stressed over doing this and once I did - I will never ever go back. They stamp perfectly every time and I just love that as I could never do the rolling thing properly.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:10 AM   #48
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I had no idea when I first started that you could unmount your wheels, so I gave it a try with a couple of them after reading about it here. I unmounted two: an alphabet one and a snowglobes one.

Do I use them more now? No. You do have to keep in mind that I really don't enjoy unmounted stamps all that much. I prefer wood-mounted images whenever I have the chance.

That being said, I think to make your choice, you should ask yourself what is your MAIN use for the wheels. I like creating backgrounds on my cards, my scrapbook pages, boxes, gift wrap... Wheeling is really quick and precise once you get the hang of it (and possibly the wheel guide). Stamping a whole background with an unmounted wheel is not quick and not precise.

On the other hand, if you want to use the wheels as a main image or use the images separately (like I did with my alphabet wheel), then it might be a good idea to unmount.

Maybe you can even unmount some and keep the other ones as wheels depending on their uses! Keep in mind that once unmounted, the rubber is pretty long, so you need a long acrylic block to stamp the whole image, which makes it a little harder to handle, too.

One thing's for sure, if you plan on demo'ing them at all, going unmounted is probably not the best idea.

I hope that helps some!
Cindy

Visit my gallery! ... or my blog (Yes, I caved!)
Old 10-23-2008, 10:17 AM   #49
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I'm thnking of buying some wheels but I definately think I want to unmount them...looks to hard to use and I don't want to have to buy the cartridges. My question is where to find the acrylic blocks to mount them on, especailly one that's long enough? In general where can you buy the blocks? ANd how long is the stamp once it's unmounted? Thanks!
Old 10-23-2008, 11:10 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minders View Post
I'm thnking of buying some wheels but I definately think I want to unmount them...looks to hard to use and I don't want to have to buy the cartridges. My question is where to find the acrylic blocks to mount them on, especailly one that's long enough? In general where can you buy the blocks? ANd how long is the stamp once it's unmounted? Thanks!
Not to talk you out of it (as I love mine unmounted) - but if you haven't tried it as a wheel, you might want to do that before you unmount. You don't have to get the cartridges - if you are only doing card fronts, then you can ink the wheel using the large pads (if you have spots, then you can, but it is just tedious).

As for where to get the blocks - I got mine from Sunday International (sundayint.com) - they have both a 1x7 and a 2x7 to fit the regular and jumbo wheels.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:27 PM   #51
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane617 View Post
I still roll them in the handle over inkpads, if it's a color I don't have a cartridge for. Faster and less messy
I've been trying this tonight and on an 8.5x11 page the skinny way side I was losing inked image by the end even on the juiciest pads.

I dont want to have to buy a buncha cartridge inks too I've already spent so much! Im contemplating unmounting mine. I'd never make wrapping paper anyhow!
Old 10-25-2008, 07:28 PM   #52
Rubber Obsessor

As for where to get the blocks - I got mine from Sunday International (sundayint.com) - they have both a 1x7 and a 2x7 to fit the regular and jumbo wheels.[/QUOTE]

Are you talking acrylic or wood blocks and what do you adhere the stamps with?
Old 10-25-2008, 07:31 PM   #53
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by misssez View Post
I want to unmount but am worried about finding an acrylic block long enough...so far all the ones I have seen in my area are too short.
CTMH makes a wide variety of acrylic blocks dont have the specs off hand but i know one is like 2x9
Old 10-25-2008, 07:35 PM   #54
Rubber Obsessor

I'm loving this thread. I unmounted ALL my SU stamps (and the few other wood-mounteds I had) as soon as I quit being a demo, for storage purposes, but only gave thought to unmounting my wheels for about a 1/2 second. The only time I ever use them is for rolling a single line across a gift bag for use as "shopping bags" at the craft fairs where I sell (which is, like, a couple of times a year), so I rarely use them and forget they're there, like so many have said. Now I'm thinking it would be far more valuable to actually use my wheel images unmounted than just to keep them mounted and unused except for those rare occasions. And if I need a longer strip, I can always use my invaluable Stamp-a-ma-jig!

Whats a stamp a ma jig? Is that a SU product?
Old 10-26-2008, 05:51 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinlyn80 View Post
Whats a stamp a ma jig? Is that a SU product?
The stamp-a-ma-jig is a tool that allows you to place your image exactly where you want on your paper.

Stamp-a-ma-jig is sold by SU (current catalog p192). But, like many SU tool products, it is made by someone else and is available at places like Michaels. The original one is purple in color.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:55 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinlyn80 View Post
Quote:
As for where to get the blocks - I got mine from Sunday International (sundayint.com) - they have both a 1x7 and a 2x7 to fit the regular and jumbo wheels.
Are you talking acrylic or wood blocks and what do you adhere the stamps with?
The blocks from Sunday Int are acrylic. For my wheels, I leave them as just rubber. On the blocks I've used the Tack-n-Peel product from Tsukineko. The product is like super-sticky-tape on one side and really tacky tape on the other (so you can peel things off again). The tape is permanently adhered to the blocks. When I'm ready to use a wheel, I just pull off the liner from the tacky side and place my wheel rubber on it. When I'm done, I pull the wheel rubber off and put the liner back over. I store my wheels in an SU stamp box...I have quite a few in one box (over 20).

Old 10-26-2008, 09:19 AM   #57
Insane Embellisher

Cindy, I really like your gallery, especially the skaters card and the "mitten" card, as I have both of those sets and need to get going using them. They are elegant with the French words. I wish we could have them in the US.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:41 PM   #58
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamps4funGin View Post
You could put rubber bands and try other things on the wheels for other types of odd backgrounds. I have heard of people doing it, never tried it myself.
Good idea! I have half a dozen wheels that I rarely use and just haven't gotten around to unmounting them yet. I was trying to think what the wheel could be used for, I would hate to just throw it out.

I love to find things to make interesting texture for backgrounds. I'm thinking I'll coat them with Aleene's Tack It Over and Over so I can stick and unstick different things to them.

Thanks!

Old 10-26-2008, 03:33 PM   #59
Pearl-ExPert

let the kids play with them! they make great cars.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:52 AM   #60
Rubber Obsessor

I unmounted two wheels so far. I have many and I never use them as they are stored separately. I gave up on the ink cartridges years ago as it was easier just to run if over my stamp pad. I will probably unmount the rest as they are not getting used the way they are. I seem to have a problem stamping straight with the wheel.

Unmounted they work just great! I have even cut some of mine into squares so I can use a single image easier. (the easter block wheel makes cute little accents)
Old 12-07-2008, 11:24 AM   #61
Gabfest Goddess

Another vote for unmounting them. I think they are very affordable unmounted. . .

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.